Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!

Toiletbrush posted:

- Is there something like hdparm, so that I can disable a today's laptop's drive's annoying power management?
ataidle in ports may be what you're after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

Anyone have any thoughts on hosting with hub.org? A 'Personal' VPS is only about £4/month there - I just need it for being a secondary nameserver and maybe MX for my personal low-traffic domains.

Or is there a goon-run hosting company that can do something similar (i.e. a little VPS you get root access to) for that sort of money?

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

Agreed, but I'd probably find other uses for having another server :) I've just signed up with afraid.org to check that out, thanks for the pointer.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

JamesOff posted:

I've just signed up with afraid.org to check that out, thanks for the pointer.
Replying to myself to state for the record that afraid.org's free DNS backup NS service is working great.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

I much prefer pf over ipfw. I don't do anything too special with my firewalling or demand too much of it, but I much prefer the way pf has a parsed configuration file rather than just a script of "ipfw" commands. I've found my firewall stuff much easier to maintain and a lot less scary to reload with pf.

Plus, there's pftop and pflog, which are both awesome.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

I ran amd64 on my Athlon64 for a bit, but gave up because I got bored of things like win32-codecs not working so I couldn't play a load of media files.

This was a year or two ago now, so it might be better now, but if you need anything that uses things like that it would be worth checking.

Performance-wise, I didn't notice any difference.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

Sure you're not thinking of mergemaster? freebsd-update is reasonably new and does things slightly differently. Mergemaster does now have a couple of options that try to make it ask about less stuff, have a look in its -h output.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

I'm using a FreeBSD machine as a home server including hosting network storage for my flatmate and me. It's becoming time to upgrade the storage, so we're going to buy a couple of 2TB disks each to chuck in the box, replacing my 4x 250GB RAID5 (attached to a HighPoint HPT374).

I'm really quite interested in using ZFS for it, but the machine itself is a dual P3-1GHz with 768MB of RAM (aww :) ). For all the stuff this box does at home, this is plenty. It's not going to cut it for ZFS though as I don't want to run ZFS on i386 :)

I'm after recommendations for a suitable replacement motherboard and CPU so I can install amd64 and chuck a few GB of RAM in, and then use ZFS for the new disks. The machine is on 24h/day so the lower power the better - hopefully something that powerd can understand and clock down when it's idle.

Related to that, anyone have any experience of setting disks used in a ZFS array to spin down when idle? Does it work ok or does it make ZFS upset?

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

enotnert posted:

One of my friends is running something similar and he bought a mini-itx atom board. Low power, and runs his raidz2 just fine. I'll see if I can't get ahold of him today and get the exact model of what he has. I know he said the board + 4 gigs of ram was less than $250

Thanks, would be interested to see what he went with.

SamDabbers posted:

What's your budget? I've been very happy with the performance and reliability of this combo, but I realize it's a bit overkill for just a home server:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182145
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116093

This is along the lines of what I was looking at, although that motherboard is a bit more than I was thinking of. Was talking to my housemate last night about it and we were discussing the option of shunting transcoding jobs onto the server (for things like iPhones/iPods) so our thoughts turned to the c2d too.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

my stepdads beer posted:

How is this not the default :(

If you use portmaster (/usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portmaster) to install/upgrade things, it does all the configs first and also downloads source archives in the background while other things are building.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

There's a note about it in /usr/ports/UPDATING

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

I'm going to put together a VM appliance for my customers to use, just a syslog/ftp sink for logs and backups from other parts of our solution, for smaller customers who don't have that sort of infrastructure in place already.

I'd like it to be FreeBSD because that's the OS I know best for this, but I need a front end menu for things like "configure IP". Something similar to what sysinstall used (and I guess the new installer, I haven't installed from scratch for a while) so I can have a simple menu and some text fields. All the stuff to go behind that I'm fine with building myself, but I'm after suggestions for the front-end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

Do you need to rebuild world or will just /usr/src/usr.bin/openssl or similar do?

• Locked thread