Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
The wagon has been throwing a fit this weekend and is currently hosed.

Came home from a highway trip Saturday and noticed a coolant smell getting home. I found the under tray covered in coolant on the drivers side and the overflow bottle empty. The following morning, I checked the hoses and they were tight on that side. I refilled the coolant and let it warm up.

I noticed the fans didn't kick in, but the needle was at roughly normal temp (not over temp at all). Engaging defrost or AC didn't start the fans. AC compressor didn't engage either. The fuses for the AC (interior) and fans (engine bay fuse box) were both fine.

Problem:
- Car dumped about a half gallon (total w/bottle) coolant, but didn't I didn't notice anything on the gauges.
- AC doesn't engage. Radiator fans won't spin up when the car is running.

Checked:
-Fans will very rarely spin up when the the key is "on" but the engine shut off. Heater set on defrost and turned to max. They WILL NOT engage/spin when the engine is running.

-Fuses are good for the fans and the AC.

-Swapped the relays for the horn and AC. The horn continued to work and the AC continued not working.

-Unplugged and re-plugged in the radiator fan connections. Solid "click" heard and tight.

There are four relays that control the fans and they are a somewhat bitch to get out without breaking the plastic fuse-panel clips that hold them in place. I haven't started playing with them yet.

Jamal sent me the radiator fan schematics to go through. He also mentioned trying to jumper the AC to see if it was a low pressure issue (something hit the condensor on the highway?).

drat Subaru being all finicky and non-Miata like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
When the jumper on top of the AC is disconnected, the rad fans will operate as intended on defrost.

Issue with my AC system

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Check the ac compressor clutch springs, apparently some models have issues with them snapping even when fairly new, it's probably a long shot but shouldn't take more than a few seconds to rule out.

Also check the connections for the sensor(s) on the ac lines, maybe a connector is loose and it's stopping the ac from engaging?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If the springs were bad, wouldn't this cause the clutch to be permanently engaged (or at least slipping / screaming)? At least on my Ranger's A/C clutch, the springs hold the plates apart until you apply 12V to the coil, and the magnetic force created is strong enough to pull the plates together.

So if disconnecting the A/C clutch coil changed the behavior, put an ohmmeter across the terminals. Wouldn't be surprised if it has either a short or an open circuit.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

So if disconnecting the A/C clutch coil changed the behavior, put an ohmmeter across the terminals. Wouldn't be surprised if it has either a short or an open circuit.

Need to check the system pressures as well.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
How cold is it?
A lot of AC systems won't fully engage if it is really cold out.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Still doesn't explain the disappearing coolant unless it all just boiled over from the fans not coming on. But this time of year unless it's just idling you probably won't need the fans to kick on. Especially in :canada:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Coincidentally Sockington came to visit the same day this happened. Current theory is that it was parked too close to the BMW E34 and caught chronic coolant loss syndrome.

Also sock, this might be a really stupid thing to ask, but have you checked the overflow bottle for cracks?

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
but if it caught something from one of your vehicles, wouldn't it just sludge over, thus preventing the loss anyways?

:rimshot:

I'm here all week folks!

edit: ok, that was low, even for me.

I'm inclined to think there's a short - even with low pressures, your standard fan should still kick on.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Ordered a Hakko-888 in preparation for the MR2 and my newly British made Impreza.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Just finished ploughing through this thread! I've got a Focus the same vintage that yours was and it's still running well without anything rotting out, and I live in Markham so it's not very far from Sarnia. You truly are the lord of rust. Hell, my job is to find iron oxide and so far you've gotten more of it on you than I have!

Reading this thread made me picture Sarnia roads looking like this, how else can you explain all the rust?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiSqW6pFuR8&t=236s

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Buy/build something crazy. I vote bar in the garage. Threads getting all suburban and poo poo.

Edit: Missed your last post. Proceed. :munch:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
35lb box of wiring heading out to Kremling tonight for his MR2.

Jesus Christ the quotes are expensive to get it to him. :(

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

Sockington posted:

35lb box of wiring heading out to Kremling tonight for his MR2.

Jesus Christ the quotes are expensive to get it to him. :(

Least you're not shipping over seas, then it just gets silly.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
In some cases it is cheaper to ship overseas from/to Canada than from/to the US. I recently ordered a shitload of stuff from Hong Kong and paid something like $6 for shipping vs. the $60-80 it would cost to ship it from the US.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

In some cases it is cheaper to ship overseas from/to Canada than from/to the US. I recently ordered a shitload of stuff from Hong Kong and paid something like $6 for shipping vs. the $60-80 it would cost to ship it from the US.

I thought about just driving it over the border and shipping it from Michigan. :3:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Sockington posted:

I thought about just driving it over the border and shipping it from Michigan. :3:

Do that and stuff it into a large priority mail box. "If it fits, it ships"

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

toplitzin posted:

Do that and stuff it into a large priority mail box. "If it fits, it ships"

That's what she said.

In all seriousness gently caress international postage where the U.S. is concerned, especially businesses. It's so stupidly expensive!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I got 3 day shipping from Hong Kong for $5.99... It would have been like $40 had it been from the states :saddowns:

Kremling
Nov 22, 2011
Shipping being nuts is an understatement. Sure is worth my money though.

Now I just can't wait for it all to arrive. :munch:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Kremling posted:

Shipping being nuts is an understatement. Sure is worth my money though.

Now I just can't wait for it all to arrive. :munch:

Should have enough wiring to go to the moon. You'll have the 85 engine harness, 87 engine harness, and the 87 body harness (fuse panel forward from the engine bay).

You should have more than enough correct coloured wire and plugs to sort out any of the issues on the 85 harness that may come up.

Thanks to your generosity, my new soldering station showed up today (and something else while over in the states).

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
You're gonna like that Hakko. Mine is awesome, I got it for $100 when it was on sale at a local electronics shop.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
EXTREME!!!!!!

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
I'm sad that all the "hobbyist" Hakko's no longer look like black little boxes, and are instead purple or blue/yellow :barf:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

mafoose posted:

I'm sad that all the "hobbyist" Hakko's no longer look like black little boxes, and are instead purple or blue/yellow :barf:

Just the ones sold in North America. We're the only ones who get stuck with the carnival colours.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I'd figuratively kill for a soldering station. It'd make PCB repair so much easier being able to control temperature, not having to fight the 240 cord etc.

Nice purchases.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

You're gonna like that Hakko. Mine is awesome, I got it for $100 when it was on sale at a local electronics shop.

$83 shipped. :3:

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

mafoose posted:

I bought a Weller WES51 years ago, and I'm so glad that it's blue and black and doesn't look like a toy :allears: Soldering stations are such a giant step above a regular iron.

General_Failure posted:

I'd figuratively kill for a soldering station. It'd make PCB repair so much easier being able to control temperature, not having to fight the 240 cord etc.

Nice purchases.
Aoyue makes some temp controlled stations between $40-$60 that are great. Hakko makes a digital that's somewhere around $85, and the analog Weller is around there too. They're all great and completely worth it.

e: USD

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Hypnolobster posted:

I bought a Weller WES51 years ago, and I'm so glad that it's blue and black and doesn't look like a toy :allears: Soldering stations are such a giant step above a regular iron.

Aoyue makes some temp controlled stations between $40-$60 that are great. Hakko makes a digital that's somewhere around $85, and the analog Weller is around there too. They're all great and completely worth it.

So marginally cheaper for me if I didn't get raped on shipping.
Thanks for the names. I know what to look for now.
My current iron is a Weller knockoff. I've had it for at least 5 or 6 years now and it still works great. Unlike the other style of cheap iron which I have a box of with various malfunctions. usually burned away curled up tips. How the hell does that even happen?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

General_Failure posted:

So marginally cheaper for me if I didn't get raped on shipping.
Thanks for the names. I know what to look for now.
My current iron is a Weller knockoff. I've had it for at least 5 or 6 years now and it still works great. Unlike the other style of cheap iron which I have a box of with various malfunctions. usually burned away curled up tips. How the hell does that even happen?

