Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004
You can use proc in FreeBSD, it's just not there by default. Add to /etc/fstab:

proc /proc procfs rw 0 0

or for linux-compatible proc:

linproc /compat/linux/proc linprocfs rw 0 0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004
GENERIC will come with all of the necessary options I believe. If you have a custom kernel you definitely want to check your configuration file to make sure you didn't comment it out.

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004
Frenzy is my favorite FreeBSD live CD.

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004
Compiz-fusion is in the ports tree. If your video card is supported it should work. I had it running on my system.

Anybody who has ever tried to install compiz-fusion on any system will probably tell you that things generally don't go exactly as planned. If you're using nvidia, I'll save you an hour of Googling. You must re-install your nvidia drivers from the ports tree if you have installed xorg-server since you last installed the nvidia driver. The reason is that nvidia installs its own version of glx and xorg-server overwrites it.

You must do this every time you upgrade xorg-server. A pain in the rear end, I know.

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004
I tried it under RC1. ULE has great benchmarks so I was expecting great things. What I saw didn't really impress me and I switched back to 4BSD.

I was running it on a desktop machine and whenever I was compiling it would kill the UI responsiveness. I had Xorg, moused, and Fluxbox reniced to -20 but that didn't change a thing. Under 4BSD I didn't see the problem. It's kind of ironic as the FreeBSD team recommends it for a desktop system for the exact opposite reason--they seem to think that a desktop environment should run better under ULE.

To be fair, I was running on a single core machine. ULE is supposed to really shine with multiple processors. But if they're going to move over to it by default in 7.1 it should run at least as well as 4BSD for a single processor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004
There has been a few months of development heavily focused on the scheduler since RC1, and the most recent benchmarks are post-RC1. I was actually following it on the mailing list. ULE may be worth another look.

I know the SQL benchmarks I've seen are nothing short of amazing. Not to mention the network and memory benchmarks (though unrelated to the scheduler). At the moment I the only FreeBSD box I have is 6.2 and I don't want to go to all of the trouble of rebuilding my ports quite yet.

• Locked thread