Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

In my home server I'm currently running 3x2TB JBOD + 500GB OS disk. I have been wanting some RAID action, but I also don't want to lose all the data on my big rear end storage volume. Will setting up either hardware or software RAID destroy that data? (I will probably get another 2TB drive and do raid5)

Does a good hardware RAID card exist that's less than like... $300? Or should I just go software raid instead?

Sorry for the :downs: questions, I suck at storage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Longinus00 posted:

It is very much possible to do a degraded raid5 as a stopgap measure. What you would do is a degraded 2 disk raid5 and then rebuild the 3 drive setup. After that rebuild then you'll expand the raid to 4 disks with another rebuild (you're never in a 3 disk degraded mode). The really scary step is pulling a disk out of that JBOD as I'm not sure that is safe. I suppose it really depends on how it's setup.

The advantage of softraid over HW raid is that if your computer dies you can just plug your hds into another computer and get up and running again without have to worry about your controller.
Good info, thank you.

My 6TB JBOD is setup as a single volume, only like 1.2TB is actually used, so I should be able to resize the volume and yank one of the extra disks out.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Sizzlechest posted:

Getting back to my original question, I need an external single drive or enclosure that can support USB and Ethernet simultaneously and can be formatted NTFS.

Any ideas?
Try this but read the reviews: http://www.amazon.com/Ximeta-ENCL-1P-Ethernet-Drive-Enclosure/dp/B000E1D36S

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Sizzlechest posted:

That's not even SATA.
Wow I did not even notice that :blush:

Told you I suck at storage...

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, if you only have <2TB data, copy that off of the JBOD array altogether to the new 2TB drive. Once that's done, break the JBOD and create a proper (non-degraded) 3-drive RAID5 from that, let it finish syncing across all of the drives, and copy the data into it. Add the single drive to the array and grow it to four. Done, and a lot less risky.
Sweet, this is what I shall do. Thank you storage gurus!

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Apologies if this is the wrong thread, but I'm looking for a NAS for my parents. I've been considering the Seagate Central devices because they're cheap, small, and focused on ease of use. Has anyone tried one of these things before? The main complaint seems to be iffy software and slow transfer speeds.

Alternatively, can anyone recommend a decent cheap NAS that old people will be able to use?

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

The stupidest storage thing I've ever seen :downs:

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

In which the creator defends his creation

indeed

edit: those are apparently used 2.5" consumer laptop doodie poopy drives

My Rhythmic Crotch fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

I posted something similar to this months ago, but why do people keep doing bad and stupid things like this? Goddamn

e: The original is way worse

My Rhythmic Crotch fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 9, 2015