Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«647 »
Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep

Caedus posted:

Alright, well I'll definitely be back home by then, so consider this an official invitation for a stop in Thunder Bay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

Let's just pretend that I'm a US citizen who owns property in Ontario (because I do).

What do I have to do to keep firearms on my property? It's in a very rural area on the Gananoque river between the lake and Marble Rock dam. We're friends with a resort owner up there and he could be the custodian of the firearms while we aren't there (ours is a seasonal place).

I would like to keep a shotgun and a .22 LR chambered bolt action rifle on the property while I'm there or my parents are there.

That's the other thing. My parents and I jointly own the property now. They are retired and are there WAY more often than I am. Does dear old dad need to have whatever crazy licencing you require as well as me? Does every adult who wishes to use the gun need the licencing as well? Mom's a hell of a shot.

The .22 would be for plinking and pest control. The shotgun would be because we're 20 minutes by boat from the nearest landing. 911 isn't exactly a phone call away and the property was broken into and trashed once in the past. Assholes with boats abound and I'd like to be able to respond with more than harsh language.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep

One of your parents should get a Canadian PAL. An unlicensed shooter can handle firearms under the supervision of a PAL holder. What's near you? Kingston? Look around for a licensed instructor. If you want to handle firearms while your parents are not around think about getting one as well. Also, SIG rifles.

Storage requirements make proper HD a little tricky. It's also legal gray area. Even something a rational state/country would see as a justifiable shooting could land you banned from gun ownership, broke, deported or in jail. This is Ontario, it's like California, NY or IL up here.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

"When I see someone tilting my tables, I shoot the Bastard. That's my policy!"

Caedus posted:

Alright, well I'll definitely be back home by then, so consider this an official invitation for a stop in Thunder Bay.

The town that killed the Marathon of Hope. If you stop by GMK tell Goiterman I said hi, and I'll be around to pick up that $550 yugo mauser any day now.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

Blistex posted:

The town that killed the Marathon of Hope. If you stop by GMK tell Goiterman I said hi, and I'll be around to pick up that $550 yugo mauser any day now.

I know. We have that Terry Fox memorial dealie, and to me, the reason we put it up was less about honouring that brave man, and more about saying "hey sorry our lovely town gave you cancer again"

I'm not sure who Goiterman is, but GMK is my shop of choice. Is he an employee? I'm going down on Tuesday to fondle the different 870's they have so I have an idea of what to pick up. I may not BUY one from them, but I do want a chance to look at them, and they have 5 or so in stock.

The prices here are totally hosed. They turned my $8/5 box of 10-gauge slugs into $15/5, which is a little too steep for five loving shells. I've gotten to fire my shotgun a grand total of three times, because I can't justify spending that much to put large holes in objects.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

NosmoKing posted:

Let's just pretend that I'm a US citizen who owns property in Ontario (because I do).

What do I have to do to keep firearms on my property? It's in a very rural area on the Gananoque river between the lake and Marble Rock dam. We're friends with a resort owner up there and he could be the custodian of the firearms while we aren't there (ours is a seasonal place).

I would like to keep a shotgun and a .22 LR chambered bolt action rifle on the property while I'm there or my parents are there.

That's the other thing. My parents and I jointly own the property now. They are retired and are there WAY more often than I am. Does dear old dad need to have whatever crazy licencing you require as well as me? Does every adult who wishes to use the gun need the licencing as well? Mom's a hell of a shot.

The .22 would be for plinking and pest control. The shotgun would be because we're 20 minutes by boat from the nearest landing. 911 isn't exactly a phone call away and the property was broken into and trashed once in the past. Assholes with boats abound and I'd like to be able to respond with more than harsh language.

Ideally, both you and your parents should get PAL's. You'd be okay with just a non-restricted one, as long as you don't want to keep handguns or SBRs/SBSs up there. It really isn't that big of a deal. A day-long course and the easiest test you'll write in your life. And probably somewhere in the range of $100 in funny money, per person.

Flanker is right when he says that an unlicensed person can only use firearms within the control of a licensed person. So, anyone who wants to use firearms unsupervised should get a license. You can always contact the CFC for more info if you need to. Just check out the OP. In my experience, they're pretty good to deal with.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I'm currently sifting through the links provided in the OP but I'm hoping someone will fast track me to a site/shop. I'm looking for a magazine for a .303 Lee Enfield. I have the original magazine but it holds too many rounds to go out hunting with and I don't want to modify it to only take fewer rounds so it will be legal. Is there somewhere to get smaller capacity magazines or ones that have been modified already?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

In short, as the owner/operator of both a dick and a set of (admittedly male) nipples I'm not entirely sure that Suetonius is writing about impossibilities here.

