Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen of Beans
Jun 15, 2007
A method. pHouseNumber is passed as a string that is the first "word" of the first line of the address. This error was being caught then re-thrown without the call stack about 4 times. One of those bugs that broke a lot of things. About an hour to finally hunt it down and then another hour of glaring at it wishing death on the previous developer.

If Not String.IsNullOrEmpty(pHouseNumber) AndAlso CInt(pHouseNumber) > 0 Then

(For non VB.NET devs: CInt casts as int, AndAlso is a short-circuit AND evaluation)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen of Beans
Jun 15, 2007

Lysidas posted:

I haven't used VB.NET, only VBscript -- does cint still clamp the value to a 16-bit signed integer (i.e. -32768 to 32767)? :suicide:

Fortunately we now have real ints (thank gently caress for the .NET framework, saviour of business developers everywhere)

Queen of Beans
Jun 15, 2007
I wasted far too much time today hunting down a reference issue.

I was developing in Solution A, which threw a MissingMethodException deep in our DB layer when installed on a QA machine. Turns out that our main ORM project (home grown, of course) was referencing the buiid output of Solution B, which again had a file reference to the wrong version of the DB layer. The installer was installing the right version then overwriting with the wrong version.

Took me FAR too much digging with AsmSpy to find it. and it would really help if people had ever bumped version numbers in anything ever.

Oh well, only a couple of weeks left.

Queen of Beans
Jun 15, 2007

Ithaqua posted:

Installers are a terrible idea for anything that's not user-facing. Ideally, you'd have automated builds and releases where this kind of thing would pop right out at you. Binary reference where you should be using a project reference? Build failure.

This would be lovely, but my boss not a very smart or forward thinking kinda guy, so the chances of any kind of CI is just thrown out the window.

The app isn't actually for users, it's for headless machines and is essentially just a couple of Windows services talking to each other over WCF, which made deployment even more fun.

But yeah, the place sucks, the processes don't even exist to suck and it's all held down with arbitrary rules ("Don't use MVC, it doesn't scale", "WebAPI is a complete mess so don't use that either", "A shared Outlook inbox is more than enough for a Helpdesk team of 3 people", "3 Helpdesk/QA staff is more than enough for 18 devs" and "Serialization sucks because it [CPU and memory load] kills web servers"), so I did the whole YOTJ thing a couple of months back and am just working through my notice period before starting a new job with a Gold partner who are paying me nearly 2x as much.

Edit: Forgot my favourite feature of the whole job! Visual SourceSafe 6.0 for EVERYTHING. I'm surprised it even supports long filenames.

Queen of Beans fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 7, 2014

Queen of Beans
Jun 15, 2007

pigdog posted:

:what:

That sentence doesn't make any sense.

Sorry, wasn't trying to say that CI requires Serialization, I was calling my boss a stupid dick