Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«647 »
DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Holy poo poo thank you very much Cypress. That's excellent. Although, I didn't see a part written up on private sales. We'll have to amend that. Also, just as a note, transfers of restricted firearms typically take about 2 or 3 days in AB. Because our CFO is the loving best.

Uncle Caveman posted:

Can you give any more detail? I didn't see anything on the fact sheet.

Sure. For an American to bring a firearm into Canada, there are two legal ways. 1. You have your Canadian PAL. If you do this, you can bring restricted firearms in. 2. You are either hunting in Canada, target shooting in Canada or in transit to Alaska. In this case, you can only bring non-restricted firearms with you.

If you're taking option 2, all you do is declare the firearms at the border, pay a $25 registration fee, do about 5 minutes of paperwork and you're good for 3 months. Although it probably shouldn't take you that long to get to AK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I don't know, this moose has a lot of miles on it.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

Flanker posted:

I am unaware of any gun ranges that rent firearms in Ontario.

I can confirm that. Also, Ontario is the only province that requires big box retailers (Canadian Tire, Walmart) to record all ammunition sales. Meaning if you go to one to buy some bulk .22 or something, they have to copy your PAL information, along with your home address, your phone number, and the caliber and quantity of ammunition you bought.

The other thing is, and I'm not sure if it's Ontario-wide or just locally, but in order to shoot a restricted firearm (mostly handguns) you need to pay an annual fee to join a shooter's club. My local club requires 9 supervised shoots over 9 weeks before they'll even give you a membership, meaning a minimum of 9 weeks at one shoot per week before you can go to the range on your own goddamn time.

In closing, gently caress Ontario, and gently caress it hard.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003
Hail the fearless leader!

Flanker posted:

God I loving wish. Drake is a terrible waste of a perfectly good gay man.

If there aren't some good questions and Canadian de-lurks by tomorrow evening I will just start posting Gtab/Drake/Flanker/Mikerock/HPL/Slidebite/Blistex/Phlegmbot gay erotic fan fiction.

Sweet Jesus.

Thank you for the links, they're very useful. I mostly do black powder shooting and coach a cadet marksmanship team here in the armpit of Canadian civilization (New Brunswick and Nova Scotia). It's not so bad, actually. When I'm home I can sit on the deck and shoot things while burning a meal to cinders on the barbeque.

I've got an India Pattern Brown Bess in .75 with a couple of bayonets (one of them is original) a Pedersoli frontier rifle in .50 and a Thompson/Center Hawken in .50. I'll post pics later tonight when I get back from a grocery run.

Edit: I'd like to suggest the addition of http://www.loyalistarms.freeservers.com/ to the OP. They cater to reenactors and the history dork in all of us. They're just outside of Halifax, Nova Scotia and the owner Blair is very friendly. Great folks, and I'm pleased with the gun I have from them. Also, they stand by the parts in their guns which are sold with vents pre-drilled and tested, unlike some other merchants elsewhere in Canada.

Fearless fucked around with this message at Mar 17, 2008 around 20:28

Nine Lives
Feb 28, 2008

Day in, day out

Fearless posted:

I've got an India Pattern Brown Bess in .75 with a couple of bayonets (one of them is original) a Pedersoli frontier rifle in .50 and a Thompson/Center Hawken in .50. I'll post pics later tonight when I get back from a grocery run.

Those are pretty sweet, where did you come across them?

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Fearless posted:

Sweet Jesus.

Thank you for the links, they're very useful. I mostly do black powder shooting and coach a cadet marksmanship team here in the armpit of Canadian civilization (New Brunswick and Nova Scotia). It's not so bad, actually. When I'm home I can sit on the deck and shoot things while burning a meal to cinders on the barbeque.

Edit: I'd like to suggest the addition of http://www.loyalistarms.freeservers.com/ to the OP. They cater to reenactors and the history dork in all of us. They're just outside of Halifax, Nova Scotia and the owner Blair is very friendly. Great folks, and I'm pleased with the gun I have from them. Also, they stand by the parts in their guns which are sold with vents pre-drilled and tested, unlike some other merchants elsewhere in Canada.

Very cool. I'm not a blackpowder burner myself, but good for you for polluting the poo poo out the air.

Also, good job on being a cadet marksmanship coach. I was an Army Cadet myself, went to Bisley and finally worked two summers as a CI rifle coach at Connaught. It's what really got me into target shooting, and I'm glad there are people around that are still working to kindle that interest with young people.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DrakeriderCa posted:

Very cool. I'm not a blackpowder burner myself, but good for you for polluting the poo poo out the air.

