Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Captain Novolin
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

What all is needed for a minor to go shooting? I don't turn 18 for another year and I would like to try to learn the basics and find out if it's something I would like to do later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Novolin
Dec 11, 2007

helno posted:

The only comedy option on my ballot was a guy from the Christian heritage party.

Edit: CHP enjoyable human being got 149 votes. Green party that wants to shutdown nuclear power plants got 500 votes in a riding that happens to contain one.

We used to have both Marxist-leninists and Communists in my riding.

Captain Novolin
Dec 11, 2007

Didn't it have a habit of violently disassembling itself in the direction of your face?

Captain Novolin
Dec 11, 2007

Captain Novolin
Dec 11, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Canadians have those?

Seriously, though, I've been reading your Charter and there's a few bits of kooky poo poo in there, although on the whole it looks like you guys are a functioning first world democracy. Congrats!

I must say, though, that I'm particularly fond of article 27.

What the gently caress does this even mean?

All "lol property rights" and "ha ha silly frozen francophones" BS aside, though, is Article 33 a big deal? Because it really kind of made me in a big way when I read it.

I don't know, maybe it's just the fact that I've spent so much of my life reading about the end of Weimar Germany, but having a trapdoor in your constitution that lets the government say "nah, we're going to suspend civil liberties and rights for the purpose of this one piece of legislation because it's really important guys" just seems like a really, REALLY bad thing to have in there.

It's not like that document dates to the 1860s and the North America Acts or anything like that, either. You guys wrote the current charter in 1982 (although, yes, a similar trap door was in the 60s era Canadian Bill of Rights, and yes the current trap door is a LITTLE smaller as there are some rights that can't be overridden - although most of the really important ones can).

Article 33 is really only in place so things like the War Measures act can be enacted, and it really doesn't come up very often. Usually anything that would require it creates enough of a shitstorm that either the opposition or the media launch big-rear end campaigns against it and either kill it or get it revised. That or it would manage to piss someone off (probably Quebec) enough that the provinces would use whatever power they have to gently caress with the government until it gets repealed. Canadian political culture is also not prone to going completely off the deep end at a moments notice, either.

Article 27 is in there almost entirely to get Quebec to sign on to the constitution. They were reluctant to sign the constitution, and that's one of the things that was thrown in to try to make them happy. Not only that, but they had also tried to seperate not too long prior, so the government was going into a bit of an "oh poo poo gotta keep them here" mode. Other bits of appeasement include it taking a majority of provinces plus either Ontario or Quebec to make certain constitutional amendments, and some other ones needing unanimous approval.

Quebec still hasn't signed the constitution, and they're the only province that hasn't.