Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Any recommendations on a mini-ITX case that has 6+ internal 3.5s? Looks like there's only 3 hits on newegg.

I'm running UnRaid on an older Supermicro Atom mini-ITX board and currently just have my extra drives laid out on the floor since my current case only has 4 drive slots. I'm moving and am looking on mounting everything proper.

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/case/#t=9,12,10&J=6,20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

The NSC-800 has eight and room for a controller card.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Any recommendations on a mini-ITX case that has 6+ internal 3.5s? Looks like there's only 3 hits on newegg.

I'm running UnRaid on an older Supermicro Atom mini-ITX board and currently just have my extra drives laid out on the floor since my current case only has 4 drive slots. I'm moving and am looking on mounting everything proper.

I was using one of these for a while, fits your bill for 6 internals.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112265

Would be happy to sell it, as it is just sitting in the guest room un-touched.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The Silverstone DS380 fits 8 drives.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Thanks for the suggestions, they all look great.

Moey posted:

I was using one of these for a while, fits your bill for 6 internals.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112265

Would be happy to sell it, as it is just sitting in the guest room un-touched.

I was looking at this one, as it uses an ATX PSU, which is what I'm currently using. How much do you want for it?

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
My synology has died :(. I think cause I put in the wrong power cord. Whats a good replacement? I was thinking QNAP TS-251 and upgrading the RAM to 4GB. I just use it to backup data and host my files for plex.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

5436 posted:

My synology has died :(. I think cause I put in the wrong power cord. Whats a good replacement? I was thinking QNAP TS-251 and upgrading the RAM to 4GB. I just use it to backup data and host my files for plex.

For premade, the TS-251 is a good one. It recently became Wirecutter's top pick for simple NAS'es.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

8-bit Miniboss posted:

For premade, the TS-251 is a good one. It recently became Wirecutter's top pick for simple NAS'es.

That's basically the same price as a Xeon-powered Lenovo ThinkServer with massively better specs, if you're into that sort of thing over tiny-rear end footprints.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

DrDork posted:

That's basically the same price as a Xeon-powered Lenovo ThinkServer with massively better specs, if you're into that sort of thing over tiny-rear end footprints.

I considered recommending the same thing. But I figured 5436 just wanted a new box and just go rather than do some DIY stuff.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I considered recommending the same thing. But I figured 5436 just wanted a new box and just go rather than do some DIY stuff.

Yea I want the small foot print, and the ease of use of the NAS software. I use linux but don't really feel like setting up my own NAS.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004
Is anyone here successfully running stablebit drive pool on windows 10? My server is running Windows 7 and i would like to upgrade sooner rather than later.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I'm finally thinking about building a new machine to replace my X58-based, Solaris NAS that's been off for the past six months (drive weirdness + no time to really go through and fix it up) -- I'm thinking I'm going to just go all out and build an ESXi host to run all of my poo poo (domain controller, etc.).

Looking at the Supermicro X10 boards, it looks like they have one with the SAS2308 built-in -- any thoughts on that guy vs. just getting a generic Supermicro board with multiple PCIe slots and tossing in IBM M1015s or similar? I'm going to go ECC, so I'm going to get a server-style mobo, and eBay a E3-1265L v3 or something similar.

Haven't decided what drive configuration I'm going to use yet, but I'm thinking of doing PCIe pass-through of the entire controller to my FreeNAS instance.

I'll probably just swap this stuff into my existing Norco RPC-4020, unless there's a new hot case out there on the market that makes sense -- most of my setup was the tits back in 2008, but seems like NAS stuff has exploded in popularity since then.

movax fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 5, 2015

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

movax posted:

I'm finally thinking about building a new machine to replace my X58-based, Solaris NAS that's been off for the past six months (drive weirdness + no time to really go through and fix it up) -- I'm thinking I'm going to just go all out and build an ESXi host to run all of my poo poo (domain controller, etc.).

Looking at the Supermicro X10 boards, it looks like they have one with the SAS2308 built-in -- any thoughts on that guy vs. just getting a generic Supermicro board with multiple PCIe slots and tossing in IBM M1015s or similar? I'm going to go ECC, so I'm going to get a server-style mobo, and eBay a E3-1265L v3 or something similar.

Haven't decided what drive configuration I'm going to use yet, but I'm thinking of doing PCIe pass-through of the entire controller to my FreeNAS instance.

I'll probably just swap this stuff into my existing Norco RPC-4020, unless there's a new hot case out there on the market that makes sense -- most of my setup was the tits back in 2008, but seems like NAS stuff has exploded in popularity since then.

