Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorfob
Feb 10, 2007
I'm looking to build a NAS type server for my up coming HTPC project. I'm building the storage end now as it can be used for other things while I get the front end organised.

I'm looking to build it around 1 OS disk and three storage discs in a Sata backplane with removable trays. I'm by no means brilliant but I have some basic Linux knowledge and am willing to dive in head first.

I want to yank a disk, whack a new one in and have it formatted and added to my storage and not lose anything. Preferably while hot (hot swap is not a huge necessity)
Network accessibility for the whole storage volume so Windows Media Center can see it and play nice with it.
Tolerate the failure of a hard drive.

From what I have read unRAID might be a go'er any other suggestions?

Gorfob fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jun 6, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorfob
Feb 10, 2007

kri kri posted:

I want to switch to a more power efficient server and a new low power intel chip. What is my best path forward?

Also interested in this.

EDIT: VIA C7®-M processors seem nifty. Although I am a bit sceptical of VIA stuff.

VIA MM350
Its an integrated processor of 1.5ghz that consumes about 20watts. The boards have integrated VGA (another bonus), LAN 10/100 only unfortunately. 2 SATA ports (having trouble finding out if they are SATA 300)and PCI-e which I would be putting a SATA card on with at least 4 ports of a 4 disk raid 5 array.

http://www.via-mm.com/index.jsp

The PC2500E
http://www.via.com.tw/en/initiatives/empowered/pc2500_mainboard/index.jsp
Looked at this mainly because VIA have dedicated linux drivers for all the hardware. No idea about the VIA MM350

Albatron KI690-AM2
http://www.albatron.com.tw/English/product/MB/pro_detail.asp?rlink=Specification&no=239
Pair that with a smaller AMD processor. It has 4 sata II ports and 1 IDE 133 port for an OS disc. Also has GB ethernet.

The big power guzzler is of course going to be the drives. Finding a PSU that can do a large amount of drives and isn't a massive 750W fucker is pretty hard. The Mini/pico PSU's only have 1 sata power connector. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground. You could combine a normal PSU with a micro PSU. Using the micro one to power the board and OS drive. The normal PSU to power the drives. Assuming the drives power down properly when not in use this could be a viable process.

Gorfob fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 19, 2008

Gorfob
Feb 10, 2007

maninacape posted:

Chenbro case

Wish I could find a stockist in Australia. That's exactly what I was hoping for in a box. Does it fit non atom processors in the same form factor? Or is it really that tight?

Gorfob
Feb 10, 2007

maninacape posted:

When I say "cramped" I mean in terms of surface area, not in height. The case should fit most if not all mini-itx boards. It (the case) actually comes with a rather large CPU heatsink that is designed to fit in the case.

There are Australian chenbro resellers (http://www.chenbro.com/corporatesite/buy_detail.php?pos=5). Did you try asking them if they know a store that carries it? That's what I ended up doing (I live in Canada).

Digicor don't stock that particular case. I checked them already as one of our servers at work uses a Chenbro case that we got from them. They did say they have had 10 or so enquires in the last week since that post was made. Pretty funny I'm betting they where all goons too :xd: I'll try that other one. I failed to find them in a google search.

EDIT: Todaytech does not stock either. I think I might be resigned to never seeing this case.

EDIT2: Rang Digicor again and said I was from the Department of Education. They scrambled to find me a price. Which sadly is more expensive than getting the loving thing shipped from San Francisco by 30 Australian dollars. God I hate this country sometimes.

Now to find a mini-itx board with 6 sata II ports. gently caress using old PATA crap.

Gorfob fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Sep 12, 2008

Gorfob
Feb 10, 2007

Allistar posted:

I'm actually doing a writeup on what you should put together (system wise) for a FreeNAS box.

Hows this going? I'm about to embark on my own build-your-own-NAS-adventure myself.

Gorfob
Feb 10, 2007

ungaungaunga posted:

Sorry for the noobiness. Very new at this. I've been trolling Craigslist to scrounge for parts, and I came across this thing.

Does it look like something worth checking out?

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/sys/2463747193.html

It will chew some serious power. But if you are not averse to swapping the innards out you really can't go wrong with 12 drive bays even if all you keep is the case and drive bays.

Gorfob
Feb 10, 2007

Tornhelm posted:

Or if you're bored, a few Australians have got it upto 19TB (5x3TB, 4x1TB and a system + cache drive) all in that tiny case.

Woah. That is fantastic.

Gorfob
Feb 10, 2007

BnT posted:

I'm very happy with my cheap raid card: IBM m1015, an 8-port SAS card which supports 3TB drives. I paid $70 for a used one on eBay. I flashed it back to an OEM LSI BIOS (see my previous post), and it's playing nice with ESXi and ZFS in passthrough. I'm not using the Microserver though, and not sure if you can get VT-d working on it.

This is what I'm after but they are holy christ expensive in Australia.

Gorfob
Feb 10, 2007
How many SATA 3gbps drives can I run off a PCIe x 16 slot before they start bottle necking? Unless I'm super retarded and suck hard at maths running a IBM m1015 with 8 drives on it should be more than fine?

Gorfob
Feb 10, 2007

Factory Factory posted:

:words:

movax posted:

:words:

Thank you to you both. Ordered one off ebay to give my old core 2 quad something to do after I replace it as HTPC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorfob
Feb 10, 2007

PopeOnARope posted:

The only thing I can do is to create another array. The card doesn't detect the original array whatsoever. And I sort of didn't have a backup. I never expected the whole array to gently caress off at once.

This is why I am currently looking at buying a big gently caress off stack of dual layer blurays and a dual layer burner. Burn and store.

Still trying to work out how to keep new stuff sorted. TV shows are easy rip, name, art burn whole season 1 one disc. Still working out how I will keep movies done. perhaps a big one to start with then monthly disc additions.

But then you have stuff like LOTR-super-duper-extended-comes-with-a- vial-of-Peter-Jacksons-sweat-Edition that dont fit on one disc even when you tear everything apart and only put the movie into the file. I could perhaps make multi part rar or something? I don't know.