Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Does an LSI 9240-8i have an on board chip that handling the RAID calculations or is that off-loaded to the CPU? I'm trying to toss this into a ESXi box to fix my mess of attaching my HDDs directly to board with no RAID capabilities.

Secondly would the LSI 9240 handle it if I hang 4 x 2TB 6.0 GB/s off one mini-SAS and 4 x 1TB 3.0 GB/s off the other? Would there be any issues?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Hok posted:

Cheapest option is to get onto ebay and pick up a Dell Perc6i card, there's heaps for between $100-$150, then just get a couple of SFF-8484 to 4 x SATA Cables.

Note, there's probably equivalents from HP and other vendors, but I know the Dell one's pretty well so thats what I recommend.

My HP PE400 (or whatever) only works on HP hardware It sucks :( been sitting in my closet for over a year since I can;t use it. The PERCs work on non-dell Hardware IIRC.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Looking to purchase a SAS external enclosure for when I need to read from web servers.

Long and short of it is two or three times a year I need to examine different raid arrays of SAS drives pulled from our colo'd servers. Will something like thiscoupled with a PERC 6E / H800 work? Anything better?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Are the arrays that you're examining only comprised of 4 drives?

Yes 3 or 4 drive arrays.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

For raidz under nas4free or freenas or whatever is it just format drives as zfs, add them to a pool them, then build RAID? Or am I missing something like a checksum drive or the like?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

No, just stick them in, create a ZFS featuring all drives with Raid-Z and you're good to go. It's really user friendly.

Is the 1GB of RAM per TB in a RAIDZ advice still hold true? I'm looking to build a new system and debating 8 or 16GB of RAM.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

titaniumone posted:

Get 16. Even in FreeBSD 9.0, ZFS still loves to eat a shitload of memory. My system was kernel panicing every 30 days or so until I limited the arc.
code:
vfs.zfs.prefetch_disable=0
vfs.zfs.arc_min="1024M"
vfs.zfs.arc_max="4G"
vm.kmem_size_max="16G"
vm.kmem_size="12G"
No noticeable performance difference.

Where do I learn more about this wizardry?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

I'm getting only ~15-20 MB/s transfer from NAS to client on a wired gigabit network. NAS is a NAS4Free with 8 x 3TB WD Red drives in a RAIDZ2 and a total size ~15TB. Drives are connected via SATA to an ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP Mainboard. Network is off an Intel Pro 1000/GT PCI NIC.

In order to increase performance am I better off looking at my networking setup or looking to move the drives off the SATA connectors and onto a dedicated RAID card?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

The test client machine is a win 7 dell laptop three spinning disks and 1 SSD.

Other machines are a mix of dell and apple laptops, but they're mostly wireless so speed is less of a concern there.

Route is NAS -> Netgear R7000 (running TomatoUSB) -> Cisco 8 port SOHO switch -> Laptop.

My configuration is 8 x 3TB WD Red drives in a RAIDZ2 connected via SATA. There is no caching drive.

NAS4Free is serving up the share via AFP, CIFS/SMB2, and NFS. Dell is obviously going via CIFS/SMB2.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

DrDork posted:

I have a similar setup to you, and am able to easily get 80-100MB/s. Sounds like a settings issue to me. Things that I found that helped out speed for me were using SMB2 for CIFS with a gently caress-off sized buffer (8MB worked well for me, YMMV), and then disabling "Enable tuning of some kernel variables" under System. Not sure how much RAM you have, but you can try seeing if enabling/disabling prefetch makes much of a difference.

Also remember that some operations are just slow. If you're pushing over 1GB worth of 25Kb JPEGs, that's gonna transfer a lot slower than a single 1GB avi or something.

Turns out this was a layer 1 problem, my w7 laptop was connecting over wifi because I didn't plug in the ethernet cable into the switch after moving to the docking station. But I made the 8MB buffer change as well and things seem to be running swell. Thanks!

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

let me preface by saying I did a dumb thing and I know I did a dumb thing but I can't seem to fix it.

Running Nas4Free 9.3.0.2 with a 8 x 3TB RAIDZ3 - effective size ~12 TB my motherboard has 4x SATA3 and 4x SATA2 ports, all drives plugged right into the motherboard.

One of my drives failed, got a replacement, slapped it in Without running zpool offline Tank /dev/ada0 first

I insert new drive and run zpool replace Tank /dev/ada0 /dev/ada0

I get this:

code:
 zpool status Tank
  pool: Tank
 state: DEGRADED
  scan: scrub in progress since Thu Aug 20 17:27:48 2015
        840G scanned out of 8.01T at 413M/s, 5h4m to go
        0 repaired, 10.23% done
config:

