Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Research Indicates
Apr 11, 2007

That's coming out of your paycheck.

Video Links:

Trespasser LP Intro Vimeo Viddler
History of Trespasser Vimeo Viddler

Level 1 - The Beach Vimeo Viddler
The Beach 60sec recap Vimeo Viddler

Level 2: The Jungle Road Vimeo Viddler
The Jungle Road 60sec Recap Vimeo Viddler

Level 3: The Industrial Jungle Vimeo Viddler
The Industrial Jungle 60sec recap Vimeo Viddler

Level 4: The Town Vimeo Viddler
The Town 60sec recap Vimeo Viddler

Level 5: The Lab Vimeo Viddler
The Lab 60sec recap Vimeo Viddler

Level 6: The Ascent part 1 Vimeo Viddler
The Ascent part 1 60sec recap Vimeo Viddler

Level 7: The Ascent part 2 Vimeo Viddler
The Ascent part 2 60sec recap Vimeo Viddler

Level 8: The Summit Vimeo Viddler
Trespasser Recap Vimeo Viddler

Game Info:
What's the deal here? We are going to play Trespasser, a Jurassic Park FPS known best for three things:

-Allowing you to use items in the environment as weapons.

-Numerous graphical bugs.

-And an unusual health display system.

What the heck are we doing? In this LP we will be examining each of the 8 levels of Trespasser and discussing the strengths and weaknesses of the game as we go on. The game is infamous for its bugs, both regular and physics-based so expect to see some glitching. I will be playing each level start to finish and providing relevant commentary in a video to be posted in each update. In addition, there will be a 60 second recap video for the ADD kids out there who don't have time for the regular vid. Just so everyone knows what the deal is, this intro should give you an idea of what's going on.

Trespasser LP Intro Vimeo Viddler

Tell me about Trespasser: We are going to travel back in time to late 1998 when the most anticipated game of the year, Trespasser was released. It crashed like a lead balloon and left a legacy of how not to make an FPS. Trespasser reached for the moon and fell short, but deserves to be remembered for the attempt. For a whole lot of info, I direct your attention to this:

History of Trespasser Vimeo Viddler

Trespasser Postmortem at Gamasutra

Fanart

Invalid Validation

The Kins

Research Indicates fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jun 19, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Research Indicates
Apr 11, 2007

Hey everyone, thanks for the kind words. You all hit the nail on the head, when you get right down to it Trespasser is not a very interesting game. Sure it's pretty, and can be funny sometimes, but the limitations of 1998 forced huge sections of NOTHING in between the interesting parts. To answer some of your questions:

-There is a HUD that the mod adds to the game. It is terrible and I will show you why next time.

-This LP is not commissioned, I just like putting a lot of work into projects.

-I'm sorry to say there are no Compys in the game. The Trespasser engine only allows 7 enemies per level and the developers didn't want to spend those on something so small I guess. All for the best though, I have no idea how you would fight swarms of anything in this game

-Both Halo and Alien vs Predator have guns with an ammo counter on them, but you'd usually just use the HUD anyway. Anne shouts out the number of remaining bullets and sometimes she's wrong.

-You are all welcome to play along but I will warn you, the reason this LP didn't go up a week and a half ago is because Trespasser killed my laptop and crashes like mad on my good desktop. I am playing and recording on the 10 year old 486 that I first installed Trespasser on back when it first came out. Win95 compatibility mode will not save you.

Research Indicates
Apr 11, 2007

Got a few more questions to answer here:

-I don't live on a farm but I use a woodstove when I teach wilderness survival classes at the Camp Three Falls mountain man educational program. I've been known to throw tomahawks too.

-The intro for the raptor was me, I needed to pause in a way that didn't look like the game freezing. The sandcastle guys gave me the idea. It was fancier at first but I toned it down after I decided it was too distracting. You can check it out here: http://www.vimeo.com/800475

-I'm in school for editing right now and I had a show at a radio station for a little while. I had the 2am-6am block but I was let go for putting all the stoners to sleep with my voice. Go figure.

-I'm not Joe Don Baker but I love his movies. Those are big boots to fill.

-The 2D/3D trick is how Trespasser manages that massive draw distance but it does cause popping. The ATX2 mod lets you set the distance so far away you hardly notice it.

-That's right, 7 enemies per level. It was something to do with memory alloted for dino AI. It was exactly enough for 7 enemies and since it was hardcoded, no more. The ATX guys found a workaround but it's pretty unstable. With more than 7 dinos there's a checksum with a 4% chance of crashing and it happens 80 times per second. The odds are not on your side there so fan levels with extra enemies only last a few seconds.

