Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dropping a new JIT onto 4.5.2 apps is ridiculous. I can't believe they did that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

Dropping a new JIT onto 4.5.2 apps is ridiculous. I can't believe they did that.

I never understood the rationale behind .NET 4.x>0 being a replacement for all versions of .NET 4.x-n. It tends to scare folks off of even installing .NET 4.x>0, for good reasons.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
.NET 4.6 was officially released 8 days ago so actually there's no need to trip all over yourselves to upgrade to it before they fix this bug. You can't even use it on Azure yet.

The JIT causes the wrong values to get passed to methods under specific circumstances. That is a very insidious bug.

If your system is important, the new version doesn't even have to have known severe bugs for it to be a good idea to wait for a bit! Seriously.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

fleshweasel posted:

If your system is important, the new version doesn't even have to have known severe bugs for it to be a good idea to wait for a bit! Seriously.

This I can fully get behind.

LOOK I AM A TURTLE
May 22, 2003

"I'm actually a tortoise."
Grimey Drawer

fleshweasel posted:

.NET 4.6 was officially released 8 days ago so actually there's no need to trip all over yourselves to upgrade to it before they fix this bug. You can't even use it on Azure yet.

The JIT causes the wrong values to get passed to methods under specific circumstances. That is a very insidious bug.

The most interesting part of this is that Windows 10 is due to be released tomorrow, and I believe it will include this broken 4.6 version of the runtime by default. I guess they'll patch it pretty quickly though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ithaqua posted:

I never understood the rationale behind .NET 4.x>0 being a replacement for all versions of .NET 4.x-n. It tends to scare folks off of even installing .NET 4.x>0, for good reasons.

It avoids people needing to install 15 versions of .NET 4.x in order to run all their apps.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Subjunctive posted:

I guarantee that there are SDETs in Redmond

wrong!

Gul Banana
Nov 28, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

looks like ryujit has big enough performance improvements that they wanted to be able to go "hey, we made Everything faster!"

in-place installs are definitely annoying. they don't actually provide full changelogs from release to release, so we find out stuff like "the enumeration of SystemColors used by DataGrid controls has added a new member for deselected-highlight in .NET 4.5, breaking this app written against 4.0 which was attempting to override highlighting" post facto. however, this is what .net core and its sidebyside installs are intended to solve..

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Gul Banana posted:

looks like ryujit has big enough performance improvements that they wanted to be able to go "hey, we made Everything faster!"

Sure, so drop the 4.6.1.3 JIT on them, or make it opt-in.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:
We were talking about ternaries earlier, no?

code:
return new Entry(
                txtID.getText().isEmpty() ? null : Integer.parseInt(txtID.
                getText()),
                txtHomePhone.getText().isEmpty() ? ""
                : Util.stripPhone(txtHomePhone.getText()),
                txtCellPhone.getText().isEmpty() ? ""
                : Util.stripPhone(txtCellPhone.getText()),
                txtAltPhone.getText().isEmpty() ? ""
                : Util.stripPhone(txtAltPhone.getText()),
                txtName.getText().isEmpty() ? "" : txtName.getText(),
                txtEmail.getText().isEmpty() ? "" : txtEmail.getText(),
                txtAddress.getText().isEmpty() ? "" : txtAddress.getText(),
                txtCity.getText().isEmpty() ? "" : txtCity.getText(),
                dcLastCall.getDate() == null ? null : new java.sql.Date(dcLastCall.
                getDate().getTime()),
                dcPickupDate.getDate() == null ? null : new java.sql.Date(dcPickupDate.
                getDate().getTime()),
                txtDriver.getText().isEmpty() ? "" : txtDriver.getText(),
                txtNotes.getText().isEmpty() ? "" : txtNotes.getText());

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

AuxPriest posted:

txtDriver.getText().isEmpty() ? "" : txtDriver.getText()
the ones like that are my favorites. i guess they just did it because they wanted all the lines to look the same, but the dumbness is particularly poignant here

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Soricidus posted:

the ones like that are my favorites. i guess they just did it because they wanted all the lines to look the same, but the dumbness is particularly poignant here

I've seen the same thing with null coalescing in C#: var foo = SomeMethod() ?? SomeMethod();

The guy that wrote it could not explain his rationale for this and failed code review.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

AuxPriest posted:

We were talking about ternaries earlier, no?

