Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Hadlock posted:

On the flip side, my cars last forever (200,000k miles) and nothing ever breaks on them; I just change the oil every 10K miles and tires every 30K or so.

If you changed your oil every 4-5k miles, your cars would probably last you 250k miles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

discstickers posted:

That's a 5-speed. Non-sport package.

Ran my VIN...
Colour JAPANROT (438)

... what?

E39 540s with 5 speeds never existed. And all 6 speed 540s got the sport package. That example actually looks quite good and has the nice sport seats. I've never liked the BMW comfort seats in anything, especially older models with little adjustment.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

discstickers posted:

That's a 5-speed. Non-sport package.

Yeah it's a 6-speed. At least it has a 6-speed shift knob. :tinfoil:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Electric Bugaloo posted:

If you changed your oil every 4-5k miles, your cars would probably last you 250k miles.

Depends on your use case. Probably half of my mileage is spent @ 70mph on cruise control where the engine just purrs along at 2000-2100rpm for 380 miles/5.5 hrs at a time (I have family halfway across the state of Texas), so there's very little stress on the engine/oil during that time. My commute round trip to work and back is only 6.6 miles so when I say "mostly highway miles" I can actually back it up :)

Also, when a car nears 200,000 miles, it's time to start shopping for the next one anyways :P

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Hadlock posted:

Depends on your use case. Probably half of my mileage is spent @ 70mph on cruise control where the engine just purrs along at 2000-2100rpm for 380 miles/5.5 hrs at a time (I have family halfway across the state of Texas), so there's very little stress on the engine/oil during that time. My commute round trip to work and back is only 6.6 miles so when I say "mostly highway miles" I can actually back it up :)

Also, when a car nears 200,000 miles, it's time to start shopping for the next one anyways :P

Isn't keeping the engine rpm fixed for long periods actually bad as you get uneven wear patterns on internals?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
My buddy sent this from his work. It's a 95 w/ 4k miles.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Jealous Cow posted:

Isn't keeping the engine rpm fixed for long periods actually bad as you get uneven wear patterns on internals?

No, but I'd love to hear your reasoning on that :)

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Hadlock posted:

No, but I'd love to hear your reasoning on that :)

All the break in advice I've ever seen suggests varying engine speed. Seems like it might hold true even in later miles over long periods at a constant speed.

Stardotstar
Jun 2, 2012

Jealous Cow posted:

All the break in advice I've ever seen suggests varying engine speed. Seems like it might hold true even in later miles over long periods at a constant speed.

Ring seating is why they ask you to vary engine speed, not that there's something delicate in the engine that can't handle revs. The best way to seat rings is to do a couple of high-RPM pulls on a warmed up motor.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

revmoo posted:

My buddy sent this from his work. It's a 95 w/ 4k miles.

Is it one of the 15 or so Australian lightweights?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
(ʍouʞ ı əʞoɾ pɐq) ɐɔıɹəɯɐ sı sıɥʇ 'ou

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
It'd be awesome to have an E36 lightweight, but it's unfortunate that it never gets driven.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Maybe they're all track miles! :unsmith:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I'm wonderin if it's legit. The stripes on the wing spacer have me confused because I know the spacers came in the trunk and I wouldn't think they'd have stripes.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Are there any LTWs without stripes? Enthusiast auto has 2 - one with 14k miles, and one with 99(!) miles.

http://enthusiastauto.com/qsearch/?id=4164&form_display=51

http://enthusiastauto.com/qsearch/?id=4167&form_display=51

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Don't think so. That's kind of their trademark.

My buddy said it's legit for sure. I guessed 50k he guessed 50-80k.

Shao821
May 28, 2005

You want SHOCK?! I'll SHOCK you full of SHOCK!

Does that Russian site specifically call out USB options?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1852310

Dude double-locked a drunk guy in his car until the cops came.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Why would you need double locking besides locking drunkards in your car?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
A while back my car suffered the famous trunk harness failure while I was backing it up and locked me in. If it hadn't been for a bad lock actuator in the rear I would have been legitimately trapped since the short blew a fuse. I would have had to call someone to break a window for me or something.

EDIT: What does AAA do when you lock your keys in an E36? (assuming you find a way)

littlewing
Apr 10, 2003

How do you guys feel about replacing an individual tire with one from the same manufacturer but not necessarily the same model line? After checking the tires on my 1600, I'm going to have to replace at least the front passenger side tire as it's almost bald on the inside. A quick search online makes it seem like the specific model isn't made anymore.

I've also got new springs which will go on then to (hopefully) address the camber problem.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I wouldn't. If they're not making it anymore then your good tire probably is due also.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Yeah, at the very least replace both fronts, and probably check your alignment and suspension wear. If one side is wearing significantly faster than the other it sounds like something is out of whack.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

revmoo posted:

A while back my car suffered the famous trunk harness failure while I was backing it up and locked me in. If it hadn't been for a bad lock actuator in the rear I would have been legitimately trapped since the short blew a fuse. I would have had to call someone to break a window for me or something.