-The engine has trouble with opening doors from time to time. Once we hit The Town, we'll see if I have to noclip through the whole mess.

-I edit with Adobe Premiere and do titles and fancy stuff with Adobe After Effects. I should get around to learning the Mac editing suite one of these days too.

Research Indicates
Apr 11, 2007

Wow folks, talk about a runaway hit. I appreciate the comments and will do my best to live up to your expectations. I'll keep answering questions until I get the next level up.

-The original plans for the game had it much more like a survival horror than a classic FPS. All the other things that were dropped forced the developers to simplify everywhere they could, but you can see how the game could have been pretty terrifying with denser foliage and better AI.

-I have a whole list of the moods and emotions the dinos were supposed to have before the whole idea was scrapped. I'll read them in one of the videos.

-Here is the complete list of lines for both Anne and Hammond http://trescom.3dactionplanet.gamespy.com/index.php?page=resources/articles/voicelist.htm
I also recommend this audio presentation Scallenger on the TresCom forums did. He extracted every one of Hammond's lines, then put them in the proper order of events (in the game Hammond jumps around in time). The whole thing is available for download and makes for pretty interesting listening, Richard Attenborough did a fine job on this project. http://trescom.3dactionplanet.gamespy.com/hosted/scall/JurassicTime.htm

-I will do my best to kill an enemy "gangsta" style.

-My setup is recording the game on my old machine while taking notes, then watching it and recording voiceover on my good machine later. I put them together in Adobe Premiere and export an HD video out to Vimeo.

-I hate to disappoint with long wait times but each level upload fills up my weekly limit on Vimeo pretty completely. We are looking at around a week between updates so the cap can reset. I'll find you all some relevant stuff in the meantime though.

-I'm playing on Very Hard so the dinos have more health. Normally you can take down anything with one or two shots and that's no fun.

Research Indicates
Apr 11, 2007

Alright folks, level 2 is live. I appreciate all the comments and I'm doing my best to keep up with the demand. It's a little tricky to answer questions with so many replies though, so if ya'll see that someone said what you wanted to say, don't feel like you need to say it. That said, hope you enjoy the update. Now get to it!

Level 2: The Jungle Road Viddler
Level 2 Recap Viddler

Research Indicates fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 11, 2008

Research Indicates
Apr 11, 2007

Alright sit tight team, looks like it might still be encoding. Give it a few minutes and we should be good.

Edit: Vimeo version goes up on saturday when my cap resets.

Update: Ok folks, I uploaded the video and something went screwy because it didn't encode it afterwards. I'm putting up a new one now, T-4 hours if all goes well.

Update: Level 2 is go!

Research Indicates fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 11, 2008

Research Indicates
Apr 11, 2007

vektuz posted:

So is there some way to download the original from viddler, like you could with vimeo? Sure, I could use flash hax to download the blurry flash vid, I guess... but its just not the same...

Yeah, I just set public downloading today, all the vids should be available in both original .mp4 and in .flv.

Research Indicates
Apr 11, 2007

Sorry about all the problems here folks, looks like I jumped the gun on posting the links. The video stops about 3 minutes short, I'm fixing it now but it's fine for now. It's supposed to end with me introducing the next level and signing off.

Research Indicates fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 11, 2008

Research Indicates
Apr 11, 2007

OatmealRaisin posted:

Wait... Am I crazy or did I count more than 7 raptors in that level?

1 at the beginning
2 with the Triceratops
1 near the Shotgun
2 near the mounted gun
2 near the brachiasaur
1 under the rails

and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few. I thought you said the game could only handle 7 enemies in a level without crashing. :confused:

Also, "Okay! Got me a Benelli Shotgoddamnit!" :v:

Ok, I asked around on the 7 enemies thing and apparently the devs had a workaround where a dead dino was reset and placed further ahead in the level. I guess that means I killed the same raptors 3 or 4 times.

Research Indicates
Apr 11, 2007

Ijuuin Enzan posted:

Can you shoot yourself with the Lindstradt?

I assume so since it's a pistol, though I've never tried. The info says the tranq guns do "tranquilizer" damage. I have no idea how this affects Anne, but I'll test it out next time I find one.

linall posted:

So... am I gay if the thing I liked most about the video was the poetry? Also, how many tries did it take for you to bean that raptor with the skull?

Several. And I never did kill it by swinging the skull, it just wouldn't do damage. On the flip side, I've killed the stegosaurus raptor by swinging that stick before, the clip is in the intro video.

TombsGrave posted:

Who the hells' bones are those on the beach? Clearly they're not ship-bones. Some kind of pleiasaur or maybe a beached whale the compies got to?

It's a skeleton you find throughout the game, I would say it's a Brachiosaur from the size but it has pointy teeth in the skull. I'll have to look into it.

Blackray Jack posted:

I'd like to say thanks for taking on my request to kill an animal 'gangsta' style and I'm eagerly looking forward to it. That said, nice update, it's just too bad the game is so bare so that all you do is walking, shooting, picking things up awkwardly, and on the occasion, dieing.
You've just summed up all of Trespasser in one sentence.

WhatAliceFoundThere posted:

As much as I am loving this LP, the picture in picture put me off a bit, especially the second clip while you were going inside a house and killing a Raptor. I like the idea of it, especially if you feel there would be dead space and it saves me having to dig out the DVD, but I'm not 100% on the execution.

I agree with you, I couldn't think of another way to do it but that dead air was killer. I'll back it off in the future.

Glazius posted:

So, can you bludgeon something to death with an I-beam? Go go Bionic Anne!

Sure as shootin. The game gives you several opportunities to drop things on enemies and on occasion, yourself.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Are you going to say anything about the strongest weapon in the game, the .38 in the abandoned manor?

Sure thing, just as soon as I get there.

Buffis posted:

What happens if you take a rock and throw it straight up, aiming for your head?

Exactly what you think will happen. I stand well away from those stacks of boxes when I knock them over because I've been killed by them more than once.

Veotax posted:

Fantastic second video, I'm a little disappointed that none of the new Dinos got a flashy intro like the Raptor, but I guess the Triceratops never put it's self in a good position for it.
I figure I'll do intros just for the enemies. The trike can attack you but it doesn't show up in the game much.

ElBrak posted:

I just reinstalled this game after watching your videos and have started playing through. I found a few secrets you missed, the main ones being the Calico 1000 submachine gun hidden in the bookcase in the ruined house and the m-14 upstairs in the game house. Still your play through and narration are great.

I had no idea those were in there. If any of you playing along spot something I missed, by all means point it out. And if you happen to get a screenshot of something awesome happening, post them here and I'll put the best ones in a video.

Sutureself posted:

Good update. A couple questions you might be able to answer: are the raptors supposed to jump over the player? It seems a little goofy, but I guess the whole way they move is goofy. More importantly, can you bunnyhop in Trespasser, and are there any waaaacky physics consequences from it?

Bunnyhopping lets you move a bit faster, especially uphill. It also keeps you from hanging up on objects on the ground, and even slight gradations which will stop you cold sometimes. The danger is that the game will decide once in a while that you must have just fallen from 10 feet rather then 1 foot. More than once I've been skipping along doing my own thing when my shins suddenly explode out the tops of my legs and I fall down dead.

In vanilla the raptors cannot jump. The ATX2 mod adds jumping but it's a little touchy sometimes. The raptors often jump clear over you and had to be edited to take no falling damage or they would all commit suicide around you.

Research Indicates
Apr 11, 2007

Also, the full version of Level 2 is up. I've reset the links but here it is again:

http://www.viddler.com/Rsrch_Indicates/videos/9/

Thanks for your patience.

Research Indicates
Apr 11, 2007

goatface posted:

I think what they need to do, is get right up to the genetically enhanced intelligent dinosaurs, and then make Dinosaur Comics: The Movie.

Somebody sort of tried it already. http://www.qwantz.com/peoplearecool.html#videos

Research Indicates
Apr 11, 2007

Travis343 posted:

See, I thought they went extinct because they were so easy to catch and eat. Would people really have hunted them to extinction if they were just disgusting?

I understand they went extinct after explorers introduced non-native predators to the area. Something as harmless as cats could drive a species to nothing if the prey has no way of defending itself.

Research Indicates
Apr 11, 2007

Lost Lore posted:

Well gee I'd hoped this conversation would be interesting and fill time better than "fived and subscribed." Besides, I've always loved extinct species and it seems so do a lot of other people. This is a good thread for it; creatures (game) of another age that was unable to take advantage of its environment and survive, and died out.

Edit: Hello new page

Excellent way to fill time and thanks everyone for keeping the conversation going. I apologize for the delay, my roommate broke my lock and stole my sound recording gear and I'm sorting that out right now. Update soon.

Research Indicates
Apr 11, 2007

Hey everyone, update is live. This time we have Level 3, the Industrial Jungle. Nice collection of new weapons, wrecked aircraft, two new enemies, and third-person mode. Hope you enjoy it.

