Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

deviant. posted:

How much juice does that one suck down?

Very little electricity, mostly natural gas. There is an electric exhaust fan but its not very large. I only have estimates on its efficiency based on the bills from the previous owner. He used the garage as his home carpentry business and had it heated all winter. The gas bills were pretty reasonable.

I've only used it a few times since I moved in. The way it delivers heat is kind of neat. You turn it on and it roars away for about 30 seconds, and you're staring at it wondering when its going to work when suddenly you're hot all over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Sockington posted:

As awesome as that'd be, my property is COMPLETELY paved between the house and garage. Running natural gas out there would be a bitch.

There is also this one at Canadian Tire for $300 that is electric:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...2Bsq.%2Bft..jsp

Someone in the Q&A section worked out the power consumption at around $0.75 / Hour to run it. The gas is probably cheaper and quicker than that one but hey, no running a gas line.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

ozziegt posted:

I don't think an electric heater would have "Pilot light for heater"

I wondered about that too but I think its a mistake. The power requirements are 240V / 5000W on a 20A breaker. It would be some kind of hosed up dual type heater to use that much electricity and require natural gas as well.

Also for a cheaper option my father-in-law has this POWERFIST heater in his garage:
http://www.princessauto.com/farm/heating/electric-heaters/8277675-4800-watt-construction-heater-with-enclosed-motor?keyword=heater

Its not bad but you do need to turn it on about 20 minutes before you want to use the garage in the coldest winter months.

8ender fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 27, 2009

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Sorry to derail the thread with talk of heaters again but its getting loving cold and TSC has shop heaters on sale this week Sock:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I don't normally like bronze but that's pretty great.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I'm guessing you've already tried the hot-cold thing on that bolt with a torch and some ice?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

ab0z posted:

This is why I have 5.

This is why I have cars and bikes. At the very worst I could ride a 1966 Yamaha two stroke into work.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Hey Sock have you seen any great cars around your area for under $1500? I'm in the market for a beater.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Landshark posted:

Did anyone else on your street, or province for that matter, put out engine blocks for big trash day?

I'm in the same province and I put out some struts and an axle for garbage day but no engine blocks this week.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Quit stalling and put that engine together :v:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Hello Sock. Would you like another project? I think I'm going to give up on my 02' Subaru Impreza TS Wagon. It seems to have the beginnings of rod knock and its been parked for a month in my driveway. I was going to rebuild the engine but my consulting has had me consumed and my time is worth more at the computer than in the garage.

I'll let it go fairly cheap if you want it. Everything except the engine is pretty great. New front struts, newer brakes, winter tires, summer tires, all the fluids and filters done. Its just a short drive away here in Ingersoll.

8ender fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Apr 10, 2010

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

PM'ed back :haw:

I'm feeling pretty guilty about this Subaru. I really love it and I feel like a deadbeat father abandoning a child. :smith:

Heres a picture from better times

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Sock and I are attempting to plan some sort of crazy scheme to limp the Subaru down to Sarnia. Then things will get awkward when I weep like a little girl signing over the title.

Also Sock, I forgot to mention it has a remote car starter for those cold Canadian mornings :canada:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Just to give everyone some background on this Subaru here's the story:

This thread sort of explains my engine problems:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3254328

Heres a nice video. It usually lasts longer than this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMsBSgqtEJY

To add to this it also needs headgaskets, so the engine has to come out.

I had intended to rebuild the engine but life caught up with me in a serious way and my small business exploded with clients. With the engine starting to rattle at speed the Subaru was parked for a rebuild. A beater Nissan Maxima was purchased. At this point it looks like my time is worth more working on my business so the Subaru has to go. :( We'll need a second beater come winter and its not looking like I'll have any free time till next year for big car projects.

Who knows what's wrong with it. Hell Sock might find its something really simple. This is the first time I've ever been guaranteed full documentation of the life and times of a car after I sell it. If it ends up being some $5 part I'm going to drink myself retarded because I'm selling it to him dirt cheap.