Seriously, do you have anything at your house that works correctly?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

'Sup Roland buddy, I've got a Cube 30 :hfive:

Although it's just loud enough to keep up with the drums, shoulda went with the 40 :smith:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

You Am I posted:

Seriously, do you have anything at your house that works correctly?

Hey, I just said my Weller knockoff works fine. The other ones don't but I hang on to them incase I need to do something like burn wood or melt plastic.

And generally, no. Most things are broken in some way, but it's not from abuse. It's usually from a lot of things operating way past their end of life that can't be replaced. I can repair most things but the clock is still ticking. Sometimes when I can get away with it I salvage things from the local tip (dump). The things people around here throw away is ridiculous. Most things are better than what I own. It's where the commercial drink fridge and the pocket chopper, and a couple of nice mowers came from. There's usually far better stuff but I'm limited with what I can get away with. The people that run the place are cool with it because the waste kind of bothers them too but there are assholes that decide it's their duty to report people to the council for doing so.
I'd like to add that this is from the dump which doesn't accept household waste. The one that does is of course disgusting and I wouldn't touch anything there.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Hypnolobster posted:

Anyone makes some temp controlled stations between $40-$60 that are great. Hakko makes a digital that's somewhere around $85, and the analog Weller is around there too. They're all great and completely worth it.

Yeah, I purposely went with the non-digital one. I hate the idea of setting the temp by holding a button versus the old analog fucker.

leica posted:

'Sup Roland buddy, I've got a Cube 30 :hfive:

Although it's just loud enough to keep up with the drums, shoulda went with the 40 :smith:

I love the sounds it can produce for the price.

I've got a few pickups arriving this week for my MiM fat Strat that I'll be installing with that new Hakko. I've have that Strat for over 12years. :downs:

Also when my dad passed, I inherited his Washburn acoustic I learned on when I was like 12.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Nice. I don't actually play guitar, I'm a drummer, but I got one so me and my son can jam out. I'm still pretty good with my pick hand, it's my drat left hand on the neck that I have a hard time with (fuckin' chords). But it doesn't really matter because like you said the Cube makes awesome noises and it doesn't take much to sound cool :v:

Kremling
Nov 22, 2011
Breaking news: Sock's package arrived today. :ohdear:

Owls to protect the innocent.

You wrap a package so tightly I cannot get in there without ripping and tearing. I was afraid of damaging the precious contents inside...
Three wiring harnesses for the AW11 MR2, an 85 MT ECU, a TVIS plate w/ VSV. And it's rusty.

Oh dear. It's here, the rust is here.

That said these harnesses look absolutely beautiful in relation to my own. I'll take the time to inspect and refresh them before eventually swapping it into my car and doing it all again. But first, an intake manifold job involving that rusty Tvis plate. Perhaps I'll post something about my learning exploits later.

Nevertheless, Thanks Sockington!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Don't forget to splash the harnesses with a little fox urine before you install them.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Don't forget to splash the harnesses with a little fox urine before you install them.

I had to click to find out wtf. For some reason my imagination ran free and I decided it was something done in Britain late in car construction to act as a ward against fire demons. I know it doesn't make sense but I like the thought of someone in a factory adorned with ceremonial robes splashing Rovers with fox urine while chanting some mystical incantation.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Oh my god, that soldering station is badass. Takes almost no time to heat up and is just a delight to work with.

I love the super flexible iron cable versus the normal 110v plug that lovely ones come with.

Having tried a nicer setup, I'll never go back if possible.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

What the gently caress? Is that for real????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Cat Terrist posted:

What the gently caress? Is that for real????

Yes.

• Locked thread