Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Flobbster posted:

the joke

your head

He just didn't reach the threshold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Flobbster posted:

the joke

your head

tbh I'd prefer not getting that joke actually.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

http://mobilesecurityares.blogspot.com/2014/10/why-samsung-knox-isnt-really-fort-knox.html?m=1

I haven't thought this through enough, but I'm posting it here because I think it's a horror.

At the same time, this doesn't seem like a sound conclusion (even though it happened to be right):

quote:

If the PIN is correct the Knox app will show you a little password hint (the first and the last character of your password!! + the original length of your password!). So now it is pretty obvious that Samsung Knox is going to store your password somewhere on the device!

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

Probably being a master of the obvious here, but if your java code cares about the version of windows that its running on, you've clearly chosen the wrong tool for the job.

You're overthinking it. Java is always the wrong tool for the job. :v:

Oww My Eye
Jun 22, 2006
Got me a movie
So my coworker found something special in our product today:

code:
Private Function ThingyObjectHasResponseData(ByVal thisThingy As Thingy) As Boolean
    Dim testVal As Object

Try
        testVal = thisThingy.ResponseType
        testVal = thisThingy.LastResponseTime

If Not IsNothing(testVal) Then
            Return True
        Else
            Return False
        End If

Catch ex As Exception
        Return False
    End Try

Return True
End Function
Typing this from memory, and my knowledge of VB.Net syntax is super weak.

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy
I wish more languages would consider unreachable code a compile-time error.

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

Bognar posted:

I wish more languages would consider unreachable code a compile-time error.

code:
switch($var)
{
	case "1":
		return 4;
	shitbag;
}
of course that's valid error free PHP! (and JavaScript also it seems)

Wardende
Apr 27, 2013

Steve French posted:

At the same time, this doesn't seem like a sound conclusion

How else could they provide those password hints without keeping an un-hashed version of the password somewhere?

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Wardende posted:

How else could they provide those password hints without keeping an un-hashed version of the password somewhere?

By storing.. the first and last character with the length..? I thought the same thing to be honest. I mean yeah they were right in this case, and security is known for being really lovely almost all of the time, but in any other scenario that would have been a pretty big leap.

Edit: vvv I'unno! The majority of sites that store credit card info like paypal store the last 4 digits as a "make sure this is the right card you're using" measure. It's just that as I mentioned above, this field is a lot more hit than miss.

Jewel fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 26, 2014

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Jewel posted:

By storing.. the first and last character with the length..? I thought the same thing to be honest. I mean yeah they were right in this case, and security is known for being really lovely almost all of the time, but in any other scenario that would have been a pretty big leap.

if youre dumb enough to provide that kind of information, youre probably dumb enough to do it in a wildly insecure way.

Wardende
Apr 27, 2013

Jewel posted:

Revealing two characters and the total length to an attacker seems like it would reduce the entropy of the hash by quite a bit, so while that's better than storing the full plaintext password, I think it would still qualify as a security horror.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Wardende posted:

Revealing two characters and the total length to an attacker seems like it would reduce the entropy of the hash by quite a bit, so while that's better than storing the full plaintext password, I think it would still qualify as a security horror.

Absolutely still a security horror, I just pointed that out as a lack of rigor in the analysis that caught my eye.

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"
I was working on something in Android recently where I wanted to make sure that I only re-computed the layout or something if the matrix I was using changed. I wanted to make sure that android.graphics.Matrix had a sane implementation of equals(), so I checked the source, and it does. Great.

Then my eyes panned down to their implementation of hashCode():

code:
    @Override
    public int hashCode() {
        // This should generate the hash code by performing some arithmetic operation on all
        // the matrix elements -- our equals() does an element-by-element comparison, and we
        // need to ensure that the hash code for two equal objects is the same.  We're not
        // really using this at the moment, so we take the easy way out.
        return 44;
    }
Granted, use cases for Matrix.hashCode aren't super common, I can't imagine why you'd use them as map keys but you might want a set of them for some reason (as long as you don't mutate them). But would it have been so hard to write this and just be smarter the first time around?

code:
float[] values = new float[9];
getValues(values);
return Arrays.hashCode(values);
It would have been faster to write and use less bytes to do it the right way than to write that comment.

Flobbster fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 26, 2014

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Allocating in hashCode sounds like a horror to me.

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"

Subjunctive posted:

Allocating in hashCode sounds like a horror to me.

Fair point.

Keep a static thread-local array around for hashing then.

Which is really just the long way around implementing the loop manually instead of using Arrays.hashCode :v:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

My friend was showing me her group's work for her software dev class. Let's play "spot what's wrong with this code"!

C# code:
        public void updateHealth(int number)
        {
            this.health += number;
            form1.healthBox.Text = health.ToString();
            if (health <= 0)
            {
                die();
            }
        }
C# code:
        public Items weapon = new Items();
        public List<Items> inventory = new List<Items>();
C# code:
        public void attack(Items weapon)
        {
            int damage = form1.player.attack;
            if (health >= 0)
            {
                switch(name){
                    case "Ghost":
                    //will impleament soung later
                    break;
                }

[...]
        }
C# code:
        public void useAbility(string character)
        {

switch (character)
            {
                case "Wizard":
                    form1.output.Text = "The Wizard used a fireball ability!";
                    for (int i = 0; i < 1; i++)
                    {
                        form1.output.Text = "The wizards power increased for one turn";
                        attack = 35;

}
                    attack = form1.player.weapon.damage;
               break;
                case "Archer":
               form1.output.Text = "The Archer used a sharp eye ability. His ability to shoot has increased";
               weapon.damage = weapon.damage + 10;
               break;

case "Swordsmen":
               form1.output.Text = "The Swordsmen used fury. His power increase by 10";
               attack = attack + 10;
               break;
            }
        }
:allears:

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 27, 2014

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Well, that's why student code is kind of out of bounds for this thread. They have a valid excuse for not knowing better :v:

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Well I've got bad news. Like many of the coders discussed in this thread, many of the posters don't perform any bounds-checking as well. :v:

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

I don't really know where else to post this but let's say you have a function

f: Z x N -> Bool

Taking a mask m in Z and checking if some property n in N is set. A simple implementation would be f(m,n) = m & (1<<n).

Now think of a really inefficient but always halting implementation. I was thinking of doing something with a power tower or Ackerman's function.

KaneTW fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 28, 2014

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

KaneTW posted:

Taking a mask m in Z and checking if some property n in N is set. A simple implementation would be f(m,n) = m & (2<<n).

Now think of a really inefficient but always halting implementation. I was thinking of doing something with a power tower or Ackerman's function.

I think you mean f(m,n) = m & (1<<n).

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
now flip the parameter order and curry it

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

sarehu posted:

I think you mean f(m,n) = m & (1<<n).

Yeah, been a while since I last used a bitfield.

The Laplace Demon
Jul 23, 2009

"Oh dear! Oh dear! Heisenberg is a douche!"

KaneTW posted:

Taking a mask m in Z and checking if some property n in N is set. A simple implementation would be f(m,n) = m & (1<<n).

Ackermann works I guess?

Python code:
# memoized via O(1) dict lookups
memo = {}
def bit_check(m, n):
	if not m in memo:
		memo[m] = {}
	if not ack(n, m) in memo[m]:
		memo[m][ack(n, m)] = (m & (1 << n)) != 0
	return memo[m][ack(n, m)]
It's roughly a third faster on subsequent calls. :v:

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

NtotheTC posted:

I thought version tuples (or the bash equivilent) were a thing everywhere. Or is this just my spoiled python background?
Comparing version numbers is a pain in the rear end. Generally the "right" way is to split the version string into an integer tuple and perform integer comparison on each element until an unequal value is found. That's basically what GNU libc strverscmp does.