Sock has promised to treat it nice and not complain about the horrible things I've done to it. :unsmith:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Sockington posted:

a boring automatic Subaru

:mad:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Sockington posted:

But seriously, automatic and N/A w/ TS suspension isn't what people call a "performance Subaru".

I know :( Its still loads of fun in the snow.

Also I was planning on doing the AWD 50/50 lock switch mod before I had to park it:
http://www.rs25.com/forums/f8/t99075-4eat-diff-lock-switch-handbrake-mod-torquemada-lite.html

Do this mod. You know you want to. Use a big red switch toggle switch with a flip up cover.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

ozziegt posted:

I can see this thread turning into 8ender and Sockington arguing endlessly about what to do w/ the Subaru.

I have an itemized list of maintenance and modifications I expect to be strictly adhered to :colbert:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Sock I'm planning on picking up a cheap Saab 900 turbo this fall so when I screw that one up you'll have a new project come spring. I'll be like a farm team for your major leagues.

Bucephalus posted:

Know what takes up less space than cars? Motorcycles.

Don't worry, I'll show him the bikes.

8ender fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 14, 2010

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Sockington is late :mad:

Also I plan on riding into London today on my bike to meet my wifes brother when he picks up his new Yamaha.

Its snowing :smith:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Sockington posted:

But it says PLATE right here. I need a new ownership!

Hey but you got to go for a spin in my fly 96' Maxima :v:

Did it make the cool (tragic) metal on metal noise when you started it up again? Also I don't see why it wouldn't pass a safety unless you get a really pedantic mechanic. The only thing that might fail it would be the axle problem.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Heres a video from when I had the timing cover off.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMsBSgqtEJY

To me it sounded like two distinct noises. The first BRAAPP when the car starts (that seems to go away when the oil light turns off) and a second tapping noise that usually goes away or gets quiet when the car warms up.

What lead me to think oil problems was that the first sound (the scariest) happens the first time you start the car but seems to go away even if you stop and start it again a minute later.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

MonkeyNutZ posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XUZH2pk3dQ
pmaicher (uploader) my problem was very very rare. The camshaft pulley became loose and was rocking back and forth in its keyway making this noise. It was amplified by the hollow sti camshafts. replaced the pulley, car runs great now. and quiet. 7 months ago

I love how almost every time an engine part goes bad on a Subaru it produces a diesel like racket.

Sock if you need to get the crankshaft pulley off there is a small black cover the size of a matchbox underneath the air filter which you can open up and use a screwdriver to stop the engine from turning.

I always felt the second noise was piston slap, which is common and Subaru says is "okay" for the engine. Mostly because the second noise would go away when the car warmed up. The first noise was the most concerning.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I need updates :f5:

Whats going on with the Subaru?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Sockington posted:

Had my Subaru guy come by tonight. The motor is coming out (when I get time).

What did he think was wrong with the engine?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Just noticed all that "red dust" around the AC compressor again. I figured that was rust dust. While you have things disassembled you might want to check out that compressor because I remember the clutch being pretty drat loud.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Sockington posted:

There might be a valve cover leak.

Looks like the spark plug seals died. Odd because they were fine the last time I put plugs in. You can get a set of four from a Subie dealer for around $5.

Sockington posted:

8ender... been smoking during service? Found a couple of these.

I smoke constantly during service but all the butts end up on the shop floor :colbert:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Sockington posted:

Oh, I'll be needing WAY more than a couple valve cover grommets for your motor. The PCV valve was also gummy with the coolant/oil mixture - so there had been some contamination somewhere down the line.

I kind of suspected as much :( I had planned on the full gasket set.