code:
return new Entry(
                txtID.getText().isEmpty() ? null : Integer.parseInt(txtID.
                getText()),
                txtHomePhone.getText().isEmpty() ? ""
                : Util.stripPhone(txtHomePhone.getText()),
                txtCellPhone.getText().isEmpty() ? ""
                : Util.stripPhone(txtCellPhone.getText()),
                txtAltPhone.getText().isEmpty() ? ""
                : Util.stripPhone(txtAltPhone.getText()),
                txtName.getText().isEmpty() ? "" : txtName.getText(),
                txtEmail.getText().isEmpty() ? "" : txtEmail.getText(),
                txtAddress.getText().isEmpty() ? "" : txtAddress.getText(),
                txtCity.getText().isEmpty() ? "" : txtCity.getText(),
                dcLastCall.getDate() == null ? null : new java.sql.Date(dcLastCall.
                getDate().getTime()),
                dcPickupDate.getDate() == null ? null : new java.sql.Date(dcPickupDate.
                getDate().getTime()),
                txtDriver.getText().isEmpty() ? "" : txtDriver.getText(),
                txtNotes.getText().isEmpty() ? "" : txtNotes.getText());

is it laid out like this in the original? It's full of silliness, but it wouldn't look so bad if it were laid out in a sane manner.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Ithaqua posted:

I've seen the same thing with null coalescing in C#: var foo = SomeMethod() ?? SomeMethod();

The guy that wrote it could not explain his rationale for this and failed code review.

"Are you sure you're not null?"

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Ithaqua posted:

I don't know c#, is it possible the function had side effects or internal state and would that make a difference?

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.

fritz posted:

I don't know c#, is it possible the function had side effects or internal state and would that make a difference?

It's definitely possible but I can't think of any reasonable scenario where it'd be the case.

FrantzX
Jan 28, 2007

Newf posted:

It's definitely possible but I can't think of any reasonable scenario where it'd be the case.

An I/O request with a decent chance of failure. Web, serial port, etc.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

fritz posted:

Definitely possible, also possible in a multithreaded scenario. This wasn't one of those scenarios, though, and even if it were there are much better ways of handling it.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Not a coding horror exactly but I was talking to an older guy who teaches web design & development at a community college, told him I mostly do JavaScript and PHP since I work with Wordpress, he told me to learn Python because PHP is coded in Python and stands for "Python Hypertext Processor" :confused:

He did also say he's trying to teach his kids node.js and other modern stuff while the rest of the faculty teaches Dreamweaver so maybe his heart is in the right place at least

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

my bony fealty posted:

Not a coding horror exactly but I was talking to an older guy who teaches web design & development at a community college, told him I mostly do JavaScript and PHP since I work with Wordpress, he told me to learn Python because PHP is coded in Python and stands for "Python Hypertext Processor" :confused:

He did also say he's trying to teach his kids node.js and other modern stuff while the rest of the faculty teaches Dreamweaver so maybe his heart is in the right place at least

Does he think that node is written in C# and stands for .NET Opensource Development Environment?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

fritz posted:

That would make it worse.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

my bony fealty posted:

I just --- what?

I'm hoping he was just next-level trolling you because otherwise .. what?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I think he confused Perl with Python. Obviously, PHP is coded in Perl.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I heard this before, I guess it's some weird disinformation unintentionally caused by PyHP: http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyhp/

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I think he confused Perl with Python. Obviously, PHP is coded in Perl.

No, you have that backwards, Perl is the PHP Engine and Runtime Libraries.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

my bony fealty posted:

Funnily enough, I've heard the same thing...from a guy who teaches some computery stuff at a community college!

I wonder what the source of this confusion is.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
The acronym expansion for PHP is recursive, PHP is Pure Hell. Like Wine.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Woodsy Owl posted:

no it's Pretty Horrible PHP

LOOK I AM A TURTLE
May 22, 2003

"I'm actually a tortoise."
Grimey Drawer
Lisp Is Seriously PHP
APL: PHP, Literally

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
PHP: Herpes Personified

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

LOOK I AM A TURTLE posted:

APL: PHP, Literally

Man imagine what kind of horrors we'd get if people still used APL. That language is awe-inspiring and terrifying.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Don't some people use APL for parallel stuff?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
I'm sure somewhere someone uses it, but I think it's been mostly dead for decades now.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Poop Hpoop Poop.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

I still refer to this video because it's interestingly separated from how programming is today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9xAKttWgP4&hd=1

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Jewel posted:

I still refer to this video because it's interestingly separated from how programming is today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9xAKttWgP4&hd=1

I think I found the program that wins this round of "Game of Life Code Golf" at least.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

From another of his videos, here is the code for a sudoku solver:

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Pavlov posted:

From another of his videos, here is the code for a sudoku solver:

Lol spot the howler of a bug on line 8

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Woodsy Owl posted:

yeah but what does PPH stand for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Suspicious Dish posted:

yeah but what does PPH stand for

PPH stands for Hell is Pure PHP