If you can swing it: A Xeon D! :haw:

drat those look awesome.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

movax posted:

Looking at the Supermicro X10 boards, it looks like they have one with the SAS2308 built-in -- any thoughts on that guy vs. just getting a generic Supermicro board with multiple PCIe slots and tossing in IBM M1015s or similar?

I've got a Supermicro X8 board (some odd OEM version of the X8SI6-F that is missing the IPMI controller implied by the '-F') that has a SAS2008 on-board, and a M1015 plugged into one of the PCIe slots. As far as every OS and LSI flashing utility is concerned, there's no difference between the two controllers in any way other than I can't physically remove one of them.

In your case the 2308 could be a teeny bit faster by having PCIe 3.0 vs 2.0, but I'd probably still go for whichever config is cheaper.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

If you can swing it: A Xeon D! :haw:

drat those look awesome.

I was just looking at those after realizing that E3 Xeons would cap me at 32GB -- which I think is more than enough for me, but I'd like to be able this machine for awhile and feed it more RAM as needed.

The thing that gives me pause is the only current product from Supermicro has only a single PCIe x16 slot for expansion -- that's it. Power consumption is low, 8 Broadwell cores is great, but that single slot is killing me. Controllers with 16 internal ports are hilariously expensive and generally have external facing SFF connectors -- I want something that can feed the drives in the same chassis. I know the Xeon-D has a ton of lanes, and I don't care about form-factor -- hopefully someone releases one where they do x8/x8/x4 or something like that.

I don't suppose anyone makes a riser that goes into a PLX switch and then fans out to x8/x8 :(

e: with 24 lanes from the SoC, for NAS nerds, a fanout to 3 x8 slots would be perfect -- that's 3 8-port HBAs each with 7.8GB/s of bandwidth.

movax fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 5, 2015

movax
Aug 30, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

I've got a Supermicro X8 board (some odd OEM version of the X8SI6-F that is missing the IPMI controller implied by the '-F') that has a SAS2008 on-board, and a M1015 plugged into one of the PCIe slots. As far as every OS and LSI flashing utility is concerned, there's no difference between the two controllers in any way other than I can't physically remove one of them.

In your case the 2308 could be a teeny bit faster by having PCIe 3.0 vs 2.0, but I'd probably still go for whichever config is cheaper.

I'm only attaching to spinny disks, so the only thing I really care about PCIe 3.0 vs 2.0 is that I'll use half the lanes for the PCIe 3.0 controllers. I think I'm going to set my design goal to have 16 ports available to directly throw via VT-d to FreeNAS, and then the remainder of the Intel ports / etc will be various SSDs for other VMs / ESXi data-stores (maybe I'll setup Intel chipset RAID to mirror a pair of 256GB SSDs, or just have the SSDs image to the FreeNAS store as 'backup').

In the Supermicro case, the only thing I would use PCIe slots for would be more HBAs, and potentially a 10GbE NIC way in the future -- otherwise everything is on the motherboard. So a combo of M1015 + the on-board one would be fine for me, I just need to run the numbers to see if the version of the Supermicro board with no integrated controller + 2x HBAs is cheaper than the version with integrated controller + 1x HBA.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

movax posted:

I was just looking at those after realizing that E3 Xeons would cap me at 32GB -- which I think is more than enough for me, but I'd like to be able this machine for awhile and feed it more RAM as needed.

The thing that gives me pause is the only current product from Supermicro has only a single PCIe x16 slot for expansion -- that's it. Power consumption is low, 8 Broadwell cores is great, but that single slot is killing me. Controllers with 16 internal ports are hilariously expensive and generally have external facing SFF connectors -- I want something that can feed the drives in the same chassis. I know the Xeon-D has a ton of lanes, and I don't care about form-factor -- hopefully someone releases one where they do x8/x8/x4 or something like that.

I don't suppose anyone makes a riser that goes into a PLX switch and then fans out to x8/x8 :(

Yeah, if you need to drive a lot of drives I can see why you'd need more slots. SM seems to be the only manufacturer as of right now. It is also pretty expensive coming in at around 900 Euro's.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

movax posted:

I've been using the X10SL7-F (the 2308 board) for over a year now without major problems. It's pretty popular with freenas users. There is some goofiness with usb3 thumb drives, I have to use usb2 ones which isn't a big deal to me. I ran esxi and did passthrough to freenas for a bit but now I run freenas directly on it because I built a separate server for esxi.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I'm looking for some sort of NAS device that I can use as a time machine target for two Macbooks, as well as a repository for a 500gb Lightroom photo library. I'd also like to be able to hook a drive up directly to the NAS to backup it's contents. Raid 1 is all I need, it doesn't need to be super speedy.

