Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
I'm undecided on buying a NAS. I like the Synology DS413 but it's pricy and lacks some features compared to the Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 4 (namely, RAID scrubbing and snapshots, but I guess I can cron RAID scrubbing).

On the other hand I'm perfectly capable of managing some kind of DIY thing, I just don't really want to spend the time. However, the purchase price for a DIY setup would be probably half that of the above two, though the increase power usage and larger form factor might not make up for it.

Anyone have an opinion? Should I just drop the cash on one of the above two and get on with my life? Or is it easier than I think to set something reliable up that I won't have to gently caress around with all the time and won't be some ugly beastly PC case?

Fake edit: I could do FreeBSD + ZFS, but that requires going 64-bit with 2g of RAM...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Will the MicroServer/FreeNAS spin down drives when not in use? Will it go to sleep? Apparently the Synology stuff will hibernate at ~4 watts when not in use (and wake up automatically?) so that's sweet. I don't think I'll use this more than 1-2 times a day, so I'd like everything to spin down when not in use.

Before you ask why I'm getting something I'll use that infrequently, it's because all my computers have tiny SSDs and it's a pain sharing files between them, plus I have a bunch of raw images I'd like to archive over a year (and probably back up to Amazon Glacier?).

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Is that still true with "Green" drives? I assume they were rated for more start/stop cycles since the firmware is super power conservative? I was thinking green drives + the TLER fix.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
At what size array do drives with a lower UER become vital?

Also, based on the WD Red drive spec of 600k load/unload cycles, that's enough to sleep/wake the drive 100 times a day (every ~15 minutes) for 16 years. It seems like letting drives sleep after a few hours of inactivity shouldn't stress them much. Though, if there is a failure caused by start/stop cycles, it may impact all drives at once.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Perhaps the source system supporting POSIX permissions is re/setting the permissions to match the original after a copy?

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Tell me about the HP ProLiant N40L. How does it perform with ZFS? How many internal SATA ports does it have? Airflow good?

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Any thoughts on the HP vs this and this? Size/noise are a concern, effort less so as long as the end result works, but I'm not going rack a DL160 for this.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
My gut feeling is that if you've spend enough money to go 10gige plus all those drives and the ramdrive, you can certainly pay someone to support it for you. Why not contact iXsystems and see if they'll sell you support for FreeNAS (or a license for TrueNAS)? They seem like good people.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
So what are my other options besides the HP N40L? It's been out for a while, is there a new version coming? Can I build something myself that's fanless, faster than an Atom, and has a similar sized case/similar price point?

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
I guess the HP is the best way to go, I'm just annoyed the CPU doesn't support all the VT and AES extensions I'm used to and would probably use. But maybe not heavily enough to really miss them. Also I've heard of people getting it for < $300 but I haven't seen it less than $320 lately.

I spoke to the lead developer for FreeNAS and he complained that Atom CPUs weren't really fast enough to do ZFS over GigE and said an i3 is much better. Seems like the N40L falls right between the two?

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
I really want to use CIFS though. Is there anything that can be done about that? It can't all be CPU bound?

Edit: All Windows clients will be Windows 7.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

joe944 posted:

Edit: Just saw someone posted the $109 drives above.. my bad.

Anyways, I was talking about my ZFS build earlier and now I have the drives to complete it! I'll post up some pics when I get the drives.

Max of 5 sucks.. I had to order one from Amazon. :(

I just bought some from newegg and some from Amazon both for $110 each. The first time I hit the page Amazon had them for $120 but they lowered it by the time I was ready to buy.

Edit: If it hasn't shipped yet cancel and re-order at $110?

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
So I ordered an N40L and a bunch of drives. If this doesn't work out I am going to be full of such impotent goon rage at this thread.

But I'm sure it will be fine. Incidentally, forum threads show enabling AIO (via loading the kernel module and building samba with that option) on FreeBSD helps a lot with samba/CIFS performance. Anyone having trouble give that a try?

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Are you buying a second NIC for LACP?

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

DrDork posted:

(well, probably with a SATA PCIe expansion card)?

