Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

stuph posted:

I just need a cheap PCI (not PCIe) SATA (or SATA2) card with 2 ports to throw into a WHS box for now - what's the cheapest thing out there I can get that's not going to crap itself if I look at it funny? I just need more SATA ports.

$13 SYBA SD-SATA150R PCI SATA Controller Card - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124006
specs: http://www.syba.com/Product/Info/Id/39
Silicon Image SIL 3112 host controller chip

$19 SYBA SD-SATA-4P PCI SATA Controller Card - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124020
specs: http://www.syba.com/Product/Info/Id/34
Silicon Image SIL 3114 host controller chip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

kri kri posted:

Is it worth getting 3Gbps cards?

Well no not really, because individual hard disks don't saturate SATA channels right now anyways, and especially not if "Network speeds really don't bother me that much". I picked those cards out simply because they have what's probably one of the most common SATA controller chips out there on the market. He probably won't even need the driver disk if he's running XP Pro SP2 or Vista.

It might be different if you're doing something like that internal RAID-cage device where it's 5 drives running together over the same SATA port.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Sh1tF4ced posted:

Does anyone know of a moderately priced rackmount server chasis with only 3.5 bays or only 5.25 bays? I was thinking something like this would be perfectly suited for a home nas.

The closest thing to what you're thinking of would be a CoolerMaster Stacker. Any rackmount NAS case worth looking at is over $400. Also you would be insane to run one of them in your house because they're extremely loud.

Here's a search no Newegg for all cases with 8 or more hot-swap trays:
big loving link

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Mar 28, 2008

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

napking posted:

is the readynas nv+ still regarded as the top of the line bee's knees?

It's a great device feature wise, but the power supplies are getting bad buzz, and the support from Netgear is lame.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Where can I find a chassis that will hold 16-24 SATA drives?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

JavaFox posted:

This one has twelve 3.5" bays plus seven 5.25" bays. Would that work?

Ideally with this many drives I would want them all in hot-swap cages since turning off a server that large seems like a silly idea. It should either be 16-24 individual SATA trays, or enough space to fit three or four SATA backplanes. Extra bonus points if it's rackmount.

*edit* hhahahahha loving sweet... If I had $6000 I could pull together 20TB of raid6 storage with that Lian-Li case.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 27, 2008

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

MrMoo posted:

That's pretty clever, 24 bays often ships in 5u:

http://usa.chenbro.com/corporatesite/products_cat.php?pos=14.

Haven't seen an equivalent of the Thumper case yet though.

God that thing is awesome. Somebody give me $65k so I can get one of these.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

zapf posted:

I'm looking to (very cheaply) add a lot of RAID10 storage to an existing server and was hoping you all could confirm that I'm not doing something obscenely stupid.

8x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST3750330NS 750GB

If you're moving beyond 4 drives, you should start looking into RAID5 or RAID6 with hotspares.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Yeah PCI-X is backwards compatible. I'm running a Highpoint RocketRAID 2220, and the extended pins just hang over the back of the slot.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Jam2 posted:

I'm running a five drive 1TB RAID-5 array. Looking to purchase eight 1TB drives and migrate the array off of the old 250GB drives. Does it make sense to remove one drive at a time and force the card to rebuild the array 5 times? Is there an easier way?

I originally had 5x500 drives, and then added 3x750's, built a new RAID5 array with those, and copied the files over. Then I added two more 750's and expanded the array across them. Eventually I had to reformat the array though, because windows only supports single partitions larger than 2TB on GPT disks. Oh, and when you're expanding a 1TB array it takes DAYS to finish.

more falafel please posted:

In the inevitable possibility that one or both of the remaining 750GB drives fail, or I decide to upgrade, would I be able to resize the array to 3TB after replacing both 750GB drives with 1TB drives? I wouldn't mind if I had to replace the drives one at a time and/or rebuild the array several times, I'd be fine if it took a week, but is it possible without destroying the data?

