Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Ok, I should be getting everything I need to make a file/plex server this weekend.

I've been looking at doing something similar to you so wanted to check in - how did your build go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

It went well! Since I wanted to use it to stream steam games as well (no sense buying an extra 100+ machine when I can just stick it on this since everything is low use and I want to use ds4 controllers), that limited me to only a few possible linux distributions. I just stuck ubuntu on there and installed it as lightweight as possible, getting samba, plex, and steam all set up, using zpool to set up my drives.

Oh good to hear! Out of curiosity, how did you set up your zpool?

The last of my parts came this week and I finally finished building today (first build so took me forever :( and made me feel incredibly dumb in the process). I managed to get FreeNAS up and running from a USB flash drive and then stalled when I got to trying creating a zpool. Honestly, after spending the last 4 hours or so reading about zpools, vdevs and the various permutations of RAIDZ and alternatives, I think I'm more confused than when I started.

Right now, I've only got a pair of WD Red 3TB drives to work with for storage (I did get a separate SDD to run the plex jail). As I accumulate more stuff, I will probably add more drives but at the moment I've probably only got around 1-1.5 TB of data, so I didn't want to load up on more than 2 drives to start.

Based on this post and this other post it sounds like mirrored stripes (or is it striped mirrors?! and are these the same as mirrored vdevs?!) would be the way to go.

Am I just going down completely the wrong path? :confused:

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

phosdex posted:

With 2 drives your only real choice is a mirror, this is a mirrored vdev. You can then later add 2 more drives of the same size to become a striped mirror. You can continue adding pairs of drives to this.

Thanks for the confirmation, this sounds like the setup that would work the best for me.

Hambilderberglar posted:

Unless you like to live dangerously, a mirror is the only sensible thing to do with a two disk configuration. With mdadm you could create a software raid with "missing" disks, but I don't know if I'd use that for anything I care about myself.

Your explanation plus the snazzy diagrams finally made it click - I don't mind living a little dangerously now and then but not when it comes to data. Thanks for taking the time to go through it. Now, to finish building! :dance:

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Welp, got the NAS build finished, Plex installed, mirrored vdev set up and most of the data migrated over. Now I've run into more of an annoyance rather than an issue per se - I can't seem to find an easy solution for centralising and managing loads of home videos/photos. This is only for big events like weddings and vacations where we're taking thousands of photos/videos in HD (the unimportant day to day food pics/selfies/whatevers can just stay as crappy compressed versions in Google Photos).

I'm pretty sure my use case is fairly basic - while there are both Macs and PCs on the network, I'd only have a couple of users (just immediate family) total. No one is a pro or even an amateur photographer (so no RAW) and while multiple users might - on occasion - be viewing files at the same time, we don't really do much photo/video editing except for adding/correction EXIF description/location information/fix timestamps and then using the EXIF metadata to find/show stuff.

Based on the googling, I've only found a couple of options and all of them seem less than ideal:

1. Use the Plex Photos and Home Videos libraries functionality - would probably be the path of least resistance since Plex is already set up; just highly, highly annoying that photos and videos from the same event can't be kept in the same folder.

2. Install the now defunct Picasa program on every device that needs access to the photos and videos, set them all up to point to a Picasa database on the NAS

3. Repeat #2 above, except with the iPhoto library, although skimming a couple of google results gives me the impression that this is even worse than the Picasa solution

4. Lychee - but would require setting up a PHP5.5 server and MySQL on the NAS (which I can do but seems like a waste as this would literally be the only thing running on it)

What is everyone here using? Any recommendations?

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
I did a dumb dumb thing with my FreeNAS set up (an old 10.x.x.x router died; got a new 192.x.x.x router which has DHCP server enabled so I went and reserved the IP addresses for FreeNAS and the Plex jail MAC addresses then pressed a stupid setting to switch to DHCP from my previously static IPs).

This promptly broke a lot of things. I did not back up my config because I did not expect things to break quite so spectacularly and now my FreeNAS box can't access the internet, which means my Plex server is...dead. Thankfully, my SMB share is still working so I can still get to the files if I'm at home, but this is less than ideal. The obvious solution was to put everything back the way it was and I'm 85% certain I have things properly configured now but it is still not working. Whatever dumb thing I've messed up isn't easily googleable.

Hopefully someone knowledgeable on the TrueNAS forums will be able to help :( but I'm not that optimistic.

TL;DR as a complete noob at all this I should have just taken my money and paid for DropBox premium or something, instead of wanting to have control over my own files.

Vent over, carry on. When I'm feeling less frustrated, I'll probably take another crack at fixing this. Maybe I'll try exporting my pools so I can nuke the whole install and start clean with TrueNAS Core.