Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

WHAT UP FELLOW POR15 COATED BLUE RIDGE PEARL 2002 IMPREZA OWNER

I finally plowed through all 87 pages of this thread and am caught up.

Finish the drat wagon already! Then find a dirt road road like this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Is the Subaru done yet

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Stardotstar posted:

Paging Dr. Sockington to the rust-colored courtesy phone:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2341562&pagenumber=666#post404224568

I need a bit of advice and I can think of no one more qualified than you.

E: this is Sterndotstern, having trouble unbanning my stupid self.

I've fixed worse.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

If you spent more time working on the subaru and less time gettin' yo wife preggers it'd be done by now :colbert:

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Sockington posted:

Would buying an actual running wagon be a better start at this point? I haven't invested much into the chassis itself and I'm kind of running out of time to get the thing finished before kid #2 drops in a month.

I'd certainly have quite a few weekends worth of upgrades to put on it.

The wife said she'd let me get a stick this time too :3:

Than your TS?

What is left to do on it?

Quit being a bitch and power through it already. :colbert:

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

My friends a tech at the local dealer and he's done headgaskets on 07's before. You are not exempt just because you drive a newer 2.5. Just think of it as a more expensive timing belt job.... And cry.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

daslog posted:

Isn't head gasket failure just something you have to live with when it comes to the boxer engine?

On the 2.5NA's yes. They all do it. That's why they made the changes they did to the FB.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Sockington posted:

Picking up the wagon tomorrow morning. I hope there's no update from the side of the road at 10am cursing about another blown HG.

Subaru motors exist in two states.

Good or hosed.

Pretty quick to tell what is what.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Sockington posted:

Woke up early so I could take care of two things this morning before the wife left for work.

THANK YOU.

First thing I did when I got my 600 dollar legacy.

While I am excited you have a nice new subaru, I am disappointed in the fate of your bugeye. I thought we were going to be everything ripped out and put back in bugeye blue ridge pearl buddies.

Also holy gently caress yes on tires. You can carry so much more speed in turns. I'm driving my RS on winters after killing my high performance summers and it blows dicks.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Sockington posted:

Is a stock WRX catback going to drone on a NA Subaru? I'd like a touch more of the Subaru noise from my wagon's butt.

My friend threw an STi can on his hawkeye. It sounds a little burbly at idle and nothing really different at midrange (hes a pussy and has had the car since new and never redlined it)

On the 06+'s they're a direct bolt up, earlier years you have to rotate the flange.

FWIW, that's what I want to put on my legacy, maybe some ebay UEL headers. The RS is getting nice equal lengths eventually though.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Sockington posted:

Would you be interested in my SOHC heads at any point? They are 100% rebuilt and valves adjusted to be bolt-on-ready.

I'm thinking about getting rid of them since my car runs and all that.

I have a set of heads off my 2002 legacy which are probably okay.

Plus shipping from canada moon land to maine might be dumb.

So far I have:

1x Good EJ251 in the legacy
1x kind of okay but really tired EJ251 in the RS
1x completely hosed EJ251 previous legacy motor

I'm guessing I'll have good heads or at least cams between the RS and dead leggy motor. When the RS motor pops from being a complete twat, I'll pick up another longblock and take a set of cams and have them grinded + slightly decked heads for the RS race car.

Wanna come visit maine and bring me cheap cyl heads? Lobster is cheap these days....

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

My 2002 legacy has that front intake snorkle thing stock

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

And wheres the shirt? What company sends you stickers, that's pretty cool. I know RockAuto.com sends you magnets of which I have quite a few :3:

WHen ever you order something and there is a notes or comments section, I always ask for stickers or free stuff.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

We need to start a rock auto magnet trading thread. I know I have at least one pair of doubles.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Jesus, sock is one of the funniest people on here.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Sockington posted:

before getting too loaded.

Unless you were gonna puke on the trailer, Getting loaded is a non issue... Then again I don't have a "family" or "responsibilities" like you do.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Have you tried jk scrumpys?

http://organicscrumpy.com/

out of all the ciders my sister likes that one the most

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

http://turninconcepts.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_9_10_1357_1363_1426&products_id=321

That's what you really want to fix the shifter slop. The shift stay bushing is dirt cheap and the easiest to swap out. Start there, then replace the rear and the pivot if it's still not tight. The rear and pivot are a lot easier when you have the box out of the car. I wouldn't have touched mine except the box was out already.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

In the general case Subarus have really soft bushings and mounts for the entire powertrain. This is partially because Subaru powertrains, due to being AWD with tons of moving parts, have more resonance issues than a 2WD car, but also because the NVH in general is quite bad because they cheap out on the interior.