Also, good job on being a cadet marksmanship coach. I was an Army Cadet myself, went to Bisley and finally worked two summers as a CI rifle coach at Connaught. It's what really got me into target shooting, and I'm glad there are people around that are still working to kindle that interest with young people.

I work with Sea Cadets, awesome work for going to Bisley... that takes real talent. My team's not particularly competitive as we have loads of other competitions going on at the same time as marksmanship so I coach simply out of the love of shooting and a desire to encourage that, not because I'm good at it. I brought in one of my rifles for the cadets to look at too. They'd all fired air rifles for competition and .22s for biathlon, but none had ever held a flintlock before, and they really enjoyed seeing how far we've come. They also really liked the baggies of musket and minie balls they were given to take home too.

The cadet program is getting a massive overhaul in the next couple of years, and on the Sea side of things marksmanship is getting some TLC. It makes me giggly. More importantly, we're retaining the lovely 12 pounder guns used for gun runs and ceremonies for our training.

Anyways, here is my humble collection of smoke-belching, shoulder-crushing toys:

First up, the India pattern Brown Bess (3rd model) in .75 cal, from Loyalist Arms, Harrietsfield, Nova Scotia. The original Imperialism projector, it was a birthday present from my parents.

The lock on the Bess is a massive, heavy brute of a machine. The flint is wider than my thumb and the mainspring has some real power behind it. It sparks beautifully, however. Recoil is more of a shove than a kick, but the combination of the musket's great weight and the murderous power of a full load of powder can still leave bruises after long bouts of shooting. Not that I mind.

Please pardon the hackneyed use of a bayonet to prop the musket up, but none of my pencils or pens were long or strong enough for the job. The bayonet filling the support role is an original, though sadly it is so badly corroded that it does not display any markings or ciphers to let me determine its age. Given that the Bess was used by the British until the 1840s, I think that 160-170 years of age is not out of line. Oh, here's a better picture of it:

Next up, a Davide Pedersoli Frontier rifled carbine in .50 cal. Black powder enthusiasts are increasingly spoiled by the offerings of quality manufacturers Thompson, Traditions, etc. Pedersoli used to be regarded as the best of the bunch, but the reputation has slipped somewhat in the face of strong, quality competition from American makers. Still, short of going to a custom smith for a flintlock that costs more than my graduate tuition, Pedersoli's as good as you're likely to get. I got this lovely piece from Track of the Wolf's website for a song. This is the first gun I ever bought myself, so there's some sentimental value. Its double triggers allow a marksman to set either a stiff trigger for hunting or a very light one for targets. I mean REALLY light. Look at this thing funny and it goes off. Even so, it's elegant, accurate, well balanced, reliable and a true joy to shoot.

Note the size difference between the lock on the Bess and that on this rifle. The little screw between the triggers allows one to alter the tension on the forward, firing trigger and also switch between match and hunting settings.

This happy little character is a somewhat anachronistic piece of Americana. It's a Thompson/Center Hawken rifle in .50 cal. The original Hawkens were staples of the Western frontier and feature prominently in the movie Jeremiah Johnson. They were also percussion cap rifles, whereas this one is a flintlock. Whoops. This rifle came from the estate of my former Latin tutor, who was a remarkable man to say the least. He completed a full tour in the RAF Bomber Command before going into military intelligence, mostly due to the fact that he spoke at least five languages. He was one of the first Western Allies to reach Dachau and was seconded as a liason to Marshal Zhukov's staff at the end of the war. Upon the cessation of hostilities, he travelled around the world with his wife (a genius in her own right) earned a PhD or two and settled in rural Nova Scotia to raise his family. Upon retirement, he tended a sheep station, indulged in carpentry, built crossbows and taught me and passed away April 25th 2006. Requiescat in pace magister. I have since concluded that the odds of me living a life as full as his are slim to none.

My apologies, I digress... back to the rifle:

Much like the Pedersoli, this rifle features double triggers. It's set for match shooting too, though the trigger has a much more fluid feel to it. It shoots differently than the other rifle and it's had a bit of a learning curve to it, but I've really warmed up to it. It's exceptionally fun to shoot and a joy to clean. However, the brass trigger guard has been something of a prick to deal with as it can hinder the rear trigger from setting if bent. This has been the source of much growling and foul language.

Anyways, those are my boom toys. I want to get a Baker rifle and maybe a Martini-Henry to round out my collection of British small arms. Oh, and I'm building an arquebus as a present for my thesis advisor.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep

Fearless posted:

blackpowder stuff.