EDIT: What does AAA do when you lock your keys in an E36? (assuming you find a way)

I double locked myself inside my E34 one day, don't know how I did it. The windows still worked from the inside, I think? Or maybe mine was already down. I had to crawl out the passenger window and then I remember reading something about double locking and realized I could have just reached out and used the key on the door. And saved myself the embarrassment and strange looks in the grocery story parking lot.

littlewing
Apr 10, 2003

Guinness posted:

Yeah, at the very least replace both fronts, and probably check your alignment and suspension wear. If one side is wearing significantly faster than the other it sounds like something is out of whack.

Only the front passenger is worn. The rears look great and the front driver side is good as well. But I'll swap out both fronts.

What else would I want to look for on the suspension aside from the springs? I'm going to have them all replaced anyways as the current ones are just a little too low and I can't get past the speed bumps with anyone else in the car. The new ones will raise the ride height by about a inch.

I'll check the alignment as well.

revmoo posted:

I wouldn't. If they're not making it anymore then your good tire probably is due also.

Do either of you guys have suggestions for a brand/model? The current ones are 185 60r 14 (Michelin XSE).

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Just got done driving an X5d. Fun car. Would totally drive it to work. I tried the manual sport mode or whatever it was called and it still seemed to want to shift for me which was a bummer. I might not have done it right. Also, auto hold; amazing feature. If you come to a full stop it hols you at a stop until you touch the gas again. Best new car feature I've seen since the HUD.

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

Ok, I hope this isn't too dumb of a question. Is putting 93 octane fuel in a lot, a bad thing in the long run? It's amazing how few gas stations have 91, and I always go up to 93. Plus my dad uses my car for his grocery runs, and he is awesome and always fills it up for me, but the place only has 87/89/93.

Is months of putting in the higher octane bad? I am having a couple odd issues, and I did meet a mechanic at a BMW shop, so I'm eventually gonna bring it in there and have them give it a look through. I don't necessarily think my main 2 issues are caused by this, but it's worth mentioning. I do have a powertrain warranty through the dealer I bought it at, so if something is wrong with the transmission, I'm hoping it's covered. This is an 04 325xi with 67k miles.

-When starting the engine, it doesn't turn over immediately, and takes more spins than I'd care for. It's not the starter, I've had people tell me to flush the injection system, or change the plugs.

-Putting the car into drive doesn't always work as advertised. It will take 15 seconds for it to finally engage, unless I put it into manual mode. When looking online, anyone who has this issue, it's the reverse gear doing it.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

I double locked myself inside my E34 one day, don't know how I did it. The windows still worked from the inside, I think? Or maybe mine was already down. I had to crawl out the passenger window and then I remember reading something about double locking and realized I could have just reached out and used the key on the door. And saved myself the embarrassment and strange looks in the grocery story parking lot.

I once managed to lock myself in my e36 overnight. While very drunk. Mate who I was meant to be crashing with went home early and passed out, not answering his phone or doorbell. My car had a door that didn't lock every time, so I got in and popped the button down on it. Doors wouldn't open. Electric windows wouldn't open. Key was in my mate's flat. Joy oh joy. Thank gently caress the police didn't walk past.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Binge posted:

Ok, I hope this isn't too dumb of a question. Is putting 93 octane fuel in a lot, a bad thing in the long run? It's amazing how few gas stations have 91, and I always go up to 93. Plus my dad uses my car for his grocery runs, and he is awesome and always fills it up for me, but the place only has 87/89/93.

Is months of putting in the higher octane bad? I am having a couple odd issues, and I did meet a mechanic at a BMW shop, so I'm eventually gonna bring it in there and have them give it a look through. I don't necessarily think my main 2 issues are caused by this, but it's worth mentioning. I do have a powertrain warranty through the dealer I bought it at, so if something is wrong with the transmission, I'm hoping it's covered. This is an 04 325xi with 67k miles.

High octane gas won't do anything to your engine. A high octane rating just keeps your fuel from detonating early. Putting too low octane in your car can damage it (or if your car is smart, retards timing and makes your power worse) as the fuel detonates early which causes knocking. The only thing high octane can ruin is your wallet. Do you live in Texas? Everywhere in Texas has 93 only, not 91. Every car I've had that has high compression says "91+" to mean at the minimum, put in 91. Depending on how old your car is (I doubt you'd have this problem anyway) it might actually need 93 instead of 91. As cars get older they might need higher octane to prevent knocking.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jun 23, 2012

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
My understanding is that running too high of an octane, other than being a waste of money, can cause incomplete combustion and thus carbon buildup. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

In my personal situation, since I'm chipped WITHOUT knock sensors, is either mix 50% 93 and 50% 89 which results in 91, or just run 92/93 all day long and don't worry about it. I run the higher octane but I always buy 91 when I can find it. This applies to my car specifically which is only setup to run 91 and nothing else, of course.