Level 3: The Industrial Jungle Viddler
The Jungle Road 60sec recap Viddler

Research Indicates
Apr 11, 2007

Der Metzgermeister posted:

Somebody posted this in a GBS Photoshop thread for those Budget moving trucks:

Good golly, that's something else. Thanks for posting here Metz, what thread is it from?

Research Indicates
Apr 11, 2007

Glazius posted:

The ad in my viddler video was for an outdoor play area for infants.

No word on whether it would display to raptor IPs as a food dispenser.

Viddler has been making some interesting choices in which ads to put in the videos lately.

may contain peanuts posted:

I am going to miss the AG-47 but at least it is in Gun Heaven now :angel:

I thought so too but I guess they didn't want it because it came back down right after.

VenomHowell posted:

This is the most relaxed and informative LP I've seen. I love it, and the commentary is absolutely great. You make a train wreck of a game actually fun to watch.

I wonder what T-Rex will do if you die in his vicinity? The Raptors were strangely disturbing as you watched them eat you, does a T-Rex just pick you up and freaking chomp down?

The raptors are fun to watch when you die around them. For some reason the Trex just mills around. He doesn't have an eating animation, though he does have some great attack animations.

Xythar posted:

Hahaha, what the hell was Anne's arm doing towards the end of that?

Also, I have to say I am very impressed by the draw distance for a game as old as this. That part where you climbed to the top of the rock wall and looked over the valley below was genuinely impressive. I think the first time I personally saw an area that big in an FPS was like, Serious Sam Second Encounter.

It's things like this that make me still love this game. It's easy to point and laugh at all the bugs but more than once I've gotten raised eyebrows when I tell someone this game came out in 1998. They really were ahead of their time on several parts of this game, but it's just one of those situations where the sum of the parts is greater than the whole. Trespasser as a completed work didn't get as much attention as some of the individual features should have.

MiscelaneousGamer posted:

I know it's a bit late to mention, but if she's never held and used a gun before, how would she know how many shots are in each gun?

Anyway, first LP I've watched that made me wanna watch the first two vids three times.

Oh, and research, how are you overlaying the video clips on your vids? Or should I be asking which program you do that with?

I'm editing with Adobe Premiere. To overlay I do it just like you would in photoshop, I reduce the size of both clips to half and drag them to either corner. It's not perfect but it's better than what I was doing earlier.

Flying Mariachi posted:

I've been wondering, and maybe I've missed it earlier in the thread, but is there a reason you gave an intro to the raptor species, but not the T-Rex?

That Trex was meant to scare you, you can't fight it so you have to run away. In later levels they are featured much more prominently as you try to solve puzzles with one skulking around, and eventually you have to fight them. I'll introduce the Trex when he's the star of the show.

The Kins posted:

It's like that bit in Tomb Raider 1...

My goodness look at that, never thought of Trespasser as a game that would get much fanart. Fine work there Kins, I appreciate the contribution.

Tyrn posted:

Hahaha, what the hell happened to that raptor near the end of the level 3 recap? He just flips out and goes spinning through the air all of a sudden.

I've found the physics engine has some trouble with enemies jumping off sloped surfaces. I didn't catch it this time but in the past I've seen them jump and just fly away like the gun did.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

If I had to offer any criticism it would be regarding your straight run through of the level. I'm torn on my enjoyment of the sponteneity and the fact that I'm missing cool things like watching the jeep smoosh the raptor. Maybe if you just kept trying till you did it right or if you just included a clip of what would have happened if you had been successful in crushing it (though that might ruin immersion) I don't know, something to consider...I just really wanted that to work out, haha

It's a good point, lots of funny things happen in each level but they rarely happen all in the same run. My solution was to do a straight shot for the main video and go back to show the things I missed in the recap. Could probably be better so if any of you have an improvement for me, mention it here for me.

Research Indicates
Apr 11, 2007

slowbeef posted:

Amazon features a talking parrot named Paco that gives you hints.

http://www.vgmuseum.com/images/c6402/amaz.html

From that screen it looks like it has a similar plot to Congo, what with the satellite uplink, the wrecked expedition, and heading out to find them.

Research Indicates
Apr 11, 2007

The Yellow Ant posted:

Not to be nitpicky, but I might put the movie clip behind the gameplay clip. We've all seen the movies and I don't want to miss any bit of this wonderful LP of a horrible game.

You're going a great job and this LP is sure to live on in Internet glory.

What ever happened to the roommate/recording equipment fiasco?

That's a good point, I'll layer the clips like that now.

