Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«619 »
devilsbite
Apr 29, 2005

9mm

Yea, if it's a family cabin it (the gun) can live there. With a pal I could bring ammo up. I haven't looked up the specifics/quantities, but getting a PAL is kind of like being a nonresident alien gun guy. I like that.

edit: I'm captain left field sometimes. There's a gunmeet upcoming in Indiana...I haven't seen the thread in a while but I'm optimistic. Gay humor is Canadian heritage right? I watched a lot of Kids In The Hall.

devilsbite fucked around with this message at Mar 20, 2008 around 15:56

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

devilsbite posted:

Yea, if it's a family cabin it (the gun) can live there. With a pal I could bring ammo up. I haven't looked up the specifics/quantities, but getting a PAL is kind of like being a nonresident alien gun guy. I like that.

You're going to want to be very careful about bringing ammunition or firearms parts across the border. The USA has very very restrictive export regulations concerning ammunition, and we couldn't even get a straight answer from the Americans about whether it was legal to bring any ammunition across. You'll want to clarify that before you commit a felony or something.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I know what you want. I know what you need.

Where's the gay pron already jeezus

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep

mikerock posted:

Where's the gay pron already jeezus

it got hijacked by crazed nazis.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Man i got some ragin blueballs over here someone better come through with a story about a canadian dogpile powered by Hoppes #9 stat.

Nine Lives
Feb 28, 2008

Day in, day out

what the gently caress is hoppes #9

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
I am a horrible person, disregard my posts.

Nine Lives posted:

A solvent.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Nine Lives posted:

Jesus loving christ man.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

I just placed an order for my Grizzly 870. Should be here in around a week. I really can't wait.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

DrakeriderCa posted:

Jesus loving christ man.

Your mystic Google powers do not scare me witchdoctor. When you sleep and your enchanted turtleshell protects you no more, that is when I will strike.

----------------

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Gtab posted:

Your mystic Google powers do not scare me witchdoctor. When you sleep and your enchanted turtleshell protects you no more, that is when I will strike.

Must make sure you keep quiet cause if you wake me up you better know I have an airsoft gun in my room and I'm not afraid to use it.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

gently caress. Always one step ahead of me.

My tribe will remember this. We will sing of your cruelty to the wolves of the north.

Fear our western sled dogs. We will seek vengeance. You know our custom.

----------------

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Gtab posted:

gently caress. Always one step ahead of me.

My tribe will remember this. We will sing of your cruelty to the wolves of the north.

Fear our western sled dogs. We will seek vengeance. You know our custom.

I don't fear your tribe or your dogs. I have carefully posed pictures of myself in a UTG Assault Vest.

Decks
Jul 27, 2001

I deserve a custom title too!

I just got my non-restricted PAL in the mail.

Where's an ok place to buy an M39 Mosin-Nagant on the West Coast (or does it even matter where I buy it from?)

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Decks posted:

I just got my non-restricted PAL in the mail.

Where's an ok place to buy an M39 Mosin-Nagant on the West Coast (or does it even matter where I buy it from?)

Mosin? Doesn't matter where you buy it. Lever Arms probably wouldn't be a bad choice.

Gorefluff
Aug 19, 2004
cuddly minotaur

helno posted:

Canada is a pretty vast wilderness. If you go far enough out no one will bother you. It is perfectly legal to walk around with a non-restricted rifle or shotgun with a pocket full of cartridges as long as it is legal to discharge firearms in that area.

How do you determine in an area is legal to discharge a firearm in? For example, if I owned a summer cottage on some property, could I legally store and fire rifles there, or would it be considered "residential", and I'd be forced to go into the bush to shoot?

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

Gorefluff posted:

How do you determine in an area is legal to discharge a firearm in? For example, if I owned a summer cottage on some property, could I legally store and fire rifles there, or would it be considered "residential", and I'd be forced to go into the bush to shoot?

Fortunately it's nowhere near as muddy as that. Unless there's a specific ban on shooting where you're shooting then it's alright. Cities usually ban discharge of firearms within their limits. Restricted firearms can only be shot on ranges. That's really all I can think of off the top of my head. Common sense still applies too. Check out google earth to see if there's any thing for a few kilometers in the direction you want to shoot.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

ductonius posted:

Fortunately it's nowhere near as muddy as that. Unless there's a specific ban on shooting where you're shooting then it's alright. Cities usually ban discharge of firearms within their limits. Restricted firearms can only be shot on ranges. That's really all I can think of off the top of my head. Common sense still applies too. Check out google earth to see if there's any thing for a few kilometers in the direction you want to shoot.

This is mostly correct. Legal places to shoot are determined by provincial and municipal law for non-restricted guns. As a general rule of thumb, as long as you're outside of a municipality, you're okay. Otherwise, make sure you have a solid backstop (Trees don't loving count) and you're good to go.

