Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

flakeloaf posted:

System's built, drives are tested, everything's plugged in, let's unpack the RAID card and ju

:bang: loving ebay

That looks a lot like what happens when you plug a pcie card into the riser slot on a rack mounted server. The ground pins got vaporized in the one I saw. The card still worked though, still lots of ok ground contacts on the edge connector.

Last place I worked a friggin principal engineer did this, durr lets just jam card in here cuz it fits!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Also often x16 mechanical slots are actually just x8 slots, connectivity wise. Usually it will have it silkscreened on the motherboard.

Alternatively and FYI, you can plug wider cards into narrower slots sometimes - some of the connectors will have an open end to allow this. You lose some bandwidth on the connection but it will work fine, just slower.

PCIe is really flexible.

E: fb

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Saukkis posted:

IIRC years ago Tom's Hardware or some other tech website tested how much 1x/4x/8x affects graphics cards. They just put electrical tape over the contacs on the card to turn a normal x16 card to narrower PCIe.

Electrical tape is a little thick i would recommend using kapton tape instead.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

movax posted:

Hmm, so are there any Xeon-D boards out yet that are rocking say 2 x8 PCIe slots for my HBA needs? That's what I'm waiting for so I can upgrade my NAS. ASRock board still vaporware?

We have a Supermicro 5018D-FN4T Xeon-D for PCIe interop testing at work and it has a single x16. It's a really great little box/mobo, I like it a lot. Would make a nice NAS controller with 6 onboard sata3 ports too. Quad GbE too!

http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/1u/5018/sys-5018d-fn4t.cfm

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

It's great the ASRock stuff is showing up now, we could only get the Xeon-D from Supermicro before. Our application is fine with the single x16 so it was fine for us.

Supermicro support is great too, our endpoint requires above 4GB decoding and they provided us with a bios update to enable that as it isn't in there by default.

I would love to make a Xeon-D home server/NAS, it is perfect for that application. Still kinda spendy for me though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Catching up on the ASRock boards, the D1540D4I looks totally perfect for me. Just have to see it show up somewhere here for sale now :f5:

Has anyone seen pricing?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I'm curious, haven't bought a hdd controller card in ages, does LSI just own the market at a certain price point? What about Adaptec?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Thanks, good infos!

LSI's parent co (avago) is my company's main competitor so I feel I should not buy one if possible ;)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Speaking of off the shelf NAS setups, how are Qnaps? It looked like for the longest while they had superior hardware specs to Synology but their software wasn't as nice looking. Now they just had a major refresh on the software and it looks as good as the Synology stuff. Are they pretty even or one is better for one market than the other? (Home use vs soho etc)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

This reminds me, I have a bunch of PATA drives that relatives gave me to "wipe off", what'd be the best way to destroy them that won't make a huge mess? And that doesn't involve having to unscrew each one to get the platters out.

Just curious if there is a quick and easy way to make a drive unreadable anymore. I have nothing that talks to PATA anymore and I don't want to get an adapter..

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

DrDork posted:

Using them for target practice is a pretty solid method.

That'd be messy though.. Albeit satisfying.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Thanks for the responses all, good ideas.

Yeah I would rate the risk of anything on the drives being compromised as very low, with the value of the data even lower. I was curious if there were any quick kill methods like punching out the spindle or drilling a hole thru the platters that people preferred.

I think my method will be wrap with plastic wrap to contain fragments then bash with a 5lb hammer. Should do er nicely!

Somewhat related question for everyone: what is the smallest drive you'd bother hanging on to for storage, like at what point is the power used by a drive mean it's just no longer worth keeping? I am guessing there is a storage/watt metric (one for idle, one for active), I need to look into that.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Martytoof posted:

You could take a punch and drive it through the case into the platters, but that would require a punch and hammer.

Any time I had to dispose of personal stuff I've just taken pliers to the PCB and wrecked it beyond economical repair. You could obviously just replace the PCB but that's a personal risk I'm wiling to take.

I work in the financial industry and the regulations for shredding work disks are a little stricter, to say the least :v:

Do they have any industrial grade shredders that can munch a 3.5" hdd? That would be frigging cool. Like a scaled down version of the thing that can grind up 60 gallon drums filled with concrete.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

movax posted:

Why not just DBAN a couple of passes? Or did they actually want the drives 'destroyed'?

For me, I don't have any PATA interface controllers anymore, these are some old rear end drives.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

My 10 year old ReadyNas NV has packed it in and the LED codes are pointing towards a corrupted boot loader. Trying to restore it via USB by holding the power button seems to have no effect. Minor annoyance as I had some ripped DVDs on there but nothing irreplaceable. Everything important is backed up in a couple other places.

