Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

gibbed posted:

I see this all the time and it makes my heart sad :(.

It's the `Even tho register_globals is turned off, I want to use them anyways` move

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Cheesus posted:

Not quite.

That guy wants GET to have more precedence then POST.

So he likes register_globals but finds it too secure?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

RegonaldPointdexter posted:

Not only is it a bad idea, it's not executed well either.

1. $_GET and $_POST instead of $_REQUEST.
2. while(list($key,$val) = each(...)) instead of foreach(... as $key => $val).
3. There's already a function that does exactly this.

So:
Step #1 - Replace that block of code with extract($_REQUEST);
Step #2 - Get rid of it and fix your loving script!

$_REQUEST wouldn't work for this because it goes $_GET -> overwritten by $_POST -> overwritten by $_COOKIE. That code is $_POST -> overwritten by $_GET.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Yes, the default is GPC which is what I used. I figured anyone who writes code like that doesn't know how to edit the php.ini (or isn't allowed to).

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Ryouga Inverse posted:

I can't even figure out what he's thinking. Two minutes of asking a question would have solved his problem.

I remember when I was first trying to figure out how to make a web-based game, having only done one in mIRC script (christ, that's a coding horror all its own) and coming to the conclusion that I was probably going to have to make a separate table for each player.

I had to ask someone how I'd pull that off and she was like "wtf??? NO" and that pretty much fixed me.

I think he's thinking he has to put each visitor into their own row and add a column for each time they click. I'm not sure how one would ever come to that `solution`.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Makes me glad we deal with government contracts. The sales guys can promise the world, but if it's not in writing, they're not getting it. And the RFP writers know to check with the engineering department about anything that they haven't listed before.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

It's as the old saying goes, the most effective password cracker is a lead pipe.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

uncurable mlady posted:

a short history of our repository

- svn
- hm, svn doesn’t work that great, but people don’t really want to change their workflow... git? psh that’s Linux bullshit. how about mercurial, but with wrapper scripts to make it more svn-like to the devs?
- so mercurial is going well, but the repo is like 6 gigs and no one in the other office can check it out over the VPN, we should use a hosted solution. let’s use subrepositories and bitbucket! still mercurial though

I’ve almost got all the poo poo trimmed out so we can enforce clean checkout rather than having pre-staged work directories on each build agent...

If you want to feel better about environment, we switched from CVS to Bazaar. It's the worst of both worlds! I mean, sure, it was an improvement, but at what cost?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

ChickenWing posted:

in before "what tests?"

It compiles, isn't that enough of a test?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

As long as you're not using insert time as the primary key like a vendor of ours does.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

hailthefish posted:

:stonk:

So.. are they like.. hiring? I mean, I'm a clueless retard and even I know better.

Volguus posted:

There is no job security when the place folds 10 years later and you're 10 years older with nothing to show for it.

After ~3 years they decided they didn't want to be in that business anymore so they shut down that product. Apparently we were the only client that they were able to get for it and all our bug reports and support requests were causing issues with their numbers. We've since replaced them with our own in-house solution using their product as an example of what not to do.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

vanilla-js still the best javascript framework

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

The last transition from Python 2 to 3 is going to be so unbelievably painful for all the holdouts.

Start your efforts now people!

We use BZR for our code repository. It's written in Python 2 and abandoned by Canonical. As other software in the tool chain updates to 3, it loses BZR integration. I hope I can convince everyone we need to move to git before it's too late.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Who pays for it and why???

The company that owns wikihow, it's their differentiator. They farm out the artwork to south east Asia. That's why all the drawings are either tracings of stock photos or of people who would look Asian if the drawing skill was better.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Use an IDE that supports code folding if you want to hide sections from view.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

That's my year end goal with our code base (too many undocumented dependencies rn). And then someone decided we should instead minify our code on page load since it's not ready yet.

duz fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 16, 2018

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Ranzear posted:

code:
date_default_timezone_set('America/Chicago');
Just set it in the loving ini!

We do it that way because the timezone is based on which database* it's connecting to and because we don't store our timestamps with timezones in the database. It's really annoying.

