Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeciusMagnus
Mar 16, 2004

Seven times five
They were livin' creatures
Watch 'em come to life
Right before your eyes

Ninja Rope posted:

You don't need to recompile your kernel to get (lin)procfs, they should be available as modules if they're not already there in your kernel. You might need to load the modules, though, via kldload. I don't remember if they're in the GENERIC kernel by default.

I didn't have to recompile to get it working in 6.2 or 6.3. IIRC, the kernel should come compiled with most drivers and options enabled in order to be as generic as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeciusMagnus
Mar 16, 2004

Seven times five
Watch 'em come to life
Right before your eyes

JHVH-1 posted:

I thought when you pipe ls instead of outputting it to the screen it doesn't need -1.

If the ls command is aliased with -C flag it will force columnar output. It could also be some Darwin-specific thing (although I thought most of Darwin's userland was from FreeBSD).

j6p posted:

With that solved, though, can anyone produce a command to solve the former interpretation of the question?

I interpreted the question in two ways:
code:
ls -1 /home/*/k* | wc -l > k-users-files
or
code:
ls -1 /home/k* | wc -l > k-users-files
edit:
If you wanted to be absolutely correct the last one could be
code:
find /home/k* -prune -type d | while read entry ; do ls "$entry" ; done | wc -l > k-users-files
Otherwise you could list a non-directory entry beginning with k in the home directory. I don't know why you might have a non-directory entry in the home directory though.

DeciusMagnus fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 13, 2008

DeciusMagnus
Mar 16, 2004

Seven times five
Watch 'em come to life
Right before your eyes

atticus posted:

Or moreso, is there even a difference between "Packages" and "Ports" ???

Packages are compiled software while ports are sources to software that need to be built. Packages are usually faster than ports to install, but if you need to customize a build you'll have to use ports. Also, that last time I used pkg_add to install the software I wanted I found there was some software that didn't have any packages, but I can almost always find a port of some software I need.

DeciusMagnus
Mar 16, 2004

Seven times five
Watch 'em come to life
Right before your eyes
Speaking of Linux compatibility, I use Linux Firefox and the Flash 7 plug-in for Linux in an attempt to make Youtube work. I can see the video but the sound gets out of sync. Has anyone else had this problem? Has anyone been able to fix this? I tried using version 9 of Flash but it just crashes on Youtube.

DeciusMagnus
Mar 16, 2004

Seven times five
Watch 'em come to life
Right before your eyes
How's running FreeBSD 64-bit? I remember people cautioning against 64-bit Windows for various reasons (something about drivers and applications support or something) and I was wondering if 64-bit FreeBSD had it's reasons for avoiding it as well. Is Windows just having problems with 64-bit (if it still does)?

DeciusMagnus
Mar 16, 2004

Seven times five
Watch 'em come to life
Right before your eyes

jnr posted:

Just install native Firefox and www/swfdec-plugin if you want youtube. It's not perfect and doesn't work for everything (yet!), but youtube plays perfectly and the sound stays in sync unlike with Adobe's binary.

swfdec didn't really work out well for Youtube; I cannot see any video but I can hear the audio. I also tried wine with Windows Firefox and Windows Flash and that worked well. I also tried gnash and that worked too except none of the controls on Youtube worked, just the audio and video.

I would rather not have use Windows Firefox all the time, but it's nice to know it's there in a bind when Gnash is having problems.

DeciusMagnus
Mar 16, 2004

Seven times five
Watch 'em come to life
Right before your eyes

jnr posted:

I don't know what to tell you. It works perfectly for me under Epiphany, FF2, and FF3. What browser are you using?

Firefox 3. I was just posting alternatives I've tried and their results in case anyone else is having problems. I've started moving most of my desktop activities to FreeBSD, but I was afraid things like lack of Flash support would keep me from completely switching, but these findings are reassuring. I'm going to have to keep my Windows box for games though.

DeciusMagnus
Mar 16, 2004

Seven times five
Watch 'em come to life
Right before your eyes
My motherboard has an onboard GeForce 8200. In the past I have been able to get Xorg to work with full resolution and bit depth. I have recently upgraded Xorg only to find that it no longer will start up. I just get an error about the card not being supported. I don't have any older logs so I can't see what configuration it was using that worked before. Isn't there a way to fallback? I just need 2D capabilities for desktop applications (web, email, etc). Is there someway to get this to work again?

FreeBSD 7.0 amd64
Xorg 7.4

DeciusMagnus
Mar 16, 2004

Seven times five
Watch 'em come to life
Right before your eyes

CrzyDTpBoy posted:

Do you know which driver you're running? If you don't know how to find out, post the output of `pkg_info | grep xf86`.

It wouldn't hurt to go to 7.2 (current 7-STABLE) since there are a bunch of drm/dri fixes.

Right now no driver is being used. Xorg won't use any of the one's built. I would be using xf86-video-nv though. I can't use x11/nvidia-driver because it only works on i386. I will upgrade at one point but not until I've run out of other options.

code:
libXxf86dga-1.0.2   X DGA Extension
libXxf86misc-1.0.1  X XF86-Misc Extension
libXxf86vm-1.0.2    X Vidmode Extension
xf86-input-keyboard-1.3.2_1 X.Org keyboard input driver
xf86-input-mouse-1.4.0_5 X.Org mouse input driver
xf86-video-ati-6.12.2 X.Org ati display driver
xf86-video-dummy-0.3.1 X.Org dummy display driver
xf86-video-fbdev-0.4.0_1 X.Org fbdev display driver
xf86-video-mach64-6.8.0_2 X.Org mach64 display driver
xf86-video-nv-2.1.13 X.Org nv display driver
xf86-video-r128-6.8.0_2 X.Org r128 display driver
xf86-video-radeonhd-1.2.5 X.Org ati RadeonHD display driver
xf86-video-vesa-2.1.0_1 X.Org vesa display driver
xf86bigfontproto-1.1.2 XFree86-Bigfont extension headers
xf86dga-1.0.2_1     Test program for the XFree86-DGA extension
xf86dgaproto-2.0.3  XFree86-DGA extension headers
xf86driproto-2.0.4  XFree86-DRI extension headers
xf86miscproto-0.9.2 XFree86-Misc extension headers
xf86rushproto-1.1.2 XFree86-Rush extension headers
xf86vidmodeproto-2.2.2 XFree86-VidModeExtension extension headers
edit: Just upgraded to 7.1-RELEASE.

DeciusMagnus fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 24, 2009

DeciusMagnus
Mar 16, 2004

Seven times five
Watch 'em come to life
Right before your eyes
Got it fixed now. I eventually got the server to run but I wasn't aware that the default background was now a solid black, instead of the grey/black checkered pattern, so I didn't think it was working. Oh well, at least the card I got now is officially supported. I don't know if it's making any use of acceleration or on-board memory though.

DeciusMagnus
Mar 16, 2004

Seven times five
Watch 'em come to life
Right before your eyes

CrzyDTpBoy posted:

Use glxinfo. If you don't have it, it's part of graphics/mesa-demos.

It looks like I'm using software rendering with Mesa. I am currently using a GeForce 8400 GS. Is there any way to get hardware OpenGL support with it on amd64? From my initial searches on Google, it doesn't appear so.

DeciusMagnus
Mar 16, 2004

Seven times five
Watch 'em come to life
Right before your eyes
I have a KVM switch (IOGEAR GCS932U) between my mouse and keyboard. Hitting the scroll lock twice causes KVM to switch between computers, but if I press it just once it should toggle scroll lock. My Windows box does as such, but not my FreeBSD box. Also, in X11 the numlock light is on but the numpad behaves like it is off, and when I toggle numlock off the numpad behaves like it is on. Is there any way to solve this?

DeciusMagnus
Mar 16, 2004

Seven times five
Watch 'em come to life
Right before your eyes
I'm having a problem with make. I want to use the POSIX default rules, which include .c.a, but they aren't being defined. I am even specifying the .POSIX special target, but when make parses /usr/share/mk/sys.mk, where .c.a exists, it doesn't define the rule. One option, that even POSIX makes note of, is to supply the POSIX rules with my makefile, but I seriously want to know why make isn't honoring the POSIX special target at that point. Should this be considered a bug?

DeciusMagnus
Mar 16, 2004

Seven times five
Watch 'em come to life
Right before your eyes
I'm having difficulty finding any solution to my problem online. I have my Windows and FreeBSD box hooked up to a USB KVM and when I switch from FreeBSD to Windows the mouse no longer works on X11. The kernel reconnects the mouse and hald sees the mouse reconnect again. I can use the mouse in the console, but when switching back to the FreeBSD box, X11 can't detect the mouse again. Nothing in the logs are obvious. Both hald and dbus are running and in the rc.conf and restarting them doesn't fix it consistently as a workaround.
pre:
FreeBSD gamet 8.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE #0: Thu Feb 17 02:41:51 UTC 2011     root@mason.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE amd64 
Current Operating System: FreeBSD gamet 8.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE #0: Thu Feb 17 02:41:51 UTC 2011     root@mason.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC amd64
Build Date: 04 March 2011  01:41:38PM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeciusMagnus
Mar 16, 2004

Seven times five
Watch 'em come to life
Right before your eyes
Apparently I don't have a very good KVM because when a machine is booting up, the KVM needs to active on that machine or certain things (like display settings) won't be right. Getting a new KVM may solve many issues, but I still don't understand why Xorg can reattach a USB keyboard but not a USB mouse.

• Locked thread