E: The Miata is turboed so it gets highest available at the station.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Does anyone know what the minimum octane recommended by BMW for an E34 530i is? My 1992 525i had a sticker right below the fuel gauge that said minimum 91 octane and my 1995 530i just says "premium fuel only".

The fuel around here is 89 for supreme and 92 for premium so I'm going to put premium in regardless, just curious.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

FIRST TIME posted:

Does anyone know what the minimum octane recommended by BMW for an E34 530i is? My 1992 525i had a sticker right below the fuel gauge that said minimum 91 octane and my 1995 530i just says "premium fuel only".

The fuel around here is 89 for supreme and 92 for premium so I'm going to put premium in regardless, just curious.

Most reasonably modern BMWs recommend/require 91+.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
So here's how I spent my morning

As expected, this resolved by blower motors rhythmic speed fluctuations, but not before I looked like a fat contortionist in my apartment parking lot, draped across the passenger seat with most of my torso jammed into the footwell. gently caress whoever designed that part

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Those things are a miracle of engineering.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Guinness posted:

Most reasonably modern BMWs recommend/require 91+.

Fairly sure mine is 89, I seem to think that's the number on the cap and what I've been putting in it all this time.. (95 540i)

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I seem to have made a purchase.

It's a 2000 BMW 540i 6-speed. About 153,000 miles, pretty detailed service history (though it has missing sections). Picked it up for six grand cash.

It isn't perfect:
- Small rust bubbles on trunk lid.
- The driver's side seat adjustment button is broken off.
- The A-pillar and C-pillar cloth is coming off. Some glue should fix that.
- Stereo doesn't think there are CDs in the changer, and there are. I haven't looked into this yet.
- Center taillight doesn't work (will replace bulb tomorrow)
- external temperature sensor isn't working (always reads -40F which must be default)
- coolant expansion tank isn't secured very well. The mount at the top is torn off. It can't go anywhere (like .25" back and it touches the intake pipe) but I should probably secure it better.

I'm loving it but freaking out a bit because I don't know these cars very well. Next weekend I'll probably replace a bunch of fluids/filters and learn a bit more about the car. Mechanically it feels fine. The body is probably about an 8/10 and the interior the same. Suspension feels great, clutch feels great, engine feels more than great. The car sounds amazing.

Some guy was supposed to come down from Michigan on Monday to buy the car (it was in Indianapolis). Oh snap son!

The same dealer has an '00 540iT but it's an automatic. Still, I think it'd make somebody very happy.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

I love that gauge cluster. Looks just like the VDO units from the E30s.

Also, $6k? That's awesome! I should buy one... no, 2 BMWs is enough.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

CornHolio posted:

I seem to have made a purchase.

It's a 2000 BMW 540i 6-speed. About 153,000 miles, pretty detailed service history (though it has missing sections). Picked it up for six grand cash.

It isn't perfect:
- Small rust bubbles on trunk lid.
- The driver's side seat adjustment button is broken off.
- The A-pillar and C-pillar cloth is coming off. Some glue should fix that.
- Stereo doesn't think there are CDs in the changer, and there are. I haven't looked into this yet.
- Center taillight doesn't work (will replace bulb tomorrow)
- external temperature sensor isn't working (always reads -40F which must be default)
- coolant expansion tank isn't secured very well. The mount at the top is torn off. It can't go anywhere (like .25" back and it touches the intake pipe) but I should probably secure it better.

I'm loving it but freaking out a bit because I don't know these cars very well. Next weekend I'll probably replace a bunch of fluids/filters and learn a bit more about the car. Mechanically it feels fine. The body is probably about an 8/10 and the interior the same. Suspension feels great, clutch feels great, engine feels more than great. The car sounds amazing.

Some guy was supposed to come down from Michigan on Monday to buy the car (it was in Indianapolis). Oh snap son!

The same dealer has an '00 540iT but it's an automatic. Still, I think it'd make somebody very happy.

Are those 16s? They look like style 32s, but that definitely isn't the 5-series offset.

Nice car - 540s with the sport seats are so very nice.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

The Third Man posted:

So here's how I spent my morning

As expected, this resolved by blower motors rhythmic speed fluctuations, but not before I looked like a fat contortionist in my apartment parking lot, draped across the passenger seat with most of my torso jammed into the footwell. gently caress whoever designed that part

Did you manage to get the passenger footwell air ducting out without cracking it? I sure didn't!

Unrelated question: I'm losing about a quart of oil every 800 miles. It's brutal and switching to 0W-40 didn't seem to help much. Is there any chance that's just valve stem oil seal failure, or is it almost guaranteed to be piston rings too with that kind of loss?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Definitely need to lose that big sticker and dealer plate frame, but all 540's are awesome.