Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

king_kilr
May 25, 2007

PrBacterio posted:

Now if only the C++ compiler optimized tail calls not to use any stack space :eng99:

Uhh, most do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

king_kilr
May 25, 2007

Plorkyeran posted:

There's a difference between invalid input and input that has to be escaped. "gently caress you" in a phone number field should probably be rejected by the UI, but "O'Connor" in a name field certainly shouldn't be rejected. It might need to be escaped prior to being sent to the database, but that should be handled by the code that actually calls the database, not some higher level module.

Sanitizing DB inputs is a coding horror. Prepared statements guys, or are you all 12 year old PHP script kiddies.

king_kilr
May 25, 2007

Painless posted:

First rule of optimization: assume that your compiler was written in 1983 by an army of white collared chimps with typewriters
Second rule of optimization (follows from first): there's a massive difference between i++ and ++i, especially for primitives
Third rule of optimization: god the neck of this bottle feels amazing in my rear end

Well those are good, but I prefer mine

First rule is READ THE loving ASSEMBLY. Second rule is PROFILE YOUR loving poo poo. The third rule is interchange 1 and 2 as approrpiate.

king_kilr
May 25, 2007

Janin posted:

The entire point of using tabs is so that it'll look different if somebody changes their editor's tab size. Some people like 2-space indentation, some people like 8-space; tabs let them both use whatever size they want.

If your editor treats a block of spaces like tabs, that's the horror.

That's create, excecpt how do you format this:

code:
var my_crap = func_call(foo,
                        bar)

king_kilr
May 25, 2007

Janin posted:

Your tax dollars and a summer intern

Jesus. Christ. It at this moment I thank god that all of my coworkers are not only competent, but exceptional. We have no coding horrors (at least compared to the poo poo in this thread).

king_kilr
May 25, 2007
mysql_real_escape_string is one of the greatest coding horrors of the modern error. Is there a fake escape string?

king_kilr
May 25, 2007

Otto Skorzeny posted:

PHP's 'default' mysql interface is a thin wrapper over mysql's C api. Said C api originally had the mysql_escape_string function, which was found to be buggy in that it had a shitton of vulnerabilities. The mysql devs deprecated (but didn't remove iirc) the function, and added a 'fixed' mysql_real_escape_string function. The PHP devs followed this change in the mysql C api in their interface to mysql. So there are two horrors here, in addition to the rather curious choice of any informed developer to not use prepared statements (aka parameterized queries). Incidentally, if you're stuck with PHP, you can use prepared statements via the mysqli module.

Wait they left an API with KNOWN SECURITY VULNERABILITIES in? I've accused them of incompetence before, but that's just negligence in the extreme.

king_kilr
May 25, 2007
MySQL is a coding horror. Is it possible to use a subquery yet ;)

king_kilr
May 25, 2007

Janin posted:

Uh, yes? Subqueries were added over 6 years ago.

Oh sorry, I meant without using an on disk temporary table and killing all performance.

king_kilr
May 25, 2007

necrobobsledder posted:

I'm going to just put out a minor coding "horror" I used to try to write in C when I was just starting out as a wee lad.

code:
if (low <= x <= upper) {
  /* do stuff */
}
Everyone kept telling me programming was math so I tried to write an expression and then programmers tell me programming isn't math :smith:
There's a good number of very expensive enterprise software products I won't name that do this to support custom datatypes.

Python, gently caress yeah. :eng101:

king_kilr
May 25, 2007
a) It's not doing 20 billion anythings (no idea where you got that).

b) Hitting disk 200,000 times is quite a few, I hope you've got that wrapped in a transaction ;)

king_kilr
May 25, 2007

Kilson posted:

If IssueNumberSequence.find_by_number() is O(n) in the sequence length, then it takes approximately 20 billion comparisons to fill the sequence.

Uhh, doubtful. It's far more likely to be O(lg n).

king_kilr
May 25, 2007
Not sure how to describe the coding horrors I've seen, but I'm consulting on a legal case, and jesus christ. <redacted>'s source code is a loving cluster gently caress, the core of the application is inside some shared library that thye don't even have the source for.

king_kilr
May 25, 2007
Jesus christ my office just coding horror'd me. Normally I *love* the guys I work with, I read this thread and think "thank god my coworkers don't do this poo poo". I was out of the office today, I get back and a) all my tests are failing, b) there's duplicated functionality, c) they've got copy-paste of themselves. Did someone replace my coworkers with idiots?

king_kilr
May 25, 2007

Spazmo posted:

The real horror is using strcmp in the first place. strncmp is far safer.

Comparison functions shouldn't return on first difference to avoid timing attacks on password comparison.

... your default comparison function doesn't need to be written for cryptographic security, you have a special function to do that. You think the default strcmp should iterate over my 1 million char string just for funsies?

And it further has dick-all to do with passwords, passwords should be hashed, it's for tokens and other such things that *are* plaintext.

king_kilr
May 25, 2007

Internet Janitor posted:

Oh boy almost ran out of memory! Lemme just allocate a couple objects to deal with the probl-

I don't know about Java, but CPython at least preallocated an OutOfMemory exception.

king_kilr
May 25, 2007
If you think that's a coding horror, your codebase is probably ok. I can think of a totally valid reason for that. The Color class isn't under your control and features general color management things, for your app you want to have a consistant UI, and you're starting with their definitions of what constitutes DARK GREEN, but that might be changed in the future.

king_kilr
May 25, 2007

b0lt posted:

Strings are immutable in C# like in java, why would it allocate a new string?

