Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
Yay, BSD thread! :woop:

I just jumped back into FreeBSD with version 7, but I can't get Xorg configured right. It just insists on vga mode, which sucks balls. If start KDE I can use the desktop config app to reset the resolution to 1600x1280@60hz just fine, but I don't like being chained to KDE and I'd prefer X to just work. I've tried both xorg -configure and xorg config. It seems they've decided gently caress you if it doesn't just work and deleted xorgcfg, what in the gently caress? Is there some way I could build it myself? I'm seriously thinking it's just too much trouble, and I'm wondering if I shouldn't just go and install Open instead since that's what I use on my other machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

CrzyDTpBoy posted:

If it's not Nvidia do `egrep "EE|WW" /var/log/Xorg.0.log` to look for errors. Alternately, post your xorg.conf and I'll see if anything sticks out.

All the EE|WW lines in the log:
(WW) `fonts.dir' not found (or not valid) in "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/local/".
(That always seems to be there.)
(WW) OS did not count PCI devices, guessing wildly
(WW) RADEON: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:1:0:1) found
Of course the next line is:
(--) Chipset ATI Radeon 9600 AP (AGP) found :doh:
(WW) RADEON(0): No crtc mode list for crtc 1,continuing with desired mode
(WW) RADEON(0): DRI init changed memory map, adjusting ...
(WW) RADEON(0): MC_FB_LOCATION was: 0xefffe000 is: 0xefffe000
(WW) RADEON(0): MC_AGP_LOCATION was: 0xffffffc0 is: 0xf87ff800
And that's it. No EE lines at all. It's an all-in-wonder, but the tv tuner died. That shouldn't matter, since FreeBSD's never known it was there before. Otherwise the card works fine and dandy. The dead tuner shouldn't matter, but we all know what happens when you say "should(n't)".

I wonder if this isn't some of the problem:
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such file or directory)
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such file or directory)
drmOpenDevice: Open failed
drmOpenByBusid: Searching for BusID pci:0000:01:00.0
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is 8, (OK)
drmOpenByBusid: drmOpenMinor returns 8
drmOpenByBusid: drmGetBusid reports pci:0000:01:00.0

Sorry 'bout all of that gobblygook.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

CrzyDTpBoy posted:

That card doesn't have both DVI & VGA, does it?

Post your xorg.conf or see if you can get that KDE program to write one for you.

Clicky

That's what xorg -configure gives me. I've been trying to get google to tell me how to get the config out of KDE, but no joy.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Sergeant Hobo posted:

Is there some easy way to remove a lot of packages without typing out pkg_delete [package] a million times? My first thought was to go back into the ports collection and do make uninstall but that doesn't work at all (feels like it should though).

pkg_delete -f * I think is what I do to dump everything before an upgrade. Might need to run it a few times in case stuff doesn't want to uninstall because of dependencies.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

EvilMoFo posted:

man pkg_delete

-a Unconditionally delete all currently installed packages.

Pffpt, real men don't read man pages. :clint:

Seriously though, when did that bit of niftiness happen? OpenBSD's pkg_delete doesn't seem to have it.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

EvilMoFo posted:

oh, not too long ago at all

Practically yesterday then. :v: Man, I wonder why Open's never adopted it? Or maybe it has, and it's not in the man page.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
:downs: OpenBSD upgrade tip: When booting from the ramdisk kernel to upgrade, it helps to use the bsd.rd from the release you're trying to install.

Also, remembering where you saved the install sets. :doh:

I'm patting myself on the back though, because that's all I hosed up this time.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

complex posted:

FreeBSD 7.1 RELEASE has been tagged and is now being being built/packaged.

If you stop by your favorite mirror you might find an ISO for your desired distribution. :ssh:

I installed the amd64 version yesterday. After 7.0 hung while trying to boot off the install cd, I went to d/l the 7.1 RC and drat if it didn't say release on it. So whoot.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

timb posted:

Just a reminder to those wanting an easy upgrade path to 7.1:

quote:

During this process, FreeBSD Update may ask the user to help by merging some configuration files or by confirming that the automatically performed merging was done correctly.

Is that any less annoying than it used to be? I remember going through it once many many moons ago and good Christ did it ask about Every. Single. Line. in Every. Single. File.

In other news, I took the parts from my old computer, the one I couldn't get freebsd's Xorg to run in anything but 640x480 and built a new box for OpenBSD and I have the same drat trouble. I guess my radeon 9600 is just a piece of poo poo.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

JamesOff posted:

Sure you're not thinking of mergemaster? freebsd-update is reasonably new and does things slightly differently. Mergemaster does now have a couple of options that try to make it ask about less stuff, have a look in its -h output.

Yeah, mergemaster. That thing is so drat annoying you're better off just wiping everything and redoing what you need.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

CrzyDTpBoy posted:

You've got a problem somewhere else. I've got those cards all over the place with no problems.

It's my second 9600, and the second one to have the tv tuner die an early, grisly death. I highly suspect Xorg suckiness as well.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

CrzyDTpBoy posted:

Are you trying to do the automatic configuration (with no xorg.conf)?

I don't know about him, but Xorg just seems to ignore that file over here since 7.3 I think. I had to stick an xrandr command in xinitrc just to get the resolution I wanted.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

CrzyDTpBoy posted:

Well, mine definitely uses the xorg.conf. It's the only way I can set the virtual desktop size for xrandr-based dual screen that's required in xorg 7.x.

I have no idea what's going on with it, but no amount of screwing with it will allow me to set a resolution and have it work.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

complex posted:

Hope I can sneak it off a mirror this weekend...

I still don't see it released?

