Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Just got a DNS-323 and 1TB drive. I plan on using it for torrents and general stuff. Hopefully this all works out so it'll be one less noisy, power-draining computer on all the time.

EDIT: Wow. The 1.05 beta firmware has BT built in. That was easy.

HPL fucked around with this message at 01:13 on May 13, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Argh. What directory do I install Clutch in on the DNS-323? Web documentation isn't proving to be very helpful.

EDIT: Well, here's a guide. We'll see how helpful it is:
http://www.shadowandy.net/_html/archives/2008/03/setting_up_clutch_for_transmis.html

EDIT 2: Oh god I hope that whoever made up this Transmission and Clutch thing dies in a vast lake of fire. Not the person that wrote the web page, at least he tried, but the software authors.

HPL fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 13, 2008

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Migishu posted:

Just installed 1.05 for DNS-323, nice that it has bittorrent now, but still unable to connect to Xbox 360 :(

I think you need to install Twonky for that. The bad part is that it's a pay program. The good part is that it's very easy to install.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
ncix.com has the DNS-323 on sale for $145.99 this week. You really can't go wrong at that price.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

kri kri posted:

I would like however to go a little greener (as my new company has me thinking about these things) and I am weighing the decision to either get new 'greener' parts and switch to Unraid, or should I get some d-link dns-323s. I usually have my desktop running, so I could still run the apps I want and just have the network storage.

Thoughts?

The DNS-323 is cheap, quiet, works fairly well and is quite hackable if you're so inclined. 1TB hard drives are starting to get reasonable in price, so it's not a stretch to get a DNS-323 and a couple of 1TB drives. D-Link seems to be responsive to the community and has a representative posting on the hack forum providing support and gathering feedback.

Wiki: http://wiki.dns323.info/
Forum: http://forum.dsmg600.info/

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Migishu posted:

I'm not sure if the JBOD feature will allow you to do that or not unfortunately.

I'm pretty sure it does because I recall doing the setup wizard, seeing the JBOD option and description and thinking "Nah, I don't want that".

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

kri kri posted:

How is yours set up now? I would like to have 1 logical drive rather then multiple if I could get away with it.

I like to have it where the drives are setup up on their own. Not a huge fan of spanning and striping.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
From the DNS-323 wiki forums: To access the 1.05 BT screen, go to:

http://x.x.x.x/web/bt/fe01.html

Lord knows why it doesn't require a password or anything, and the screen is far better than the default D-Link one which is one of the least screen space-efficient things I've seen.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Good lord, that thing must start glowing from all the heat when all the hard drives are going at once.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Good lord, the DNS-323 is down to $140 this week at NCIX.com. They've got a bunch of specials on 1TB drives too.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

AlienAardvark posted:

I would definitely recommend WHS to anyone having spare PC parts laying around and a small Windows PC home network in need of some organization. With the cheapest price I've seen for a copy being $139.99 at ZipZoomFly, it's definitely a little costly.

You could buy a DNS-323 for that price. While the DNS-323 isn't all things to all people, if you want something easy to set up and run, I recommend it.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

AlienAardvark posted:

It doesn't sound too bad after reading some reviews, but some users report RAID 1 being problematic and FAT32 and NTFS are not supported. This means you'd have to format any drives you install in it to Ext2. What I'm interested in finding out is what its Samba performance is when a Windows client copies to and from the D-Link device.

I'm running one that's serving one Ubuntu computer and two Windows computers, one of them over wifi. Works fairly seamlessly. As for performance, I couldn't honestly say because I'm running it on a 100mbit network so it's not running as fast as it could be. I've got one 1TB disk in it, running in JBOD mode. I'm planning on getting another 1TB disk soon.

Like I said, it's not all things to all people but if you want something cheap and simple that can do a few extra tricks like BT, scheduled FTP and what not while running quietly (though not silently) and without sucking too much power and taking up too much space, it's hard to beat.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

sl0hburn posted:

It seems there should be a way to directly transfer data within the box and I am just not seeing it. Any help?

Have you tried doing it through Samba instead of FTP? When I move files between directories that way, it does it on-device.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

sl0hburn posted:

Alright, new question. New firmware for the DNS 323 that supports bittorrent. Anyone experimented with this yet?

Yeah. It's very basic. But on the other hand, it's easy to install since it's all in with the 1.05 firmware as opposed to installing another BT client which can be infuriating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Oh, and if you have a DNS-323 with one drive and are thinking of upgrading to two, make sure to take your old drive out before putting in the new one and formatting it. My stupid DNS-323 formatted my old 1TB drive. Data gone. Poof. Thanks for the notice.