Replace each of the 750 GB drives with 1TB drives one at a time and let the card rebuild the array each time. Since the smallest partition size in the array is 750, any new drives you add will also only get 750 utilized. Once you have all four drives in, run the OCE program to expand the array to 4x1TB RAID5

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jul 17, 2008

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Jam2 posted:

I don't understand. What does GPT mean? So I cannot create a 7TB partition?

The OS is Windows Server 2008 Datacenter by the way.

GPT = GUID partiton table. You have to get Windows 2003 or better installed on a boot/system drive before you can format the array disk as a GPT disk. GPT disks can have something like a 4 petabyte partition on it.

6. How big can a GPT disk be?
In theory, a GPT disk can be up to 2^64 logical blocks in length. Logical blocks are commonly 512 bytes in size.

The maximum partition (and disk) size is a function of the operating system version. Windows XP and the original release of Windows Server 2003 have a limit of 2TB per physical disk, including all partitions. For Windows Server 2003 SP1 Windows XP x64 edition, and later versions, the maximum raw partition of 18 exabytes can be supported. (Windows file systems currently are limited to 256 terabytes each.)

more falafel please posted:

So OCE/ORLM WILL work once all the drives are 1TB? That's nice. Of course, I guess in the process of doing OCE it's vulnerable, but I guess I can take that risk.

Thanks.

RAID5 by definition uses the smallest drive size as the parition size for all the drives in the array, so you might as well swap out all the 750's for 1TB drives before running the expansion wizard, so that you can expand the 750gb partitions to 1TB partitions.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 17, 2008

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Jam2 posted:

Is this plan possible?

Here's my suggestion:
1) create a second three-by-1TB drive array, 2TB storage, formatted GPT & NTFS
2) copy your data over
3) take out the old drives and add in your extra drives
4) expand the array
5) expand the partition using diskpart.exe (google for instructions)

I think that's how I did mine.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

This is generally a function you see on RAID cards. I think the hard drive also has to support it.

SATA drives have software controlled power built into the specification.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Have you guys heard anything about the LG N2R1 pre-built NAS devices? I'm looking for something for my cousin who's a mac user, and need a time-machine compatible NAS that won't require a significant amount of hackery to make work (like time machine over SMB does)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822319006

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

friendship waffle posted:

Synology's Time Machine support is supposed to be pretty decent. Their NAS products are very nice overall as well.

That's why I was looking at this LG box - it's supposed to have roughly the same feature set (real TM support for one) while costing about half as much as the Synology box.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

dj_pain posted:

But most are setup to do sli or crossfire. So the question could be, Can I use a crossfire board and plug in a x4 sas card into it ?

yes

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

CrazyLittle posted:

Have you guys heard anything about the LG N2R1 pre-built NAS devices? I'm looking for something for my cousin who's a mac user, and need a time-machine compatible NAS that won't require a significant amount of hackery to make work (like time machine over SMB does)

Uh, just buy the Synology. They're already really cheap compared to netgear's ReadyNAS product line.

Just a quick flash back, SmallNetBuilder reviewed the LG NAS box and it has pretty slow throughput: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-reviews/31010-lg-n2b1-super-multi-nas-reviewed?start=4

I'll be getting a Synology for my cousin.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

I'm not a synology whore, by the way, I just use their products and like them. They are cheap, expandable, and work well. The diskstation software is easy to use

Well, it certainly helps that it's got Time Machine support, and happened to top the performance charts in that review I linked, so I'm not just taking your word for it ;)

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Which would you guys choose: Synology DS1010+ or Thecus N7700?

How well does the Thecus support ZFS, or RAID-Z?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
The biggest cost of colocation today is power and heat. "Green" drives help solve both problems, so it makes a lot of sense even if they're just kneecapping faster drives. Think of the power and heat savings when you stretch that over 1000 disks.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
5TB disks? Seriously? Good god I can't imagine the rebuild times on something like that. With disks that large is ZFS / raid-z pretty much the only feasible redundancy path?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
I have to wonder if something like triple parity would even be useful at that point. I'm already re-doing an array of 750gb disks into 10x3TB disks in raid6 + 1 hot spare (21TB usable space), and that's just betting on having up to two disks fail with 1 standby to buy me more time.