So far i'm leaning towards the WD Mybook EX2 6tb for $357. Is this a bad choice?

Edit: Also, I already tried a Time Capsule. The storage/backup fucntions were fine, but it didn't work well as a router. It's DNS cache was incredibly slow (30+ seconds to lookup addresses), so I returned it and decided to look for sonething dedicated to storage.

frogbs fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 6, 2015

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

movax posted:

Sounds like you're in the market for the board I was eyeing for a while even though it doesn't sport the onboard SAS like you wanted (it does help if you're space constrained but it's of little concern to have to spring for another SAS HBA) http://www.servethehome.com/asrock-rack-ep2c612d16c-4l-review-motherboard/ or perhaps http://www.servethehome.com/asrock-rack-ep2c612d16-2l2t-motherboard-review/ if you want to avoid that 10gbE upgrade later.

I'm probably going to wind up with a motherboard more like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G3435488 because my workloads are going to need more RAM than anything else probably and I'm aiming to run a PXE booting network and won't care about SSDs on a machine typically except for some pre-carved LUNs served via an iSCSI or FCoE based target.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

My 6+ year old 4-disk Promise SmartStor NS4600 NAS is having some serious issues. I lost power a couple weeks ago and then I spent a few days letting it rest, rebooting it, and trying to see if it'd eventually fully boot and make the drive available.

I was finally able to get into the admin screen and looking at the log, it seemed one of the drives had problems. I replaced it - and in the past when that's happened, it's rebuilt automatically over a couple days (it's 4x1.5tb drives). This time it starts off at 6% in the rebuild process and then stays there forever. I tried a second replacement disk and the same thing happens.

It's out of warranty and I don't really want to pay a lot for tech support from Promise that won't end up solving things anyway.

Anyone have advice on how I can take the 3 good drives I have and rebuild my RAID5 data?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

necrobobsledder posted:

Sounds like you're in the market for the board I was eyeing for a while even though it doesn't sport the onboard SAS like you wanted (it does help if you're space constrained but it's of little concern to have to spring for another SAS HBA) http://www.servethehome.com/asrock-rack-ep2c612d16c-4l-review-motherboard/ or perhaps http://www.servethehome.com/asrock-rack-ep2c612d16-2l2t-motherboard-review/ if you want to avoid that 10gbE upgrade later.

I'm probably going to wind up with a motherboard more like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G3435488 because my workloads are going to need more RAM than anything else probably and I'm aiming to run a PXE booting network and won't care about SSDs on a machine typically except for some pre-carved LUNs served via an iSCSI or FCoE based target.

That X10 mobo looks good -- thinking about it some more, I'm trying to think hard of the potential workloads I'd have that would butt up against the 32GB limit of E3 Xeons, but not get CPU bound by a single E5 Xeon.

I saw that a Xeon-D 1521/1541 were announced via PCN -- they add DDR3 support and slight clock bumps. Maybe I'll wait and keep an eye out on someone releasing a Xeon-D board where they break the lanes out to 3 x8 slots (for HBAs) and use DDR3 sockets instead of DDR4, so I can fill the fucker up RAM-wise.

Deviantfish
Jun 25, 2006

P L E A S E
D O N ' T
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have any experience with the Supermicro X8SIL board? I decided to embark on trying to cobble together my own personal NAS with old server parts, and am running in to a major headache. I took care when choosing parts to check for compatibility, but I seem to have overlooked something. The parts I am using:
The RAM is supposed to be compatible, based on Supermicro's website, but for whatever reason, whenever I boot I get a long, continuous beep and the "not compatible RAM" LED on the board starts blinking. Should I just buy different RAM or something?

Skeptic
Sep 3, 2003
No, I don't believe you

HERAK posted:

Is anyone here successfully running stablebit drive pool on windows 10? My server is running Windows 7 and i would like to upgrade sooner rather than later.

Yep, seems as stable as ever, with a couple of minor UI bugs that aren't show stoppers. I upgraded from Windows 8.1 and am running the stable version of Drivepool and Scanner for what it's worth. The devs are testing a Windows 10 build now and recommend waiting for that, while acknowledging that most people on Windows 10 are running well.