* We store the timezone in a table in the database, the database has its own timezone we don't use except for some timestamp columns that use the database's timezone instead.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Or as stated above, you can just learn that null and undefined are different things in Javascript.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

In very early versions of our software decades ago, we only had one, global sequence that each table pulled from to populate its own sequence column. This was back when the insert time was also set to be a unique constraint. They did a lot of terrible things to get a working prototype to take out for bids.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

HappyHippo posted:

I wonder how long until one of these tiny npm packages that has found it's way into a major package is updated to insert a bitcoin miner or something more malicious.

There is already one package that had a rootkit or something in it because the repo had been hacked. It was caught before it had spread very far. And there was the time using sudo would let npm chown /

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Dr. Stab posted:

Where would you store the salt?

In the bluetooth speaker.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

My fav old timey exploit is the galaga one. I'll dig it up when I'm not phone posting.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

duz posted:

My fav old timey exploit is the galaga one. I'll dig it up when I'm not phone posting.

http://computerarcheology.com/Arcade/Galaga/

tl;dr
There's a buffer that holds the active shots that clears as they leave the screen. Unless they initiated on the very edge of the screen (x=0), then they never clear. There's only four enemies that will occasionally fire there and only if they're the only remaining ones. It can take 10-15 minutes of dodging until those enemies have fired enough shots on the edge to fill the buffer. Once the buffer is full, no more enemies can fire until you die.
The game came out in 1981, the first published reference to the bug appears to be in 1983.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Captain Cappy posted:

I just spell out index :^)

You'll never win at code golf with an attitude like that.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

Ah, another that believes in successful failure! My brethren!

We have to do this with one of the vendors we interface with since they apparently are unable to change their code so it's upon us to return success when their system sends invalid data so that it doesn't trigger even worse behavior. So on our side it's labeled something along the lines of FAILED_SUCCESS.

duz fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jul 31, 2018

duz
Jul 11, 2005

duz
Jul 11, 2005

The Fool posted:

I'm a SOAP implementation that doesn't have validation.

Ah, the one that uses string replacement to parse and respond!

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Oh hey, it's our current plan to migrate off bazaar.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

The only correct pronunciation.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yeah, quite a few people in the responses pointed that out. Kind of silly to write up a situation where an error results in "please come back at 0".

Not really, that's what I would expect of something with no error handling.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Magissima posted:

Does PHP not even have a warning for accessing properties of an undefined variable? I knew it was bad but jesus

It does a notice level message but if you don't ever look at the logs and you don't use a modern IDE, you'll never know.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

They added (mostly) real type checking in 7 so if you haven't used it yet, you wouldn't know.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Athas posted:

Does anyone know if These People also put a space before the parens in function calls?

Yes, yes they do.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Going over old pages in our web interface looking for things to mark for cleanup.

code:
<th class="width50"></th>
<th class="width70"></th>
<th class="width75"></th>
<th class="width205"></th>
<th class="width80"></th>
<th class="width80"></th>
<th class="width95"></th>
I think this one will be next.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

There were extensions that did it but it wasn't in vanilla firefox until after chrome got popular.

Nope, It was added in Firefox 3, quite some time before Chrome was officially released.

tankadillo posted:

In addition to what everyone else has said, IIRC Chrome didn't require admin privileges to install and basically installed in one click. It also never hassled you to update or anything. In the days where those were revolutionary ideas, it was a really nice piece of software.

Also it was easy to deploy in enterprise environments while Mozilla didn't even attempt to support enterprises.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Scaramouche posted:

As terrible as it is, the back button is an incredibly powerful metaphor that users have internalized too. But all these new fangled stateless ever-scrolling pages often break it entirely. I stopped using Yahoo News because the broke the back button.

Can you tell that to our project manager who requires an html back button on every page so that the users know they can go back to the previous page?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Airbus A350 software bug forces airlines to turn planes off and on every 149 hours

quote:

In a mandatory airworthiness directive (AD) reissued earlier this week, EASA urged operators to turn their A350s off and on again to prevent "partial or total loss of some avionics systems or functions".

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Sagacity posted:

Is there a particular reason why eslint can't just provide some sane defaults?

It does.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

"Sorry no, our system can't handle that type of change."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

TVs are much cheaper than that now a days.