Because otherwise you need to keep a ref to the old string, which depending on the relative sizes of the strings could be bad.

king_kilr
May 25, 2007
It's amazing... not once does he actually use o[0].

king_kilr
May 25, 2007

Vaginal Engineer posted:

I don't know how terrible they are, but this is the standard for a number of mathematical languages inlcuding Maple and Magma.

lua's another one. http://userweb.cs.utexas.edu/users/EWD/transcriptions/EWD08xx/EWD831.html

king_kilr
May 25, 2007

snare posted:

Database credentials. As in those used by the application to connect to the database, not those used by a user to authenticate with the application.

Those would be a problem too though.

king_kilr
May 25, 2007
I've never been responsible for employee interviews before, but if I ever am, I'm asking a question about how the candidate feels about type coercions.

king_kilr
May 25, 2007

Hammerite posted:

are you going to ask that in order to see whether they agree with you, or to see what knowledge they display about the subject and what reasoning they give for their opinion?

Both.

king_kilr
May 25, 2007

gibbed posted:

Why is this a horror?

I'm assuming you mean something besides the argument names.

Real horror spotted.

king_kilr
May 25, 2007

Wheany posted:

$get = sqlInjectionProtect($_GET);

Pack it up, go home folks, this is the ultimate horror.

king_kilr
May 25, 2007

ymgve posted:

Might not be a horror (except for the fact that they're probably not used parameterized queries) - I assume the function does something like "Check if gpc_magic_quotes is enabled, if not, do manual escape of all variables."

Uhh, escaping on insertion is definitely a horror. You don't escape input data. Ever.

king_kilr
May 25, 2007

NotShadowStar posted:

Sometimes you don't have a choice. I had to work on a RedHat Enterprise Linux box for a long time. Here's the thing about RedHat: they gently caress with standard libraries however they want so they're pretty much incompatible with anything outside of RedHat land. In this case, they had their own version of PHP 4.1 in which they EXPLICITLY DISABLED THE MYSQLI FUNCTIONS at compile time. I tried recompiling my own version of PHP but something else would randomly break on the system when I did so. So I couldn't do bound parameter statements and had to be stuck escaping SQL statements.

Goddamn I'm so glad to not have to deal with that ever again.

Oh my god, it's like a meta-horror.

king_kilr
May 25, 2007

Vanadium posted:

Did the C++ thread not just tell a guy to go ahead with lots of string comparisons instead of bothering with a hashmap or whatever

Are we talking about the thing where someone recommended some god-forsaken academic wackadoo datastruture that was completely inappropriate in place of a hashtable?

king_kilr
May 25, 2007
From a client's project: in the test suite there are lovely blocks like:

code:
def my_test(self):
    try:
        call_some_function()
    except:
        print "failed"
and other such idiotic poo poo. I want to loving kill this client.

king_kilr
May 25, 2007

Orzo posted:

You make it sound like writing something to eliminate 'dead code' is trivial. It isn't. You have to be extremely careful when writing an optimization like that since it's so dramatic (removing entire blocks of code). Who knows what the internal implementation is? All we know is that adding some things makes it not work anymore, and even if they look like completely trivial additions, it's entirely plausible that the algorithm pessimistically gives up (as it should) rather than making the statement that Microsoft is cheating (poorly) on one of many, many browser tests.

Or maybe you were just making a humorous statement that wasn't meant to be taken seriously, either way I'm just trying to point out how absurd the argument against Microsoft here is.

As someone who works on a JIT, this is a crock of poo poo. The "optimization" fails in such hilarious ways it's exceptionally clear (IMO) that they either a) wrote the optimization without any consideration for the semantics of javascript, or b) wrote it specifically for this test.

king_kilr
May 25, 2007

Munkeymon posted:

What would you expect the logical and of two arrays to be?

I'd expect an array, in a boolean context, to evaluate as bool(array.length). Javascript has this lovely thing where one item arrays are equivalent to array[0].

king_kilr
May 25, 2007

Hammerite posted:

The whole "omg PHP type-juggling" thing is a bit of a dead horse isn't it? Yeah it's not always terribly consistent, it's meant to allow you to Get poo poo Done quickly. It's not necessarily optimised for that, but it doesn't do too badly. It does give you ways to compare things carefully when you need to do so.

The main comparison-operator complaint I have about PHP is that if you want to check whether a variable exists and is null, you have to use array_key_exists($var, $GLOBALS). You can't use isset() (because it returns false if the variable is set but is null) and you can't use is_null() (because it returns true if the variable doesn't exist) (you still shouldn't use is_null even if it didn't do this, mind, because it will cause unset variable notices).

Yeah, I forgot "gently caress my life" == 0 really helps make websites faster :?:

king_kilr
May 25, 2007
http://codahale.com/how-to-safely-store-a-password/

king_kilr
May 25, 2007

evensevenone posted:

I pretty much assume that any password I use for a website that isn't a bank or something that hires real auditors could be hacked and stolen. Doubly so if the site was written in php.

Yeah one of my banks has a character limit for passwords. It's great knowing the golf social networking site my company wrote likely has better password security than my bank.

king_kilr
May 25, 2007
tuples are immutable, that is the objects they contain can't change, but there's no requirement that the objects they point to be immutable.

king_kilr
May 25, 2007

PrBacterio posted:

No the actual horror here is, why on earth does Python try to do a no-op assignment in this case after already having modified the list in-place?

If you think about how += should be implemented on immutable objects for about a quarter of a second you'd figure it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

king_kilr
May 25, 2007

MutantBlue posted:

You've found the one thing that PHP is good for.

It's not even classy looking.

code:
print open(__file__).read().strip()