Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«39 »
Research Indicates
Apr 11, 2007

That's coming out of your paycheck.

Video Links:

Trespasser LP Intro Vimeo Viddler
History of Trespasser Vimeo Viddler

Level 1 - The Beach Vimeo Viddler
The Beach 60sec recap Vimeo Viddler

Level 2: The Jungle Road Vimeo Viddler
The Jungle Road 60sec Recap Vimeo Viddler

Level 3: The Industrial Jungle Vimeo Viddler
The Industrial Jungle 60sec recap Vimeo Viddler

Level 4: The Town Vimeo Viddler
The Town 60sec recap Vimeo Viddler

Level 5: The Lab Vimeo Viddler
The Lab 60sec recap Vimeo Viddler

Level 6: The Ascent part 1 Vimeo Viddler
The Ascent part 1 60sec recap Vimeo Viddler

Level 7: The Ascent part 2 Vimeo Viddler
The Ascent part 2 60sec recap Vimeo Viddler

Level 8: The Summit Vimeo Viddler
Trespasser Recap Vimeo Viddler

Game Info:
What's the deal here? We are going to play Trespasser, a Jurassic Park FPS known best for three things:

-Allowing you to use items in the environment as weapons.

-Numerous graphical bugs.

-And an unusual health display system.

What the heck are we doing? In this LP we will be examining each of the 8 levels of Trespasser and discussing the strengths and weaknesses of the game as we go on. The game is infamous for its bugs, both regular and physics-based so expect to see some glitching. I will be playing each level start to finish and providing relevant commentary in a video to be posted in each update. In addition, there will be a 60 second recap video for the ADD kids out there who don't have time for the regular vid. Just so everyone knows what the deal is, this intro should give you an idea of what's going on.

Trespasser LP Intro Vimeo Viddler

Tell me about Trespasser: We are going to travel back in time to late 1998 when the most anticipated game of the year, Trespasser was released. It crashed like a lead balloon and left a legacy of how not to make an FPS. Trespasser reached for the moon and fell short, but deserves to be remembered for the attempt. For a whole lot of info, I direct your attention to this:

History of Trespasser Vimeo Viddler

Trespasser Postmortem at Gamasutra

Fanart

Invalid Validation

The Kins

Research Indicates fucked around with this message at Jun 18, 2008 around 23:37

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
unoriginal

Man, I always remember the terrible ammo counting system for this...she'd shout how many bullets she had as she shot them. Why they didn't just put in a minimalistic hud is beyond me...notheless this should be good.

Dominic Hokage
Nov 11, 2003

Is this some sort of paid LP? It looks and sounds almost as though it was put together professionally.

Kouerson
Mar 5, 2008

If you die in Canada, you die in real life.

You know I've been anticipating this LP for weeks now and I'm glad to see it up and running.

Looking forward to many sexy updates exploring the brick that is Trespasser.

Critical
Aug 22, 2007

I would never tell you anything that wasn't absolutely true
that didn't come right from His
mouth and He wants me to tell you

I've been following this in the Sandcastle, glad to see the actual thread.

We may have found a game worse than Daikatana.

Critical
Aug 22, 2007

I would never tell you anything that wasn't absolutely true
that didn't come right from His
mouth and He wants me to tell you

Reply is not edit.

romscout
Jan 27, 2008

Wow. Really, that's all I can say to this so far. Wow. I hope the fact that this game isn't seen very highly doesn't keep a lot of people from witnessing this wonderful work of art of a LP.

Cybershell
Jun 12, 2007

I hold all of you in the highest contempt

drat, this LP is a future classic, I can already guarantee it. Eagerly awaiting additional updates.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

The cognitive dissonance here is astounding. How can a game seem so awesome yet prove to be so terrible?

dat one portagee
Dec 6, 2006

WAT DOIN BUG?

The 60 second recap is a nice touch.

Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
Highway Traffic
Prediction Razzies

I'm another who has been eagerly awaiting this in the sandcastle. Loving the LP so far, although you sound a little tired and/or upset in the first level video.

