Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
It seems like the HP ProLiant N54L (previous generation) is pretty cheap, and I've been thinking about getting a NAS for a while.

So here's what I'm thinking about buying:
A HP ProLiant N54L. 2.2 GHz Amd Turion II processor, no disks, 2-4 GB memory.
8 GB ECC RAM in order to make ZFS happy.

I don't have any specific needs, but I'd like to not lose everything if a disk dies, and I think I want at least 4 TB of usable storage. It seems like 3 x 3 TB disks is at a pretty good price point, and then they can be configured for RAID-Z. Would I be more happy with two 4 TB disks in raid 1?

Is there anything I should be aware of with this setup? Will the CPU be hilariously underpowered?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the answers.

DrDork posted:

Yeah, the N54L is a nice little box. As for if the CPU will be underpowered, that depends on what you want to do with it. It's plenty for just running NAS4Free/FreeNAS or whatever other basic OS you want, along with your favorite torrent application. It will not, however, be enough to do much in the way of on-the-fly transcoding, if you were considering that.
I don't believe that lack of transcoding is a dealbreaker, I certainly haven't needed it yet. I still think I'll wait and see what happens to the gen 8 servers.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
I can find the Gen7 for less than 1,500 DKK (265 USD), but the cheapest Gen8 is around 2,400 DKK (420 USD). The prices aren't directly comparable with US prices due to VAT and taxes. For reference a Synology DS415play is around 3,500 DKK (620 USD), so a gen8 is still cheaper, but the price difference between gen7 and gen8 is nearly equivalent to the cost of an extra 4 TB drive.

According to silentpcreview, the Gen8 fan speed is higher if you disable hardware RAID, but if you enable it, it's actually quieter than the gen7. Apparently it's tied to ILO's detection of disk temperature.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
I went and bought the N54L along with 4 disks in ZRAID2 on FreeNAS. It only came with 4 GB ram, but I tested it while waiting for the extra ram to arrive. I was only able to achieve sequential write speeds of around 65 MB/s. Now, with a total of 12 GB ram, it easily hits 100 MB/s.

Does anyone know if the MiniDLNA plugin is supposed to scan for updated files automatically? Right now I have to disable and enable the plugin for it to register, and I'm getting tired of that.