Got the roommate thing sorted out and got my gear back. He was hiding it under the sink.

Research Indicates
Apr 11, 2007

Hey everyone, Vimeo versions of Level 3 and the Level 3 recap are online.

Research Indicates
Apr 11, 2007

Don't you worry folks, we'll get through this game no problem. As the later levels get a bit more complicated, I'll be taking an extra day or two to put up new updates. The Town will be up real quick.

To fill the time and do something interesting, let's have a screenshot contest. Everybody playing along is welcome to post your favorite screens of levels I've already covered. We can vote on them and such and I'll put the best ones in the last video. There's some goofy stuff to be seen so get crackin, won't take long to find something.

Here's mine for the Industrial Jungle:

Research Indicates
Apr 11, 2007

Well hey folks, thanks for waiting. Level 4 - The Town is up and ready to go.

Level 4: The Town Vimeo Viddler
The Town 60sec recap Vimeo Viddler

Research Indicates
Apr 11, 2007

BrainWeasel posted:

I can't tell -- when the dinos look like they're limping, is that because you shot them, or because they had trouble properly animating a prowling motion with everything modeled as three or four giant boxes?

The dinos do have a limping animation that kicks in when they are injured, but the poor models cause other physics problems. I see their tails hanging up on things pretty often.

linall posted:

Also, the cache of SMGs at the end of the level. Hammond talks about some guy, is there backstory there? Another reference (Like the monolith)? Or was it just made up and thrown in for kicks?

Harold Greenwood sounded familiar to me but I couldn't find any mention of him in the books. I assume it's just more backstory on the Jurassic Park project written specifically for the game.

CaptainCaveman posted:

I think you missed pointing out the one building in the town that's where Ian Malcolm's daughter did her acrobatic fight against the raptors in the movie.

You're right, that building was there but I didn't have anything worthwhile to say about it. Inside, the building is empty unlike its film counterpart. Only looks good from the outside I suppose.

Blackula69 posted:

Do the tranq guns work on the T. Rex? That'd be interesting to see.

Have the modders you mentioned actually made this a playable game yet?

Tranq guns work the same way as other guns, you can only get a T rex with one if it's already injured. I probably could have dozed one of the T rexes in the fight since they were both badly wounded, but there's a anti T rex specific weapon coming up soon.

Aimbot posted:

Just so you know, that was a Franchi Spas 12 not a "bell shotgun."

god I want a Spas, they are so awesome looking.

Yeah, shame they're illegal in California. This is another example of the game developers changing the name of a weapon to avoid copyrights or some such. The Mac-10 is a Pac-10, the AK-47 is an AG-47, and so on.

bunnyofdoom posted:

I really liked this one, but something has been bugging me, and I'm sorry if you've been asked this already, but it seems that you keep throwing away guns that are half full, instead of keeping them. My question is why?

Oxxidation pretty much has it figured out, I usually toss used weapons in favor of new ones, but the truth of it is I always forget how much ammo I have left and it's gotten me killed more than once. The other issue is physics, if you hit a crate or wall while holding an item there's a good chance you'll drop it. There's also a chance, a low chance but a chance nonetheless, that your arm will flip out and discharge the gun into your face. To avoid this, I generally toss guns before I go into a building.

Research Indicates
Apr 11, 2007

EvilBit posted:

I'm really loving this LP and the bizarre approach of combining bluegrass and relaxing baritone voices with rampant dinosaur horror. I do have one request though: I see where this whole soundtrack thing is going, and it's great. But please, please, PLEASE don't put Frankie & Johnny anywhere NEAR this LP. That song is more of a train wreck than Trespasser itself.

Don't you worry, I only put good music in my videos.

bunnyofdoom posted:

I have a question. In the beach video you said that there was one melee weapon that wasn';t useless. Were you talking about the cattle prod?

Percent20edOut posted:

I'm pretty sure it was the skull that he was talking about.

You guys are close. The cattle prod isn't considered a melee weapon for some reason though the skull is probably the finest throwing weapon in the game. The weapon I was talking about is coming up in the next level, it's a medieval mace in Nedry's office. Like the cattle prod most of the melee weapons damaged the player if they were stowed, leading the developers to remove their ability to do damage. The mace is the one weapon they left alone. It does good damage but you don't want to hang onto it too long.

Research Indicates
Apr 11, 2007

Hey everybody, got level 5 up and running. Hope you enjoy it.

Level 5: The Lab Vimeo Viddler
The Lab 60sec recap Vimeo Viddler

Research Indicates
Apr 11, 2007

CaptainCaveman posted:

With bonus awesome summer road trip video!