Cheer up, you're about to be an LP superstar.

Mister E
Oct 2, 2006

Mr. Forums Poster, Welcome Back. We Missed You.

This game has a rock throwing fetish like you wouldn't believe. And I always loved how Anne could strongarm a hunting rifle and shotgun like nobody's business.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Woohoo, Tresapasser! Been looking forward to this since your post in Sandcastle two weeks ago, Research. Off to a great start.

Illegal Username
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

I thought your voice was from the game at the start.

Seriously, it's like a documentary!

Edit: Also, you saying "Spiffy!" completely deadpan made me laugh like hell for some reason.

Illegal Username fucked around with this message at Apr 6, 2008 around 21:43

Cybershell
Jun 12, 2007

I hold all of you in the highest contempt

Mister E posted:

And I always loved how Anne could strongarm a hunting rifle and shotgun like nobody's business.

At least this game is realistic unlike many other first person shooters in the sense Anne apparently has no experience with firearms and it shows, because she can't use them for poo poo. I mean in Half-Life Gordon Freeman is just a scientist who has probably never fired a gun in his life, but he can just pick up a shotgun or a machine gun and use it like he's been a firearm enthusiast his entire life. At least this game makes it so using the gun is awkward and aiming is extremely difficult.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

by Kewpuh

Forest Fuckery posted:

I thought your voice was from the game at the start.

Seriously, it's like a documentary!

This is exactly what I thought as well its amazing.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Yay! I've been waiting since you posts in the Sandcastle as well. Your voice is what sells it I think. I wish my voice was that awesome.

aarfo
Dec 26, 2003
LARFO lawyer

Is this commissioned or something? Jesus that history of trespasser vidoe was like watching PBS.

Valiant Valium
Jan 1, 2008
Yay for sanity!

I can tell this is going to be either great or disastrous, just like the game itself.

Daniel
Jan 30, 2004

Dignified.

I hope it doesn't take you too long to make these videos because I want more!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Sweet. At last the thread is up and running. And I can problably quit doing LPs since there no way I can beat this ever.

Brass Monkey
Sep 27, 2005

This Compsognathus model at the Oxford University Museum of Natural History shows the animal's narrow skull and long, tapered snout.

Nice! This is a game I for no reason will ever want to play, EVER, but which has a lot of interesting technical things about it. Since I recently did an LP for Lost World it's quite cool to see how they do all the enemies and environments in this game compared to the other one, and you've certainly really good at producing the videos. The sort of cowboy-ish (not sure how to explain it) vibe of your voice also helps a lot in making it feel like sort of a hunting trip.

But the important question remain. Is there a Compsognatus in this game?

MrLonghair
Nov 2, 2004

He works as a film editor, and it really shows! Don't think a regular VLP of this would work very well, it would end up in groaning and moaning, this guy seems like he could maintain a professional image all the way through.

(edit: I do wonder if it's possible to get hold of someone who worked on this game. Would be nice to hear their thoughts now, ten years in the future, reactions to the VLP, etc)

MrLonghair fucked around with this message at Apr 6, 2008 around 21:47

Pangalin
Aug 11, 2007

Grown men are talking.

I think part of it is the voice, sure, but his approach also helps. A lot of LPers would approach all these things with some kind of attempt at humor but RI is completely deadpan about it without sounding bored or annoyed. We could use more LPs like that, just teaching us about the game without trying to put on a three-ring circus.

Rookoo posted:

Why they didn't just put in a minimalistic hud is beyond me

It would be better if the player just had some way to check the rounds in a weapon by just, maybe, looking at it but this is apparently still too advanced, ten years later. Floating text hovering in front of you is a lovely compromise but apparently it's the one everyone's settled on.

Are there any decent games out there that avoid the hackery of the HUD? It's such a great idea but it never seems to take off. Still, a noble attempt for its time, aside from the necessity of constant navel-gazing.

Gummy Joe
Aug 16, 2007

Well, I wouldn't have Ol' Chomper here, that's for sure!

Your voice sounds like something out of Dukes of Hazzard.

