Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Are there any of the entry-level consumer Synology NAS servers one should avoid? I am looking for something to run Plex and store some photos and music on, and was looking at the DS213J or DS215j.
Consider it a baby's first NAS purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Krailor posted:

None of the entry level Syno units are great with Plex. They all have anemic CPUs that aren't that great for transcoding. The play units claim to feature hardware transcoding but it doesn't work with Plex.

Thanks, I figured there might be something like that with basic ones.
Foregive my ignorance, but is this a limitation of Plex or just video streaming from Synology in general? I just mentioned Plex as this is something I know.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

Transcoding takes lots of power and arm CPUs in cheaper nas devices just arnt strong enough.

Is transcoding needed every time a media file is played or can it be done in advance for files?

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Anyone have any experience with a Synology failing to hibernate? I recently replaced my 2x2TB with 2x8TB in my DS218Play and I have had it sitting on my disk as it was rebuilding - I noticed that it does not hibernate either the disks nor the NAS itsself.

Is there a checklist of things to check off in terms of things that interfere with hibernation - Only thing I can think of is that one of the drives clicks at random intervals, even though I'm not connecting to it. Is it just doing a check or is one of my drives faulty? SMART says no issues...

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Thanks for the help guys - Funny thing is that it actually hibernated last night, but not WoL doesn't turn it on again...

Exciting times...

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Also, just to check I am not a complete loving idiot (it has happened before). With auto power-off I should still be able to do a WoL, and not just when I do a standard shut down from the menu?

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

If I want to have a simple backup of all the pictures I have on my Synology, and will continue to add in the future, is Backblaze B2 still a recommended option, using Cloud Sync and just 1-way sync?

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

It's what I do. Turn on versioning and 30 days of history in B2 so that one virus doesn't encrypt all your photos, the synology happily uploads that to B2, and they're all gone.

Anything else I should be aware of? I can't seem to get an application key to work with Cloyd Sync, only my Master?

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

I had trouble getting this going as well, but I see one of my buckets uses it. Does your Cloud Sync specifically say it supports "applicationKeyId"'s? I am on DSM 6.2.2 / CloudSync 2.3.14. For single users on personal accounts using your master key is fine. ApplicationKeyId's are there for business users where you want segregation of permissions. If you just have one giant bucket it doesn't matter.

Yeah, same versions - 6.2.2 and 2.3.14. I just use it for private, so it doesn't really matter.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Should I have any concerns about updating to a new Synology wrt. transcoding of videos and the newer versions not being Intel with integrated GPU?

I have an old DS218Play that's getting a bit long in the tooth and looking at DS423+ (Intel) or DS923+ (AMD) and would use it primarily for watching ripped BR and storing all my photos, and whatever else is actually possible with a newer machine (Docker etc.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

withoutclass posted:

Going to depend what software you're using but IIRC the AMD poo poo sucks for transcodes. Generally inferior quality compared to intel and unsupported by Plex last I looked into it.

Well I have been using plex for now because 218play doesn't support docker so not a lot of other choices.