Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Zamujasa posted:

I might be misreading this, but it looks like an infinite recursion, since if you give it a value of "EXAMPLE" it will try to return the result of IsNullOrEmpty("EXAMPLE".Trim()) (essentially, the same function call), which will call itself again and so on and so forth.

Nah. Hibame said this was in a custom StringUtil class, so the stack will just go StringUtil.IsNullOrEmpty("EXAMPLE") -> String.IsNullOrEmpty("EXAMPLE".Trim()).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

rjmccall posted:

I agree that it's wrong enough that nobody mistakes it for correct English meaning something else.

It's Indian English.

quote:

July 12, 2006
Vishy's Indian English Dictionary: doubt

doubt. /DOWT/. A question asking for clarification. In standard English and American, the noun doubt is uncountable and refers to a lack of complete trust in something. Doubt may be expressed as simply as doubting someone's abilities or as profoundly as someone doubting their own religious faith. Not so in India. In India, doubt can be used as a countable noun. When a school teacher goes over an intricate concept in class, she invariably leaves some students with doubts in their mind about their understanding of the material just covered. Students ask her questions to get a better understanding of the concept and each such question is called a doubt. It is entirely normal to hear a statement like "I have just one doubt, miss" or "If you have any doubts before the exam tomorrow, come see me in the staff room".
http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/2429/can-doubt-sometimes-mean-question

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

npe posted:

Maybe e-discovery is a horrors thread unto itself, though.

It is. At the intersection of the "Coding Horrors" and the "Started off Barrister, Ended Up Barista" threads.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Jonah Hex posted:

Saw this and shook my head. Can you spot the problem(s)?
code:
#define MILLISECONDS_PER_SECOND 1000
LARGE_INTEGER time, freq;
LONGLONG timestamp;
time = KeQueryPerformanceCounter(&freq);
timestamp = (time.QuadPart/freq.QuadPart)*MILLISECONDS_PER_SECOND;

Most critically, time / freq is done in an integer context, isn't it? - http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6517435/dividing-unsigned-long-long

Also, I can figure out how many milliseconds there are in a second without that define, but if you must.

And you should probably multiply before dividing if you're gonna do that.

ulmont fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 27, 2014

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

What's that about?

Wikipedia claims it's more because those templates are used so frequently that even temporary vandalism would be catastrophic:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:High-risk_templates

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Skuto posted:

That's the sane behavior...which JS can never ever get.

Is there any real reason to support octal literals (as opposed to math functions that handle arbitrary bases) anymore?

I know they look neat for some bit twiddling, but hex is always there for that as well.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Zorro KingOfEngland posted:

Comments are mine. One exception shows up in the log 6 times, in slightly different forms.

I was trying to speed up a server of mobile phone (at the time, mostly WAP) applications in the early 2000s. I discovered, at one point, that through logging of this sort one single WAP request would generate around 10MB of debugging information...

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

het posted:

I used SOS but I thought it was just a third party VSS client (don't get me wrong, VSS is definitely awful)

I think there are multiple SOS source controls. This one appears designed for hardware development:
http://www.cliosoft.com/news/stortek/snug00.htm
(and looks like that may be the 2000-era UI):
http://www.cliosoft.com/products.php
http://www.semiwiki.com/forum/content/2011-brief-history-cliosoft.html

SourceOffSite from Sourcegear, on the other hand, I think is just VSS:
https://sourcegear.com/sos/

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Less Fat Luke posted:

Can you elaborate on that a bit? I'm familiar with both and I'm used to having applications in the Ruby world that generally load an application and fork a bunch of worker processes (because LOL at Ruby threading) but I'm not sure what it means to fork() without exec().
There are some details here:

quote:

The environment in the child process is harsh and makes it difficult to write correct code to run there. Anything you do beyond a direct call to an exec function has to be done with great care. That's why the error handling code is written the way it is.
https://mikeash.com/pyblog/friday-qa-2012-01-20-fork-safety.html

quote:

In my opinion there are so many problems with fork(2) in multi-threaded programs that it's almost impossible to do it right. The only clear case is to call execve(2) in the child process just after fork(2). If you want to do something more, just do it some other way, really. From my experience it's not worth trying to make the fork(2) call save, even with pthread_atfork().
http://www.linuxprogrammingblog.com/threads-and-fork-think-twice-before-using-them

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Probably - I've seen that link in this thread before.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

In boonie parts of the US people don't have house numbers. Instead they have coordinates.

I used to live at "Rt. 4, Box 352", which was just stop number 352 on the mail carrier's route number 4.

E-911 mostly killed off route numbers though.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

KernelSlanders posted:

Not to go all Schmiegel on you, but... it hurts us...

Sméagol. :ughh:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

This story is unfamiliar to me.

Charles Babbage posted:

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

pokeyman posted:

I must be missing the part of this trademark that covers a dozen lines of JavaScript to poorly pad strings:

Without getting into excruciatingly boring detail:

1) Trademark infringement is based on comparing a number of factors to determine if consumers will confuse two marks. Having the same name for two software products from different sources could very likely be confusing.

