Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

SamDabbers posted:

It's a bit more expensive than an on-sale N54L, but the Gen 8 Microserver should be able to transcode easily since the processors are of the Ivy Bridge family. I'd get the less expensive "Celeron" version. The only differences between the G1610T and the G2020T are 200MHz clock and a megabyte of L2 cache, which shouldn't make a significant difference for NAS-type tasks.
For single stream transcoding that will probably work fine, it's when people try streaming to a smartphone, tablet, and some random Roku-like device while a torrent or par job kicks off that you can get into trouble. Throttling processes may be the correct route here before buying a bit better hardware but I have a lot more money than time to just get this stuff done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

What is the current consensus on WD Greens or Blues for storage array use? Specifically, ZFS under FreeNAS.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

DNova posted:

What is the current consensus on WD Greens or Blues for storage array use? Specifically, ZFS under FreeNAS.
Spend a few bucks more for Reds.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Spend a few bucks more for Reds.

Yeah, they're $15 more per drive here and this is already getting a little costly, but alright. Thanks.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
The gen8 does look good but I'm wondering if it can double as a htpc respectably? The wife/girlfriend acceptability factor is an issue too

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
I am wanting to replace my old drobo before it fails. I am currently looking at the N54L (or something along those lines) or a Synology. I am bit confused on the Synology with all the different models that they have. Is there a specific model that is recommended? I am looking at something that will have 4 drives and will primarily used to store/backup photos and probably videos.

I am assuming that Synology does not support ZFS is this that much of an issue? Is setting up FreeNAS or equivalent that difficult?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Dread Head posted:

I am assuming that Synology does not support ZFS is this that much of an issue? Is setting up FreeNAS or equivalent that difficult?

Correct that Synology does not support ZFS. It's an issue if you want ZFS. Setting up FreeNAS is a bit involved but it's not difficult.

Now I have a question: Should I get 2x4gb DIMMs for my N54l and get the benefit of dual channel or get 1x8gb DIMM so I can keep the included 2gb and have a total of 10gb?

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

DNova posted:

Correct that Synology does not support ZFS. It's an issue if you want ZFS. Setting up FreeNAS is a bit involved but it's not difficult.

Now I have a question: Should I get 2x4gb DIMMs for my N54l and get the benefit of dual channel or get 1x8gb DIMM so I can keep the included 2gb and have a total of 10gb?

Is ZFS something important enough that I should be looking at things that do support it or is something say from Synology going to be ok? I assume that if I am wanting to use ZFS in a N54l then I will need more than the standard 2GB of RAM?

Edit: realized I have an i5 + mobo that I am not using. I guess this would also be an option for freeNAS assuming the hardware comparability is ok.

Dread Head fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 25, 2014

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Dread Head posted:

Is ZFS something important enough that I should be looking at things that do support it or is something say from Synology going to be ok? I assume that if I am wanting to use ZFS in a N54l then I will need more than the standard 2GB of RAM?

If you are worried about silent corruption/bitrot then ZFS is the way to go. There is debate about how much ram you need without deduplication for ZFS, but in my opinion you should have more than you need, and 8gb is probably the starting point. I'd also recommend ECC RAM.

Synology is really nice. I like their stuff, but for multiple disks their boxes are really expensive and their RAID implementations will not be nearly as robust as ZFS for protecting your data.

You also need a good backup strategy no matter what you decide on.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

DNova posted:

There is debate about how much ram you need without deduplication for ZFS, but in my opinion you should have more than you need, and 8gb is probably the starting point. I'd also recommend ECC RAM.
There's no debate. 1GB/1TB + enough for your OS is the common recommmendation when you're not running deduplication (and unless you know specifically that you'll benefit from it, you don't need it - because among other things it consumes at least 5GB/TB, so you better have an Xeon E5 or similar). Moreover, zfs - without sysctl tweaks, will consume 7/8s of your systems memory for ARC if you have more than the recommended memory).
As for ECC, it can't be stated enough that ZFS is built specifically with ECC in mind and non-ECC will fail to protect you from certain types of dataloss. Incidentally, Aaron Toponces series of articles should be required reading for anyone running zfs. Anyone following this thread for long enough will have seen me link some of the article several times (for example, he actually explains how the raidz parity works).

EDIT: Had to find a link from my bookmarks. ↓: They're wrong and (will) have nothing but lost data for their troubles insisting they're right.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 25, 2014

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

^ ^ Would you recommend I go with 2x4gb in dual channel or 10gb in single channel?