I replaced the PCV when I bought the car just as part of my usual new used car maintenance. If its gummed up already then you're probably right and the head gaskets were leaking internally :( Likely the worst of it happened when I moved house last summer with the Subaru and trailer.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Are those new Monroe struts I put in rusting already? :canada:

Also if you get a chance ditch the Monroe struts on the front. Apparently "Sensatrak" means "massive body roll and strange behavior over uneven pavement". The rears are a complete mystery and very likely the factory struts.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I can't figure out what those parts are :(

Also there is a recipe card for making homemade poutine lost somewhere deep inside the dash. I dropped it when I was installing the radio. If you find it then you can reap the delicious rewards.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Sockington posted:

I'm also kinda confused where the poutine instructions played a role in the radio install.

The poutine instructions were just sitting there behind the stock radio when I first took it out to install the new one. I think the recipe card was installed at the factory. It may also mean the car was originally from Quebec.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Some place called Smoke's Poutinerie just opened up near me and they have like a hundred different kinds of delicious poutine.

http://smokespoutinerie.com/

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Sockington posted:

...some bad bearings and lots of gross milky coolant/oil to come. The headgasket had been leaking internally too, so that was the death of the bottom end.

So Subie was making delicious Poutine in the crankcase? :(

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Hey the water pump, tensioner, thermostat, and timing belt are pretty much new. I put them in at around 180k I think. The belt was a Gates, pump was NAPA brand, tensioner genuine Subaru.

Sockington posted:

That's just the engine bay stuff to get. From there, I need to sort out my control arm issue. I was thinking THESE AWESOME JDM SHIZZZZLE would get the job done.

Aluminum doesn't rust either :canada:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Holy poo poo. I thought there was a sludge problem but this is unreal.

:colbert: I changed the oil every 5k like clockwork so its not my fault. I even ran some Seafoam in the oil right before changes a few times.

I have the first owners name and phone number. We can hunt her down together :v:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Flannel jammies spotted. You'll fit right in with the Subaru crowd :v:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Wait, what are you talking about here. I don't remember stripping any threads? I remember using anti-seize because those bolts were rusty as poo poo and thats about it. My memory is really bad :(

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Sockington posted:

Nah, just a broken bolt. The solution? Silicone it back in for appearance?

Now I remember doing that. I think my thought at the time was that it wasn't needed to keep the cover on but I didn't want water getting in there or an open hole. This is why it sucks doing the weekend warrior poo poo. Never enough time to do it right if something goes wrong. :(

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Tear apart the bottom end next. I wanna see the destruction.

Thats strange about the water pump. Its just a white box NAPA unit. Maybe the pulley is a little too large?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Haha, holy poo poo that oil. I'm sorry Sock but I can't stop giggling at that video. :v:

The oil never looked like that when I was changing it in the past. Do you think its been taking on coolant while sitting? Maybe those last few thousand kilometers were creating some sort of super sludge in the engine for god knows what reason? I just don't know how that could have happened in the ~2000kms between the last oil change I did and your video

:psyduck:

For the record I changed the oil on that bastard engine meticulously, avoided Fram filters, and checked my fluids bi-weekly. :colbert:

Now if you guys want to see something I'm not proud of ask Sock to show you the awesome job I did on the driver side ball joint housing after I sheared the pinch bolt off. Sorry Sock, forgot to tell you about that one :(

Edit: Send the slop into Blackstone for analysis and see how long it takes to get a panicked phone call

8ender fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jun 26, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

According to the MOT it had one previous owner. I personally think it was somehow slowly leaking coolant into the engine while sitting. That might explain why the rod knocka knocka was always bad on the first startup of the day but usually fine after that. It would also explain the super sludge that developed while it was sitting in Sock's driveway.

Honestly I never expected it to look that bad inside. I was driving the car daily right up until two weeks before I sold it to Sock. The only reason I stopped driving it was that I was starting to get the death rattle after lifting my foot off the pedal quickly at around 100km/h and I knew if I kept driving it I was asking for a rod through the block. That and the sparkly fairy dust in the last oil change.

• Locked thread