Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
So did a test this morning and set all of my drives to Level 64 Power Management as well as "Medium Acoustic Output." Turns out that was a mistake. I could hear them keep powering/spinning down and was annoyed by that, so I went to change back to the previous settings. But it seems like it hasn't changed anything, they still spin down (I can hear them "wake up" as soon as I call the file system). Not sure if it's all of them or just one, but this is annoying as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hi Jinx
Feb 12, 2016

D. Ebdrup posted:

As for ZFS and memory, if you follow the guideline of 1GB memory for every 1TB of raw storage, even a 4x4TB pool in raidz1 would need 16GB memory - and that leaves absolutely no memory for the OS itself, or additional applications that you might want to run.

Isn't that guideline for busy multiuser environments though? What is ZFS going to use it for other than ARC, if you don't do dedupe? A single-user system at home streaming media and hosting backups should be able to get away with much less.

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010
Would this used server be a nice buy at that price? It basically seems complete aside from adding hard-drives to it, and it has way more than enough power to do what I was originally planning to with my from-scratch build, as well as having enough bays to last for a long, long time, and is cheaper than the combined parts I was going to make mine from. I can't cannibalize the parts in it, so I'd have to deal with a huge 2U rack-server, but otherwise, would it be okay for something like unRaid? I could ignore the raid controller or take it out, yeah?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Hi Jinx posted:

ZFS won't make things worse than they would be with a cheap non-ECC NAS or a consumer motherboard RAID. Maybe I'm wrong, because the regular scrub runs could actually gently caress up your data due to random bit errors when otherwise it'd be safe on disk? You're probably still better off with ZFS.
Scrubs only write data when fixing errors. All filesystem blocks are checksummed. If a block gets corrupted in memory, the checksum won't match. If that happens and there's redundancy, it gets "fixed". The checksum itself is also protected, because it is stored above in the hierarchy, which is again checksummed in the metadata block higher up, and so forth.

D. Ebdrup posted:

As for ZFS and memory, if you follow the guideline of 1GB memory for every 1TB of raw storage, even a 4x4TB pool in raidz1 would need 16GB memory - and that leaves absolutely no memory for the OS itself, or additional applications that you might want to run.
That's a guideline for enterprise scenarios, where large amounts of data are in-flight and/or need to be accessible as fast as possible. This doesn't apply to SOHO scenarios. And it also doesn't mean the OS would be starved out of memory, if you don't follow the guideline. It just means that there isn't as much data (and metadata) cached. Also, the ARC isn't fix in size, if you raise the memory pressure via apps, it'll back off.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jun 12, 2016

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

That's a guideline for enterprise scenarios, where large amounts of data are in-flight and/or need to be accessible as fast as possible. This doesn't apply to SOHO scenarios. And it also doesn't mean the OS would be starved out of memory, if you don't follow the guideline. It just means that there isn't as much data (and metadata) cached. Also, the ARC isn't fix in size, if you raise the memory pressure via apps, it'll back off.
You're right, that guideline is apparently completely bunk nowadays - it used to covered in the FreeBSD handbook. Nowadays the rule of thumb is that you need memory enough to keep all your active metadata in memory, with a bit left over to keep often-used data in ARC - and that it also depends on several factors including how many files/how big they are, what the average read/write block size is, how many peak IOPS you need. Which is a fancy way of saying that if it isn't running good enough, you're either bottlenecked by the underlying hardware, or you probably need to throw more memory at it - which somewhat justifies having a cpu+motherboard that can take more than 16GB of memory if you're posting in a digital packrat thread.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
You're still transposing guidelines intended for a professional environment onto some NAS serving a bunch of pirated videos.

Hi Jinx
Feb 12, 2016

Touchfuzzy posted:

Would this used server be a nice buy at that price? It basically seems complete aside from adding hard-drives to it, and it has way more than enough power to do what I was originally planning to with my from-scratch build, as well as having enough bays to last for a long, long time, and is cheaper than the combined parts I was going to make mine from. I can't cannibalize the parts in it, so I'd have to deal with a huge 2U rack-server, but otherwise, would it be okay for something like unRaid? I could ignore the raid controller or take it out, yeah?

It is a pretty good deal if you can live with the noise from a rackmount Supermicro. It's a 2U server with two power hungry processors inside, it's going to need to run those small fans at a very high RPM. That is going to be very, very loud.

You wouldn't have to get rid of the RAID card. Just run it in JBOD mode so it passes the disks through to whatever OS you decide on. (If you are not running ZFS in the OS though, I'd just stick with hardware RAID.)

