Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Pollyanna posted:

Why are all the worst websites real-estate websites?

Trust me, as someone who has worked in the depths of corporate intranets, any website that has people visiting it is going to be far from "the worst". SQL injections as far as the eye could see, zero data validation, no cross-browser support, multiple java applets on one page, java applets at all, the horror... the horror...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

ToxicFrog posted:

...both of which require the sftp subsystem, the lack of which was the original horror ohgodwhat was complaining about. I was suggesting tar | ssh as an improvement over pasting poo poo into an X-forwarded text editor.

If you're doing X forwarding, you're running X locally, which is probably part of some large package like Cygwin or MKS that includes tar and command-line ssh. I figured it was at least worth suggesting.

I'm pretty sure that if you have SSH, you have SFTP (ie FTP over SSH). SCP is a program that can use different protocols (like SSH or FTP) to copy files. rsync is a utility that syncs the contents of directories, and also can use multiple protocols.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

ToxicFrog posted:

The SFTP subsystem can be enabled or disabled independently of the rest of the sshd, which will definitely disable 'sftp' and I thought would also disable 'scp' and 'rsync' (over ssh), although apparently I'm wrong about those latter two.

News to me. I guess I've just never seen that because it makes no sense (we are in the coding horrors thread after all) except as a method to piss sysadmins off.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

necrotic posted:

Yeah, but this is JavaScript.

So what's the huge problem with being able to declare a variable twice exactly? Isn't that what you would expect in JS?

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

eithedog posted:

just screams wrong wrong wrong.

Why? Why should the interpreter prevent you from setting the value of the variable twice?

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

eithedog posted:

Um... I didn't say that. You can do whatever you want with your variables, but it doesn't mean that certain things won't be awkward or unnecessary.

You said that it "just screams wrong wrong wrong". I'm asking why.

Because of the way variable scoping works in Javascript, there is a benefit (slash it is necessary) of being able to type var to redefine variables.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
ES6 is going to be even more awesome :)

http://code.tutsplus.com/tutorials/eight-cool-features-coming-in-es6--net-33175

I love JavaScript :D

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Dessert Rose posted:

I look forward to never being able to use any of this because everyone will still need to retain compatibility with older browsers.

IE 8 and IE 9 are really the only things left holding on to the whole "support every browser" crap. How long do you expect their life cycle to last?

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Manslaughter posted:

That is not eight features, and not all of them are cool.

Real edgy bud.

Hint: JavaScript ain't going anywhere (except becoming more popular of course), learn to love it

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Ender.uNF posted:

major corporations

Sounds like a poor career decision to me

Ephphatha posted:

We only just upgraded from IE6 (to IE8, thankfully skipping 7 with the move to Win 7).

careers.stackoverflow.com

down with slavery fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Mar 11, 2014

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
The first step to almost any CSS refactor is control+f for !important and removing them. It's so rare for that to actually be necessary (not sure I've ever seen a time, but I imagine it exists).

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

ping posted:

Written by my students, Computer Scientists at the end of their second year at a top 3 institution. Code for collision detection in a Pac Man clone.

Does it work?

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Typewriters were (are) awesome for being legible and clean

can you not read your computer screen?

also, you can wipe the cheeto dust off your screen, I wont tell

seriously, typewriters sucked trying to talk them up is hipster bullshit

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Skuto posted:

The people who think they can detect valid phone numbers via regexes are the same people who believe you can't have dashes in your name. This example is a horror, regexes or not.

The truth is that detecting valid phone numbers is a horror in of itself. Or better put "what is a valid phone number" is a question that's way harder to answer than appears at first glance. See also: recognizing an address

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Suspicious Dish posted:

Why is ArtStuff an event handler?

I think you're in the wrong thread

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Looks like an inverted chart of "what programming language should I choose first" answers

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Brain Candy posted:

If you can't replace an object with a different object you aren't doing OO.

If you exclusively program in OO you are a bad programmer.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

shodanjr_gr posted:

I'm about an hour in and I feel John Blow's talk on programming languages for gaming deserves at least partially to be in this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH9VCN6UkyQ

Thanks for this, awesome video

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Spatial posted:

Anyone used a source control system called SOS? 'Cause drat if this poo poo ain't aptly named.

