Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Saukkis posted:

Not a big issue with software RAID. Create a RAID5 from three 250 GB partitions and RAID1 from the remaining two 250 GB. You lose 250 GB compared to three 500 GB drive, but it's better than using the 500 GB drives as RAID1 and keeping the 250 GB drive standalone.
There's a better way to do this if you setup the RAID 5 in a special, creative way in the first place.

Partition each drive into a smallish chunk that you think all future drives will round to, say 50 or 100 GB. Then create many RAID 5 volumes with 1 "stripe" on each drive. Then use LVM to cat those drives together as 1 volume.

If a drive dies, all of the small RAID 5 volumes lose 1 stripe and can be rebuilt the same as you would a single RAID 5 volume. It just helps if you script the process so you don't make a mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

CeciPipePasPipe posted:

Couldn't you just install a ZFS capable OS in a virtual machine and attach some small virtual hard drives to play around with right now? Or even just raid a couple of loopback-device-mounted files?
Which virtualization software would you use for this? I've been trying to do a similar thing with physical disks in VMWare 1.x and it'll only recognize the first 128 GB of each drive.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

CeciPipePasPipe posted:

Why do you need such huge volumes or physical disks even? If you just want to play around with a RAID solution to get a feeling for how its tools work and how it handles failures, surely a couple of 1GB "drives" would be more than enough.

In fact, before I sat up linux MD raid5 for real for the first time, I dd'ed in 5x10mb files from /dev/zero, attached them to the loopback file device thingies (man losetup) and assembled an array out of those.
I want to switch from a hardware-based FreeBSD network storage and router system to a virtualized Linux network storage and router running on my primary desktop (WinXP) to reduce the number of computers I have running at home.

I may migrate it back to hardware at some point, but I have too many other things to spend money on right now so that's at least 6 months out.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

AngelTK posted:

So if I were to purchase a hardware based RAID controller, what would you recommend, or I guess a better question would be, what site out there has objective reviews of all these hardware based RAID controllers out there?

Another question would be, I have a 5600+ in said system, how much CPU would a motherboard based RAID 5 solution eat up?

I'm really apprehensive at building another box right now for physical room reasons.

RAID 5 doesn't eat up THAT much CPU. I've been running a software RAID 5 on FreeBSD on a P3 700 for years without any major slowness.

The one thing you have to watch out for is that early era Pentium M chips had major problems with RAID 5 calculations causing them to slow to a grind where far lesser chips would sail along without problems. It's a known bug, so you should be able to find out when it was resolved and avoid chips that suffer from that problem.

Obviously you don't want to chew up your CPU on RAID work when you're running a major database or server, but it's more than sufficient for home use even when editing video.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

optik posted:

I am looking at creating a 3-disk RAID5 array with Ubuntu as the host OS, I have found plenty of tutorials on using mdadm to create the RAID array but when it comes to LVM I am having issues, could any of you point me to a tutorial on creating a LVM volume that is expandable in the future.

thanks,

http://www.gagme.com/greg/linux/raid-lvm.php

I had some trouble getting the page to load, but after about 3 tries it worked.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

frogbs posted:

Having just read your cautious, but very sane advice, I think i've shied away from building, or even buying an array/NAS, at least for the time being. I computed the cost per Gigabyte, and right now, its still cheaper for us to burn each program/show to DVD and keep it in an archive room. No one has to worry about maintaining the array, and the only way we'd lose all our data is if something totally catastrophic happens. The only downside is that we have to burn each disc, which takes time, and that archiving each dvd on a shelf takes up much more space than a 3u case.

Damnit...I really wanted to build a NAS too :-(
Burn multiple copies of each, using different media, and store some of them offsite.

DVDs are a highly unreliable media over a 5-10 year period.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

gggiiimmmppp posted:

Yeah, I just talked to my sister and they're getting 2 years of the family plan from us for christmas. :ms:

I'm doing the same but I'm also getting my mom a 1 TB single USB drive she can plug in once a month. She will be using Time Machine but a script would be just as good.

I've seen corporate IT double failures including off-site backups so for my really important stuff I like to have a 3rd option and just keep it as simple as possible.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Would Raid 6 in an N40L give you double-parity AND dynamic expansion if you wanted to start with fewer drives?

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Personal experience...

Having run RAID5 at home for the last 8-10 years I'm pretty comfortable with the limitation of a capped volume size and then building a new system/array in 3-5 years to just copy my data.

Expansion is really only practical for those on an extremely tight budget or anyone building a system with far more room for expansion. In the time it will take to fill a starter volume, it will be nearly impossible to find drives that match the size of today's drives.

I can still (barely) find 200 GB PATA drives for my oldest array but the cost and power consumption make that pointless.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Newegg lists the max memory on those at 8 GB. Can you go higher?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

LmaoTheKid posted:

Unless you're doing dedupe/compression, there's really no reason to have that much ram with ZFS.

I was asking about memory capacity to consolidate 3 systems at home into a single box by running some VMs. I realize the cpu isn't great, but again this is for home use.