If you're looking at Supermicro and noise is an issue, I would suggest you go to a 4U setup based on the 846 or 847 series chassis. They're still very loud, but it's not impossible to mod them to be friendlier. You also get a lot more disks. :p

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If you're worried about bit flipping, just put your NAS in a faraday cage!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I run something like 40TB of pools with only 12 GB of ram and I can saturate my gigabit network and the server gets used for lots of other stuff as well.

Ram isn't near as important for home usage as some people say.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I run 6x 2TB drives with 7TiB of usable storage in the pool on an e6750 C2D and 6GB of DDR2 RAM, works pretty well.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Getting in late on ESD chat: The fun thing about ESD damage is that it causes two categories of failure, catastrophic and latent. People intuitively think that because they don't see immediate (catastrophic) failures when they don't bother with ESD safety, well that must mean it's all pointless. But... You know how when you build up a static charge and touch something grounded you can get a visible spark, and it hurts? That much energy is way more than enough to vaporize a metal layer connection in a chip, because those "wires" are so very thin. Discharges you can't even feel are enough to do this. Such events don't always break the connection permanently: some of the metal re-solidifies into a new wire good enough for the circuit to work okay, but these often become very slow blowing fuses rather than normal connections.

This is one of the many fun ways ESD causes latent failures. It can take years for some of these to progress into an unambiguous "poo poo's broken" failure. Sometimes the IC is only mostly fine before it breaks completely, ie there are little glitches now and then.

One reason lots of people get away without taking ESD seriously when assembling PCs from whitebox parts is that it's a much bigger deal before components have been assembled onto a circuit board. Once they are, there's many more paths for charge to dissipate harmlessly in things which can take it, any given injection of charge has a decent chance of splitting between multiple components (decreasing the risk to each), and so on. It doesn't become impossible to harm things, but it is much less likely.

I've been a guest inside a professional PCB assembly and rework factory. You were not allowed to set foot on the factory ESD-safe floor without a shoe grounding strap (or ESD shoes, which basically have a grounding strap built in) and an ESD-safe labcoat, and would get in real trouble for not using a wrist grounding strap while handling stuff at a bench. You don't have to go this crazy when building a PC, but basic measures will get you a long way.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I've personally broken two motherboards from ESD damage in a row after constantly rubbing them against the case during winter. Also, I've gotten plenty of sticks of dead RAM during winter months. The worst part was that touching grounded metal frequently didn't help when you have so little humidity and you're on carpet on top of a really static-y chair mat. I didn't care too much at the time because I'd never had anything happen after 15 years of working on computers but I don't mess around anymore after losing $700 of equipment within 2 months like that.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

PerrineClostermann posted:

If you're worried about bit flipping, just put your NAS in a faraday cage!
For consumers, a flipped bit is just gonna give you a bad pixel on an image or weird letter in a document, right?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

For consumers, a flipped bit is just gonna give you a bad pixel on an image or weird letter in a document, right?
Depends on what your software RAID is storing in memory and what's being stored on the pool´. For example, if you're using zfs on root with any OS that's capable of it, it can cause the system to crash if a critical software component is hit - whereas if you're just storing vacation images (that aren't bitmapped) you may end up with a broken image.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
A local computer store is having a clearout on HP ML150 G9s (1xE5-2603v3, 8GB, B140i) for ~$900CAD and I'm tempted. I use HP stuff at work a fair bit so I know the quirks and how updates end without a support contract but it could be a pretty sweet server/NAS box..

Good idea? Bad idea?

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

priznat posted:

A local computer store is having a clearout on HP ML150 G9s (1xE5-2603v3, 8GB, B140i) for ~$900CAD and I'm tempted. I use HP stuff at work a fair bit so I know the quirks and how updates end without a support contract but it could be a pretty sweet server/NAS box..

Good idea? Bad idea?

Seems an awful lot just for 8 HD slots... does it come with any HDs, or just the cages? You can get an ECC motherboard/cpu/ram/case for much less than $900 if you just want the ECC memory.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I'm not sure I'm in the right thread; feel free to send me elsewhere.

I need a network storage box to run Plex, a torrent client, and host a lot of music and video files. It's replacing an ancient PC whose Ethernet and USB sockets are dying, and in any case does not support USB-3. The obvious choice would be to buy a consumer box, but Plex can't transcode on the fly on any of the consumer NAS devices I can find. I also need a box that can run a browser so I can use it to print files on Unix Cloud Print.

