Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
For the past few years I've just been using your typical external hard drives to store all of my movies and music on, but I've recently begun looking at getting a NAS to share everything across my flat.

I don't have any grand requirements for capacity - 2 or 4 TB would probably be more than enough - and I don't need anything too meaty or expensive either. I've been looking primarily at the WD My Cloud line, but I'm not sure if that'll suit my requirements.

I currently have a TV with a PS4 and a Chromecast hooked up to it. I'm also using Plex to stream movies stored on my laptop to my PS4. I'd like to be able to play whatever videos I have stored on whatever device I get easily on my laptop and on my TV, and play music across both as well. If I'm able to download (not stream) music to my Android phone that would be an added bonus.

Does anybody have any suggestions or what to get, or how to get this set up? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The Mycloud runs Plex natively, so you can stream to whatever you want. It also gives you full access to the file system, both from your OS and through your browser, so it's trivial to copy files up and down.

Awesome, thanks! That makes things significantly easier.