The transmission and engine mounts significantly stiffen up the powertrain, and in exchange for a small NVH increase you gain increased throttle response and easier shifts. The car feels a lot closer to what it should have been from the factory. poo poo isn't bucking around front to back and up and down when you get on and off the power.

The Group N engine and transmission mounts were made by Subaru for use in Group N competition, and they also have a Group N complete bushing replacement set which is relatively expensive but also a huge pain to install and often not as good as the urethane bushings available from third parties, and a strut top mount set which is excellent but doesn't offer adjustable caster/camber like the Whiteline Cross-C and Com-Cs.

Also worth doing is the rear outrigger bushings (a large NVH increase, but worth it to get rid of the 'clunk' on fast shifting) and the rear diff bushings but the diff bushings are a huge PITA on GCs.

Some people also do driveshaft carrier bushings which reduces the slack in the driveshaft, but I don't think that's very significant.

The rear trailing arm and lateral link bushings (which I think you're familiar with, IIRC) are also a great way to stiffen up the car but at a great increase of NVH.

edit: Installing any of these parts is SUPER LOUD for the first few weeks but dies down pretty quickly as they get "broken in" and learn to make nice with what they're installed into. I have the Group N engine and transmission mounts as well as a transmission crossmember bushing set and rear subframe lock bolts, and I keep meaning to get around to putting in outrigger and diff bushings.

I have done all of these bushings on my RS.

I had drivetrain slop every time I would stab the pedal. The motor and trans mounts helped, but the biggest issues were the trailing arms. The diff and subframe outriggers helped too, but nothing as wildly dramatic as the trailing arms.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Sockington posted:

I went for a drive last night with the boy and there is definitely a bit more NVH going on with just the trans and pitch stop.

Then again, the trans mount made a HUGE difference in the shift feel. With new shifter bushings and a short shifter, it should start feeling very Un-Subaru soon. :)

Most of that NVH is probably from the pitch stop. I don't know what you replaced it with, but those are known for being noisey. I'm still running my stocker, because the car feels fine with it.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Mail me a subaru one.

I need one for the race car. Going to weld on a 17mm (or is it 19mm, I forget) nut onto it, so I can have an electric impact in the car that can raise the car AND do my lug nuts with the same socket.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Nice job sock.

After driving my Legacy through a blizzard last night, I am in serious need of more lights.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I've rattle canned over chassis saver (cheaper POR) plenty of times and it's fine. My right rear RS quarter panel is all spray over chassis saver, and my legacy rear arches are color match over chassis saver.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I tried to get him to photoshoot while he was live bloggin his work to me, but alas it wasn't in the cards

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

http://organicscrumpy.com/

My sister and I's favorite cider. Had it at the fancy beer bar and after trying only woodchuck, it was like next level woah.

When I'm at trader joes and am not interested in poverty wine, I'll usually grab a 6'er of Newtons Folly Granny Smith cider.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/newtons-folly-granny-smith-draft-cider/82589/

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Northstar :colbert:

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Still more progress than ultimate force!

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Subaru owners are loving idiots.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Good stuff. Have you done trailing arm bushings yet?

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Sockington posted:

I was just thinking about what to tighten in my butt right now.:sissies:

Those are the best bushings you can do on an impreza.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Sockington posted:

Picking up a set of Arctic Claw winter tires mounted on 16" steelies for $400 tomorrow. I'm trying to decide if I should just use them as-is on the Subaru or transfer the tires over to the wife's van for winter and ride out my slippery set of winters.

Decisions. :eng99:

Arctic Claws were my first snow tire ever on my RS. They served many tours of duty snow drifting + a few rallyx events. I like them.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I don't even know why it is legal to sell those POS tiny spring thermostats. For subarus unless its a big spring it goes in the trash.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Wire them up with a relay so they only come on with your high beams, so you can dip to lows for oncoming traffic. That's what I do on my rigs.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

turbo rad in a non turbo car = ports for the waterbox arent used.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Play some smoke on the water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Larrymer posted:

Sock, those cars are incredibly easy to mess with the ECU using ROMRaider to shut off codes. I bought a $100 adapter that's been sitting around for years now (sold car) that we could permanently shut that CEL off and get cruise back. I had to do this on my Saabaru because the secondary air system failed and I sure as poo poo wasn't paying $1k to get cruise to work.

I'm in the Detroit area if you wanted to pop across the border for a quick flash and go.

The NA ECU and turbo ECU's are very different.

If you can open source dump codes on an NA ECU I'm all ears :D

• Locked thread