I can use Emacs and the Unix command line and can install packages on Ubuntu. I'm not a sophisticated sysadmin, nor ever have been.

A consumer NAS won't work; a Windows box won't work, because I'd rather sysadmin Ubuntu than Windows. Which thread should I go to for a cheap build-your-own Unix-based media server?

(e: Also feel free to tell me why I should use Windows.)

edit edit: All my music files are in FLAC, so an MP3-only streamer won't work.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 13, 2016

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
Ubuntu's fine for a first server. My Ubuntu server's been happily running 14.04 since that LTS came out, and managed to put up with an amateur Linux user messing around with various packages. It's due a good OS overhaul/upgrade when I get time.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I don't understand why everybody wants to run Plex. Is it only for the on-the-fly transcoding? What's wrong with a basic CIFS/NFS/DLNA server and using Kodi clients?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Furism posted:

I don't understand why everybody wants to run Plex. Is it only for the on-the-fly transcoding? What's wrong with a basic CIFS/NFS/DLNA server and using Kodi clients?

Remote access to media and family sharing are big features for some.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Remote access to media and family sharing are big features for some.

This. It's super easy to use anywhere, for multiple people, on any device, and also keeps track of my shows and progress.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

PerrineClostermann posted:

This. It's super easy to use anywhere, for multiple people, on any device, and also keeps track of my shows and progress.

Keeping track of shows and progress you can do on Kodi, but I can see how the other feature can be of interest for some people who don't want to fiddle with configs etc. Thanks.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
I use them both, Plex for transcoding to my Phone and Tablet, Kodi on the TV.

They both look at the same NAS folder for media, works out pretty well.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I use them both, Plex for transcoding to my Phone and Tablet, Kodi on the TV.

They both look at the same NAS folder for media, works out pretty well.

FWIW, you might want to use emby instead of plex. It seamlessly takes over managing your Kodi library while at the same time giving you device streaming capabilities.

The point is that your watched status and metadata stays in sync between emby clients and Kodi.

A Plex addon for Kodi that does the same recently came out but I don't know much about it because I prefer emby.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You can also point Kodi at an external database if you just wanted to sync the metadata:

http://kodi.wiki/view/MySQL/Setting_up_Kodi

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

FWIW, you might want to use emby instead of plex. It seamlessly takes over managing your Kodi library while at the same time giving you device streaming capabilities.

The point is that your watched status and metadata stays in sync between emby clients and Kodi.

A Plex addon for Kodi that does the same recently came out but I don't know much about it because I prefer emby.

I'll take a look, thanks for the tip. Usually I just watch a complete episode or movie so the watched and progress stuff is not that important to me. ;)

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Thermopyle posted:

Thanks Ants posted:

You can also point Kodi at an external database if you just wanted to sync the metadata:

http://kodi.wiki/view/MySQL/Setting_up_Kodi

:tviv:

I use the external database thing, just so if the MicroSD card in my rPi ever waves the white flag, I can be back up and running in no time. Although, I had no idea about the emby thing. I use Plex strictly only on my fireTV Stick. Is there a way to sync that data with the SQL database? I guess I could always try sideloading Kodi on the fireTV Stick, but im not sure I'd be able to change the config to point to the DB. This is probably the wrong thread for this, but I hadn't thought about it til you guys brought it up :shobon:

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Way off topic, but I fly internationally a lot and my iPad is about 80 gigs of synced tv shows I have no other time to watch. Does anyone have a mobile app anywhere near the class of plex pass for iOS for that use case? I just say keep the last 5 episodes unwatched of these 20 shows and every time I'm near wifi it gets freshened. F

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Plex also has a matching app for my Roku, so that it's trivial to stream to my TV from my existing setup.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

eightysixed posted:

:tviv:

I use the external database thing, just so if the MicroSD card in my rPi ever waves the white flag, I can be back up and running in no time. Although, I had no idea about the emby thing. I use Plex strictly only on my fireTV Stick. Is there a way to sync that data with the SQL database? I guess I could always try sideloading Kodi on the fireTV Stick, but im not sure I'd be able to change the config to point to the DB. This is probably the wrong thread for this, but I hadn't thought about it til you guys brought it up :shobon:

There's not a good way to sync Plex to SQL. As I mentioned Emby replaces SQL...and it runs on Fire TV.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Plex also has a matching app for my Roku, so that it's trivial to stream to my TV from my existing setup.

(emby does this too)

I swear I like Plex as well, I just moved to Emby for mobile streaming when they came out with the Kodi integration.