Yeah you need to post a lot more.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Fearless posted:

Fnrghh

Yeah, I agree with Flanker. You need to spend more time in here, in my opinion. I'm glad to hear that someone like you is working with the Cadets. Sounds like you've got your head in it for the right reason.

Maybe you should start up an old-timey blackpowder thread. You've certainly got the knowledge and experience necessary. I'm sure there are other Grizzly Adams in TFR.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

Flanker posted:

Yeah you need to post a lot more.

DrakeriderCa posted:

Yeah, I agree with Flanker. You need to spend more time in here, in my opinion. I'm glad to hear that someone like you is working with the Cadets. Sounds like you've got your head in it for the right reason.

Maybe you should start up an old-timey blackpowder thread. You've certainly got the knowledge and experience necessary. I'm sure there are other Grizzly Adams in TFR.

Thank you both very much. I might start up a BP thread and share what I've learned from this forum and others. Also, I'm fighting the urge to purchase a new gun (I'm eying one of the carbines for sale at Loyalist). Now that's a thread idea: "I WILL buy a gun... but which one?"

I'm working on an MA in Military History at the moment and one of the things I've grown to appreciate about this hobby is the insight it has granted me towards understanding the life and times of an infantryman in the pre-industrial world. Historians tend to learn by reading rather than doing, so I sometimes chuckle when I hear assumptions made about musketry that are based on what a student has read from a source that never fired a musket. These flintlocks are fun but cantankerous pieces and an understanding of their use has gradually faded from the minds of all but a few, and to hear some people you'd think there was no difference between them and later breech loading small arms.

One of these days I'll finish my PAL paperwork and maybe take the restricted course. I'm not much of a handgun type, but damned if Hi-Powers aren't loveliest pistols out there.

Fearless fucked around with this message at Mar 18, 2008 around 00:38

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Fearless posted:

One of these days I'll finish my PAL paperwork and maybe take the restricted course. I'm not much of a handgun type, but damned if Hi-Powers aren't loveliest pistols out there.

Flanker, do you have a suit that's pretty enough to wear to a wedding?

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

DrakeriderCa posted:

Flanker, do you have a suit that's pretty enough to wear to a wedding?

I have a nice tan one and a lovely black one. My uniform is growing a nice healthy rack of medals though...

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Flanker posted:

I have a nice tan one and a lovely black one. My uniform is growing a nice healthy rack of medals though...

That works for me.

helno
Jun 19, 2003
hmm now were did I leave that plane

Flanker posted:

I am unaware of any gun ranges that rent firearms in Ontario.

RA centre in Ottawa doesnt rent guns per se but has an assortment of guns that can be used by members if they buy ammo from the club. Memebers do not need to have a PAL but it is an expensive club to join and has pretty lovely hours.

My current club has its ups and downs. Temmiskaming bullseye club
I just hope they don't poo poo themselves if I show up with my AR-15

Cons
-Took a long time to get an ATT
-had to wait for a member to die to get a key
-average members age is late 60's
-middle of nowhere northern ontario
-no action shooting sports
-Executive sucks the CFO's cock

Pros
-not a bunch of fudds as I expected
-dont have to shoot with the old guys
-range has no hours of operation (yay night shooting)

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

helno posted:

RA centre in Ottawa doesnt rent guns per se but has an assortment of guns that can be used by members if they buy ammo from the club. Memebers do not need to have a PAL but it is an expensive club to join and has pretty lovely hours.

Cons

Pros

Where the heck is this? I'm in the middle of nowhere northern Ontario, and I'm looking for a place to shoot outdoors. I drive a sports car which doesn't lend itself to finding isolated areas of crown land/gravel pits. If it's within a reasonable distance of me I'd love to check it out.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

helno posted:

Cons

Pros

Holy poo poo look who it is. I haven't heard from you forever.

Nine Lives
Feb 28, 2008

Day in, day out

So what's with Canada's gun registry? I've heard some interesting things about it, like it's required but that practically no one does it, and that it's basically a sprawling, beaurocratic mess that everyone is pissed their tax dollars are spent on.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

^^^^ the registry is a bit of a white elephant. High cost doesnt do much other than push paper around.

Caedus posted:

Where the heck is this? I'm in the middle of nowhere northern Ontario, and I'm looking for a place to shoot outdoors. I drive a sports car which doesn't lend itself to finding isolated areas of crown land/gravel pits. If it's within a reasonable distance of me I'd love to check it out.