Bigger horror: https://sourcegear.com/sos/documentation/pricing.html

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Newf posted:

I don't know if I see the problem here. How else would you suggest checking whether the evaluation of expression throws an exception?

code:

try {
  doThis()
} catch (anException) {
  doThat()
}

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
There's really no way to prevent a Snowden type leak though that I'm aware of. At the end of the day there will always be someone with a set of keys and if the person with the keys wants to release the data... it's going to happen.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
My only question is why

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Athas posted:

Same reason that Node.js is as popular as it is - people are too lazy to learn a new language.

Well I mean I can kinda understand node-webkit and its ilk. But what the gently caress is PHP good for there?

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Munkeymon posted:

For when you know PHP and don't feel like figuring out Node

Problem being that you're not building poo poo without Javascript... which is all you need to know to use node-webkit. There's really no "node" to figure out.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

I hope you were planning on finding a new job.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
Am I the only person who just hates switch statements of all kinds?

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
pretty much the entirety of nodeOS is a horror

and that's coming from a guy who actually uses node and enjoys it

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
</excel-tab> wtf is that

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Chill Callahan posted:

Java is actually a decent language. It's just that a lot of people using it are awful.

I too enjoy retarded amounts of keystrokes

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

DimpledChad posted:

It's not like you don't have an IDE to autocomplete everything for you. I can understand certain criticisms of Java, but that one just doesn't make sense.

Add "requires IDE to use in a reasonable way" to the list of joyous parts of Java

Internet Janitor posted:

Don't tell me, lemme guess- Java has too many keystrokes, but APL has too few keystrokes and whatever language is your favorite is just right.

I don't really have a favorite language but there's a very short list of "popular" languages that are worse than Java in my eyes (Visual Basic comes to mind).

Languages I'd rather write in than java (in semi-order):
Python
C#
C
JavaScript
PHP
C++
Perl

They all have their warts but "overly verbose" isn't one of them

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Pie Colony posted:

Why do you think this is a bad thing? IDEs are tools that are specifically designed to increase programmer productivity. They are a good thing (which isn't to say all IDEs are equally good).

Also, even if you don't like current IDEs, the best ideas are still ahead of us. What if you could run a debugger, encounter an error, then right there write some code to handle it, rewind the debugger a couple steps and re-do the operation?

I actually use IDEs and love them, but it's a pretty lovely language(imo) if using an IDE is "required" to work with it reasonably. Or at least not very fun to work with.

Beyond that, Java is used as a beginner language all the time which I really dislike. Python is a much better introduction to programming.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

The IDE is for the standard library, not really the "language"

The IDE in Java's case is to deal with the (amongst other things) absurd amount of boilerplate the language requires, which was my original complaint.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

sarehu posted:

Honestly Java without an IDE is fine. It's better than Python or Ruby (or any dynamically typed language) without an IDE.

The horror is coming from inside the thread

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Pavlov posted:

Is it strange that when they mentioned the perpendicular thing, my first response was, "I guess they need a non-euclidean surface" ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7MIJP90biM

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

qntm posted:

Actually I just dislike double negatives.

php:
<?
$amount_to_max = $carriercode == "FDX" ? $approvedamount : $totalcharges;
?>

please put parens around your conditionals

also, mixing underscores and no underscores

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

itskage posted:

I don't seem to have this in phpstorm, unless it's just not working.

select the method, right click, git -> show history for selection

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

loinburger posted:

My next job used Git and I've come to appreciate it, but the cargo cult is annoying.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

TheresaJayne posted:

Quote from a newspaper

Computers, advancing their clocks into the double-zero abyss of the new millennium, will plunge us into chaos. Power grids will fail, elevators will crash and pacemakers will stop midbeat.

Specifically, an article talking about how people are overplaying the "myth" of a Y2K apocalypse

http://www.newsweek.com/why-do-we-buy-myth-y2k-166590

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

I get that PHP is a fractal of horrors but pretty much every "WOW PHP IS BAD" post involves people just refusing to accept the way PHP handles loose comparisons.

idiot on stackoverflow posted:

if ($test['bit1column'])

no no no no no no

The mt_rand thing is an actual interesting horror