Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

plastickiwi
Dec 19, 2001

Tickled purple
I doubt this will be of any use to you, but steer clear of the LaCie Ethernet Disk Mini if you're looking for a small desktop NAS.

On paper, the EDMini looks like a good deal. It's reasonably inexpensive, comes in a cool aluminum case, features gigabit Ethernet and USB connectivity, and runs on an embedded Linux. It supports pretty much every standard around, including SMB, AFS, Bonjour, FTP, HTTP, UPnP, etc., and can even share additional drives connected by USB. It streams media with a built-in Twonky server which works handsomely with my PS3 and other front ends.

Unfortunately, the loving thing disappears from the network at the drop of a hat and requires a hard reset before it comes skulking back. It will often show up as a UPnP media server in Windows without also appearing as a standard file server, and remains inaccessible as the latter until (you guessed it) a hard reset. Sometimes it remembers its manners after being reset from the web administration page, while at others it stops responding to web requests altogether, apparently from pure spite.

Checking the Internet reveals that some people have these problems and some don't. Some can fix them with a firmware update while some can't. No one seems to be able to distinguish the reason for this.

I love the cheap little bastard when it's working 90% of the time and want to strangle someone at LaCie the other 10%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU