Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for the avatar man!
Sex, sir, sex. That's what this 323 is. I always loved them and this is just reinforcement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poisoned pie
Jan 15, 2005

Can you feel the colors?
your garage is way tidier than mine is :(

Parabellum
Feb 26, 2004
Si Vis Pace
I just realised that we will no longer be seeing the forklift once you move in. For shame!
Nice work though, the 323 has changed its look many times over

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

The garage looks like it's going to be phenomenal! And is that a pump to a pool I see in there?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Looks like the cardboard got a little too much loving from the resin.

Busting out the long hair.

Painted my lower "eye lids"

Looking better.

Installed the slash gaurds finally.

Filler to smooth imperfections.

A ton of sanding later. Still needs lots more work.

Wet sanded the bumper and repainted.

Cool beans.

Classy.

vonkin
Jun 26, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Lookin good. You going to repaint the entire car piece by piece?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
I don't think any 80s or 90s Japanese hatch could truly be described as pretty, but with the work you've done to it, it now looks ... tidy, I guess would be the best way to sum it up.

It looks like it's ready for some vinyl, beefy mud-flaps, a roll cage, and an inch thick patina of dust from a just-finished rally stage.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

Sockington posted:

Someone Dirty Sanchezed your car.

crudnugget
Nov 14, 2000

*sigh*

Sockington posted:

MR2 will go here. Be some extra 'workin' room by the measure of things.

I'd say so, since the MR2 is roughly the size of that thing's front fender.

The front-end looks great. I was suspect about those fog lights based solely from the picture of the Caravan rockin' 'em from the box, but they fit the front end of your car quite nicely.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I was skeptical about the GT bumper at first but I'm happy to be proven wrong by your modifications. Looks great!

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I miss the forklift already...we should have a memorial

The car looks fantastic BTW

How are you doing the paint work? Aerosol can or do you have equipment? Any tips for an amateur who wants to learn?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Keep up the great work, Sock.

I'm always amazed at how quickly you get things done, and reading this thread (among other project threads) usually ends up with me looking around for yet another stupid junkyard part or item from ipdusa.com to mildly upgrade and maintain my '85 Volvo 240.

So thanks for providing me with the motivation and enthusiasm to keep tinkering on a silly car purely out of the love for lego car parts and the joy of making bodged poo poo work nicely.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

With your stupidly large brakes, make sure your master cylinder can supply enough fluid on each stroke to make them work properly.

One of the big upgrades in brakes for a Hilux is ripping the master cylinder and booster out of a V6 hilux or an 80 series landcruiser and dropping that in- you get a booster thats twice the size and you move up to a 1" bore piston in your Master Cylinder from the stock 3/4" one.

Combine that with slotted rotors and well set up drums in the rear and you can get a 1.6 tonne truck locking all 4 wheels up with ease

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Ferremit posted:

With your stupidly large brakes, make sure your master cylinder can supply enough fluid on each stroke to make them work properly

Probably not going to bother with it for a while. The current setup works fairly well.

Starting off with the motor.

Wiring stripped.

Exhaust manifold off

Growing parts pile

P/S and A/C removed

Testing fitting supercharger with power steering bracket.

Then I remembered that my 1.6 SOHC motor had a by-pass pulley in place for the P/S.

Perfect.

Sizing with exhaust manifold.

My plan is to get my metal worker friend to build me a new inlet and outlet for the supercharger. The outlet will go over the top of the supercharger (it faces towards the block) and the inlet will be turned 180* and face towards the belts rather than towards the exhaust manifold. The exhaust manifold will also get some custom treatment to give the supercharger more clearance. This is all just winter piddling around since I have a spare motor to tool around on.

I'm thinking of using a dual core Honda Civic radiator and running the intercooler pipes on each side of it. I'll size it up using a factory one and then order the Koyo one for the big forced induction day.

The brakes were just an idea incase I find that I can't slow down fast enough with any added power.

poisoned pie
Jan 15, 2005

Can you feel the colors?
I can't believe you're actually going to SC that engine.
Paint the 323 yellow and we can be golden manbaby hatch buddies.

Also if you seriously want some 323 GTR seats, I can keep an eye on our local trade site for some front seats and let you know when they show up. We got heaps of GTR/BMFR's over here.

Probably be about $150-$300NZ for the seats and $150 shipping on slowhaul I imagine, but I don't really know enough about ground shipping.

NoSpoon
Jul 2, 2004

poisoned pie posted:

I can't believe you're actually going to SC that engine.
Paint the 323 yellow and we can be golden manbaby hatch buddies.

Also if you seriously want some 323 GTR seats, I can keep an eye on our local trade site for some front seats and let you know when they show up. We got heaps of GTR/BMFR's over here.

Probably be about $150-$300NZ for the seats and $150 shipping on slowhaul I imagine, but I don't really know enough about ground shipping.

Shipping would be a bit more than that I would imagine - International freight isn't cheap. $500 perhaps? Maybe a bit less. I know someone who sent a few (like three) duvets to somewhere in Asia and that was $300 or so...

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Maybe I missed something but what kind of supercharger is that? Did you snag an Eaton M90 off an old 3800SC at the junkers or something?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
If this is the supercharger from the MR2, what's going on the MR2?

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

8ender posted:

Maybe I missed something but what kind of supercharger is that? Did you snag an Eaton M90 off an old 3800SC at the junkers or something?
Its the S/C off of an MR2.

xp67 posted:

If this is the supercharger from the MR2, what's going on the MR2?
He bought one out of a junker. MR2 still has its S/C.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Kotaru posted:

He bought one out of a junker. MR2 still has its S/C.

Nope. MR2 is going turbo only. :v:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Just got these in the mail today. Taped them to the car to get an idea of fitment.

What flares?

The front will need quite a bit of adjusting.

The back fits fairly close

15x8 rims will lower offset will help fill them out. :)

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

This is good and consider this the reply that makes you feel energized to keep working and taking lots of pictures.

I'm always exceptionally hot for fender flares.

poisoned pie
Jan 15, 2005

Can you feel the colors?
note to self: FX-GT needs flares.

That looks really hot, before the images loaded I was thinking 'oh no...not bolt on flares..thats gonna look awful on that hatch', but was pleasantly surprised to find that not the case.

Keen for some 'rimz init' TSW 17's?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Looks goofy with a skinny wheel but I think that when it is all said and done, it'll look plenty good.

Keep it up man!

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
The biggest problem with incredible offsets and widebody tyte stuff is that you put a huge strain on the wheel bearings, not to mention the huge effect on roll couple, it pretty much ruins all the suspension geometry. It looks cool but unless you need JDM points or wide track for some wacky reason, it is nothing but detrimental.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Baby Hitler posted:

The biggest problem with incredible offsets and widebody tyte stuff is that you put a huge strain on the wheel bearings, not to mention the huge effect on roll couple, it pretty much ruins all the suspension geometry. It looks cool but unless you need JDM points or wide track for some wacky reason, it is nothing but detrimental.

I didn't think an extra inch of rim and tire at this point would make much of a difference, would it? Going from 16x7 with 205/40/16 to 15x8 with 225/50/15. Offset will go from about +40 to ~+20 or so to help make up that inch. I'll be looking at Miata rim fitment as they swap over just fine. They seem to fit the 15x8's with about a +15 to 0 offset. That'll most likely be my direction.

Miata 15x8 with 0 offset.

The front flares are going to be cut down quite a bit so they don't stick out 3+ inches, but rather about 1.5 inches.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
You will get way more tramlining, and torque steer with higher offset wheels. I went to something like 15x7 +20 on my civic with wide tires, and those made it pretty crappy to drive. Steering effort goes way up, and it wears out all the ball joints faster.

But it looks cooler, just make sure you get your wheels first before you cut your flares to make sure you fill them out, because nothing looks worse than a flared car with tucked under tires.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

blindjoe posted:

You will get way more tramlining, and torque steer with higher offset wheels. I went to something like 15x7 +20 on my civic with wide tires, and those made it pretty crappy to drive. Steering effort goes way up, and it wears out all the ball joints faster.

As it stands, the 16x7s with +35 offset causes this so called "tramlining" where it follows grooves in the road. I think some of this has to do with my manual steering though.

I was thinking of running lower offset simply for more tire room. I plan on running the 323 through various auto-x events, and figure the intended tires (225/50/15) mounted on some +15 offset 15x8s, I'd be in pretty good standing. My steering effort is already somewhat interesting with 4 turns lock-to-lock.

Is it really going to suck this much? I drive this thing every day, but want to be able to fit some serious rubber under there for "fun days" and summer driving.

Maybe it's just because the flares stick WAY past where I wanted right now.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Its the nature of moving suspension parts around spatially, the tire centerline is the most important one being where everything is based off. The effect on the traction circle would be pretty immense too. It looks cool, but when real race cars do it they redesign with new control arms to adjust for the change in wheel position. Have a look at new WRX versus WRX STi control arms, AFAIK they are different lengths.

Tramlining on manual steering is absurdly lovely.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I put 16x8 +20 on my E30, and it tramlines quite a bit. Also the 4 turns lock to lock powered rack sucks.

Is there anything I can do to make it tramline less besides putting on skinnier wheels?

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

Sockington posted:

As it stands, the 16x7s with +35 offset causes this so called "tramlining" where it follows grooves in the road. I think some of this has to do with my manual steering though.

I was thinking of running lower offset simply for more tire room. I plan on running the 323 through various auto-x events, and figure the intended tires (225/50/15) mounted on some +15 offset 15x8s, I'd be in pretty good standing. My steering effort is already somewhat interesting with 4 turns lock-to-lock.

Is it really going to suck this much? I drive this thing every day, but want to be able to fit some serious rubber under there for "fun days" and summer driving.

Maybe it's just because the flares stick WAY past where I wanted right now.

Don't get me wrong, I drove that civic for a year like that, with the manual steering and everything. I live in Vancouver, so it sucked trying to parallel park and negotiate tight parkades at low speeds. One thing to remember though, is better tires on smaller wheels will be much more grippy than tires that are too wide too get any heat into them.

215/50/15's is what I ran on my 15x7's, and they were just flush with the stock wheel wells. I think 225's won't stick out enough to require flares, but you know your car better than me.

Also watch the class you will be in, the street classes have a max tire size, but I think you are out of them anyways because of the engine swap. It does suck to have an underprepared/outclassed car for autox because you will always be last.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Wow Sock, those flares look WAY better than I thought they would. I can't wait to see them fitted properly.

fishmech_1.1_RC
Jul 22, 2003

Sockington posted:

My 2002 did this due to an excessive amount of toe out and wore the inside of the front tires to below the wear bar in less than a year :hellyeah:

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car
I had a 15x8.5 and 15x7.5 combo with 195's that I ran on my Civic for a short time, and it was absolute garbage.

It had grip for days, but turn in was sloppy and understeer was ridiculous.

As for the flares, are they really necessary? I've always preferred a well rolled fender but I don't know what you have to work with.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Although this isn't 100% my car content, it's all about how I performed. :dong: Here's some eye candy for those who delve this deep in the project.

Autocross time.

Civic SiR starting things off.

Civic Si

Neon. Check out those sweet lights.

944 turbo.

More Honda love.

MX5

We had a friendly officer checking out the speeds down the maint straight

Some of the paddock area.

The track.

Go little spitfire!

600cc bike engine of fun. The watch is for his protection, clearly.

....and backwards again.

The walk of shame to the finish line.

More cars.

Camera man.

And what would an update be without a video of the 323 slamming through the course? Here's one for ya!

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Here's an in-car view of my first run of the day (near off course and smoked a cone). Be forewarned, it's like the shakiest crack addict is holding the cam.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
Out-loving-standing man, it's really come together. Why did the bike kart do so poorly? (What I gather by the cones in mid flight)

Pimpsolo
Jun 6, 2004

Sockington posted:

Here's an in-car view of my first run of the day (near off course and smoked a cone). Be forewarned, it's like the shakiest crack addict is holding the cam.

I can't believe they allow passengers with loose objects (camera) at your autocross. Looks like a nice run though. Great work!

Tagus
Jul 10, 2007

Drive... just drive.
Sock, your projects are sort of what restore my faith in humanity. I have more than once ended up hours late to things because I'm entranced by your work. I wish I knew as much as you do about cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Kotaru posted:

Out-loving-standing man, it's really come together. Why did the bike kart do so poorly? (What I gather by the cones in mid flight)

That looks like an FSAE kart, substantially, and if it's anything like those, they have far too much power for an amateur driver to handle well. Same reason 600cc supersports aren't recommended to beginners, really.

• Locked thread