Isn't that your only option with the N40L too? A single ESATA port won't really be satisfying with 4 external drives.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Newegg has the HP N40L for $256 on sale. You know, three days after I ordered it for $320.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
I'll try that, thanks.

The promo code is EMCJJJG98, that should save anyone else digging through their inbox looking for the email.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
I read that not all 2tb drive models are exactly the same size. If I assign the full drives to the RAIDZ array and end up having to replace one with a different make/model, there's a chance the replacement drive might not be big enough to rebuild the array onto, even if it's a 2tb drive. Should I assign less than the maximum drive size to the array just in case, or should I not worry about it?

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
It appears FreeBSD 9.1-RC3 can't rebuild onto a smaller drive (tested inside VMWare). Given that, what do other ZFS users do?

Another ZFS question, is df the only way to find out the usable size of a pool? zpool list seems to show the total size including the size of parity drives, and zfs list shows the used and available but not the total. df shows the total, or I can just add up the totals from zfs list, but it seems odd nothing would tell me the usable size of the array?

diehlr posted:

I've ssh'd into the box and run the top command and not seeing any odd spikes in CPU utilization. The drive is reporting as healthy, and is a Seagate 3 TB drive. Any suggestions on tracking this down would be fantastic.

I don't know if synology has "iotop", but if not that try "iostat 1". iostat will print a lot of information, but you're looking for the MB/s or KB/s under the column that looks like it's named after a drive (md0?).

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

diehlr posted:

Evidently, neither command is available.

How about vmstat 1? Look for the io column. Does the count drop to 0 when the movie pauses? Or does it spike higher?

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Has anyone had luck getting > 8 gigs of ram into an N40L? I read some people were able to, so I picked up an 8 gig stick of KVR1333D3E9S RAM but I can't get both the 2 gig that comes with it and the 8 gig to work together. The BIOS shows both sticks of RAM with the correct timings and everything, but POST only counts up to 2 gigs with both installed. Installing one at a time works okay.

I flashed that crazy AHCI enabling BIOS but it didn't make any difference. Any suggestions?

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Krakkles posted:

Dumb question: If I stick my four 2TB drives in my N40L, can I install my OS on those drives? Or do I need to somehow get an SSD or something to install on separately?

The plan is to use RAID6, and either Amahi or WHS. Which ... I'm open to ideas here. I like the idea of Amahi, but I've never used it and I'm definitely more comfortable in Windows.

You can, but there is also another internal SATA and USB port you could use for a boot drive (flash drive, SSD, SATA->CF adapter, etc).

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
You can install FreeBSD (and I assume FreeNAS/NAS4free) in vmware onto a USB stick if you don't assign the VM a hard drive and just plug in the USB stick. The installer will see the USB stick as the only HDD and will work just the same as it would on a hard drive.

Once it's installed just plug the USB stick into the N40L.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Krakkles posted:

So ... to install linuxFreeBSD, I need to buy VMWare? That's ... kind of ridiculous.

VMware player is free. Plenty of people have installed FreeBSD directly onto a USB stick. I don't know enough about the process/NAS4free/whatever to help you, I'm telling you this worked for me.

Edit: I've also had trouble with 64-gig memory sticks, Windows doesn't really like working with them. Never had problems with 8- or 16-.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Yeah, copying files isn't enough. I believe it needs an MBR with a bootable partition and boot loader installed. Fortunately doing it through the freebsd installer will do all that for you, though it's slower writing things file by file as an installer will do than as large blocks like an imager will do. Oh well, you only should need to do this once.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
I just bought the 2tb reds. Oh well, someone enjoy these!

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
One of my NIB WD Red drives failed right out of the box. I plugged it in and copied a big file to it which worked fine, but then I ran a smart "long" test and it failed within a few minutes. I re-ran the test to be sure and the drive stopped responding completely. Back in the box it goes.

If you're setting up a new array and have the time, test the drives before you put anything on them. It will save you headaches down the line.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Wasn't there a data corruption but that was just fixed in btrfs? I'm not sure I'd trust it yet.

My N40L has ECC RAM in it and the BIOS is set to Parity: Auto but MemTest86+ says ECC: Disabled. Should MemTest86+ recognize the ECC?

