Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

moron posted:

SMART email reports

Did you check your email settings under System -> Settings -> Email?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Sombrero! posted:

N40L goons: Anyone know what socket processor the motherboard takes? Reason I ask is that I've got an AM3 Athlon II quad-core sitting around not being used that I'd love to plug in if it's compatible. Should I even bother looking into this or just stick with the crappy (in comparison) Turion?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_S1

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Mantle posted:

I'm having trouble with permissions management on my nas4free box. Is there no way in the GUI to create/manage folders in my zfs datasets?

What I woud like to do is have individual logins for each user in my company, and depending on the group that the user is in, r/w access to various datasets. If the user creates a file in those datasets, the permissions are set to rwx--S--- for that user only, so that other people with access to that dataset cannot access that new file. How can I make it so new files created in a dataset inherit the permissions of the dataset? Right now I have to manually change the group permissions for all directories so all my users can access the directories.

I'm not sure if this is an option in the gui on nas4free, or even still an option in Samba, but there at least used to be a config option per share where you could set default permissions for new files. I think it was called a file mask.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Mantle posted:

This may be more of a general FreeBSD question, but I have a problem with FreeNAS deleting files from my /etc directory on boot.

I have created an rsync task to do a push to a remote server once a night. The remote server requires a user and password to connect, and FreeNAS says I have to create a file with the password in it. I put the password in a file at /etc/rsync_module_backup_password and gave it chmod 600 permissions, owned by root.

Whenever I reboot the FreeNAS system, the /etc/rsync_module_backup_password file is gone.

Why is this? Is there a better place to put the password file?

IIRC FreeNAS copies everything from an image to a ram disk when you boot. Any changes you make by hand to the filesystem on the ram disk will not be saved between reboots.

Looking over their documentation I don't see anything about a user name and password being stored in a file. It should be done with a keypair with no password on the key.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Mantle posted:

From the link:
If the rysnc server requires password authentication, input --password-file=/PATHTO/FILENAME in the "Extra options" box, replacing /PATHTO/FILENAME with the appropriate path to the file containing the value of the password.

Unfortunately the rsync server is an embedded shitnas so it is not flexible enough to do a properly secure rsync setup.

Guess I didn't read very carefully :)

You can try the information in here.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

movax posted:

poo poo yeah. I've got the OG Norco RPC-4020 and it's been solid, both in an actual rack and sitting on some IKEA tables. That's pretty pricey though, I don't remember if it was a massive sale or not, but I paid around...250 I think back in 2009 for it. (:corsair:)

I'm down to 3TB free though, so maybe I'll need to upgrade to a 4224 to fit 4 6-drive vdevs in there, or start resilvering my drives up to 3TV.

You could always add on.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Mantle posted:

setfacl isn't throwing any errors, so I think it's ok to write it the way I have.

I am now 99% of the way to getting this working as intended now with the following commands:
code:
find . -type f -exec setfacl -m owner@:rwpdDaARWcCo::allow,group@:rwpdDaARWcCo::allow,everyone@:rwpdDaARWcCo::deny {} \;
find . -type d -exec setfacl -m owner@:rwxpdDaARWcCo:fd:allow,group@:rwxpdDaARWcCo:fd:allow,everyone@:rwxpdDaARWcCo:fd:deny {} \;
When I am creating new files and directories in the shell and via SFTP, the permissions are being inherited correctly from the parent directory.

BUT... there are still a few conditions where the permissions aren't being set correctly:

1) when I drag and drop a new file/dir in Finder over ssh via MacFusion, the files are being created with 644 and 755 permissions
2) when I drag and drop a file/dir to the share via CIFS in Finder, the files are being created with 644 and 755 permission

When I create the files in the share via Finder or create a file directly in the share via the save function, the permissions are correct! It is only via drag and drop that the permissions aren't working.

Anyone have any idea why that might be?

TL;DR Default file ACL is being set correctly upon file creation, EXCEPT when dragging and dropping. Why?

Does the Samba config have this set as a file mask?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
n40l is on sale for 270 at newegg

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
If you're feeling crazy you can get mellanox, qlogic, or intel infiniband cards on ebay. The obvious problems are operating system support, finding cables, and finding new cards when one of them gives up on you.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I thought the theory was that newegg uses lovely packaging causing a higher rate of dead drives. Nothing like getting a drive wrapped in two layers of bubble wrap stuck in a box full of kraft paper.

A million years ago when I still bought these things in retail packaging at retail stores there were several layers of fancy foam.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Goon Matchmaker posted:

Matrox G200 video? WTF? Matrox is still around? How old is that chip anyways? Why not just use the integrated intel graphics? :psyduck:

Probably part of the ilo hardware.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

McGlockenshire posted:

It works but there is no way to tell it to not use all of the available space on the target disk and there is no way to prune old backups without traversing the filesystem yourself and nuking archive directories by hand. It will therefore use all available disk space and then whine very loudly about how stupid it is.

