Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK
I run a small web server in my apartment for web development between a few people. It currently runs Ubuntu, but I've been considering switching to FreeBSD. One thing is, I use the computer for other things besides the web server. My video card (Radeon X1300) only works properly in Ubuntu with the fglrx driver, and I'm not sure how well it would work in FreeBSD. I really only need it working so it can support a widescreen resolution. The vesa driver will not support it, from what I've read and experienced. It's pretty much the only thing holding me back from switching.

Anyone know if there's some way to get that specific video card working on FreeBSD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

timb posted:

http://www.fglrx-freebsd.com -- Though, the site appears to be down right now.

FreeBSD 7.0 may have better support built in, I'm not entirely sure.

In all honesty, you can blame ATI / AMD for being a bag of cunts.

Yeah, I'm never buying another ATI card after the issues I've had with their lovely drivers. Thanks for the link. I'll check it out when it comes back up.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

ZippySLC posted:

Out of curiosity, why?

Just to broaden my knowledge really. I've always used some flavor of Linux, but have hardly any experience with BSD. I know the two are similar in some ways, so I figure that learning it won't be terribly hard. There's nothing on the web server that needs to be accessed 24/7. It's just a code testing pool really, so any downtime due to me figuring things out is 100% acceptable. It's a personal machine of mine in the end, which I let some friends use to occasionally develop stuff.

• Locked thread