The problem is that version strings can also contain letters or other symbols where the meaning isn't obvious. Debian package versions are a good example of an utterly perverse, but at least generally consistent versioning scheme that has the ability to encode an upstream "decimal" version number internally while also providing for package versions and version epochs. I find most version strings conform to a subset of what Debian uses, and in the rare instances where I have to compare them in shell, "dpkg --compare-versions" is pretty nifty.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

On the subject of versions, an in house app team has gone to the effort of updating their code to return a screenshot of how to enable compatibility mode on their lovely Adobe Flex application instead of barfing an "Oops!!! This app only works in IE7 or higher!!!" if anyone with IE10 accessed it, somehow managing to avoid actually fixing the compatibility issues or setting the X-UA-Compatible meta tag to force compatibility by default without user action.

IE10 is the company standard (at last) and this application is used continuously, I am wasting literally minutes a week flipping between modes :(

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Found in code at work.

code:
//-----------------------------------------------------------
//
//  static double SquareIt(double n)
//
/**
         Square the double passed in; utility function used to simplify the calculations
         (Declared static to limit the scope of the function to the file)

@param n double  - number to square

@return double - number (n) squared
*/
static double SquareIt(double n)
{
         return n*n;
}

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

On the subject of versions, an in house app team has gone to the effort of updating their code to return a screenshot of how to enable compatibility mode on their lovely Adobe Flex application instead of barfing an "Oops!!! This app only works in IE7 or higher!!!" if anyone with IE10 accessed it, somehow managing to avoid actually fixing the compatibility issues or setting the X-UA-Compatible meta tag to force compatibility by default without user action.

IE10 is the company standard (at last) and this application is used continuously, I am wasting literally minutes a week flipping between modes :(

I dunno if it applies to your situation, but if your Flash widget is in a page that's iframed into a page that sets an older UA version (or doesn't set one) then the iframe inherits the rendering mode no matter what it tries to set UA mode to, so it's possible that's the only solution sometimes.

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.

NinjaDebugger posted:

Found in code at work.

code:
//
//  static double SquareIt(double n)
//
/**
         Square the double passed in; utility function used to simplify the calculations
         (Declared static to limit the scope of the function to the file)

@param n double  - number to square

@return double - number (n) squared
*/
static double SquareIt(double n)
{
         return n*n;
}

The horror is that it isn't covered in the tests, right?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Munkeymon posted:

I dunno if it applies to your situation, but if your Flash widget is in a page that's iframed into a page that sets an older UA version (or doesn't set one) then the iframe inherits the rendering mode no matter what it tries to set UA mode to, so it's possible that's the only solution sometimes.

That is one possibility, though it's served through an internal portal that has the ability to inject any specified custom header into pages served through a given web root so even that can be overriden as well, in fact with less effort.

Of course, the real horror is flex.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Newf posted:

The horror is that it isn't covered in the tests, right?

No, the horror is that it's a static function. Developer should have made an IDoulbeSquarer interface and injected the implementation.

It's all about maintainability, people. :eng101:

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
MSDN: About Menus

quote:

If a menu is assigned to a window and that window is destroyed, the system automatically destroys the menu and its submenus, freeing the menu's handle and the memory occupied by the menu. The system does not automatically destroy a menu that is not assigned to a window. An application must destroy the unassigned menu by calling the DestroyMenu function. Otherwise, the menu continues to exist in memory even after the application closes. To end the calling thread's active menu, use EndMenu. If a platform does not support EndMenu, send the owner of the active menu a WM_CANCELMODE message.

What? Is this true? Or is it some Windows 95 remnant?

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

NFX posted:

Pretty much all of the Windows GUI/GDI subsystem is a Windows 3.1/95 remnant.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
I did two days of unit testing training with one of my clients last week. It was pretty great, they went from not understanding the difference between a unit test and an integration test to actively discussing the pros and cons of methods of IOC and how they're going to tackle isolating their dependencies going forward.

However, they had a consultant go in and write them a shitload of "unit" tests 4 or 5 years ago. The consultant didn't understand unit testing, they didn't understand unit testing, and no one really cared about the results enough to run them, anyway. They have about 800 tests, 300 fail because of database dependencies. They do have some unit tests in there, though, and some of them are theoretically valuable. They asked me to take a look at their tests and ferret out the real unit tests and see if any of the integration tests are salvageable. It's a worthless task, but hey, it's billable work. :shrug:

Not surprisingly, most are not. However, I came across one little corner of the application where someone chose to use Spring .NET for IOC. I was shocked! They wrapped Spring .NET up in a factory, so you can request an object, and Spring gives you back the appropriate implementation as defined in an XML file. I'm pretty much totally unfamiliar with Spring .NET, but the approach seemed solid.