FATWOLF
Jan 24, 2006

Decks posted:

Don't forget to pick up a Chinese SKS and a crate of Czech 7.62x39 while you're at it. It is required of all new Canadian shooters.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

Cruster! posted:

Don't forget to pick up a Chinese SKS and a crate of Czech 7.62x39 while you're at it. It is required of all new Canadian shooters.

This is being phased out in favour of Norinco M14s and CZ 858s, although if anything, these rifles are making the SKS even cheaper due to less demand.

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002

Gorefluff posted:

I would check for any bylaws in your area on the "regulation of the discharge of firearms" or some such. Just call the municipal or regional offices and ask to speak with someone in bylaws and they will fax you a copy of whatever you want, or make a copy that you can come by and pick up. This is the best way to do it if you want to make sure you in the clear for everything.

I always assumed being on a farm in a very hilly area that I would be totally in the clear to fire whatever I cared so long as I wasn't firing into someone else's property or over a road and had a suitable backstop. Turns out I'm not allowed to fire anything other then a shotgun with #2 shot or smaller on my property unless I'm hunting or controlling varmints/predators. Yeah I can't even fire a air rifle, and apparently this has been a bylaw for like 30 years.

Now, I should say this is pretty much never enforced, but if for some reason I do have the police called in on me, I can face according to the bylaw a fine of up to $100 and confiscation of said firearm.

You will find all that nice information in the copy of the bylaw when you get it, it's probably not a bad thing to have on hand if you are plinking away, you never know when you might need it.

Petit.Conan fucked around with this message at Mar 21, 2008 around 19:48

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

DrakeriderCa posted:

Mosin? Doesn't matter where you buy it. Lever Arms probably wouldn't be a bad choice.

Lever doesn't have any. Try Reliable on Fraser and Kingsway or the EE on CGN.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

Hey Drakerider, I saw in another thread that you said you worked in Customs, and I've got a question about that. When I ordered a 10/22 barrel and stock last year from a dude in Washington with express shipping, it got holed up in Customs for a goddamn month, and ever since then a lot more of my packages seem to get stuck there for anywhere from a few days to a few weeks while I pay for the privilege of having it torn apart. Have I been put on some sort of list that ensures that everything I get from the US waits a while extra to get ripped to poo poo? I have a foreign sounding name and all, too.

FATWOLF
Jan 24, 2006

mikerock posted:

Lever doesn't have any. Try Reliable on Fraser and Kingsway or the EE on CGN.

Yeah, there's a nice looking Mosin carbine in the milsurp EE at the moment.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Coxswain Balls posted:

Hey Drakerider, I saw in another thread that you said you worked in Customs, and I've got a question about that. When I ordered a 10/22 barrel and stock last year from a dude in Washington with express shipping, it got holed up in Customs for a goddamn month, and ever since then a lot more of my packages seem to get stuck there for anywhere from a few days to a few weeks while I pay for the privilege of having it torn apart. Have I been put on some sort of list that ensures that everything I get from the US waits a while extra to get ripped to poo poo? I have a foreign sounding name and all, too.

I used to work for them. Not anymore. Things get held up in Customs all the time. Sometimes there's a reason, sometimes it's because they're just really busy.

Also, I couldn't really tell you if you're on a list or not because:
a) I worked at a Land Border Crossing and I know absolutely nothing about Postal.
b) If I did know something about Postal and lists/lack of lists, I still wouldn't tell you because I signed a non-disclosure agreement that's legally binding.

Sorry I can't help more. However, as a heads up - basically any gun part being shipped from the USA to Canada right now requires an import and export permit. This is an American regulation, not Canadian. And yes, this includes stocks, magazines, hardware, barrels and almost anything else you can think of. The old $100 limit thing apparently doesn't pull weight anymore, and they've arbitrarily declared all firearms parts "major parts." I'd be so so happy if someone could tell me I'm wrong on this.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

I mailed in my PAL application today.

devilsbite
Apr 29, 2005

9mm

I've read through the Fact Sheet and if I'm understanding it correctly; my uncle, a US citizen, can acquire his PAL, purchase an 870* here (US) and legally store the non-restricted firearm, registered, in Canada for 5 years. If at the end of 5 years he decides not to renew his PAL he can sell it in Canada.

*whatever you guys think he should buysell you in 5 years

edit: as far as US export for personal use I've come up with ITAR 123.17, but the source is from 97. Doesn't sound like much of a problem though.

devilsbite fucked around with this message at Mar 23, 2008 around 05:28

Pretty Little Rainbow
Dec 27, 2005

by T. Finn

Whats the deal with getting your permission to own prohib poo poo, do you need to have already owned one or have someone transfer one to you or what? Its impossible to get in most circumstances right?