2) Case law says that a trademark owner does not actually have to defend their trademark against all potential infringers, although there is a risk that a) their trademark may become a generic term and then be unprotectable (most famously aspirin, although there are other examples) or b) the owner may after enough time be unable to eventually enforce their rights against a particular person.

Disclaimer: the above is generic information from a US perspective.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Zemyla posted:

Threads are terrible, and the only thing worse is not having them and having to fake them. Back when I was doing DOS programming, there were lots of C libraries where cooperative multithreading was faked with setjmp/longjmp. Every one of them had their own unique... well, "quirks" was the most charitable word for it.

I had to write one of those libraries in college. As best I can recall we would have aspired to only have "quirks."

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

VikingofRock posted:

I hope everyone is contemplating gentians on this fine nonidi of 19 Thermidor 224!

Wall calendar available now,* citoyen!
https://www.etsy.com/shop/JacobinCalendar

*Soon, after the reprint, anyway.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Pretty sure both have been posted here before, but helpful links regarding floating point:

1) A long (16 part) series with more than you would ever want to know about floating point weirdnesses.
https://randomascii.wordpress.com/2012/02/25/comparing-floating-point-numbers-2012-edition/

2) What Every Computer Scientist Should Know About Floating-Point Arithmetic
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19957-01/806-3568/ncg_goldberg.html

3) Simplified version of 2)
http://floating-point-gui.de/

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

xzzy posted:

Decimal time. Let's try it again. :colbert:

What do you man, again? Today is Black Salsify day in the Foggy month of the 225th year!

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Asymmetrikon posted:

I can't really figure out what exactly he means by Turing completeness, because nothing he writes about it bears any familiarity to what it actually is.

What he's saying is that the python team is either incompetent or evil for not making a perfect 2-3 translator or better yet a way to run python 2 on the python 3 vm.

Turing completeness is just short handing that it should have been possible.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

JewKiller 3000 posted:

*puts a \0 in your "opaque" string*

Works out if you're in the NT kernel, since it uses counted strings per the linked article.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

sarehu posted:

That it'd be undefined behavior is a good thing, because the standard abs function is undefined on -INT_MIN too.

Not for current Java or C# (admittedly true for gnu libc though). The former returns Integer.MIN_VALUE, while the latter throws an OverflowException.

...abs(double x) has even more special cases to include.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

:neckbeard:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

of all the cool things to emulate about UNIX, why signals and its lovely process model

It looked like the goal was to be able to just cross-compile (or w/e) an existing Linux distribution to run in a web browser, with all that entails.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

i don't see a goal in there

I think these are the same kind of people that run programs under Cygwin in Wine on a Linux box.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

xtal posted:

Still don't get it

For at least the Classical Latin period, "vici" would be pronounced as English now pronounces "wiki".

So, someone will start the "vici" for RFC V̅MMMXLIX (8049, which is the next RFC number).

E: one day I will remember to refresh a thread before responding.

ulmont fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 3, 2017

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

C++ code:
auto error = complicatedAPICall(data);
if (error == ERROR_TYPE_I_AM_TRYING_TO_HANDLE)
{
  TYPE dataFixed = handleThisErrorTake9(data);
  auto error = complicatedAPICall(dataFixed);
}
assert(error == NO_ERROR);
Any of you want to guess why I kept triggering the assert?

Does the "auto error" inside the if lose scope at the end of the if block, leaving you with the previous error that we already know is bad?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

canis minor posted:

But it's a string, it's not timestamp, since my confusion.

It's a timestamp or it would be shown as '10:00:00.

One way to concatenate is as noted to format the time:

=CONCATENATE("Time is ", TEXT(L2, "hh:mm:ss"), " WOW")

See also http://stackoverflow.com/questions/220672/convert-time-fields-to-strings-in-excel

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

Is this just a really bad joke or do you live in some weird country that actually uses a base-10 system of time?

Revolutionary France isn't weird, just dead.
http://mentalfloss.com/article/32127/decimal-time-how-french-made-10-hour-day

The calendar lives on, though.
https://www.frenchrepublicanwallcalendar.com/

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Jethro posted:

The magic has to stop somewhere, and a function that depends on you knowing what string means is as good a place as any and probably better than most.

This is almost exactly (date versus time) the scenario Excel uses in its example of the TEXT function.
https://support.office.com/en-us/article/TEXT-function-20d5ac4d-7b94-49fd-bb38-93d29371225c

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

NtotheTC posted:

I know it's a Joel on Software story but I was always fascinated by the lengths Microsoft went to for backwards compatibility

Raymond Chen did a lot of work on this. Here's another story:

quote:

There was a popular MS-DOS game from 1994 that didn't run in Windows 95. After some investigation, the conclusion was that the game didn't work if your computer had more than 16MB of memory (physical, if running under MS-DOS; virtual, if running under Windows). The 16MB limit comes into play because the game was written for the 80286 processor, and that processor supports a maximum of 16MB of RAM. I guess that when the game found more than 16MB of memory, it didn't know what to do with the extra memory; maybe it overflowed a buffer, or a calculation overflowed. Whatever. Doesn't matter.