Probably should finish up this thread derail by taking it to the Emby thread.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So Onedrive is reducing its limit and I'm gonna be over. gently caress sure, I have my own NAS, why do I need their services? Only thing is, is there a way to auto backup phone photos to a personal NAS? Talking Android and a crappy Buffalo Linkstation 421

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

codo27 posted:

So Onedrive is reducing its limit and I'm gonna be over. gently caress sure, I have my own NAS, why do I need their services? Only thing is, is there a way to auto backup phone photos to a personal NAS? Talking Android and a crappy Buffalo Linkstation 421

Bittorrent sync, dropbox, etc...

edit: you're obviously not afraid of the cloud, so you should use Google Photos. It's an amazing product and it will auto-backup your photos to the cloud.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I would personally recommend SyncThing. This software is amazingly good and secure. It's all Open Source, runs on any CPU known to mankind, and you can install it on your phone. Just add your phone's picture directory to the list of directories to sync, and the Android/iOS client will pick them up.

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
I use this app to do a scheduled file transfer from phone to a samba share on my home server:

https://plus.google.com/communities/101884705965609685163

I've set it to sync every second hour, doing a simple directory sync. If I'm not at home and the sync obviously fails it's discretely recorded in the sync logs without annoying me.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I ended up finding this app and it works great so far. Set up to sync to my NAS, while charging phone. Its only in alpha and the UI looks a tad unpolished but as I said, works so far. Lots of options.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Ok, I should be getting everything I need to make a file/plex server this weekend.

I've been looking at doing something similar to you so wanted to check in - how did your build go?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

The Milkman posted:

The new FreeNAS UI looks pretty nice. Not just visually, seems like feedback and responsiveness is vastly improved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TS6vvpP1yQ

Edit: bhyve+docker will be a huge shot in the arm for the ecosystem.

Ugh, seeing a FreeBSD committer (and founder) using a Mac for this demo always pains me. FreeBSD will never fix itself if none of the devs dogfood it on their own machines.

Furism posted:

I would personally recommend SyncThing. This software is amazingly good and secure. It's all Open Source, runs on any CPU known to mankind, and you can install it on your phone. Just add your phone's picture directory to the list of directories to sync, and the Android/iOS client will pick them up.

You have a far, far higher opinion of SyncThing than I do - I found it used a laughable amount of CPU, drained my Android phone battery managed to start duplicating files, even when I'd only pointed it at two folders with less than 10 small files.

Painful.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

wooger posted:

You have a far, far higher opinion of SyncThing than I do - I found it used a laughable amount of CPU, drained my Android phone battery managed to start duplicating files, even when I'd only pointed it at two folders with less than 10 small files.

Painful.

Well to be honest I don't use it on my phone but on the desktop + NAS for backup it works just fine for me as a replacement of Dropbox (which I never used for anything but synching files between computers).

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Furism posted:

Well to be honest I don't use it on my phone but on the desktop + NAS for backup it works just fine for me as a replacement of Dropbox (which I never used for anything but synching files between computers).

Yeah, it probably does work fine there - especially for non-battery powered devices. And it may have come on since last year when I tried it.

I'm pretty sure I'd just use a network / sshfs share or rsync to avoid the need in that case though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
Hi all-knowledgeable NAS goons! I've asked a few questions in this thread before and got some great advice (which I ultimately have never used due to various reasons). But I have a new set of questions so I can confirm what I'm thinking. I'm about to go balls to the wall with my mini-ITX build and remove my 3.5" bay; so that won't be an option to consider.

Basically, I want to store GoPro videos of me and my dad motorbike riding, store music and videos on something that I can easily access (as I'm planning on getting a 1TB SSD to accompany my current, 250GB SSD in my build, it soon won't be feasible to store all this stuff in my actual computer). So all of the stuff I want to do is pretty simple and I know almost any NAS will be able to do it, but here's my questions:

1) My home internet is absolutely woeful (it took 3 days to upload a 15 minute video to YouTube), am I correct in assuming that once this stuff is downloaded, the transfer to the NAS is actually limited by the slowest local piece of equipment (likely my modem/router)? I.e. The transfer of data will be a lot quicker?

2) Assuming the above is correct, do I actually have to have my NAS connected via Ethernet to my modem, or can it all be done via wifi?

3) Do I still need to actually back this data up, or will having the NAS in (insert whatever array# appropriate) be sufficient?

4) Assuming I'm correct on points 1 and 2, what's a good 2 bay NAS?

Thanks in advance goons :)