Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

benitocereno posted:

I'm convinced there's a whole subset of programmers that do this kind of thing just to gently caress with you. Gotta say though, after reading this thread, I'm convinced something like this would be more par for the course:

code:
public bool isTrue(bool _true)
{   
   if(_true != false)
   {
      _true = false;
   }

return _true;
}
PS. Gonna use that in something now :toot:

Am I missing something or will this always return false?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I had to double check if Parsecs was a thing.

What the hell software needs to go from nanometers to parsecs?

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Good luck at your next job revmoo.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

pseudorandom name posted:

I don't know what JavaScript interpreter has that >>> prompt, but it is defective.

JavaScript has positive and negative zeroes.

If the chrome dev tool console is a true javascript interpreter, [-0.0] is returning [0] for me.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

MEAT TREAT posted:

It makes sense when you consider the reduced number of technical support questions related to forgotten or mistyped passwords. A 16 character password would effecitvely take 16 million years to crack according to http://howsecureismypassword.net/

Ug, taking the caps out makes my blizzard password go from 10 day to 3 hours. I use an authenticator so I don't feel like I need a stronger password.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Internet Janitor posted:

If there's anything conducting interviews has taught me, it's that a shocking number of people with years of development experience on their resume have an extremely tenuous grasp of how to use loops in any language. Stuff like this is likely the product of trying random perturbations until the code seemed to be doing the right thing.

Amen brother.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

duz posted:

As long as you're not using insert time as the primary key like a vendor of ours does.

As long as the insertion mechanism is a human sitting at a desk running a sql script, this works! You can even hire more people to insert as demand grows! Webscale!

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Can't wait to pull a 400MB git repo into my browser.

necrotic posted:

no instead the single "project using this" is a browser based "IDE" https://wmhilton.github.io/nde/

It took over 4 seconds to load this page. What the hell. Even Sourcetree 2 loads faster than that.

poemdexter fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 16, 2018

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
This guy figured out how to be super popular in the javascript world by linking his tiny rear end projects together that don't really do anything. Good for him.

Edit: His only dev experience on his linked in profile is 6 years as a Full Stack Developer working on open source projects and thing stats on his projects. He's just trying to get paid to talk.

poemdexter fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 30, 2018

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
He's mastered the art of SEO for npm modules.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
https://www.linkedin.com/in/jonschlinkert

Seriously go look at his LinkedIn profile and see how much he brags about his open source developer credentials.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Thermopyle posted:

i kinda dont want to because it feels creepy.

Nothing creepy about looking at someone's linkedin account when discussing his professional contributions to the open source community.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Suspicious Dish posted:

I'm upset at the GitHub thing because they made an unprofitable company and are being rewarded with more Microsoft stock than the CEO. Like, maybe don't give the people who can't make sustainable file hosting $8 billion dollars???

Twitter is a publicly traded company and has never made a dollar in profit ever. The whole point of tech companies is to get acquired. That's the only exit strategy that exists.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Counterpoint: Amazon took like 15 years to post a profit, not because they didn't have a solid business but because they kept plowing their revenue back into the company.

Countercounterpoint: amazon actually sold a product.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Munkeymon posted:

Personally, I hate the relative stability of a business with any revenue stream whatsoever working on the stuff I depend on and vastly prefer hoping a bunch of random people just toss money or spare time at a thing because that's the spice that makes life interesting: wondering if stuff I depend on will be maintained or improved.

At the very least, Github is incredibly professional whether using their web stuff or enterprise image version.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Pollyanna posted:

Yesterday I expressed concern that we were concatenating a bunch of event messages into one instead of sending one event per individual change, and was told that one big event was less cluttered than many small ones. Today, we spent 1.5 hours debugging a production failure only to learn that CloudWatch doesn’t accept events that are 2.2 megabytes large.

I’m just sayin’...:shrug:

If only that person could find a logging solution that can handle tons of small events that maybe also included an easy to search interface...

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Is just checking for *@* the bare minimum? That's what I've used just to validate input. I assume all email addresses have the @.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Doom Mathematic posted:

java script: The Good Parts is very out-of-date now. I wouldn't recommend it.

But it was printed a week ago!

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I assume any javascript book published is instantly outdated because javascript suffers heavily from flavor of the month libraries. I also assume no one writes pure javascript any more either.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

SupSuper posted:

Hey ladies, my stack overflows if you know what I mean. :wiggle:

expert sex change dot com is the best dating site.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Carbon dioxide posted:

code:
 git config --global alias.yolo 'push --force --no-verify'

I can't run this command without open palm smashing the enter key.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Several developers, team leads, and even a lead architect were in an email chain to figure out how to deal with null values in REST api json responses. I stated my case and referenced the json spec for null. They decided that null values for json fields should be represented by the string "NA" going forward.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

CPColin posted:

7. You must send this Code of Conduct to five people within the next thirteen days or you'll receive seven years of bad code!

