Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Quick question that hopefully belongs in this thread and not tech support.

I recently bought some Seagate 4TB drives to set up a raid for non-critical storage, but after I had it up and working I was periodically hearing a strange 'chirping' noise from one of the drives, so I broke the RAID and set all the drives up as separate drives so I have now isolated which drive it is.

Symptom: Periodic 'chirp' sound, usually quite brief, but on occasion can be half a second or so in duration, sort of like chirp then brief fingernails on a chalkboard. The interval that it happens can be 15-20 minutes apart, or many hours. Some days I won't hear it at all.

Drive - ST4000DM000

The question - Is this a 'drive is going to fail' issue, or is it nothing to worry about? Drive performance seems fine other than this, and drive temperature is the same as the other drives, typically 32c-36c.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

phosdex posted:

That is a noise I absolutely return drives for. Maybe it'll work for years and be ok but I'm not going to find out.

Cool, thats sort of what I needed to know. I'll exchange it. Thank you.