That range is on twin lakes road off of highway 65 west of New Liskeard. Where abouts are you in northern Ontario?

helno fucked around with this message at Mar 18, 2008 around 12:37

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Happiness is a tight butt and flat tummy. I have neither but yours looks awesome BTW do you have any beer?

Nine Lives posted:

So what's with Canada's gun registry? I've heard some interesting things about it, like it's required but that practically no one does it, and that it's basically a sprawling, beaurocratic mess that everyone is pissed their tax dollars are spent on.

Well, it's basically a mixed bag right now.

To totally "kill" the long gun registry, it will take an act of parliament.

The problem we have is that the Government in power is anti-registry, but every other party is pro-registry. The issue is that the government is in power in a minority situation so any bill to be passed either requires the support of another major party *or* not have another party show up to vote so it passes.

So, the ruling conservatives have a couple of things they're trying to do. The easiest angle for them to do and is totally within the power of government is to give it the absolute basics of funding and call an amnesty for long gun transfers/registering. In essence, if enough time passes and people don't register/advise sales/transfers it'd become so horrendous to re-institute even the lefty parties would balk at doing it.

Secondly, the major rival to the conservatives is the Liberal party. These are the guys that made an election pledge to ban handguns a few years ago... and lost. They are so incredibly weak kneed and scared shitless of an election the Conservatives have been passing legislation and the liberals just haven't bothered showing up for voting, because if they did the Government would fall. In other words, they're playing politics.

Cliffs:

The long gun registry is still in effect, but is slowly getting gutted and starved. A bill is coming up that may kill it once and for all, but it hasn't been voted on yet.

Handgun/restricted firearm registration isn't going anywhere and likely never will. Indeed, I still totally expect handguns to be banned if the Liberals ever get back into power.

Licensing is not going anywhere either.

Nine Lives
Feb 28, 2008

Day in, day out

slidebite posted:

That's sad. I had always seen Canada as this vast wilderness where you didn't have to be governed by anyone if you just went far enough north/west Goodbye childhood dreams

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Canada is a pretty vast wilderness. If you go far enough out no one will bother you. It is perfectly legal to walk around with a non-restricted rifle or shotgun with a pocket full of cartridges as long as it is legal to discharge firearms in that area.

One guy at my range has a wilderness protection carry permit so he walks around with a .357 when he prospects.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

"When I see someone tilting my tables, I shoot the Bastard. That's my policy!"

/\/\ If you're out of earshot of the city folk then you can do pretty much what you want. I can blast groundhogs all day with my Mauser and nobody will think twice about it. That's one of the joys of rural communities.

I'm going to have to really stress the point that those of you visiting Canadian Gun Nutz stay away from the "Articles" section of the forums. It is the private domains of the saddest hillbilly fucks that have ever walked this earth. You will find three kind of threads in there.

"drat Muslims, changin things!"
"drat Lieberals, changin things!"
"drat petty theft, we need CCW!"

Those three themes are beaten to death, every day, every page, every post! If you do sign up, just do like the other have said and stick to the equipment exchange and gun-specific forums.

Riflechair's Links: http://www.riflechair.com/
This has been composed by some guy who has taken every possible gun related web site link in Canada and put them all on one page. Some of them are inactive, but pretty much every vendor, forum, and org is listed there.

Important legal matter for the newbs!

You can't shoot people outside of your house so keep that poo poo locked up and out of sight. Yes, you can legally drive with a non-restricted sitting in the back seat, but that won't stop a power mad OPP officer from taking it, and you requiring a lawyer and lots of money to get it back. Put it in the trunk, and lock it.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

helno posted:

That range is on twin lakes road off of highway 65 west of New Liskeard. Where abouts are you in northern Ontario?

Thunder Bay, which I think is a little further away from your area than I had hoped.

Edit - Oooohkay. Google Maps tells me it's near the Ontario/Quebec border. When I read "northern Ontario", my brain added "west", hearing "northwestern" instead. That's a little bit far for me to go to shoot my guns.

Caedus fucked around with this message at Mar 18, 2008 around 19:11

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Just a bit far. Northern Ontario is huge. Its funny to see people from the south drag out there maps and then flip them over and think its not far between towns. Not realizing that the scale on the northern side is double.

Normal
Oct 31, 2004
I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

helno posted:

RA centre in Ottawa

I'm just applying for the PAL now (passed the courses, both of 'em), but what other options are there for places to go to in Ottawa?

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Normal posted:

I'm just applying for the PAL now (passed the courses, both of 'em), but what other options are there for places to go to in Ottawa?