Skeptic fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Aug 7, 2015

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
All I want is a 2-bay NAS that can host all of my media, and stream it to a FireTV / Kodi setup. I'd like to use a computer for the actual torrenting and what not.

What's the best cost / performance 2-bay NAS these days? I was looking at a Synology 215j or a QNAP 231. So far as I can tell, the QNAP does Plex and the Synology doesn't? Does the Synology do anything that would make it tip the scales?

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

movax posted:

That X10 mobo looks good -- thinking about it some more, I'm trying to think hard of the potential workloads I'd have that would butt up against the 32GB limit of E3 Xeons, but not get CPU bound by a single E5 Xeon.
My primary use case is for testing Nginx in different configurations alongside memory oriented persistence like Redis or HBase. And because I'd have these all networked to their backing storage via virtual NICs to somewhat emulate a 10GbE connection, I would like some extra RAM for ZFS. For the DSP stuff I'm planning on writing, I am probably going to drop it on a GPU given DCTs and FFTs are so darn fast on them but if wavelets make sense that requirement may blow through minimum core needs (not sure if wavelet transforms work so well on CUDA cores) and bust into another socket or need a single socket with some outrageously priced (for my spergtastic home projects) 8+ hyper threaded cores.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Skeptic posted:

Yep, seems as stable as ever, with a couple of minor UI bugs that aren't show stoppers. I upgraded from Windows 8.1 and am running the stable version of Drivepool and Scanner for what it's worth. The devs are testing a Windows 10 build now and recommend waiting for that, while acknowledging that most people on Windows 10 are running well.

That was the conclusion i came to as well. I think i'll go for it. That will just leave 2 more or possibly 3 machines to upgrade.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
The drobo is officially on ebay. Long live FreeNAS!

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

I posted something similar to this months ago, but why do people keep doing bad and stupid things like this? Goddamn

e: The original is way worse

My Rhythmic Crotch fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 9, 2015

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Purely for stupid amusement. In the ISP business, we get vendors handing out flash drives with poo poo capacity like candy, all the time. Seriously, piles of them build up in our office. My director and I were jokingly discussing buying a bunch of hubs to daisy chain and doing something similar to this, purely for the horror show factor of it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I wonder how many times he's lost all of the data on that shitpile by now.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
I love how he managed to save $$$ by getting the crap drives for only $350, then proceeded to dump over 10x as much on everything else.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Skandranon posted:

I love how he managed to save $$$ by getting the crap drives for only $350, then proceeded to dump over 10x as much on everything else.

If he spent $1000 on fabricating metal enclosures, and 64 hours hand-stitching leather for it, I'm gonna go with the assumption that he didn't really give a gently caress about the cost, and the $350 worth of drives were just a convenience factor: the entire project was pretty clearly a "let's make something that looks cool" and not a "how can I build the fastest and most reliable server for $X?"

That said, even with Storage Spaces, I hope he has set it to something like 4 disk parity for whenever those drives eventually start kicking the bucket.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I assume the youtube vid is just more of the do anything to get views.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

DrDork posted:

If he spent $1000 on fabricating metal enclosures, and 64 hours hand-stitching leather for it, I'm gonna go with the assumption that he didn't really give a gently caress about the cost, and the $350 worth of drives were just a convenience factor: the entire project was pretty clearly a "let's make something that looks cool" and not a "how can I build the fastest and most reliable server for $X?"

That said, even with Storage Spaces, I hope he has set it to something like 4 disk parity for whenever those drives eventually start kicking the bucket.

Even so... why bother putting so much effort into something that will so poorly fulfill it's stated purpose? If cost was no issue, he should have just gotten 20x4tb drives. Probably would have saved the headache of getting enough controllers and enclosures for 45 drives, AND been more reliable to boot.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
What's the cheapest budget option for poors at this point? I just want something that I can shove 2 drives in and throw on my network for media storage and backups. The bulk of it will be TV/movies that will be served up by plex running on an Intel NUC on the network and consumed by a Nexus Player. I'd prefer for the NAS to be able to handle sabnzbd/sonarr.

This is really overkill but I enjoy setting poo poo like this up. I'd really like to stay in the 100-200 range before drive cost though, which pretty much rules out synology as far as I can tell. I could just throw a USB enclosure on the NUC but that seems like a bad idea. I'm not worried about super redundancy or anything but last I checked USB storage is sort of asking for trouble.

Is it possible to do some data hoarding NAS bullshit on this budget?

