Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

univbee posted:

I had a really annoying Windows Home Server not-booting-and-not-telling-me-why situation, and even booting from the Vista DVD or Home Server DVD never got me anywhere. Turns out one of my hard drives was royally hosed and not responding properly to I/O commands. Just putting this out there in case anyone else runs into the same sort of problem. And sorry Sasquatch for not noticing this thread earlier :doh:

I was going to reply to that thread but I had the same type of situation. Turns out WHS uses your boot hard drive almost constantly and can kill drives if they are already going south. I had the exact same thing happen to a 500GB WD drive only a week after building my WHS box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Combat Pretzel posted:

Holy poo poo, I can't believe I finally figured out what that goddamn annoying idle seek grinding was causing.

gently caress you SMART Offline Data Collection!

If you ever find yourself with a WD Green (and I guess other manufacturer) and notice it uniformly seeking like poo poo while idle, install smartmontools and disable it by running smartctl -o off /dev/yourdisk (yeah, it uses Linux notation in Windows...)

Hey thanks, im going to try this because the GP 1.5TB i have is slow as snails.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Listerine posted:

Okay good, it seemed like the easiest thing for me to do, just didn't know if it was a poorly implemented feature that I should avoid. Thanks for the response.

No, no no. Storage Spaces is loving horrible. Don't even bother. It works until you need to change anything and then good loving luck.

Try Stablebit Drive Pool. It totally rocks and doesn't use any funky file system stuff. Plain ol NTFS.

https://stablebit.com/

I don't understand why Microsoft cannot make software like this.
Look at this discussion from Windows 10 storage spaces: http://stebet.net/microsoft-finally-adds-rebalancing-to-storage-spaces/
They can't even get re-balancing right without diving into powershell commands.. and even that doesn't work for some people apparently. Pathetic.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 3, 2015

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
seagate + 8TB scares the poo poo out of me.. good luck fellas!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
This is from this year: https://www.backblaze.com/blog/best-hard-drive/

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1.5TB 31.68% failure rate
Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 3TB 26.65% failure rate

Those are by far the worst.

Just get HGST!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Don Lapre posted:

Those were shucked drives right?

At this point they shouldn't be but I don't know.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

IOwnCalculus posted:

FYI, Newegg has the 3TB Red for $100 after applying ESCKKAR23.

That drive has really bad reviews. Lots of drives dieing. Great price but ugh.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

insularis posted:

Well, I had ZFS save my rear end for the first major time at home. I have a 17mo old toddler, and set the keyboard down for just a few seconds. The window that had focus was our media center machine's access to ZFS media share. He deleted the entire TV folder (3TB, about 12000 files). I didn't even get mildly irritated. I just logged into FreeNAS, reverted to the daily snapshot for that folder, and went on with my day. Glorious.

Thats awesome and makes me want to try ZFS. Having said that, make that share read only ;)

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I watched that Linus video and it made my teeth hurt. The guy has incredibly expensive hardware thrown at him like the wind and he does that. I was frankly waiting to the end when he lost all the data and was going to laugh manically. That RAID abomination is one of the stupidest builds I can even imagine.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Every person that I personally know that use(d) raid-5 has lost their entire array. It's literally the dumbest thing someone can do without an entire set of backups.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

mayodreams posted:

My approach is getting a 8TB internal/external drive to back things up to. Putting all of your eggs into a single cheap usb enclosure is very risky. I've seen a lot of them fail.

I just got the 8TB Seagate 'archive' 5400RPM drive. It is only for backups, and I got the internal drive with the 3 year waranty. I don't trust Seagate for poo poo but for like $215 it is hard to beat at 8TB.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
my new 8TB drive shows up as 7.2TB.. this marketing poo poo is getting annoying

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Why more people don't use Stablebit Drivepool on a Windows machine is beyond me. It has the same features as Unraid but uses windows and home built stuffs. Never had any data loss, never had any issues. Its real loving good.
https://stablebit.com/drivepool

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Same thing with the drat 8TB Seagates. Wrong screw holes.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Just get one of these https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Arch...rds=8TB+seafate

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Moey posted:

I snagged one for testing at work.