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Can't you replace each drive one by one with a larger drive and let it resilver, and at the end it will grow the filesystem to the new drive sizes?

Also I don't think you want 111 for permissions, that would deny read and write access to everyone.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Megaman posted:

What do people recommend for a 9 drive raidz nasty?

Frequent backups.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Xenomorph posted:

I've tried with SMB2 and SMB1 (checked with the Get-SmbConnection command). I've tried with SMB1 and oplocks enabled & disabled. I tried with and without extended attributes and alternative data streams enabled.

It's always the same errors and always on the same files. I started with a new profile (nothing local, nothing on server). The files are created locally (Favorites/desktop.ini), saved to the server as zero-byte files, then re-read back to the profile as zero-byte files, destroying the good/local copies.

If you run smbd with all the debugging flags enabled, does it print anything interesting about that file? It's probably a lack of support for Win8 in Samba, though.

Edit: smbd -i -S -d 9999 ?

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
I've got FreeBSD 9.1-RC3 on a N40L and I get reads of around 100mb/sec that drop down to ~60mb/second after maybe 30 seconds. I'm not sure why that is but it's possibly on the client end, my desktop is almost out of disk space.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
It's honestly a miracle it works at all given the lack of information they had when the project started. Not that it doesn't make your situation any less frustrating of course.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I haven't yet been able to get a good enough look at the console before it reboots to figure out what it's spitting up but I think it's some form of segfault / kernel panic / whatever the poo poo goes for a BSoD in Solaris-land.

I think there was a bug like this recently found in FreeBSD believed to also be in Solaris. See here.

The long and short of it is that old versions could write corrupt metadata that caused a panic on delete. The fix was to backup all of the data and re-create the pool.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

IOwnCalculus posted:

That sounds a lot like it. I may just live with it for the time being since this is literally the only file with the problem (so far), and the amount of space it takes up is completely negligible.

I've got everything on it backed up but it does take a long, long time to restore over the internet...done that once already :)

Oh, sorry I wasn't clear. Apparently you can make a backup from the data as reading it won't cause an error. You just need a temporary location for the data while you destroy and re-create the array.

Of course if you don't have another array with at least that much free space that doesn't help you. Maybe you can unmount the drives and correct the issue with a hex editor, if you're feeling brave.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Chelsio has the best BSD drivers for 10G NICs.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

crm posted:

Does anybody have a link to a guide for what to order with a Proliant N40L to make it awesome?

(or equivalently priced hardware will work too)

What's the recommended RAID setup for one of those? What's the best OS to run with it? FreeNAS?

All you need to stuff 5 drives in the N40L is a 3.5 to 5.25 adapter. For 6 drives there's an adapter but I forget the name.

The PSU isn't that powerful though, I don't know if I'd trust it to run 6 drives but people have reported success. You'll also want 8 or 16 gigs of memory (I bought Kingston ECC).

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Comradephate posted:

I can't seem to find anything more recent than early 2011.

How's the performance of ZFS on non-Solaris systems compared to, say, mdadm? (for ~6 disk single distributed parity setup)

I imagine ZFS is significantly slower at some tasks (since it performs checksuming of all (meta-)data) and faster at others (resilvering only allocated space). The fact that the filesystem, RAID, and volume management are all united would probably save you time, though.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
I haven't had any problems with the Boadcom NIC in my N40L (it's not a realtek). It's not as good as an Intel but it's likely going to work fine for most people. Most if not all HP servers ship with Broadcom cards and run fine with FreeBSD.

If you were trying to do line rate gigabit worth of 68 byte packets I'd say get an Intel, but that would be a terrible scenario for a NAS.

Ninja Rope fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

emoltra posted:

Ideally the system would be able to stream two 1080p movies as well as be unraring / repairing a volume simultaneously without choking. I'd like to be able to have enough power to be able to transcode videos to unsupported clients as well.

I've been looking at the N40L but according to Newegg its max supported storage is 8TB and it won't handle more than 8GB of RAM.

You can get more storage and 16G of RAM in the N40L, but the CPU will be too underpowered to do what you're asking all at the same time.