We fixed the problem by creating a custom configuration for that game that said, "Never give this program more than 16MB of memory."

This case was interesting because the custom configuration means that the program runs better under Windows 95 than it does under raw MS-DOS: Under raw MS-DOS, it would have crashed!
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20160418-00/?p=93307

Another one here for Speed Racer in the Challenge of Racer X:
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20160404-00/?p=93261

ulmont fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 3, 2017

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Jabor posted:

Java has a similar debate around import statements. In Java, you can import a single class:
code:
import java.util.List;
This allows you to use "List" to refer to java.util.List, without doing the same for every other class in the java.util package. You can also import an entire package:

Such "wildcard imports" are generally considered to be bad form, because you're bringing a whole lot of names into scope that you're not actually using, and you have the potential for your code to suddenly break because one your dependencies got updated and now there's a new type in one of those packages. Instead, good form is to explicitly import only the types that your code uses.

In Java specifically, Java version 1.2 was the first wildcard apocalypse. There was already a java.awt.List, so anything that did the below might compile under Java 1.0 or 1.1, but broke under 1.2.
code:
import java.awt.*;
import java.util.*;

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Munkeymon posted:

Which presumably only became an issue because there were no generic lists, right? When did Java get those, again?

Java got generic (in the sense of generally useable, not in the sense of just a collections API) lists in Java 1.2, but the actual templating feature came later.

edit: and the templating feature is basically syntactic sugar for casting from Object on the way out of the collection.

ulmont fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 1, 2017

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Munkeymon posted:

Oh well derp I assumed AWT had its own local-types-specific List implementation for some reason. I think some .Net modules did that back in the dark, dark pre-generics days (but without name conflicts), so maybe that's why I jumped to that conclusion.

Ah, no. Here's two java.awt.Lists:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

CPColin posted:

(Now that the behavior is defined, it's documented, right?)

...the behavior is still not defined - the ordering can be anything.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I've been arguing for this position for awhile. Nobody ever agreed with me before. :saddowns:

I agreed with you without ever having the conversation, and I think China did as well.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

eth0.n posted:

Isn't

C code:
x = x++
undefined behavior, by itself? I.e., should x be set to x + 1 (via the increment), or to the original x (since that's what the post-increment returns)?

It depends on your language. In C# and Java (and presumably most non-C languages) that is specified.

In C it is undefined. http://c-faq.com/expr/ieqiplusplus.html

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Munkeymon posted:

Can't remember where I read it but javac is supposedly a lovely, low-effort compiler and the JIT is doing the real work and emitting very different JVM instructions.

This is deliberate - compile-time optimization gets in the way of JIT-time optimization.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/13611829/why-javac-does-not-optimize-even-simple-code
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/ibm/library/it-haggar_bytecode/

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

I still don’t understand how 64-bit is somehow different between Javascript and anywhere else. :psyduck:

quote:

JavaScript Numbers are Always 64-bit Floating Point
Unlike many other programming languages, JavaScript does not define different types of numbers, like integers, short, long, floating-point etc.

JavaScript numbers are always stored as double precision floating point numbers, following the international IEEE 754 standard.
Integers (numbers without a period or exponent notation) are accurate up to 15 digits.
https://www.w3schools.com/js/js_numbers.asp

Unlike, say, .NET, where a long integer is a signed 64-bit integer, and not a floating point value.

quote:

long -9,223,372,036,854,775,808 to 9,223,372,036,854,775,807 Signed 64-bit integer
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/csharp/language-reference/keywords/long

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

eth0.n posted:

Besides, the C++ naming is better because it describes them functionally, not by how they're implemented (so what if the specs all but demand certain implementation details).

Java describes functionality in the Interfaces: Collection (any order, may contain duplicates), Set (any order, no duplicates), List (ordered, generally allows duplicates), Queue (basically a list with more access options), Deque (double-ended Queue), Map, SortedSet (ordered set), SortedMap (map ordered by key), and some even more esoteric funcationality.

The implementation details are described in the implementations: HashSet, TreeSet, LinkedHashSet, ArrayList, ArrayDeque, LinkedList, HashMap, TreeMap, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

hailthefish posted:

If anything, Java's the weird one for not having it.

Java had it during development, but then took it out before release.

quote:

2.2.6 No More Goto Statements
Java has no goto statement 1 . Studies illustrated that goto is (mis)used more often than not simply "because it's there". Eliminating goto led to a simplification of the language--there are no rules about the effects of a goto into the middle of a for statement, for example. Studies on approximately 100,000 lines of C code determined that roughly 90 percent of the goto statements were used purely to obtain the effect of breaking out of nested loops. As mentioned above, multi-level break and continue remove most of the need for goto statements.