Yeah that was my bad, I uploaded it to the account and now the Trespasser vids are linking to it. It was a good road trip though, and I guess it's an opportunity for the spooks to see what I look like.

Research Indicates
Apr 11, 2007

Captain Novolin posted:

It's pretty much a loading screen, and it steals all your stuff because it is evil :(

Although this level makes up for it by giving you the best weapon in the game. Use the infinite ammo cheat and you will never have problems with any dinosaur.

He's right, the developers made the level transitions as seamless as possible so all you see is a quick loading screen and you continue. The entire game is supposed to take place in real time, or approximately 8 hours.

Ben Talbot posted:

Fairly sure there's a raptor that spawns behind you after you use the green keycard to get through the gate heading out of the docks. In fact, I think if you listen carefully after you mention it'll be quite a walk, you can hear it following you.

I believe that's one of the few times they actually have a raptor attack you from behind, but apparently if you're not constantly looking back and just run on it'll lose you.

As I was recording the commentary I noticed the raptor growling but I had no idea where it was coming from. The dock area seems to spawn new raptors at three separate times during the level, as far as I know that doesn't happen anywhere else in the game.

cloudnine posted:

drat, that Cray seqeuence combined with Attenborough's fantastic narration is one of the best I've seen in any videogame ever.

It's just about my favorite part of the game, I agree it's beautifully done. It's not so good in game since the Cray computer hum is way too loud in the background so I muted the sequence and rebuilt it with the audio from the Jurassic Time Project by Scallenger over at TresCom. It's a great collection of all the voiceover clips without the in game noise.

Blackula69 posted:

Buddy is the world's greatest dog. You're Jeremy, right?

This continues to be a great LP - I love the 60sec recap music selections.

How many actual levels are there to Trespasser? Also, didn't the game already play that "When they come to dig up our secrets, they'll come here" slip in the last level? I'd swear I heard it somewhere in the town.

Yup I'm Jeremy.

There are 8 actual levels of Trespasser and a hidden developers test level. There's a code that lets you play it but I've never gotten it to work.

The game recycles a lot of the voice clips throughout the game, you hear Hammond's line about the satellite dish on the mountain at least 4 times.

Ben Talbot posted:

Indeed. Consider the game with denser jungles and larger complex buildings. Consider dinosaurs being able to enter those buildings, or even with destructible environments so larger creatures could come straight through the walls, or raptors through windows. Consider some actually intelligent AI, so raptors would use ambush techniques and the t-rex would indeed lose you if you stood still. Honestly I think they debunked that being reality, but it's a staple of the movies.

There's so much that could be done with the game that I'm disappointed the glitchy mess that is Trespasser is likely all we'll get.

Last I heard there was a Jurassic Park Crysis mod that was coming along pretty well. They have some models of the raptor pen and other things that look pretty spiffy.

Research Indicates
Apr 11, 2007

Sylpher posted:

The Cray sequence was definitely a high point and very awesome of you to take the time to clean it up.

I was reading the Gamasutra article and the developer made it seem like stacked objects were completely broken, but you seemed to manage jumping on stacked things without too much difficulty when you needed to. Is that the patch at work or what is he talking about as far as stacking goes? Making your own stacked up objects, maybe?

Any chance of us seeing some stacked object mayhem?

It's pretty much exactly what Evil Tim said. The frictionless boxes slide around and fall out of their nice piles making some of the puzzles impossible.

The Interlarder posted:

I don't usually read Let's Plays, and I especially stay away from video plays because I've found they're mostly narrated ad-hoc and with terrible voices. This, however, has been an absolute treat to listen to. Awesome job, I love your style and effort.

I appreciate it and I'll do my best to not let you down.

CannonFodder posted:

You need to go back and get the dog. Bring along a mace in case it turned into a zombie. If not, use the mace on Mike for wearing a FLCL shirt.

Kolobus posted:

God damnit, why'd you leave the dog behind? :smith:

Buddy drank out of a stream with 150 times the leathal dose of mercury in it. We went to a quicksilver mine sure, but if he wants to eat the quicksilver, that's his own prerogative. He was probably dead later that day, though I've heard from other people who go to the mine that there is a pack of dogs there now. Maybe Buddy is one of them.

Nibble posted:

I cracked up at you closing the raptor's mouth at about 11 minutes in. I don't know why, but just the absurdity of it with the lack of any explanation was perfect.

What's the song in the recap video? It definitely sounds like Ashokan Farewell, though not the version I'm familiar with.
It's Ashokan Farewell all right, it's listed here as the Bluegrass Mandolin version, part of my Ken Burns soundtrack collection.