And that is AWESOME.

Looking forward to more.

ThirdPartyView
Mar 7, 2005

Always bet on Duke!

Very creative way of pointing out the positives and negatives of the game and what could have been. Looking forward to the next episode.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

ALFREEEEEEEEEED
WHO LEFT THE CAP OFF MY FUCKING GLISTEN

Your editing is really top-notch. I can't say I'd ever consider playing the game, but consider me hooked as far as the LP goes.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

by Kewpuh

I just realised that bit with the raptor where it pauses and stuff, you did that not the game, jesus christ.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

You are a god among men, my friend

A GOD AMONG MEN

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I admit the deed! Tear up the planks, here! Here, the shining of his hideous teeth!

I wish I had your voice.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

01/27/2007 - 09/20/2012
It loved the shit so that others would not have to

While I hate 95% of video LPs, you've had me sold since the Sandcastle test posts. drat fine work so far.

OatmealRaisin
Aug 15, 2007

I'm going to commit more science

Wow, this is probably the most professional LP I've ever seen.

calvino
Jun 7, 2002

This is a really amazing of example of how good production values and research can turn what's a pretty nondescript intro level into something that held my interest more than almost any other video LP I've seen.

Boyz Scout
Nov 3, 2006

No more pigeon rubbing? Life in the vault is about to change...

Loving it so far. Can't wait for more

Aerobic Robot
Dec 11, 2007

ASK ME HOW I HAVE CRYING MELTDOWNS ABOUT BEING A GAY FURRY. PS, I'M 16 YEARS OLD

Holy crap, I think we've found our new Nugs.

Also, Hoga, Have you stopped going on FacePunch?

Research Indicates
Apr 11, 2007

That's coming out of your paycheck.

Hey everyone, thanks for the kind words. You all hit the nail on the head, when you get right down to it Trespasser is not a very interesting game. Sure it's pretty, and can be funny sometimes, but the limitations of 1998 forced huge sections of NOTHING in between the interesting parts. To answer some of your questions:

-There is a HUD that the mod adds to the game. It is terrible and I will show you why next time.

-This LP is not commissioned, I just like putting a lot of work into projects.

-I'm sorry to say there are no Compys in the game. The Trespasser engine only allows 7 enemies per level and the developers didn't want to spend those on something so small I guess. All for the best though, I have no idea how you would fight swarms of anything in this game

-Both Halo and Alien vs Predator have guns with an ammo counter on them, but you'd usually just use the HUD anyway. Anne shouts out the number of remaining bullets and sometimes she's wrong.

-You are all welcome to play along but I will warn you, the reason this LP didn't go up a week and a half ago is because Trespasser killed my laptop and crashes like mad on my good desktop. I am playing and recording on the 10 year old 486 that I first installed Trespasser on back when it first came out. Win95 compatibility mode will not save you.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Research Indicates posted:

-Both Halo and Alien vs Predator have guns with an ammo counter on them, but you'd usually just use the HUD anyway. Anne shouts out the number of remaining bullets and sometimes she's wrong.

That's getting very common in games these days. Especially when it's a sci-fi game. Almost every weapon in Doom 3 for instance have visible ammo counters on them and I think that's the case with Q4 too. Of course I think they had a HUD showing the ammo anyway. Which feels a bit self-defeating.
And I think I heard her say "Possibly *number* in the video.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at Apr 6, 2008 around 22:18

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004
I'm a 19 year old who hangs out with 14 year olds on occasion!

Wow, that is an impressive first update. I cannot wait to see what you have in store for level 2.

Syrg Sapphire
Mar 27, 2007

i know you love me but i'm still gone

Cooked Auto posted:

And I think I heard her say "Possibly *number* in the video.

"About ten" at one point, I think when the hunting rifle was snagged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tasian
Apr 21, 2007

Chock full of book learnin'!

You're playing this game on a 486? Wow, this is a game that needs to combine the words "impressive" and "crappy" together. Imcrapsive?

Really enjoying the LP so far, it's like a little slice of the Discovery Channel, in LP form!

«39 »