Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Katty!
Aug 26, 2015

Chillin'

Oops, I killed a drive earlier. No great loss - it was only a 320GB Hitachi drive from 2011, and I only used it for storing music and videos. Basically, noticed that there were a few old temp files that VLC was picking up on, and that I couldn't delete or, in fact, see, so I decided to format the drive. Backed up everything to another drive, the format went smoothly, and I copied everything back over. When I rebooted, however, the drive started making noises, and the task manager was showing it at 100% utilisation, even though I could see that nothing was writing to it. Decided to reboot another time for good measure, and when that failed to do anything, unplugged the drive and tried another port. At this point it stopped working completely.

I'm not too annoyed because it was a really old drive and it was probably going to die soon anyway, but it's still a bit of a shame

Here's a bonus of the abhorrent noises the drive was making in its death throes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REYhzs9r8f8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU