Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

ufarn posted:

When a Synology is listed as nominally supporting 1080p transcoding, is it 1080 period, or only for some mediocre bitrate? I wouldn't be surprised it it turned out it couldn't do half my videos with decent results.

Some of the synologys have hardware transcoding for the built in applications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
The hardware transcoding does not work with plex and poo poo as far as i know.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

AlternateAccount posted:

I am using xpenology (4.3? I think) on an HP Microserver from a few years ago with 4 bays and two half height expansion slots. Is there a particular 10Gb SFP+ card I should put in there to be sure it will work with xpenology?

http://xpenology.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2

You will have better luck here.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you can afford it you should definitely do SHR2. especially if you are rolling your own xpenology since its basically just the cost of the disk.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Touchfuzzy posted:

Okay, so I took a look at some DIY NAS solutions, and I'm kinda liking the whole unRaid getup. For simply being a separate storage computer, the system requirements are pretty small, and the ability to just pop extra drives as I need them or upgrading drives to higher capacities in the future without much hassle sounds super nice -- much nicer than storing crap on disks in boxes or filling my actual workstation with more and more drives.

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($109.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock C226WS ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($183.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Mushkin Proline 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: PNY CS2211 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Red 5TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($194.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Red 5TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($194.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($115.36 @ Amazon)
Other: unRaid USB Key + Plus Registration ($110.00)
Total: $1254.29

Looking at it a second time, it looks like a giant chunk of change, but I expect to use this for a long time. The motherboard supports ECC/Unbuffered memory, and has 10 SATA ports. I don't plan on going over that, so I'll be reusing an old Fractal Design case that has very nearly that many hard drive bays. I picked the power supply because it's got exactly 10 SATA power cords and has a 10 year warranty, as well as a strong single rail, which I read is preferred for these kinds of things.

The only things I'm a bit iffy about are the CPU and SSD. unRaid mentions something about using a dedicated drive for caching, and that it will improve speeds. I'm all for faster speeds as long as they're tangible, but if they're not, I don't feel bad removing it. Also, the CPU is basically the weakest thing I could find (since I don't play on using many, if any, modules), aside from looking at AMD offerings, and I haven't bought AMD in a long time so I don't know any equivalent offerings.

To anyone who's built their own, does it look okay?

PSU is pretty silly but will work fine.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Well yea, room to expand but my 5 drive nas with an i3 pulls all of 90w under load from the wall on a 450bronze psu.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Furism posted:

I have an older Synology 4 slots NAS that's been acting up recently. It takes about 20-30 presses on the power button to turn it on and I don't take this as a good sign. It's 4 or 5 years old so not under warranty anymore. I was thinking to replace it before something more important breaks (like the CF card or whatever they store the OS on - happened to me in the past, on a Synology as well).

I was thinking to get something with a x86 processor because, as far as I know, soft RAIDs are faster with those than ARM? I don't need any fancy feature (web UI, Bittorent, DLNA, ...), just SSH (for rsync) and CIFS/NFS. Is there any brand or model that's basically "simple but sturdy" ?

Alternatively I could go for a DIY solution but those seemed quite expensive. I need 4 x3.5" slots and 1x2.5 (for the OS, but I guess I could boot from a USB drive... not sure how reliable those would be in the long term though) if possible on a very small motherboard and case, and very low power consumption as well. Mini-ITX motherboards are incredibly expensive apparently. Note that I live in Europe so Neweggs and websites like that don't work.

So what would be the best solution for my problem?

You can do xpenology and migrate your array over.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Head parking can be disabled on the greens btw.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

You can do an extended smart test inside synology.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Yes, if the head is having problems it should be creating bad sectors which will be detected.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

AlternateAccount posted:

XPenology has a Plex plugin that appears to work like a champ for me.

Yep. Plex works great on xpenology. Just make sure jumbo frames are turned off.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

As long as you dont need plex transcoding its a great unit. Tons of power.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Shaocaholica posted:

I never got into real time transcoding. I've always streamed the native files for any media. Is the whole point to be able to watch stuff on a device that does not support the native format? Seems like that's easily solved by getting a new playback device than trying to get your nas or file share system to transcode it in realtime.

Yes. Its for devices that do not support the native format. Like maybe phones, or tivos, or rokus.

It can also be used though for streaming over cellular connections where bandwidth may be limited.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Office Depot has 3tb reds for $79.99

884738 is sku

http://slickdeals.net/?lno=1&trd=ht...ory_checker.php

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Use xpenology.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

12 drives in a raid 0?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

People use raid 0 even less now than they did when they never used it. SSD's are just that good.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

More reliable? What year is this?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

I'm running 4 reds and 2 greens with head parking turned off and all have been flawless.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Does freenas10 support volume expansion like synology?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Synology supports amazon cloud drive now for backup. Good alternative to crashplan i think and no futzing around with hacks.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

DizzyBum posted:

I'm dragging my heels on building a home NAS. I just want to get something done already because my desktop is nearly out of room and the newest drive I own is almost 5 years old. Where can I find some recommended build ideas?

