Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheChipmunk
Sep 29, 2003

Eschew Obfuscation
ZFS on Mac.
http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/zfs/wiki/documentation
BIg deal?

I'm currently using Ubuntu Server edition on an old PC with two fairly large drives via LVM (Basically JABOD).
I'm very new to the unix environment and I really have no idea what the hell I'm doing. LVM on Ubuntu Server Edition was quite the accomplishment for me.

Is OpenSolaris a respectable option for ZFS and homebrew NAS boxes? (By NAS I mean old computer + drives).

And also a rather bad question for RAID-5: Lets say I have two 250gig hard drives and I put them in RAID 5 configuration. Do I see 500Gigs available? Or do I only see 250? Seeing 500gigs available blows my mind if its true.
(I am obviously not speaking of ACTUAL availability but is this theoretically sound?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChipmunk
Sep 29, 2003

Eschew Obfuscation

Toiletbrush posted:

You do know that ZFS originates out of (Open)Solaris?

--edit: What I'm saying is that if you want best stability for ZFS, you should install the turf it's born on. To check if all your hardware's supported, download the Project Indiana preview from opensolaris.org. It's an installable LiveCD. There's an OpenSolaris distro called NexentaStor specialized for NAS crap, comes with a Web UI.

Yeah, I knew it originated with Solaris but I thought Solaris was used more for the corporate world and might be overkill for a homebrew situation where I only have a couple drives.

TheChipmunk
Sep 29, 2003

Eschew Obfuscation
I have a ReadyNAS network drive. I also have a Powermac G5:
One Ethernet Port is connected to a WRT54GL running as a Wireless Ethernet Bridge (Tomato). I'd like to connect the ReadyNAS to the second ethernet port on the G5.

In this situation, I really have no idea whats going on. I could connect the ReadyNAS to the bridge, but I'd like to use a wired Ethernet and keep it off the main network (the main router that hands the G5 an IP through DHCP). The WRT54GL is only a 10/100...