So I'm looking at the new Qnap TS-453A with 4 3TB WD reds, it looks like it'll be fairly future proof. I like the idea of being able to virtualize some Linux machines too for tinkering.

Anyone got one of these yet?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I'd like to build a setup with a Xeon-D 1520/1540 but they're a little spendy for me right now.. Very nice boards though, I have been using a supermicro with the 1540 at work and it's really slick. Barely even needs a fan.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Anyone here run a Dell T20 with xeon e3-1225 as a nas/plex/vm server? Sale on them now at dell.ca and I'm tempted but I would like to go the DIY route.

Just can't decide between going low low power n3150/3700 or an i3/e3. Probably the latter because I'd like the cpu power and it would consume a lot less than the quoted TDP most of the time when idle.

Come on e3-1225v5s already :f5:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I like that idea of keeping the storage separate actually. Hmm time to scour ebay for JBOD deals :D

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

movax posted:

Looks like GIGABYTE kicked out some Xeon-D boards, but goddammit, still only one x16 slot :argh:

I want to replace my server chassis (it's been off for the past 10 months almost because of a few dead drives) since I have some time coming up, and I want to go full ESXi-based infrastructure with a Xeon-D based system. Should see some power savings over my current i7-920 + X58 based platform -- I idly wonder how much I could sell that used hardware for.

Hmmmm this is swaying me towards the "build it" camp vs the "buy it" for my next nas/home server. Might go for the 1521 version to save some bucks. Where do you go for server type boards like this, usually ncix/newegg doesn't have much of a selection (although they do get some)

Perhaps Lenovo will stick a Xeon-D in their next TS140.. That'd be pretty slick too.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

phosdex posted:

Newegg has a decent selection of supermicro stuff who id trust in server stuff a lot more than gigabyte. Otherwise you usually have to go to oem resellers. If you go to tinkertry.com, he's done a bunch of articles about his Xeon-d's and has links to where he purchased his.

Cool. I've gotten a supermicro xeon-d server for work (5018D-FN4T) and it's a great little server. Just a little pricey, I think it was $1500 before RAM/Drive. If the gigabyte ones aren't much of a savings I'd definitely see about finding a supermicro.

Dream setup would be a box like this and an HBA connected to jbod enclosure. Probably overkill for a family storage box but what the hell :D

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Don Lapre posted:

Yea, do it now. Then if you move to a larger synology you can just migrate your discs over and keep expanding.

I am assuming qnap has a similar setup, right?

Like would I be ok to start off in a 4 bay or larger with 2 drives and just add them as per my whims and discretionary spending?

Strongly considering a TS-x53A

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

AsRock Rack makes good stuff, buy with confidence.

I think Supermicro might also charge extra for unlocking IPMI, or was that another brand that I heard does that?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Glad it's not Supermicro, I like their stuff.

Anyone got an X11 board for a NAS setup yet? What CPU? X11SSM-F looks like it would be a great home server/NAS board.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Take it from me as a former ReadyNAS user. Dump it.

Yeah same. My ReadyNAS NV died, as in the firmware boot stopped working, and none of my attempts to restore have worked. And the drives are unrecoverable on their own. Even the case is seized up and ejecting the drives is nearly impossible.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The Qnap TBS-453a (m.2 based NAS appliance) is shipping now: http://www.thessdreview.com/daily-news/qnap-announces-tbs-453a-nasbook-worlds-first-m-2-ssd-based-nas/

Kind of neat, m.2 SSDs don't really compete on price with 3.5"s of course but I'm sure it'd have use cases. Small apartment, even lower power usage? Same guts as the TS-453a (celeron 3150).

What $/GB do you guys think it'll be worth moving to flash based home nas or spinning disk 4evah?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I love the 1540 but I'm thinking a 1520 might be adequate for my NAS needs.. They look to be about $500: http://www.amazon.com/ASRock-Rack-D1520D4I-Motherboard/dp/B01B9627DQ

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I'd like to build a FreeNAS setup but so far the sticking point is finding a motherboard that supports ECC that is not too expensive, any good options out or on the horizon? Cheapest I have seen are around $200CAD.

I'd like to get a pentium or possibly i3, socket 1151 for the potential for upgrades.

Or if I go with a non-ECC setup am I just asking for problems with freenas/ZFS?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Thanks for the responses on that! I'm thinking perhaps going with a B150 chipset + Pentium 4400 and running something like unraid instead..

All I need is something for a media server/downloader really.