I live less than a mile from a Micro Center and I figure I can snag some of the OEM drives they have in stock. I just want something that's simple bulk storage and relatively low-power.

I also have no idea what sort of RAID to plan to use because I feel like everyone has something bad to say about every RAID level. I was hoping for something that allows for easy storage expansion for whenever I'm able to pick up a new drive here and there.

Use xpenology then

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Boxman posted:

I just ordered a Synology 216j and a couple WD reds to back up my home mac. I'd like to back this up online as well just in case, I dunno, a fire wipes out my building. Is there a goon consensus "best online drive" for this sort of thing?

I was going to go with Amazon Drive because of the good price:storage ratio and the fact that Synology's software can interface with it no muss no fuss, but I noticed that it won't back up any single file larger than 10GB. I plan on backing up a Photos library and a Time Machine backup. To a mac, they show up as single packages that would exceed that 10 GB limit, but I have no idea if that's how they'd appear to a non OS X machine.

If the Synology software could automatically back it up with a bare minimum of fuss on my end that'd be great. I'm an idiot when it comes to Linux things.

Synology just added amazon drive support to hyper backup. It is in beta and apparently fails on large sets so people are adding a folder, waiting for it to finish, adding another, then it can do delta just fine.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Chuu posted:

I'm looking to add 5 SATA ports to my windows box for a Storage Space, and looking for a SATA card. 5 is a frustrating number though, since almost all the consumer level cards are either 4-port cards, or 8-port cards with 4 channels and a port multiplier hanging off each one.

Reading the spec sheet for the Marvell 88SE9705 (pdf), it looks like the chip actually does support 5 channels; but for some reason as far as I can tell noone sells this.

Is there a real 5-port controller card out there in the $80 range I should be looking at? Or do the FreeNAS warnings about using port multipliers with SATA drives not apply to Microsoft's Storage Spaces implementation?

Just go on ebay and grab a megaraid 8 port card and some SFF8087 cables

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_sop=15&_nkw=9240-8i&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=1&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

There is a $55 ibm branded one on there and you just need a $10 backplate bracket and cables.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

As long as you password protect the synology and keep it updated (which it can do on its own) I really wouldn't worry about ransomware. You can create accounts and only give read access to specific data, it can even make shadow copies internally in case something happens not to mention back up to the cloud.

Why do you want it off your network?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

BoyBlunder posted:

So my Synology DS-214 is starting to age a bit, and I'm looking to expand past its storage capabilities.

Is there a FreeNAS for Dummies somewhere that I can use as a guide for speccing out a new system?

If its not running 6.x yet (and maybe even if it is) you could build an xpenology box and migrate your drives over.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Ill stop using xpenology when a freenas or something has something like SHR

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

suddenlyissoon posted:

I braved the xpenology forums yesterday and it seems they finally have these DSM 6.0 source code. Maybe we will get a release before Synology moves to 7.0.

I'm still on 5.0, never updated to 5.2 cause little need too.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

You could also just double stick the brick to the Nas.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

apropos man posted:

What's the consensus of using 2.5" drives for casual storage vs 3.5"? They're gonna run quieter and more economical, but are they as reliable? I'm talking for home file storage and serving up movies.

More economical? 3.5" drives are cheaper per gb and should run cooler.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Krailor posted:

Silverstone just released an ATX version of their NAS case, the CS380. This gives you 8 hotswap drive cages.

The 2 5 1/4s look like such a waste. WTF are they even there for.

They should have given it like 12 swaps

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Yea i already use a DS380, just seems silly they didn't either do like 12 external 3 1/4" bays or do 3 5 1/4" bays you can put a drive mount into.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you want to improve the room cooling then get the ac working properly or a portable AC. Your server is probably putting off the heat of a 100w lightbulb, maybe two at full load. Regular ventilation should be plenty.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

It could have a switch that detects when the side of the case is off and ramps up fans accordingly, and the switch is faulty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

fletcher posted:

I want to get my sister a DS916+ 8GB with 4x 8TB Seagate NAS drives (ST8000VN0002) for christmas and run it in RAID6. She's a pro photographer and currently uses a plethora of random external drives for storage. She also uses a mac, I assume the Synology plays nice with it?

One thing I'm wondering is how to go about setting it up, is it easy enough for me to walk her through it over video chat? The other option is to have it shipped to me and I set it up and she takes it home with her on the plane. Sounds like a pain though, it's gonna be heavy as poo poo.

As long as she can physically assemble it and plug it in you can set it up over teamviewer.

And yes, works great with macs, even has time capsule emulation so she can do time machine backups to it.