Research Indicates
Apr 11, 2007

Vhak, lord of hate posted:

And for a huge derail, RI did you go to high school in Ojai? Because, man, your voice sounds pretty drat familiar.

Sure did, NHS class of 04. I was all over the place though, volunteered with Red Cross, Sherrif's Department, RACES Disaster Services. Got stranded in the valley for a month when the 05 floods wiped out the east and west roads. Who's drat idea was it to make only two roads into the valley?

Got one of these Awful Yearbook Things here

Research Indicates
Apr 11, 2007

Vhak, lord of hate posted:

If Sam ever has another New Years Eve party I'll be sure to make you my patented "Mix everything together and see how it tastes" drink, which as I recall tasted like really sweet vomit, for making such a radical thread. I gotta ask, where are you getting the songs for the 60 second recaps? Are they from some CD that Wait Wait Don't Tell Me released or something?

Good christ, I've met forgotten friends and old enemies at Sam's parties, and now it looks like I've met you. Next we'll have long dead Civil War generals swinging by. Actually that may have already happened, Tianna Grant comes sometimes and she's the direct descendant of General Grant. Let me know next time you hit Sam's place.

Also the music is mostly from the Prairie Home Companion movie soundtrack. I'd use more Prairie Home stuff since it's so darn great but they don't sell recordings of the show.

Research Indicates
Apr 11, 2007

I remember a mod that tried to do what you guys are describing. Pretty sure it was abandoned a while ago but their plan was to just add tons of foliage so you couldn't see anything till it was right on top of you. They put out a test video, and then a trailer for the mod. Can't find the trailer but you can see what they were trying to do here

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x22rot_the-lagoon-prerelease-video_videogames

Research Indicates
Apr 11, 2007

Captain Hair posted:

Me and my young nephew have thoroughly enjoyed watching this LP :) He's a dino-nut but too young to play through trespasser without getting stuck, so this has just been awesome.

I've been downloading the origional movies through Viddler so far so i can stick them on DVD for him, but the movies from level 5 don't seem to have the download option at the bottom, is there any chance you could have a look at why?

Looking forward to the next installment :)

Glad you like it and thanks for pointing out the Viddler thing. Videos are private by default and I forget to change it sometimes, now level 5 is up for download.

Been a crazy week and there should have been an update by now, I'll have it up pretty soon here.

Research Indicates
Apr 11, 2007

Captain Hair posted:

Also, part five is around half the size of part three, yet the same length. Guess you must have changed compressions ;)

Yeah, I was poking around in the encoder settings and it turns out saving the videos at 2mbps and 1mbps look exactly the same but have huge size differences. I'm doing the rest of the vids at 1mbps which should bring the size down considerably.

Research Indicates
Apr 11, 2007

Hey folks, sorry about the delay. I've been offline the last few days after I loaded up and saw this:

Boot drive scratched and I lost most of what I had done for the update so I'm pretty much doing this one twice. I'm recording the commentary today so if all goes well, the update should be up real quick.

Also I'm 22 and at a state university.

Research Indicates
Apr 11, 2007

Looks like things are back on track now, to tide everyone over for a bit here are all the weapon descriptions for the game. This is where the TFR guys get to sigh and shake their heads and tell us what's wrong with these.

Research Indicates
Apr 11, 2007

Alright folks, got the video done. Looks like Vimeo's a little hung up at the moment but I expect it'll finish encoding by tomorrow morning. In the mean time I'll scan a few more pages from the guide for you, my favorite section is the one describing all the dinosaur emotions and how to judge them.

Research Indicates
Apr 11, 2007

Well thanks for waiting everybody, we've got level 6 - The Ascent part 1 ready to go. Hope you enjoy it.

Level 6: The Ascent part 1 Vimeo Viddler
The Ascent part 1 60sec recap Vimeo Viddler

Research Indicates
Apr 11, 2007

adamantium|wang posted:

Vimeo is telling me the Ascent video no longer exists. The recap is fine and Viddler works like a charm though.

Vimeo is telling me there are errors in the video. Everyone sit tight or use Viddler in the meantime, I'm re-uploading the Vimeo version.

Evil Tim posted:

I have noticed a fair bit of hissing static in the background of the videos: is that microphone, or part of the game? The latter wouldn't really surprise me given the silly reverb on the AK, but still, it's worth asking.

It's part of the huge sound environment in the game. As we move from jungle to forest you start to hear birds and cicadas and things. Unfortunately it's pretty low quality sound and cicadas already sound a lot like white noise.