The range I enjoyed most was the Eastern Ontario handgun club. It is out in the sticks near Cheney. There is also Stitsville fish and game. There is a military range that civilians can get memberships to but you need to bring a buddy for target pulling.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

helno posted:

The range I enjoyed most was the Eastern Ontario handgun club. It is out in the sticks near Cheney. There is also Stitsville fish and game. There is a military range that civilians can get memberships to but you need to bring a buddy for target pulling.

Shooting with Helno at EOHC was loving awesome.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Flanker posted:

Shooting with Helno at EOHC was loving awesome.

Wisdom
Nov 28, 2005

DrakeriderCa posted:

The other guys hit it, but just for reference, if you're just coming up to visit, you can't bring up any firearms. If you were coming up to hunt, or you were in transit to Alaska, it would be different. But you're SOL.

I figured as much. My GF is former Canadian military though.. I wonder if she already has a PAL... I'll have to ask.

I don't know about anybody else, but if I'm doing some cross-country driving, I feel safer having a weapon in the vehicle. If I wanted to cross into Canada, are there places where I could safely check a weapon before crossing the border and pick it up on the way back?

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Wisdom posted:

I figured as much.

I don't know about anybody else, but if I'm doing some cross-country driving, I feel safer having a weapon in the vehicle. If I wanted to cross into Canada, are there places where I could safely check a weapon before crossing the border and pick it up on the way back?

Yeah, in most places. Where would you be crossing? I only really have experience at the Alberta border crossings.

Wisdom
Nov 28, 2005

DrakeriderCa posted:

Yeah, in most places. Where would you be crossing? I only really have experience at the Alberta border crossings.

I'm not sure, probably at Deluth. But perhaps heading to Toronto at Salt Ste Marie. I wonder if there are places to stow things that are more or less recommended? Boy I bet those places are under surveillance if there is.. huh?

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Wisdom posted:

I'm not sure, probably at Deluth. But perhaps heading to Toronto at Salt Ste Marie. I wonder if there are places to stow things that are more or less recommended? Boy I bet those places are under surveillance if there is.. huh?

Hmmm. I don't really know any places out east. I could definitely recommend a place for you if you were crossing in Montana, but I doubt you'll be coming all the way out here.

haha, if they are or aren't, I couldn't tell you. Criminal charges aren't my style.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

This thread has inspired me to finally fill out my PAL application form and send it in. I did the exams over 5 years ago

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Canuckistan posted:

This thread has inspired me to finally fill out my PAL application form and send it in. I did the exams over 5 years ago

Victory!

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

Canuckistan posted:

Your name and avatar win my affection. Where are you?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

Canuckistan posted:

I did my exams in 1996. I'm doing the paperwork for the PAL now too.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Flanker posted:

Ohmtown.

It's my kind of place.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

"When I see someone tilting my tables, I shoot the Bastard. That's my policy!"

Canuckistan posted:

Ohmtown.

It's my kind of place.

Can anyone move there without being impeded? Or will you find you come up against a lot of resistance?

devilsbite
Apr 29, 2005

9mm

Wanted to give thanks to my neighbors from the north for this thread. My uncle owns some property in Canada with a bear scarred cabin on a lake. He's under the impression that he's not allowed to keep a shotgun at the cabin as bear medicine. Now I have the info & educational materials he'll need.

The really cool thing about Canadian law is that we US citizens can get a PAL & register our un-restricted guns.

Looks like I owe Walrusguy an apology, a Norinco M14 is a possibility...I just have to check the US import rules.

I've got a caribou hunt tentatively scheduled for 2011 way the hell north; now I've got the lowdown on getting my 30-06 up there. I also hear you guys have a lot of black bear that need to die .

edit:

Flanker posted:

Speaking of such; I wanted to compliment you on T.F.D. but didn't want to give you the wrong idea about me. If we get together in April for a shoot my rear end is off limits. ok, you can pinch it

devilsbite fucked around with this message at Mar 20, 2008 around 15:46

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

devilsbite posted:

Looks like I owe Walrusguy an apology, a Norinco M14 is a possibility...I just have to check the US import rules.

If you're planning on buying a norc M14 up here then taking home I would say good luck. Chinese guns can't cross the border, legally. If your Canadian family members buy you one for you to play with up here thats fine. But its staying up here. Sorry.

edit:

devilsbite posted:

Speaking of such; I wanted to compliment you on T.F.D. but didn't want to give you the wrong idea about me. If we get together in April for a shoot my rear end is off limits. ok, you can pinch it

wha?

Flanker fucked around with this message at Mar 20, 2008 around 15:51

«647 »