Fwd: fwd: fwd: code of conduct

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Joda posted:

In a, "this has to fail and rollback if their side fails, and this is the only way to do it" way. Which is pretty much the way we do it here. No one ever tries to find proper solutions, and if they ask for the time, they get shut down. Also, it definitely is a problem. It's really a generic integration against multiple different APIs, that regularly fails to work, and consistently hangs for seconds.

This is where I work except all the APIs are internal instead.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Absurd Alhazred posted:

How do you start saying "GNU"? :allears:

NO

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
At least they are trying, right? That's all any of us can do.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

CPColin posted:

gently caress Groovy. It's my hell at work. I keep fishing around for a replacement and Spring Boot + Thymeleaf looks reasonable, but I don't want to write a bunch of useless getters and setters again, nor do I want to use a hack like Lombok. Ideally, I could use Ceylon with Spring Boot, but that's uncharted territory and Ceylon has one foot in the grave nowadays.

Sounds like you hate Groovy on Grails and not Groovy the language?

I've used Groovy + Spring Boot + Thymeleaf for side projects and it's just fine. To be fair, I've only used Groovy to sidestep some of the verboseness of pure Java. I don't mess with the AST stuff.

Also Groovy and Spock Framework for testing is my favorite and it's literally the only way I can get people to write tests no matter what company I'm at. Truly the path of least resistance.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I didn't notice the highlighting.

Neither did anyone else for 5 years.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
https://twitter.com/kherman/status/1120738998928977920

As a software developer in Texas, the thought of dealing with this gives me anxiety.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Scaramouche posted:

I get mad when people don't post in 40 c
olumn mode

Linus Torvalds account found.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Jazerus posted:

it's because java's getter/setter implementation brain damaged an entire generation by requiring explicit getButts/setButts calls, instead of making them a language feature for easily overloading access and assignment like in a sane language

My coworker has an immutability stick shoved so far up his rear end that in order to change a field on any object, a new object needs to be created first. I blame lombok for allowing him to do this with annotations instead of having to manually write out all this bullshit code. Let me tell you how fun it is to debug code when you can't watch anything.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Clanpot Shake posted:

Sounds like you're getting the worst of both worlds. Having no mutable state in your application is extremely cool and good and makes debugging a breeze.

He's young and prefers implementing patterns everywhere. One of his codebases is incredibly large filled with mappers and entities and models. Can't just pass data from one place to another inside the application!

My personal favorite is this gem:
code:
public class BidirectionalEnumMap<L extends Enum<L>, R extends Enum<R>>

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Turns out the only point of implementation of that class was something that used two enums: BatchProcess and BatchProcessEnum. Both of the enums have the same values inside.

I just had a long discussion with team lead and the dev who did this about it. They are super anal about keeping the request layer separate from the app layer separate from the db layer. I'm all for this if we're talking about logic but this is just objects that aren't different. They are POJOs with slightly different field names. And on top of it, mappers that go from one to the other.

The cherry on top is that most of the controller layer is autogenerated by swagger. I asked what happens when someone alters those files to add additional logic and then later someone changes the API and regenerates the controllers? I just got a shrug as a response. I'm so happy I'll never touch that codebase.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

sunaurus posted:

Nobody can beat this guy

This is his best work, probably

https://www.linkedin.com/in/jonschlinkert/

His linkedin profile is the best. president and founder of so many things, gives talks about entrepreneurship, and also somehow the #1 maintainer of npm with over 400 modules. Watch out Elon Musk!

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
code:
gradle --console plain dependencies
You'd be surprised just how many libs your project depends on. But for Java, the chances of you depending on some bullshit weekend project that throws deprecated warning every other build but is completely abandoned by the author is slim to none.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Soricidus posted:

surprised by how few, maybe. i just tried this (well, the maven equivalent) on our main java project and nearly all the dependencies are things we depend on directly. the only place the dependency tree even starts to get deep is where we use batik to rasterise svg and that's split into a bunch of jars that depend on each other for some reason.

I'm on Spring Boot so there's a lot of dependencies but it's mostly apache stuff and other easily recognizable libs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

ultrafilter posted:

Their library developers need something to do.

Yeah, I agree. I'm pretty sure some team needs to justify their existence so they swung for the fences.