Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WindMinstrel
Jan 20, 2005
I'm a minstrel. Blow me.
I just want to take a few moments to gush over RAID-Z.

I tried using solaris, but it had a boatload of problems detecting my JMB363 controller which was driving my boot drives (2x120GB's), so I went to FreeBSD(at the time)7-RC1.

And it worked. And now I'm at 7.0-RELEASE.

And, goddamn, it is loving impressive.

I built the array with one command, which took about 5 seconds. I then made another pool on the array for backups, which I then told the system to increase the amount of drives it stored the backups on. I then made a documents subpool inside the Backups one, and turned compression on. I'm getting ~50% compression on the documents, and they're stored across 3 of the 6 drives.

I did all that with five simple commands.

I get mailed a status report every day, and if it detects some errors, it repairs it, e-mails me and repairs the file on the drive.

I really, really have had a perfect experience with ZFS and RAID-Z, and I imagine under solaris it's even better.

You want a fair hunk of RAM (~1GB, which is probably the cheapest anyway) and a 64-bit processor if you want maximum performance out of it, but I get ~220MB/s reads off it anyway with 1GB and 32-bit install of FBSD7-RELEASE, so I can't be bothered. If I did need to reinstall, a simple command unmounts the zpool, and then I can do whatever the gently caress I want, then just zpool import [poolname] and it's back. Perfect stuff.

Oh, and I re-did all my cabling after I set it up, all the drives were on different ports of the controller, ZFS didn't even blink.

In summary. :love: ZFS, :love: RAID-Z.

All it needs is online capacity expansion and it's superior in every way to mdadm RAID-5.

Edit: Me spelling perfect.

WindMinstrel fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 19, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindMinstrel
Jan 20, 2005
I'm a minstrel. Blow me.

stephenm00 posted:

why isn't zfs and raid-z a more common option? Their must be some disadvantage for home users right?

Well until recently it was either use solaris, which has... interesting hardware support, or use a beta/RC of FreeBSD7.

Now that FreeBSD7 is released, I hope to see a bit more uptake.

Because goddamn, ZFS is just amazing.

WindMinstrel
Jan 20, 2005
I'm a minstrel. Blow me.

ParanoiaComplex posted:

As far as homebrew file server motherboards go, I'd recommend the Gigabyte P35-DS3R:

This.

This is the board I'm using, and apart from the JMB363 (purple ports) not being supported under solaris, it's perfect.

It's great.