Backup and Restore -> Manage Space -> View backups

At least it works under Windows 7. Still a pain in the rear end.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

The large bubble stuff isn't even rated for fragile things, just using the smaller bubble stuff would be a huge improvement. Of course if you're going to bother with that you could just get real packaging for the drives.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

bacon! posted:

This is awesome! Thanks!

I had a friend (whose professional specialty is enterprise storage) tell me that I should avoid trying to build a 4+ disk file server with hard drives inside a single case because of heat issues. He strongly recommended I get a basic JDOB eSata or USB3 enclosure instead. Is he paranoid from his enterprise lifestyle? Have any of you storage goons had any experience like that? A raid enclosure adds a couple hundred bucks to the cost of a build.

So instead of an actively cooled case he wants you to buy disks shoved into tiny sealed enclosures?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Sounds like your drives are hosed.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
FreeBSD has zfs-stats to provide information about ARC and L2ARC usage, I don't know what the Nexenta equivalent would be.

Do you have enough RAM to use all that L2ARC? Every entry in L2ARC takes up a small portion of ARC. I can't find it now but I read a Sun developer blog that talked about the issue and some systems that weren't able to use all of their L2ARC or any of their ARC because they were starved for RAM.

edit: maybe some of these scripts will help http://dtrace.org/blogs/brendan/2012/01/09/activity-of-the-zfs-arc/

thebigcow fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 19, 2013

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
keep it racked at work for :filez:

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
You could check the hardware list for whatever version of BSD its based on, but if the interface wasn't designed for wifi it could break all kinds of silly things. Maybe set up a wireless bridge and move the problem to hardware dedicated to it?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

IOwnCalculus posted:

What are you basing this on? I can't say I've tried it myself (the only e350 I have is a net book and I haven't tried booting it with nas4free) but a quick Google seems to show people running both it and FreeNAS on it.

As far as the RAM, gb-per-tb is nice to have but not required by any means as long as you never turn on deduplication. I have 10gb dedicated to my n4f vm which is up to 13tb usable and even then it still had plenty of free memory.

Oh, never turn on deduplication. Ever.

If it uses DDR2 I would be surprised if it supported more than 8 anyway.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

titaniumone posted:

I don't understand the appeal of a lack rack. The entire point of rack mounting is space saving and ease of maintenance due to rails. Every lack rack I've seen just has a device screwed directly into the table legs, making it totally impossible to get at without unscrewing it from the legs.

Is it just some lovely cargo cult thing or am I missing something that makes it better than just putting your device on top of the table?

no, you're right

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Fangs404 posted:

My FreeNAS server (N40L) lives on the same battery backup as my PC. The UPS (CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD) is more than powerful to handle both. The problem is that the UPS only has 1 USB output that I have going to my PC. I need a way to get my N40L to shut down safely whenever there's a power failure. What solution would you guys use? I hardly ever shut down my computer (but I'll restart once every week or two), so creating a task that triggers on shutdown that sends a shutdown command to the N40L seems like the way to go. Have you guys done anything like this?

Have you looked into the pro version of their software? Its free and IIRC does most of this.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

ZFS supports spares just fine, I don't know why Freenas would not support it.

Maybe do it from the command line?

https://blogs.oracle.com/eschrock/entry/zfs_hot_spares

ZFS might but FreeBSD's implementation didn't the last time I was up to date on such things.

If it does you may want to read section 12 of this first

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

YarPirate posted:

It's a dual CPU quad(eight?) core with 4GB of RAM. I would prefer to keep the xserve, since we use them at work, and I'd like to get a better understanding of the hardware.

Roughly how old is this thing?

You *will* hear it through the floor. It is unsuitable for anything but a server room, do not go down this road.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Just ordered a single replacement drive from Newegg, was pleasantly surprised. Apologies for the potato camera.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Megaman posted:

What were you surprised about? It is the air wrap on the top? Or is that more than one drive, looks like only one to me, please don't tell me it's like 4 drives....please

Its a single drive in an air bubble sleeve that was obviously designed for this purpose placed in an appropriate sized box. My last hard drive purchase they wrapped in economy bubble wrap and packing tape, then threw in the bottom of a giant box with some wadded up kraft paper to fill the void.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

GokieKS posted:

So, ordered the Norco RPC-4020. Was actually leaning towards the 4220, but Newegg via eBay has the 4020 with free shipping (but not on the 4220 or on either when ordered from their website), which saves me another ~$20 in addition to the $20 cost difference and savings from not having to buy SAS reverse breakout cables - total cost came to be about $90 cheaper compared to the 4220, which is worth the slight increase in annoyance when it comes to cable management.