Indolent Bastard posted:

I'm currently sifting through the links provided in the OP but I'm hoping someone will fast track me to a site/shop. I'm looking for a magazine for a .303 Lee Enfield. I have the original magazine but it holds too many rounds to go out hunting with and I don't want to modify it to only take fewer rounds so it will be legal. Is there somewhere to get smaller capacity magazines or ones that have been modified already?

Gunbroker is your friend (did a search for "enfield magazine" it was in the first five hits)

You could also just disassemble your own mag and stick a chunk of dowel in there so it only depresses to five rounds.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Gunbroker is your friend (did a search for "enfield magazine" it was in the first five hits)

You could also just disassemble your own mag and stick a chunk of dowel in there so it only depresses to five rounds.

I did that for a while, but the mag didn't work well. Also, to be legal you have to modify the mag so you can't change it back easily, like say by removing the chunk of dowel. Thanks for the help though. I'll check out the link.

Jack Ketch
Jul 5, 2005

Thanks a ton, DrakeriderCA, I can't wait for that hot SVT-40 to arrive in the mail.

Now to find some 7.62x54 in bulk for cheap, and maybe a decent digital camera.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Jack Ketch posted:

Thanks a ton, DrakeriderCA, I can't wait for that hot SVT-40 to arrive in the mail.

Now to find some 7.62x54 in bulk for cheap, and maybe a decent digital camera.

No problem man. I'm always glad to help out another goon. Hell, after looking at the SVT's we had in, I set one aside for myself!

Also, you should tell Cyrano what you paid for it just to get his blood pressure up.

Jack Ketch
Jul 5, 2005

Probably shouldn't mention that I saw on Frontier Taxidermy & Firearms SVTs for $439.95, but who knows what the quality would be.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Jack Ketch posted:

Probably shouldn't mention that I saw on Frontier Taxidermy & Firearms SVTs for $439.95, but who knows what the quality would be.

Hm. No kidding, eh? I didn't know that. Our stuff is pretty nice. Excellent condition besides the forced matches.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I know what you want. I know what you need.

SVTs are obnoxiously awesome.

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

some say he's a rude dude with a crude 'tude

I'm slipping down this slope really loving fast. I just bought my first gun a 2 weeks ago, a 10/22 and I haven't even fired it yet (going to on april 11th). I've already bought a mosin off of CGN, and preordered an SKS from SIR. I really can't afford this.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Millow posted:

I'm slipping down this slope really loving fast. I just bought my first gun a 2 weeks ago, a 10/22 and I haven't even fired it yet (going to on april 11th). I've already bought a mosin off of CGN, and preordered an SKS from SIR. I really can't afford this.

You'll find a way. We all did.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
I am a horrible person, disregard my posts.

communist designs.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

So after selling my car, I've been on the lookout for a Remington 870. I went to my local shop (GMK for those who are familiar) to see what they had in stock. Because American and Canadian prices vary so much, I was curious of any of these are good deals, or if I should keep looking online/in other shops for a better price.

New 870 Super Express: $429, 2.75" chamber, 26" barrel, synthetic stock
Used 870 Wingmaster: $369, 2.75" chamber, 26" barrel, laminated wood stock
Used 870 Wingmaster: $400, 2.75" chamber, 28" barrel, wood stock
Used 870TB Wingmaster: $579, 3.50" chamber, 28" barrel, wood stock
(Crossposted from the general shotgun thread)

My aim is for a fun range toy where I can take advantage of Canadian Tire's $24/100 target shotshell deal, and nothing 'serious' IE Hunting or home defense. I fondled all of the guns mentioned above, and a few more on top of that, and aside from ware on the magazine tube from the pump, all guns listed are in the "good" to "very good" condition.

From my understanding, a used Wingmaster is superior to a new Express, and that's what the shop has in stock, though they are getting more 870s in, in a few month's time.

Are any of these good enough deals to jump on, or am I forever doomed to lurking CGN's EE for a better deal?

Caedus fucked around with this message at Apr 3, 2008 around 06:49

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

I wouldn't jump on any of those right away. They aren't super deals. You should be able to find a nice used Wingmaster on the EE for about $300, or a used Express for around $250. You just have to be quick with it - 870's go fast.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

I'm expecting to get a Dominion Arms 870 in the mail tomorrow. I payed 325 shipped for it. I'll let you know how it handles. So far from what I've read they stand there own against the Remingtons. I've read some people have problems with the finish, but for a cheap range fun gun that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Jack Ketch
Jul 5, 2005

I got something in the mail today, and boy is it AWESOME.

I just wish the oiler didn't erupt inside the bag containing the sling and cleaning kit stuff, but what does it matter since the SVT-40 is in great condition from what I can tell.

I'll try to find my digital camera and maybe throw a few pictures up, but I can't make a promise since the camera is utter poo poo.

Thanks a ton Drake I love it

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

beaver_Cheese: I require a picture that contains both the Grizzly and your beard so that I can discern which is truly burlier.