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

In order to have a prohibited license, which is required to own prohibited guns, you must have had one of those types of guns licensed to you before 1998. As an individual, there is only one way that you can receive a prohibited firearm. That's as a 12(7) inheritance. It has to be directly from a family member, and it has to be a 12(6) handgun manufactured before 1946.

That's how I got this little guy:

Besides that, I guess you could get a dealer's license, which would allow you to possess and distribute prohibited firearms and devices (Magazines, silencers, etc) on your business's license. But you could never own them as an individual.

It sucks. I know.

Jack Ketch
Jul 5, 2005

I was just wondering, if I'm making a purchase from a retailer whom I've never done business with, do I need to fax a copy of my PAL to them or can I just give the number over the phone/email? I figure I'll have to fax a copy but I am unsure.

DrakeriderCa do you guys at MilArm still have a few Svt-40s in stock and do you ship firearms, wondering since I'm stuck in lovely Ontario.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

Jack Ketch posted:

I was just wondering, if I'm making a purchase from a retailer whom I've never done business with, do I need to fax a copy of my PAL to them or can I just give the number over the phone/email? I figure I'll have to fax a copy but I am unsure.

It's basically up to the store. I've had to do both. I just bought a shotgun from Demal Services and they just needed my number. When I got my first gun from Ellwood Epps they asked me to fax a copy.

Jack Ketch
Jul 5, 2005

beaver_cheese posted:

It's basically up to the store. I've had to do both. I just bought a shotgun from Demal Services and they just needed my number. When I got my first gun from Ellwood Epps they asked me to fax a copy.

Oh cool, thanks for the info.
Bought my first rifle from Epps but I walked in since I was up there on vacation, nice guys and a nice selection of guns.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

Asks Stupid Questions

Newbie/lurker chiming in here. I'm living around the London, ON area for school. I also am regularly in the Muskoka area during the summer (though that may change soon).

I've been thinking about getting my RPAL for a little while. I used to play airsoft a fair bit (har har); still have my 'guns' and gear, actually as I'd like to play again someday. The only thing that's off-putting about the license and buying guns is the cost. Right now I'm in school for music production/recording, also a hobby of mine - expensive stuff, takes priority. I'll continue to read up as much as possible though, and soon enough, I'll grab that license.

Any more LondonONGoons?

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

So who's free in July? You're taking me shooting. All of you.

http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/20...nd.html?ref=rss

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Jack Ketch posted:

DrakeriderCa do you guys at MilArm still have a few Svt-40s in stock and do you ship firearms, wondering since I'm stuck in lovely Ontario.

Like Beaver_Cheese said, it's up to the store. We don't need a copy of the license - just the number and expiry date. If it's a restricted firearm, we'll need a faxed copy of your club membership.

And yeah, we should definitely still have some SVT-40's. We got 20 of them on Tuesday, and I doubt they're all gone. Yes, we ship firearms, on our business rate through Canada Post, so it isn't super crazy expensive. If you're really interested, PM me and we can figure something out.

Cut Like Knives - I have a two step solution to your problem.
1) Sell toy guns.
2) Buy real guns.

Jack Ketch
Jul 5, 2005

Cut Like Knives posted:

Any more LondonONGoons?

I wish I could move out west, but I guess London isn't so bad, seems like a number of Goons in London but I've never gone to a meet. Then again I'm in Lambeth so we don't get bus service and I hate driving downtown

Edit: DrakeriderCA, I'll probably send you a PM later tonight after work, awesome.

Jack Ketch fucked around with this message at Mar 27, 2008 around 19:30

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

some say he's a rude dude with a crude 'tude

Anyone know of any auctions coming up in ontario, in a few hours vicinity of Toronto? My PAL just came today so I missed the one I wanted to go too on easter weekend.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

Flanker posted:

So who's free in July? You're taking me shooting. All of you.

http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/20...nd.html?ref=rss

We should seriously get a July meet going. I'd be in for traveling basically anywhere across Canada for a weekend of shooting fun. We just need a good location to go to.

If anyone is down for that send me an email at taylorjwyatt@gmail.com

We should get some ideas rolling.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

Sounds cool, and I might be up for it depending on where it is. Just to get the ball rolling, my outdoor range has been pretty cool for having events and action shooting sports and the like. There's a 200yd main range and a 100yd overflow for handguns and the like, as well as a trap range (Although I don't think it can be used at the same time as the overflow). The clubhouse has a grill and everything for cooking and the like, whenever it isn't stolen.

Downside is that it's by Winnipeg in Manitoba, so I dunno how many people would be willing to go there. Upside is that it's smack in the middle of the country, so no-one has to drive way the hell to the other end of Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

He's already coming to visit/stay with me so you all may as well suck it up and come to Vancouver as well.

Think of it as BC being kind enough to let you experience the Single Good Part of Canada and you really can't argue.

----------------

«619 »