I'm thinking that they might be great for media hoarding. Write once read many.

My thoughts exactly.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I use one of these to blow out my computers:
https://www.amazon.com/Toro-51585-E...ric+leaf+blower

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

insularis posted:

Yes, the CIFS shares in FreeNAS expose the ZFS snapshots to Windows machines (if you so choose). There's no setup required, it just works ... if the Windows machine can see the ZFS share presented, and snapshots are on for that share, Windows will see it. They're read-only to the clients, and as many snapshots as you have are visible (into the thousands, even).

This is actually pretty impressive. Surprising even.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

insularis posted:

It's incredibly handy. I let the users see their own home folder and department folder snapshots to self-service restore small backups of files/folders for themselves, and with the master "high level" snapshots, I can just roll back the entire Windows share file system in case of a CryptoLocker event (and CryptoLocker has absolutely no write access to any level of ZFS snapshots by default).

It's funny because that is exactly the scenario I was thinking of. :D

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Um, probably not. The NAS controller probably wont be using Intel RAID and might not even be formatted as NTFS.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
WD MyCloud EX2 should fit that bill:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AWH05KK/ref=psdc_13436301_t2_B00I2P53NY

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Hambilderberglar posted:

I think my constellations are going after 17k+ hours. :(

Zpool status alerted me to errors on one disk, smartctl spits out 12k reallocated sectors for /dev/sdb, plus unrecoverable read/write errors on two more disks, albeit with no errors or reallocated sectors.
Since I'm a little disappointed with having to write down €600+ of disks in under two years, what are some harddisk recommendations from the fine folks in this thread I can use to replace my current ones?

For reference, I have 4x3tb constellation CS's running currently, hooked up to a flashed M1015. Will the controller take 4tb (or even 5tb) drives? I'm almost out of space too, so this is a decent time for me to think of upgrading. :v:

I wont personally buy anything but Hitachi NAS 4TB or above.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Hambilderberglar posted:

I known n=1 doesnt count, but how long have you had yours?

Letsee, about 2.5 years. No bad sectors and no errors and I do surface scans every few months. I am using 8 of them but I have sold another 10ish and no failures as of yet. But really I recommended those drives because of Backblaze's stats: https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-stats-q1-2016/

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Krailor posted:

If you've been happy with how everything has been running on your windows box and you just need some parity then instead of storage spaces take a look at DrivePool. It's pretty intuitive and will even let you set up different parity levels for different folders, only limited by the number of drives you have. I've been using it for about a year and it's been rock solid.

Totally agree. DrivePool f'n rocks. I think the main dev used to be on Microsoft's HomeServer team.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
That's an odd drive. Toshiba has typically not made a ton of desktop 3.5" models. No idea on the reliability nor have I read anything.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

necrobobsledder posted:

I have a bunch of Toshiba 4 TB desktop drives in my NAS and have no problem but as we've seen with Seagate before, different capacity drives can have different reliability rates and there can be variance among model years as well - sounds like cars, right?
This is already happening with XPoint, but XPoint will be significantly more expensive than SSDs for sure and nestle somewhere between DDR4 RDIMM pricing as an expectation. On the other hand, XPoint is viable for huge memory servers...

As of now, Xpoint is not even close enough to ram Bandwidth to be used as that. It's more like NVMe SSDs with less latency from what I remember reading. So who knows, maybe the price wont be stupid.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Forget Drobo. They are not appropriate to your situation. I don't even really have a recommendation except NOT Drobo, ever. Synology seems pretty good. Plenty of models to choose from that do not use a drobo type proprietary file system.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Shachi posted:

Am I correct in my understanding that drobo store data in a proprietary format their "beyond raid bullshit"? There fore a failure of the device means buying another to read the data?

Does Synology do this or is it just a RAID setup that is managed by the device.

Yeah you would have to buy another Drobo to recover anything if the main one died. I don't think recovery software understands their RAID system though I could be wrong.
Synology uses industry standard file systems so you should be good to go.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Of course you want the HGST drives. They are badass. Low RMA rates

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

emocrat posted:

So, the OP hasn't been updated in a while and I haven't seen it come up in conversation going back a number of pages, so I will just ask. What is this threads opinion of Windows Storage Spaces?