Also ordered the 3 x 120mm fan bracket (also off ebay, because Norco's web store charges $15 to ship the $11 part), so now I need to figure out what fans to use. Being in a 1 bedroom apartment, I'm going to have to keep the thing in my living room, so I'd like to keep it somewhat quiet. Normally my go-to fans at 120mm are the Corsair SP120 Quiet Editions which I use two of in my FT03 Mini, but I'm not sure that's going to provide enough airflow. I haven't used them personally, but the SP120 High Performance Edition seem to be well received (it was the winner of Xbit Labs' 120mm fan roundup for faster RPM fans). Anyone have any experience with using 120mm fans in a Norco RPC-4020/4220/4224 (preferably loaded with drives)? I do expect to eventually actually use all 20 drive bays, so would want something that will be able to handle that.

Put whatever fan you want in there, you probably won't hear it over 20 hard drives. The synchronized click of ZFS writing out a stripe will be like the beating of the Telltale Heart.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

GokieKS posted:

There's just no other place that I can put it when taking into consideration size, power outlet location, and network cabling. And really, noise from the drives shouldn't be that bad - I'm going to be the only one using it and most of the time they'll just be idling. My current file server is an old Phenom II X3 in an even older CoolerMaster WaveMaster case running 7 HDDs, and the fan noise definitely is a much bigger factor than hard drive noise.

So, still looking for fan recommendations if anyone has any!

Re-evaluate why you want this thing. Don't be that guy.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
"That Guy" that buys giant enterprise things to keep in his tiny apartment and regrets the noise and later regrets ever spending money on it. I'm not even going to ask what you need 12+ presumably 4TB drives of storage for.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I like my Scythe Gentle Typhoons but it may be insufficient airflow for you.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Bonobos posted:

Anyone that has a HP N40L have access to the latest up to date BIOS / drivers (if any are required for FREENAS)?

I just picked up a spare and this one is apparently out of warranty and apparently any access to download drivers / BIOS updates from HP now requires a service contract/registration. What the heck were HP thinking?

um, the lady from hp made a blog post explaining that this is actually normal for the industry and........yeah

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

the_lion posted:

So baby's first Synology DS214se arrived.

I'm using a mac, chucking 2x4TB WD reds in it. I've read a little bit, but is there a good do/don't list for using a NAS?

Mainly, it's just to protect my important family photos etc.

If the only copy is on the NAS you haven't protected anything.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Ask in the enterprise storage thread.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

QPZIL posted:

Welp, found a good deal on an N54L so it's being delivered tomorrow.

My first thought was to install ESXi on it so that I could run XPEnology on one VM for my storage needs, and then have another VM for a download server. But... would it make more sense to just install Ubuntu Server or something and use ZFS and share via CIFS or something, instead of having a dedicated NAS OS?

What does your "download server" do that xpenology can't do on its own?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

DrDork posted:

I recently picked up a M1015 and am trying to find a SFF-8087 to SATA cable that has 90-degree SATA connections (my HDDs get pretty close to the case edge). Anyone know of any that aren't made by some no-name Chinese company?

The no-name Chinese companies run the factories that make the brand name cables.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Isn't the (admittedly enterprise-based) rule of thumb for ZFS to target no more than 80-90% utilization?

Copy on write file systems need room to do their magic.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
You don't even "need" that for ZFS, I think that was the rule of thumb for deduplication. More is always better though.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Market segmentation. I assume if you run a normal red in a case with a bunch of drives and mention it during the warranty claim they'll just say no.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

FISHMANPET posted:

Ugh. Got a 3TB Red to replace a failed 1.5TB Seagate drive. The old drive had 512b sectors, the new drive has 4k sectors. I can't do a zpool replace:
code:
cannot replace c0t5000C5003CCFE522d0 with c0t50014EE0AE79A5E3d0: devices have different sector alignment
This is currently running Solaris 11 Express (I know, I know, I'm planning on reinstalling with 14.04 and using ZFS on Linux "soon") does anybody know of a way I can trick the system to make this work?

Do they still have the thing where you can set a jumper on the drive to have it present itself as a 512b sector drive?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Does that 140 number include monitors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

fletcher posted:

Ah! That makes more sense. Learned something useful in the process now too.

But it still didn't work :(

code:
       ---- Begin output of mount -t nfs -o auto 192.168.1.3:/mnt/my_stuff /storage/my_stuff ----
       STDOUT:
       STDERR: mount.nfs: access denied by server while mounting 192.168.1.3:/mnt/my_stuff
       ---- End output of mount -t nfs -o auto 192.168.1.3:/mnt/my_stuff /storage/my_stuff ----

Have you checked the permissions on the directory you are sharing or the logs on the nfs server?