I've been going back and forth between building one and just getting a synology/qnap for ages now.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

A local computer store is having a clearout on HP ML150 G9s (1xE5-2603v3, 8GB, B140i) for ~$900CAD and I'm tempted. I use HP stuff at work a fair bit so I know the quirks and how updates end without a support contract but it could be a pretty sweet server/NAS box..

Good idea? Bad idea?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I am thinking of building a combined nas/vm server using a xeon d, does anyone run a esx/hyper-v server with the nas in a vm? I've read that freenas doesn't really like being virtualized (don't know how out of date that was).

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Any good recommendations for a low power motherboard/cpu combo? I'd like something that is like the appliances from Qnap/Synology where they consume ~35W under load and normally barely anything.

Not much luck finding decent N3150/J1900 motherboards with more than 2 SATA3 ports.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

PerrineClostermann posted:

So I'm planning on upgrading from my 2600k to something modern sometime in the near future, and I'm hoping to use it to replace my NAS, which is currently running on an e6750 with 6GB of RAM. How easy is it to move my FreeNAS setup to a new machine?

Thinking of doing the same with my 2500k. Are you going to reconfigure anything to run at lower power consumption? (Turn off overclocking etc?)

Also any issues with the lack of ECC ram?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

This seems like a good time to post my current potential FreeNAS build. I wanted to put something together that had ECC, a decent size case, decent number of onboard SATA ports with room for expansion through an HBA..

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-6320 3.9GHz Dual-Core Processor ($214.99 @ PC Canada)
Motherboard: MSI C236M WORKSTATION Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($218.38 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: Kingston ValueRAM 16GB (1 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($101.99 @ PC Canada)
Memory: Kingston ValueRAM 16GB (1 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($101.99 @ PC Canada)
Case: Fractal Design Node 804 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($156.78 @ DirectCanada)
Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum 400W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular Fanless ATX Power Supply ($156.78 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $950.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-22 02:14 EDT-0400

32GB of RAM is probably overkill. I'd boot it from a USB stick (probably one of those speedy sandisk ones). The node 804 looks like lots of room for drives (10).

It's a couple hundred bucks than the TS-453A QNAP here but it would be a lot more powerful and flexible.

Thoughts? Parts to change out? Is it just plain too much?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Now that I think about it, IPMI would be very useful so I'm looking around at the supermicro boards now.. ASRock Rack would be another good choice too. The E3C236D4U specifically.

http://asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=E3C236D4U#Specifications

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

redeyes posted:

I've built a few ASROCK Rack server/workstations and I really like em. Good prices, solid performance, stability. What's not to love?

My only complaint is not to do with them but the fact that very few sellers (in Canada anyway) seem to have any of their boards listed. Most (like NCIX) will order them though!

Just don't get the instant gratification of an all online ordering ;)

I use several at work and they are great and have a really full featured bios.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

redeyes posted:

I've got a PowerEdge t410 and it does this really odd thing, maybe someone knows why. It lays on its side on a storage rack. If lays with its side which opens facing up, the fan spins at like 6000RPM and sounds like a vacuum cleaner. If I flip it 180 deg so the side which opens faces down the fans chill at normalish 1000-2000rpm... WTF?!

Having the side open mucks up the airflow perhaps? Can you try just keeping it with the open side up and put the case side back on?

Alternatively a switch is detecting the case is open and cranks fans to max and the switch is depressed when facing down.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

redeyes posted:

Sorry, in both orientations the case is totally closed. This is why it confuses me. You are probably right about the case switch somehow being opened or whatever. I will see if I can figure it out.

Oh gotcha! I misread. That is weird. Yeah could still be the switch, but that would be a very weak spring on the switch if it cant hold up from gravity if that is the case.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

That is a nice looking build, I am curious why so much space/raid for ESXi drive(s)? Why not a DOM?

(I have not looked into this at all yet but I thought that was a popular solution)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

This is somewhat offtopic but are there qsfp28 modules that allow you to connect GbE if you have a high end network card?

Want to test out some high end cards but just for functionality and not for performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Question for ya'll, might be better asked in the Linux thread but it is storage related.

How do I prevent Linux (ubuntu 16.10 in this case) from auto mounting and partitioning drives? I have some on a system I want to keep as non system partitions for running medusa traffic on but it seems that the OS just decides to mount/partition them. This didn't happen on CentOS 7 FWIW. These are NVMe drives and seems to affect Samsung and Micron ones especially.

Disabled auto mount in disks.app but it still does it, there isn't anything specifying these drives in /etc/fstab or anything.