NAME                       STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        Tank                       DEGRADED     0     0     0
          raidz3-0                 DEGRADED     0     0     0
            ada1.nop               ONLINE       0     0     0
            replacing-1            UNAVAIL      0     0     0
              6253135662887864640  REMOVED      0     0     0  was /dev/ada0.nop/old
              6200611590817905052  REMOVED      0     0     0  was /dev/ada0.nop
            ada2.nop               ONLINE       0     0     0
            ada3.nop               ONLINE       0     0     0
            ada4.nop               ONLINE       0     0     0
            ada5.nop               ONLINE       0     0     0
            ada6.nop               ONLINE       0     0     0
            ada7.nop               ONLINE       0     0     0
scrubs have been running every few hours for ~ 5 hours at a go and I can't seem to remove /dev/ada0.nop/old or /dev/ada0.nop

Are my only options to live with a degraded RIADZ3 or rebuild from scratch and lose the data?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

theperminator posted:

I don't think this is an issue

From: http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19253-01/819-5461/gazgm/index.html

Your replacement showing as "Removed" might be another failure, or the port/cable are faulty.

:Edit: yeah I just tested this in a vm:
code:
root@freebsd:~ # zpool create Tank raidz3 /dev/da{1,2,3,4,5}
root@freebsd:~ # zpool status
 state: ONLINE
  scan: none requested
config:

NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        Tank        ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz3-0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            da1     ONLINE       0     0     0
            da2     ONLINE       0     0     0
            da3     ONLINE       0     0     0
            da4     ONLINE       0     0     0
            da5     ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors
I removed the disk for da5 at this point
code:
 state: DEGRADED
status: One or more devices has been removed by the administrator.
        Sufficient replicas exist for the pool to continue functioning in a
        degraded state.
action: Online the device using 'zpool online' or replace the device with
        'zpool replace'.
  scan: none requested
config:

NAME                     STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        Tank                     DEGRADED     0     0     0
          raidz3-0               DEGRADED     0     0     0
            da1                  ONLINE       0     0     0
            da2                  ONLINE       0     0     0
            da3                  ONLINE       0     0     0
            da4                  ONLINE       0     0     0
            8818310464530815106  REMOVED      0     0     0  was /dev/da5

I inserted a new disk for da5 at this point
code:
root@freebsd:~ # zpool replace Tank 8818310464530815106 /dev/da5
 state: ONLINE
  scan: resilvered 69.5K in 0h0m with 0 errors on Sat Aug 22 19:53:05 2015
config:

NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        Tank        ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz3-0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            da1     ONLINE       0     0     0
            da2     ONLINE       0     0     0
            da3     ONLINE       0     0     0
            da4     ONLINE       0     0     0
            da5     ONLINE       0     0     0

Check your cables etc.

Thank you for all of this, long story short it was a bad drive and a bad port. Using an LSI 2008IT HBA and reslivering now. Fingers crossed.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

So I’m debating moving from a HPE Microserver Gen 10 to a refurbished rack mount sever like a Dl380 g9 or 730xd. I’m looking at 12 drives for the storage and 2 or 3 rear mounted drives for OS disks.

Currently the micro server is running Ubuntu with a ZFS pool. But the new server is going to be using a built in raid card, and ZFS hates not having direct access to the drives.

So as I understand if I can run the built in cards in HBA mode. But the TrueNAS folk seem against that idea.

I can buy a third party LSI HBA card running in IT mode. It seems like I’d need a card or cards with 4 SAS connectors to meet the needs of the front back pane. I’d also need to figure out the OS drives - can I run them in a RAID 1 or whatever off the built in card while the front backplane is on LSI?

Or I abandon ZFS for a file system less interested in the RAID hardware. BUT I’ve been using ZFS for 10ish years across various NAS solutions so moving to say BTRFS is kind of scary. Also I’d rather something like a TrueNAS with a nice GUI for sharing vs samba config files and whatnot.

Am I missing anything? What would you do?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

power crystals posted:

For what it's worth, when I tried both unraid and truenas (scale, specifically) I thought truenas was more intuitive to me because unraid felt too much like it was trying to save me from myself. It's not like truenas has needed me to touch it much since I set it up either and it's been well worth the free.

My only issue with TrueNAS is they expect you to do things a very specific way. You want screen? Learn tmux instead, it’s already there and does what you want. Want to carve out space on your boot array to host docker containers? Not a good idea so not even offered as an option out of the box.

I nuked my TrueNAS install for a basic Ubuntu + cockpit + portainer solution, but I’m growing weary of stuff requiring more care and feeding then I want to give it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Paul MaudDib posted:

speaking of which what do people think about the HPE microservers? anything better around in that price range, say $500-1k with 4 bays? any of the QNAP ryzen models worthwhile at all?

does anyone have any major complaints about the X470D4U base model?

also, does the Intel I226-v work yet or is intel 2.5gbe just forever cursed? there are some decent deals on 6x2.5gbe firewall appliances with 1165G7 but they all use the intel shitsets lol. maybe it'd be better to get something with a pcie slot and just put it in a velka case or something with an actual NIC card

I had a micro server gen10 (not plus) running as my primary home server for 5ish years. It was great. The newer gen10+ models can have iLO which was one of those things that pushed me towards a rack mount DL380 g9.