D. Ebdrup posted:

There's no debate. 1GB/1TB is the common recommmendation when you're not running deduplication (and unless you know specifically that you'll benefit from it, you don't need it - because among other things it consumes at least 5GB/TB, so you better have an Xeon E5 or similar). Moreover, zfs - without sysctl tweaks, will consume all but 1GB of your systems memory for ARC if you have more than the recommended memory.
As for ECC, it can't be stated enough that ZFS is built specifically with ECC in mind and non-ECC will fail to protect you from certain types of dataloss.

I'm with you, but there are a lot of people who disagree and will run it with much less. And then complain that it's unstable and slow...

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 25, 2014

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

DNova posted:

If you are worried about silent corruption/bitrot then ZFS is the way to go. There is debate about how much ram you need without deduplication for ZFS, but in my opinion you should have more than you need, and 8gb is probably the starting point. I'd also recommend ECC RAM.

Synology is really nice. I like their stuff, but for multiple disks their boxes are really expensive and their RAID implementations will not be nearly as robust as ZFS for protecting your data.

You also need a good backup strategy no matter what you decide on.

Yeah, I am trying to figure out the best back strategy. Right now I mirror stuff to my drobo and make periodic backups to usb drives. I am thinking adding synology/other nas and use the drobo more for back ups. Seems like there a bunch of options with pros/cons and trying to decide on which is best. I don't really want to spend a bunch of time having to do server admin stuff as that reminds me of work too much but I don't mind a bit of effort to get things going. Synology really appeals to me in that I basically throw some drives in and plug it in...

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

D. Ebdrup posted:

There's no debate. 1GB/1TB + enough for your OS is the common recommmendation when you're not running deduplication (and unless you know specifically that you'll benefit from it, you don't need it - because among other things it consumes at least 5GB/TB, so you better have an Xeon E5 or similar). Moreover, zfs - without sysctl tweaks, will consume 7/8s of your systems memory for ARC if you have more than the recommended memory).
As for ECC, it can't be stated enough that ZFS is built specifically with ECC in mind and non-ECC will fail to protect you from certain types of dataloss. Incidentally, Aaron Toponces series of articles should be required reading for anyone running zfs. Anyone following this thread for long enough will have seen me link some of the article several times (for example, he actually explains how the raidz parity works).

EDIT: Had to find a link from my bookmarks. ↓: They're wrong and (will) have nothing but lost data for their troubles insisting they're right.

So you're saying if you don't run 1GB ram/1TB disk space you're going to lose data?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Longinus00 posted:

So you're saying if you don't run 1GB ram/1TB disk space you're going to lose data?
No, that's not at all what I'm saying, at all. 1GB per TB is a recommendation made for preformance as zfs makes use of it for ARC among other things.
There's always the potential for data loss, as the article linked above goes into - but ECC is meant to counteract some of potential that with an added layer of parity for memory.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Longinus00 posted:

No. Not using ECC RAM puts you at risk for certain (quite rare, but possible) types of data loss--not the sort of loss probabilities you really need to worry about if you're just storing movies and music or whatever, but worth extra price of ECC if you're storing business mission-critical data.

If you run less than 1GB/TB you're much more likely to have performance and potentially stability issues running ZFS. It'll certainly run, but you're likely to get a fairly sub-optimal experience out of it.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Picked up a UPS (which I should've bought ages ago, but there you are) and Synology DS414 today.
Going to play around with it a bit for a full on commitment with new HDs.

Megaman
May 8, 2004
I didn't read the thread BUT...

DNova posted:

I would argue that FreeNAS is just as "difficult" as setting up a synology. It's point and click for everything. Click make a volume. Click disks you want to be in your volume. Click what kind of RAID you want. Type the name of your volume. Click share the volume with whatever service. It's literally as simple as that pretty much, same with synology.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

DNova posted:

Yeah, they're $15 more per drive here and this is already getting a little costly, but alright. Thanks.

That's about the same difference I've seen most places. $15/drive extra isn't much if you value your data.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

DNova posted:

You could probably get away with Blues without issue but Greens are very much in the gently caress No. category for this application.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Megaman posted:

I would argue that FreeNAS is just as "difficult" as setting up a synology. It's point and click for everything. Click make a volume. Click disks you want to be in your volume. Click what kind of RAID you want. Type the name of your volume. Click share the volume with whatever service. It's literally as simple as that pretty much, same with synology.
I completely agree that FreeNAS is as easy as Synology is - except that as I'm discovering, FreeNAS taught me certain bad habits such as not using datasets (which have many more options than the root dataset, some of which can vary depending on what kind of dataset you have, such as what compression you want to use (if any, depending on what's on the dataset - and what level of compression, giving up some encode and decode time in favor of higher compression for data which just needs to be archived), and whether you want additional copies on a dataset for backup and such).
The above seems a bit complicated to read so here's a quick diagram of sorts:
/ is zfs, of course
/home/user has lz4 compression
/home/user/media has no compression because media is already compressed (zfs will apparently leave data such as multimedia files alone even if they're put on a compressed dataset)
/home/user/archive has gzip level 5+ compression
/backup has 3 copies and lz4 compression and stores userdata from other machines which dont have redundant storage
+ system folders

Instead of going ESXi like I planned for my new server, I may as well follow the progression of hardware (from consumer to enterprise) with a progression of software (from an appliance NAS software to a fully-fledged server OS to do filesharing and gateway/routing/firewall for my home network).

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 25, 2014

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Chris Knight posted:

That's about the same difference I've seen most places. $15/drive extra isn't much if you value your data.

This is a specious argument. I'm buying four times more raw capacity than I need and practice rigorous backups because I value my data.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

DNova posted:

This is a specious argument. I'm buying four times more raw capacity than I need and practice rigorous backups because I value my data.

Look at it this way: if nothing else, you're paying $15 to get an extra year of warranty.

That said, I bought a 4 TB Green for cold backup, but that's quite a bit different from using a Green in an array. I hope... :ohdear:

No but seriously I plan on having multiple backups anyway and am gonna build a NAS after I move.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Avenging Dentist posted:

Look at it this way: if nothing else, you're paying $15 to get an extra year of warranty.

That said, I bought a 4 TB Green for cold backup, but that's quite a bit different from using a Green in an array. I hope... :ohdear:

No but seriously I plan on having multiple backups anyway and am gonna build a NAS after I move.

Yeah the warranty plus not having to worry about aggressive head parking plus the sex parrot's recommendation was enough to convince me.

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 26, 2014

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
You can at least disable the aggressive head parking on the greens.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I'm finally getting around to actually setting up my Synology DS212j NAS to replace my failing WHS (first edition, not the newer one). I've figured out user accounts and shared folders. My next issues is to figure out backups.

What are good (free) backup tools? I've got a mix of Windows 7 Home Premium/Pro/Ultimate and Windows 8.1 (non-pro) machines.
Is the Synology Data Replicator 3 software any good at all, or is there some way to duplicate WHS' backup behavior?

I'd just try to use Windows' own backup stuff, but the Home Premium computer can't directly save to network locations. And I have no idea whatsoever about the Windows 8 stuff.

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

You can at least disable the aggressive head parking on the greens.

Huh? I thought WD removed that ability from the Greens years ago, when they realized people were buying them for RAID arrays instead of WD-REs.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Huh? I thought WD removed that ability from the Greens years ago, when they realized people were buying them for RAID arrays instead of WD-REs.

You can still disable head parking. you cannot Enable TLER anymore.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
QNAP chat: didn't see any mention of this back to November.

QNAP HS-210 2-bay Fanless Quiet NAS, Home Media Storage Center
http://www.amazon.com/QNAP-HS-210-Fanless-Storage-Supported/dp/B00H3VBKBM/

Looks tempting but I've never owned a QNAP. Reviews are not plentiful. I'd either use it as a dedicated NAS or possibly replace my HTPC if I can get all my apps to run, including Plex Media Server.

My main concern is noise. I have looked at the HP Microserver a dozen times but the noise is a dealbreaker. I had a Netgear in my living room for a few weeks but had to junk it because it was stupidly loud.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Stugazi posted:

QNAP chat: didn't see any mention of this back to November.

QNAP HS-210 2-bay Fanless Quiet NAS, Home Media Storage Center
http://www.amazon.com/QNAP-HS-210-Fanless-Storage-Supported/dp/B00H3VBKBM/

Looks tempting but I've never owned a QNAP. Reviews are not plentiful. I'd either use it as a dedicated NAS or possibly replace my HTPC if I can get all my apps to run, including Plex Media Server.

My main concern is noise. I have looked at the HP Microserver a dozen times but the noise is a dealbreaker. I had a Netgear in my living room for a few weeks but had to junk it because it was stupidly loud.

Put it in a closet

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Even with a fanless computer you'll hear a drive spinning if it's quiet enough. It's easier if you can relocate it.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
What's the market for WD blues anyway? Green is for poors, black is for less than SSD speed but more than SSD storage, red is for NAS, RE is for enterprise, but I don't get where blues fit into that.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Pudgygiant posted:

What's the market for WD blues anyway? Green is for poors, black is for less than SSD speed but more than SSD storage, red is for NAS, RE is for enterprise, but I don't get where blues fit into that.

Blue is just their jack-of-all-trades drive for people who don't really know or care, and the one you're likely to find in OEM machines.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Stugazi posted:

I built an 8 drive setup with an N54L and an eSATA enclosure for around $280 during sales, and it is definitely not loud at all. The loudest part is when all 8 drives are seeking.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Based on some feedback in this very thread I picked up my new NAS/ESXi server yesterday. It's based around a Supermicro X10SL7-F, an E1230v3, 32GB of ECC RAM, a bunch of WD Reds, an internal USB stick for ESXi and an SSD for the datastores.

Installing it went extremely smoothly. Having IPMI support to essentially remote desktop into the server is really convenient. You can even mount ISOs directly, so I could install ESXi like that.

The only glitch I came across is that the Noctua fans were actually spinning too slowly, so the IPMI firmware thought they were broken and periodically turned on the other system fans at full throttle. Thankfully, through ipmiutil.exe I was able to change those thresholds. They're whisperquiet now.

I installed FreeNAS as one virtual machine, passthroughed (that's a word) the WD disks since I connected them all to the LSI controller, and it's working great.

I would've loved the thing to be Mini-ITX, but sadly it's still quite hard to find the appropriate hardware. Oh well. Thanks for the help, all :)

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
I'm going to be rolling a new NAS this week, with no RAID array, just a few 3TB WD Greens running as independent disks. I've seen Xpenology mentioned a few times in this thread, but no real elabortion on it. We use a Synology unit at my office, and I really like the UI. Anyone care to elaborate on their experience with Xpenology, and possibly more specifically with running multiple single drives?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

eightysixed posted:

I'm going to be rolling a new NAS this week, with no RAID array, just a few 3TB WD Greens running as independent disks. I've seen Xpenology mentioned a few times in this thread, but no real elabortion on it. We use a Synology unit at my office, and I really like the UI. Anyone care to elaborate on their experience with Xpenology, and possibly more specifically with running multiple single drives?

I use xpenology using an i3, h87i-plus itx motherboard, and 4 red/green wd drives.

It works exactly like my actual synology device did except its way faster and has way more memory. I have zero complaints and setup is a 5 minute job. Now obviously you arn't gonna get to use 5.0 until someone does it for you and things, but for me its worth it.

As long as you have compatible hardware (the h87i-plus works perfectly and has intel nic) then its pretty straightforward. Im getting 400-500mbps internal writes and it easily saturates gigabit. I can also add 2 more drives before adding a pci-e controller

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 26, 2014

pro con
Sep 14, 2008
I'm planning on doing a home server/NAS build and I'm hoping that you all have some advice on parts. Here's what I'm looking at right now:

Case: Lian Li PC-Q25B
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16811112339

Motherboard: ASUS H87I-PLUS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16813132032

Processor: Intel Core i3-4130T
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16819116947

PSU: SILVERSTONE Strider Plus ST50F-P 500W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817256065

Memory: Kingston 16GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820239169

Plus 4x 4TB WD Red drives for the storage array.

Right now my plan is to use FreeNAS and for the server to act as a file server, download box, DLNA server, maybe some media transcoding, and potentially a few other things that I feel like messing around with like an OpenVPN server or a Samba AD domain controller. I'll be happy to explain why I chose any of the parts I did.

Any thoughts?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

pro con posted:

Any thoughts?

It doesn't look like your motherboard supports ECC memory, which I'm assuming is important since you're running FreeNAS and have an ECC compatible processor and RAM.

pro con
Sep 14, 2008

Coxswain Balls posted:

It doesn't look like your motherboard supports ECC memory, which I'm assuming is important since you're running FreeNAS and have an ECC compatible processor and RAM.

:doh: You're right, it looks like it doesn't. Any suggestions on a replacement board as close to that one specs wise + ECC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Pretty sure that motherboard won't support that ECC RAM you're trying to use. Unless there's some positive confirmation from someone that already got one to be a guinea pig for everyone else in the world, you should assume that any Haswell chipset that isn't C222/C224/C226 won't support ECC correctly to be effective. You'll have to spring for a C224 or C226 mini ITX motherboard if you're really gung-ho on the form factor.

I have a build similar to yours but with a C224 ASRock (Asus' long-time OEM for a while if it matters) motherboard and a 4130 53w TDP variant. It's in a tiny, cramped case with even less airflow than that and the worst it's ever gotten was around 63C, which is fine for me as long as the drives are cool (they are - tops 45C w/ 2 120mm fans behind the 8 drives).

I highly doubt you'll want a 500W PSU with that setup unless you plan on adding 30+ drives or something later or don't care about power efficiency (which the 4130T tells me probably so). The max you'll want for that setup is around 350w to keep the PSU fairly efficient. PSU efficiency is a bit of a wide curve and putting it at maybe 15% of its max load capacity is not a good plan long-term even with a so-called platinum PSU.