Edit: Compactness is somewhat of a priority, so no cheap micro-atx builds. A very compact mini-itx would be pushing it but potentially doable. I'd bump the budget to like 200-300 for something that could both serve as a NAS and handle the duties I had planned for the NUC (Plex server w/ 1 stream transcoding, sabnzbd, Sonarr, maybe other small servers like mumble).

Fruit Chewy fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Aug 10, 2015

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

Fruit Chewy posted:

What's the cheapest budget option for poors at this point? I just want something that I can shove 2 drives in and throw on my network for media storage and backups. The bulk of it will be TV/movies that will be served up by plex running on an Intel NUC on the network and consumed by a Nexus Player. I'd prefer for the NAS to be able to handle sabnzbd/sonarr.

This is really overkill but I enjoy setting poo poo like this up. I'd really like to stay in the 100-200 range before drive cost though, which pretty much rules out synology as far as I can tell. I could just throw a USB enclosure on the NUC but that seems like a bad idea. I'm not worried about super redundancy or anything but last I checked USB storage is sort of asking for trouble.
On Amazon right now there is a Synology $149 bucks. No idea if it'll act as a sonarr client, though.

I just pulled the trigger on a Synology 215j for about 200 bucks, along with a couple of hard drives.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
NewEgg regularly has been running deals on the WD Cloud NAS appliance. Not sure how many 3rd party apps it supports, but the last offer was something like $480 for one with 4x2TB drives pre-installed, which is a hell of a deal if it otherwise meets your needs.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
I think I've actually decided to go with a Mini-ITX self-build. I managed to slap together something with a Pentium G3258 and 8GB non-ECC ram in a super small Mini-ITX case for ~$270 which I figure beats any of the super budget entry-level NAS appliances (and the thinkserver for price) pretty handily and can serve just fine as a Plex server as well. The fun part is going to be hanging drives in all of the space set aside for a full-size graphics card in either the CoolerMaster Elite 110 or the Silverstone SG13B-Q when I decide to expand to more drives.

Is freeNAS the way to go on something like this? Anyone have experience running Plex/sab/sonarr in freeNAS?

Edit: I'm having a real hard time justifying anything other than a single 4TB red for my initial storage. I don't terribly care about redundancy for this application, since this is just a media host.
code:
3x 1TB Red - 3TB $195 - $65/tb
1x 3TB Red - 3TB $118 - $39/tb
1x 3TB HGST- 3TB $124 - $41/tb
2x 2TB Red - 4TB $184 - $46/tb
1x 4TB Red - 4TB $154 - $38/tb
1x 4TB HGST- 4TB $169 - $42/tb
2x 3TB Red - 6TB $236 - $39/tb
The way the $/TB works out, it seems like there's basically no reason to go with anything other than a single 4TB for now. Is there any filesystem setup that would let me expand my volume onto a second 4TB drive in the future?

Fruit Chewy fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Fruit Chewy posted:

I think I've actually decided to go with a Mini-ITX self-build. I managed to slap together something with a Pentium G3258 and 8GB non-ECC ram in a super small Mini-ITX case for ~$270 which I figure beats any of the super budget entry-level NAS appliances (and the thinkserver for price) pretty handily and can serve just fine as a Plex server as well. The fun part is going to be hanging drives in all of the space set aside for a full-size graphics card in either the CoolerMaster Elite 110 or the Silverstone SG13B-Q when I decide to expand to more drives.

Is freeNAS the way to go on something like this? Anyone have experience running Plex/sab/sonarr in freeNAS?

Edit: I'm having a real hard time justifying anything other than a single 4TB red for my initial storage. I don't terribly care about redundancy for this application, since this is just a media host.
code:
3x 1TB Red - 3TB $195 - $65/tb
1x 3TB Red - 3TB $118 - $39/tb
1x 3TB HGST- 3TB $124 - $41/tb
2x 2TB Red - 4TB $184 - $46/tb
1x 4TB Red - 4TB $154 - $38/tb
1x 4TB HGST- 4TB $169 - $42/tb
2x 3TB Red - 6TB $236 - $39/tb
The way the $/TB works out, it seems like there's basically no reason to go with anything other than a single 4TB for now. Is there any filesystem setup that would let me expand my volume onto a second 4TB drive in the future?

If you don't care about redundancy, you don't need anything special, filesystem wise. You can either just run 2 drives, or do simple JBOD with your motherboard RAID controller, or use Storage Spaces to do the drive concatenation.