Their factory class is a singleton. In the constructor, they use the following logic to determine where to read the configuration XML from:

code:
            string[] paths = new string[1];

string handlerLocation = SiteSettings.HandlerLocation;

if (handlerLocation.StartsWith("/"))
            {
                if (HttpContext.Current != null)
                {
                    paths[0] = HttpContext.Current.Server.MapPath(handlerLocation);
                }
                else
                {
                    paths[0] = SiteSettings.GetString("WebRootPath") + handlerLocation;
                }
            }
            else
            {
                paths[0] = handlerLocation;
            }

_ctx = new XmlApplicationContext(paths);
SiteSettings is their custom wrapper around Commerce Server, which is some sort of eCommerce solution that I know nothing about, but requires a full application installation and database in order to function.

So their IOC container is tightly coupled to a database and an installation of some software on the machine where the tests are going to run. Minimum.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

NFX posted:

hackbunny in the yospos plang thread posted:

I actually forgot the best, most insane part. a ton of UI syscalls can call back into user mode. oh yes virginia, you read that right. user -> kernel -> user calls

an example you probably see all the time without realizing it: custom drawn menus. menus are regular windows, except their implementation runs in kernel mode. if a menu row is marked for custom drawing, the menu implementation has to call the owner window of the menu to perform the drawing. this means calling back to user mode from kernel mode. you can keep nesting callbacks until you run out of kernel stack, which is why UI threads get bigger kernel stacks

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

NFX posted:

Window menus are kernel objects and are rendered in kernel mode.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
But surely I can't crash the kernel by just calling CreateMenu() a bazillion times and never cleaning up?

That would as crazy as causing BSODs by closing a program at the wrong time.

Those posts by hackbunny are cool, by the way.

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
i freakin hate my coworker's code because it's full of poo poo like
C code:
*(((unsigned char *)(&temp))+3-i) = *(byte_conversion+(*((unsigned char *)padded_src+i+(current_block*4))));
is there some gcc flag I can add so when he writes unreadable garbage like this, it won't compile? or am i the idiot for not being able to understand this at a glance?

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

A long time ago (early XP times I think) I managed to find a BSOD (null ptr dereference) because of unvalidated parameters to one of the kernel-mode variants of StretchBlt. There is still a lot of bad poo poo there. Also I wish they rewrote win32k.sys so it didn't keep everything in a global state but... probably not going to happen anytime soon.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

NFX posted:

But surely I can't crash the kernel by just calling CreateMenu() a bazillion times and never cleaning up?

That would as crazy as causing BSODs by closing a program at the wrong time.

Those posts by hackbunny are cool, by the way.

Of course not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

i freakin hate my coworker's code because it's full of poo poo like
C code:
*(((unsigned char *)(&temp))+3-i) = 
    *(byte_conversion+(*((unsigned char *)padded_src+i+(current_block*4))));
is there some gcc flag I can add so when he writes unreadable garbage like this, it won't compile? or am i the idiot for not being able to understand this at a glance?

That's some ugly-rear end workarounds for type punning, I think. I've played games like that when dealing with structured data on the wire, but I try to isolate it to a single function that's very clearly unpacking a char* buf into a C-struct.

I think it's doing this:
C code:
unsigned char offset;
memcpy(&offset, (unsigned char *)padded_src +i + current_block*4, 1);
memcpy((unsigned char *)&temp+3-i, byte_conversion+offset, 1);        
None of that explains why the mess is doing what it's doing, but at least the different steps are somewhat easier to follow. It's still awful and there's no excuse for it in 1990, much less 2014. It'd probably be easier to just explain what the code is actually doing:

C code:
/* <coworker> has volunteered to maintain this mess forever. */