It seems like a pretty simple way for me to get the benefits of parity protection without having to dedicate a separate box for a NAS (and also to stay inside windows where I am most comfortable). Are there any dramatic downsides? I am interested in them in 2 different scenarios:

Home Use where I store a bunch of TB worth of music movies and photos (plex etc)
Small business use where it would store mundane business data (probably use mirroring not parity there) shared between a handful of users. (We have for real backups on and offsite, I know raid is not backup).

Terrible idea? or decent when my needs or simple?

There is a lot wrong with storage spaces. I really highly recommend you use Stablebit Drive Pool. Just spend the 30 bux and enjoy it. You can span your shares/folders among any amount and sized hard drives. All files are stored as standard NTFS.. and easily recoverable.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've built a few ASROCK Rack server/workstations and I really like em. Good prices, solid performance, stability. What's not to love?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

priznat posted:

My only complaint is not to do with them but the fact that very few sellers (in Canada anyway) seem to have any of their boards listed. Most (like NCIX) will order them though!

Just don't get the instant gratification of an all online ordering ;)

I use several at work and they are great and have a really full featured bios.

Yes for servers their BIOSs are very good. Way way more features than your average dell.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
So you are saying that by the fact that ZFS is so i/o intensive doing background bookeeping it has a much greater chance of having data corrupted by bit flips? Is there any data to back this up? It's kind of interesting.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've got a PowerEdge t410 and it does this really odd thing, maybe someone knows why. It lays on its side on a storage rack. If lays with its side which opens facing up, the fan spins at like 6000RPM and sounds like a vacuum cleaner. If I flip it 180 deg so the side which opens faces down the fans chill at normalish 1000-2000rpm... WTF?!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

priznat posted:

Having the side open mucks up the airflow perhaps? Can you try just keeping it with the open side up and put the case side back on?

Alternatively a switch is detecting the case is open and cranks fans to max and the switch is depressed when facing down.

Sorry, in both orientations the case is totally closed. This is why it confuses me. You are probably right about the case switch somehow being opened or whatever. I will see if I can figure it out.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Greatest Living Man posted:

So Amazon sent me two 6 TB drives instead of the 3 TBs I ordered. If I'm starting fresh and formatting my existing pool, can I mirror them all in freeNAS without any problems due to the inconsistent sizes?

Just sayin, they tend to notice.. at some point.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah in that case enjoy. Ive had cases where they asked if I got something they did in fact send in error. But it was not mislabeled.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

ElehemEare posted:

I built a home server/ NAS combo last year and I was a dumb dumb; now Stablebit Scanner is flipping out because the load cycle count on the 2x2TB WD Greens I meant to replace are now at twice the threshold limit. I'm going to pick up an 8TB Red on Black Friday sale, but I'm also out of SATA ports. I want to throw a four-port SATA controller in so that I can actually hit full capacity of my case eventually, but I'm unsure on what to pick up.

I'm using Drivepool and folder duplication for redundancy so I don't need any RAID functionality built in. Is there any appreciable difference between a C$28 Syba PEX40064 or C$49 Syba PEX40057 and a C$100 Highpoint 640L? Am I just overthinking this?

I guess more appropriately: should I just be avoiding Marvell controllers in favor of something else?

No, it makes absolutely no difference which controllers you use.
I use these because what the hell, cheap as poo poo. Work perfectly over years.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005B0A6ZS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (ASM106)

I got 3 of them for 6 extra ports. Probably not the best solution but very cheap.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Counterpoint, I see approx 4x seagates fail over other brands. I go through about 30 drives a month give or take a few. Most are from 500-1000GB

redeyes fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Dec 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Toshimo posted:

Moving my array out of my box and into the new QNAP, one of the drives is starting to throw a SMART abnormality. Any lines on a cheapish 6tb drive with 3yr warranty?

Also, considering getting my dad a T20 for Xmas. Am I looking at spending as much on 2012r2 as I am for the hardware, or can I get a copy cheaper somewhere?

Ebay has really cheap license copies, probably OEM but whatever.