BrainWeasel posted:

You mentioned before that there was a limit on the number of dinos in a level that the engine can handle -- does this mean that if you manage to Solid Snake past that number of raptors, you can prevent ones further down the level from spawning and get away easy? If you get them to follow you but wound them so they limp, can you prevent the engine from forcibly despawning them?

Looks like the limit is not actually the number of dinos, but rather the number of supported AIs. If you kill an enemy its AI resets in another enemy farther up the level, but if you escape from an enemy it goes braindead. Just at the edge of vision, right about where the draw distance is set, you can see them seize up like an engine with no oil. If you approach them they start up again so the limitation is actually how many dinosaurs can be active simultaneously.

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

The only question I have is, could you have killed/injured the T-Rex with that big stone head that fell down the stairs at the end? I haven't watched the recap to see if you used any of the traps to cause damage/death, but it seems like it might be possible. Same with that Tribe C in that one building where the tiles fall down on you, since they seemed to fall slowly enough that if you kept moving they'd not hit you but would probably hit something behind you. Which is actually pretty clever trap design for any people that might expect to be forced to lead anyone to their hidden treasures.

You'd think you could but it doesn't line up with the t-rex correctly. You can kill raptors with it if they're hanging around at the base of the stairs but like the other puzzles in the game, trying to make the physics engine cooperate is like trying to make a toddler write a term paper.

Captain Hair posted:

Awesome, both working at my end though i had to refresh the main vid a few times for it to work. And sorry to bug you RI, but could you stick them as downloadable again please :)

Viddler versions are public downloadable now, sorry about that. Vimeo versions are by default.

Research Indicates
Apr 11, 2007

Sangoeil posted:

What is up with the entertainment industry, dinosaurs, and ancient Meso-American civilizations? Tomb Raider had raptors and rexes in ancient... Atlantian tombs (in Tibet?) or something, there are loads of pen-and-paper examples of these gimmicks in pen-and-paper games, and need I mention Aztec Rex?

Oh I dunno, I liked Aztec Rex but I've been playing a lot of Medieval 2: Total War lately.

MiscelaneousGamer posted:

Actually, here's an idea, the Game would be called "T-rox Mountain Climber".

You play a lonely T-rex, who's set himself a goal of climbing various mountains. On the way you encounter a mean woman (Solid Anne), who has a powerful rifle, several weaker guns and is hellbent on killing you. You have to dodge falling rocks, other traps set off by Anne and then also try to avoid all three shots that Solid Anne's rifle has. Seems easy enough, but there's one catch. There's a rage meter. If this fills too far you go wild and start chasing Anne, which has a high probability of killing you with her rifle, or a cliff.

Upon reaching the top of such mountains, you fuse with the mountain, and become T-rox, a fierce Rock type T-rex, and you get to choose how to get back at Anne. And you get to run around until you wanna move to the next mountain.

I love it, seems like the kind of thing that would be in a cartoony style with over the top voice acting, like Spyro the Dragon.

Lasher posted:

Ffffffffffffuck. Now I HAVE to hear "Little buddy!" in the next update. I just HAVE TO!

Also, seriously, my next LP is dedicated to you, Research Indicates. I mean, if you don't mind I'm so going to have clips from the film intergrated with the Lp when I do "The Warriors"

When I hear "little buddy" I think of the skipper from Gilligan's Island. You can put all the video clips you want into your LP, I don't have a patent on split-screen. If it adds to the project, go for it.

For everyone asking what my next LP is, I was planning on doing Age of Pirates: Caribbean Tales and getting some people together to perform the voices radio drama style. Lately though, I hear no one's done Myst. Maybe that's an option too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Research Indicates
Apr 11, 2007

Sounds like a hit. This is my idea:

Age of Pirates is big on visuals but short on plot and voices. Your main character speaks about 3 lines in the whole game aside from grunts when she takes damage.

I figure this is a good opportunity to get some goons in to play the parts of crewmen, enemy captains, and whatever else. I can put up short scripts in the thread, people record themselves, and I edit the whole mess into episodes as I play through the game start to finish. It's not very long but I think we could add some good content to the game this way, even if it's just people yelling nautical commands into their headsets. Think "Master and Commander" for the language base I'm pulling from.

I've got a goon lined up to do the main character but everything else is up for grabs. I can post parts as I need them and turn episodes around in a few days. If any of you are interested then by all means speak up. It'll be a little while before I do it but I can cut together some Proof of Concept videos for you to see first. Still just an idea so add your thoughts.