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
Installed 7.2 on my amd64 system this morning. Of course, X is even more hosed than before. This time out I can't even get any sort of minimal configuration to work. Nothing. And it seems they removed any and all sorts of config tools. I managed to get something working with the commandline tool with 7.1, but now it's gone too. So I guess if "Xorg -configure" doesn't work you can just go gently caress yourself.

This is pretty bad. I'm more than a little afraid to upgrade my openbsd system if X is this hosed.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Ethereal posted:

My root directory is full (I don't know how), I thought I allocated enough space to it but apparently not. What the hell do I do?

You thought a 500 *meg* root is enough? :psyduck:

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
What the hell is up with xwindows these days? They removed any sort of config tool, so if -configure doesn't work you're hosed. Whatever version of X that's in 7.1 and 7.2 makes fbsd a command line only OS for me.

I have a feeling it's this bullshit:
(EE) NV(0): Output VGA2 enabled but has no modes

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

CrzyDTpBoy posted:

Are you using xorg.conf or letting dbus/hald figure it out?

The way I've always done it in the past was use that graphical thing they dropped in the version before last, then tweaking xorg.conf by hand. I have no clue about any of this dbus/hald stuff.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

CrzyDTpBoy posted:

Do you have /etc/X11/xorg.conf and is this just a single monitor?

No, I've just been doing X- config since nothing has even worked yet. Googling that VGA2 line leads me to believe it's a bug actually.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

complex posted:

OK, you ran X -configure and created an xorg.conf. When you start xorg with startx -- -config xorg.conf what do you get?

Dumped straight back to a shell prompt.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

falz posted:

You should also try to run x without an xorg.conf, it's quite good at auto detecting stuff.

No it's not. At least, not in my case. I even installed the driver you can get from nvidia. Honestly, I'm so sick of banging my head against this I'm not going to worry about it. If it gets fixed, fine, I can use fbsd again. If not, so long.

Also, that driver is x86 only and I've already tried it. I even installed x86 just to give it a shot and it bombed too.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

CrzyDTpBoy posted:

Your realize this isn't a FreeBSD problem, right? X.org is moving to an automagic config and the ports tree finally caught up.

Yes, I do. And they're retarded as gently caress for it, because like I've said a dozen times what happens when the automagic doesn't work? I'm expected to guess what settings to put in xorg.conf?

And that other stuff didn't work, I end up with the exact same error about VGA2. Is there an X thread somewhere?

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

TheShitWagon posted:

Has anyone had any problems with pkg_add randomly hanging in OpenBSD? It seems to run fine while retrieving the first couple dependencies but then just hangs in the middle of pulling in any successive ones. I've tried letting it sit now for over 10 hours and it's still stuck at 0% on opensp-1.5.2. This seems to happen regardless of my specifying an ftp or http mirror in the PKG_PATH and I have had no connectivity problems to speak of.

Are you trying to update packages? I had problems with it not finding stuff, so I just bit the bullet and reinstalled. Everything worked great after.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Bob Morales posted:

That might be it. OpenBSD never makes /usr big enough

I've never used the recommended partitions setup gives you, but how the hell is this possible unless you're using a drat small (by today's standards) drive?

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
I wouldn't even bother partitioning in that scenario.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
Welp, xorg still doesn't work. I can startx, and get the GUI with the three xterms, but it's frozen at that point. Nvidia :argh:

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

jandrese posted:

Are you using the nv driver, or nvidia (from the nvidia-driver port)?

I've tried nv, and d/l'ed the driver from nvidia. Forgot to mention I'm using freebsd 8.1 (amd64), and a geforce 9500 GT. Also, I can ctrl-c to kill it from the console.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

greenskeleton posted:

Ahh, I had no problems with the x86 drivers. I see you're talking about the newer amd64 driver.

Now that you mention it, I even tried installing the x86 version (of fbsd) and had the same problems.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
If anybody's interested, it would seem my problem with xorg and FreeBSD was as simply as adding "hald_enable" and "dbus_enable" to rc.conf. Without those lines, neither the mouse nor keyboard would work in X, giving it the appearance of having locked up. This is more of an fbsd retardedness about not setting these sorts of simple prerequisites I think than strictly an X problem. (Since as it turns out the nvidia drivers were working perfectly all along.)

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Bob Morales posted:

That is literally the first thing they say in the handbook

Not quite, but I still feel retarded thanks. :suicide:

And it still doesn't excuse not doing that automatically.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Bob Morales posted:

I don't remember exactly why, but they don't do it automatically for a reason. However, it is done (obviously) if you install X to run out of the box.

In my case, it wasn't done when I installed X. And the problem I had was thinking X just hung when I started it. It wasn't until I thought hey, let's install a window manager and see what happens and bam...KDE went all the way.

What really gets me is that google didn't help.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Bob Morales posted:

Then you installed from packages, not from the FreeBSD installer right?

Pretty sure I installed from the installer, not packages afterwards. Actually, I probably did it both ways.

Bob Morales posted:

Very first Google result for 'FreeBSD mouse keyboard frozen'

That wasn't there last month! (Wasn't on google, and I was searching for xorg problems anyway.)

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
I'm trying to figure out how to mount a fat drive through fstab so my normal user can use it. Spoilers appreciated, since I've tried every combination of "rw,-m=777" I could possibly think of.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

feld posted:

did you try "uid=XXX,gid=XXX" in the mount options?

Hmm, that doesn't get me an error, but it doesn't give my user r/w permissions either.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Bob Morales posted:

It's not as simple as the permissions of the mount point being wrong, is it?

Could be, it's just "/mnt/C", created by root.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

feld posted:

You don't have python installed (somehow)

Sure he does (2.7), he just doesn't have the source files in the proper place (or wherever the config wants them) it looks like.

• Locked thread