Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Hughlander posted:

I have a custom domain with wildcard forwarding to my gmail account and I've found a few sites that won't allow their name in an email address. Ie: foobar.com rejects foobar@hughlander.com

This is probably a regex attempting to prevent people from getting their own registration system to email bomb themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Pudgygiant posted:

Hilarious (and slightly unrelated) story, you can set your out of office message on Outlook to CC a mail group you're a member of, and prior to Exchange 2010 this would do exactly what you think it does.
I read somewhere that approximately 10% of email is auto-reply loops. I've also read that approximately 90% of email is spam. I'm willing to believe both things.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I think I would walk out if I showed up to an interview and there were multiple candidates there.
Err what if the overachieving dude after you showed up really early?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

BigRedDot posted:

Their problem? That's no reason to start a group interview.
I may have been misinterpreting what "other candidate was there" meant.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Presumably the other candidate was there for the next/prior interview. Assuming he arrived at whatever time they agreed on, that means they are going over/under time. Implies a lack of realistic planning. Better not work there, their poo poo is outta control.
I'm not sure that's a good assumption. People show up early for job interviews all the time. Another candidate arriving early is not your (or the company's) fault.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Would it be legally permissible to sell the forums software or does the derivation-from-vbulletin license prohibit that?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Beef posted:

I'm surprised by the helpful part, does it also match unhelpful? :v:
Possibly not, but it does match "Thank you that was very helpful I can't understand this at all"

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Ender.uNF posted:

Always negotiate; I asked for 15% more and got 10% and almost tripled the signing bonus, which was on top of a really good first offer. No one offers to pay absolute top dollar in their initial offer, if for no other reason than planning for the candidates who do ask for more. I've never seen or heard of anyone being insulted by a counter offer; it's business, nothing more.
What's the credited response to exploding offers?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

TheresaJayne posted:

I read the comments, I loved this one - reminds me of previous roles....

I felt inspired to write this:
Python code:
#!/usr/bin/env python3
with open('runner.py', 'w') as f:
    f.write('#!/usr/bin/env python3\n')
    f.write('for x in range(1, 101):\n')
    f.write('    if (x == 0): print("fizzbuzz")\n')
    fizziness = 0
    barriness = 0
    for var in range(1, 101):
        fizziness += 1
        barriness += 1
        if fizziness == 3 and barriness == 5:
            fizziness = 0
            barriness = 0
            f.write('    elif (x == %s): print("fizzbuzz")\n' % var)
        elif fizziness == 3:
            fizziness = 0
            f.write('    elif (x == %s): print("fizz")\n' % var)
        elif barriness == 5:
            barriness = 0
            f.write('    elif (x == %s): print("buzz")\n' % var)
        else:
            f.write('    elif (x == %s): print(x)\n' % var)

import runner

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

eithedog posted:

The OCD in me is sad that it's not buzziness
Mmm, you're right. I'll have to setup Perforce and roll out an update.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

TinTower posted:

So there's a rumour going around that Windows 10 is so called because too many legacy applications have code along the lines of if(os.startswith("Windows 9")).

It wouldn't surprise me. :negative:

Why would this code exist? Was "Windows 9" used for something in the past?

edit: oh, duh, Windows 95 / Windows 98

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

ErIog posted:

Code doesn't exist in a vacuum. This code probably should be documented better, but it seems like an elegant way to achieve the goal the designers wanted to achieve.
Or it could have been written in a vacuum wholly untested with the author not realizing how weird it was, and ever since everyone's been afraid to change it because they don't understand it and nothing seems especially broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Soricidus posted:

Could someone who's arguing that tests can make good documentation please post an example of a test suite they'd like to use that way? I'm honestly interested to see what you have in mind.
The best argument for TDD is the Wine project. Or at least TDD within the Wine project.

The reason is fairly simple -- there's an absolute gold standard for what a "good test" is -- it's one that consistently passes on Windows, no matter how weird or hosed up or nonsensible it is. If Windows does it, we need to do it too.

Throughout its history the Wine project has learned that MSDN, the documentation for the API functions we're testing, is full of outright lies and nonmentions of bugs, and often applications rely on those bugs working a certain way. In this way Wine's code itself, and its corresponding test suite, can sometimes tell you more about what the Windows API does than MSDN.

This is all Wine-specific, of course -- users of the MSDN documentation aren't the people modifying the Windows source code, they're third parties. And Wine developers can't see the MS source code either. And most projects can't have such an easy definition of "good test".