Jack Ketch posted:

I got something in the mail today, and boy is it AWESOME.

I just wish the oiler didn't erupt inside the bag containing the sling and cleaning kit stuff, but what does it matter since the SVT-40 is in great condition from what I can tell.

I'll try to find my digital camera and maybe throw a few pictures up, but I can't make a promise since the camera is utter poo poo.

Thanks a ton Drake I love it

Glad to hear it got there so fast. Sorry about the oiler - our girl in the back is Romanian and new.

On a related note, I have put my own on my personal layaway, so it should be mine in a paycheque or two.

Jack Ketch
Jul 5, 2005

Eh, no worries about the mess since I've got to learn how to clean up that poo poo anyways, I do like the copper coloured bolt though, looks classy.

Doesn't seem that there is much cosmoline on/in the rifle, maybe I was lucky or in your opinion was it filled with the goop? Just wondering since it doesn't really have much of a smell.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

ahaha yes the canadian SVT club grows

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

mikerock posted:

Send nudes. I have platinum.

Not kidding.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Jack Ketch
Jul 5, 2005

mikerock posted:

Would she be interested in holding my SVT?

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

DOWN NERDS!

DOWN!

BAD NERDS!

BAD!

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

mikerock posted:

DOWN NERDS!

DOWN!

BAD NERDS!

BAD!

My inbox is still empty.

----------------

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I told you in teh other thread, we're through.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

mikerock posted:

I told you in teh other thread, we're through.

You'll be back. You always come back.

Come back

----------------

Nine Lives
Feb 28, 2008

Day in, day out

Hey baby would US citizenship interest you? Eh?

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Jack Ketch posted:

Eh, no worries about the mess since I've got to learn how to clean up that poo poo anyways, I do like the copper coloured bolt though, looks classy.

Doesn't seem that there is much cosmoline on/in the rifle, maybe I was lucky or in your opinion was it filled with the goop? Just wondering since it doesn't really have much of a smell.

Almost no cosmo in them at all, really. They're all pretty clean, just with some arsenal oil in there. Easily cleaned. PM me if you need ammo too. I might have a guy lined up for about .75c a round.

Edit to fit in with the crowd: Send nudes to me for screening. If they are satisfactory, I will refuse to forward them to Gtab.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Licence Application Status Results

Application Number: 11-1111111111111-11

Application Received on: 2008/03/27

Current Status: 173

I think that code means that the initial application has been approved and has been sent to the CFO for final decision. Hello 28 day waiting period.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I loving hate you fast PAL guys.

Drake, how much are those SVTs going for?

Nine Lives
Feb 28, 2008

Day in, day out

How about this: If mikerock marries me, gets citizenship, we split, then she marries Gtab? There may be hope after all, our Canadian friend. Mikerock is the key to all this

Cypress
Sep 23, 2005
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Chunderbucket posted:

I loving hate you fast PAL guys.

Drake, how much are those SVTs going for?

I can relate to the hate for fast PAL people. I'm still waiting on my proof I took the courses, I got a paper saying I passed the restricted, and I'm apparently still waiting on a little plastic card saying I passed the non-restricted also.

Only THEN can I send out my application for the actual PAL, and then the waiting begins...

At least it gives me time to save up.

Also a question for you guys: I heard that to have a restricted firearm in the house (locked up and all that) everyone in the house needs to sign an approval form of some sort. Is there any validity to this? I've never seen it in any of the sites/courses that I've been searching.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Nine Lives posted:

How about this: If mikerock marries me, gets citizenship, we split, then she marries Gtab? There may be hope after all, our Canadian friend. Mikerock is the key to all this

mikerock is not female Is mikerock female

charliebravo77 fucked around with this message at Apr 4, 2008 around 13:59

Sour Grapes
Dec 29, 2002

All you kids out there...

Cypress posted:

I can relate to the hate for fast PAL people. I'm still waiting on my proof I took the courses, I got a paper saying I passed the restricted, and I'm apparently still waiting on a little plastic card saying I passed the non-restricted also.

Only THEN can I send out my application for the actual PAL, and then the waiting begins...

At least it gives me time to save up.

Also a question for you guys: I heard that to have a restricted firearm in the house (locked up and all that) everyone in the house needs to sign an approval form of some sort. Is there any validity to this? I've never seen it in any of the sites/courses that I've been searching.

Plastic card? The course I took just gave me two versions of the same 'you passed' form.

I don't know about a form for having a restricted weapon in the house, but if you have a s/o or a recent ex they have to sign off on your PAL verifying that it is likely you wont *immediately make a legal firearm purchase to murder them.

*immediately after waiting several weeks/months

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Try to Catch Me Ridin' Dirty

mikerock posted:

This would be pretty epic if it works out.

What did you do to your hair, woman?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I shrunk about 8" so it looks longer now.

«647 »