Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

So I've got an HP Microserver N40L with WHS2011. I sort of realized that I don't have the server itself backed up, though. It seems like I can only do that on an external drive, and doing so wipes the drive? Is there a recommended thing to use for that, should I just get a big flash drive and plug it in regularly?
The server is on a 60GB partition on a 250GB drive, if that helps any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

ElegantFugue posted:

So I've got an HP Microserver N40L with WHS2011. I sort of realized that I don't have the server itself backed up, though. It seems like I can only do that on an external drive, and doing so wipes the drive? Is there a recommended thing to use for that, should I just get a big flash drive and plug it in regularly?
The server is on a 60GB partition on a 250GB drive, if that helps any.

So I tried to do this with a USB flash drive and it wasn't even offered as an option for backups. I'm guessing I need to use something else, then?

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

I have a 3TB Seagate Deathstar that's throwing up Reallocated Sector SMART warnings. Is there any new hotness in drives I should be looking for/avoiding, or should I just find a nice drive on sale and toss it in?