Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Sweet. At last the thread is up and running. And I can problably quit doing LPs since there no way I can beat this ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Research Indicates posted:

-Both Halo and Alien vs Predator have guns with an ammo counter on them, but you'd usually just use the HUD anyway. Anne shouts out the number of remaining bullets and sometimes she's wrong.

That's getting very common in games these days. Especially when it's a sci-fi game. Almost every weapon in Doom 3 for instance have visible ammo counters on them and I think that's the case with Q4 too. Of course I think they had a HUD showing the ammo anyway. Which feels a bit self-defeating.
And I think I heard her say "Possibly *number* in the video.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 6, 2008

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Hmm. The viddler link works for me now at least. I tried jumping around a bit and it seems to work.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Apr 11, 2008

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Sweet thing with the inlays from the movie by the way. Do more of that. Although you should've cut the Compy scene at the wife screaming. But that's just me. And do more of it. It was pretty nice.
And you should've mentioned what Hammond said about hunters were in reference to at least the high grass running or the T-rex attack from the movie.

You know what would have been fun? A remake of the game. Or at least a mod to say Crysis or Far Cry. I mean we know those games can really do rain forests worthy. Keep the majority of the mechanics except the wobbly arm and have more dinos in it. Keep the audiofiles from the original game and try to stay true to its mapdesign (but perhaps a bit bigger). It would be nice.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 11, 2008

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Kitfox88 posted:

Something I noticed just now while watching the last few minutes: Is it just me or does taking fall damage seem really random? A lot of times it seemed like you were hitting the ground a lot faster than others, yet Anne wouldn't even make her "OW" noise or anything, whereas others it seems like you just sorta fall down a short straight drop and end up dying instantly.

I think that last time was because he jumped before he landed. Which explains why he didnt take any fall damage in comparison to the other times.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Kitfox88 posted:

You mean like if you jump before falling you can fall farther before fall damage activates?

I'm just guessing really since I head him jump right before he landed and she didnt cry out in pain from the landing.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Tank_Sledgehammer posted:

There was a team that started doing this with the Farcry engine, then the Crysis engine then last I heard they swapped over to the Source engine.

They were at least doing a Jurassic Park mod anyway.

I'm pretty sure, just like all mods, the thing stalled out somewhere after they modeled most of the weapons and got one in-game structure finished. In this case they completed a raptor pen and were still using Gordan Freeman and Alyx Vance as placeholder character models.

I think I know about at least two JP mods for both HL games. No idea what happened to those. Been ages since I saw a news update from any.
I know there's a JP mod in the works for Armed Assault and they released a beta of sorta to Operation Flashpoint. Which is quite fun to play. Mow down dinos with an M16/Ak74 Even it took an absurd amount of shots to do it. Hmm. I wonder if I could whip up something fun with that again. Need to tinker around with it some day.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Actually I think they've said that they wont use that script for JP4. The thing has been mentioned here and there on the forums and I think someone has mentioned that they've tossed the idea into the rubbish bin. But dont quote me on that since Ive only read about it here without any proper source references.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The movie sounds awesome right up to the point where they introduce the new character. Right after that it goes down a bit. Evens out with the Hammond scene and just plunges down right down into the Mariana Trench to hit the bottom with a soft thud. I mean I loved the San Diego scene from JP2 just because it was so awesome. And see more of that would have been gloriously awesome.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

From Earth posted:

If the movie doesn't feature at least one scene in which the Dino-soldiers fly in F16's, I'm going to be sorely disappointed.

Dont you mean T-rexes in F-14s? ;)

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Pfft. Everyone knows that Carcharodontosaurus is way cooler than the Rex or the Raptors. Why? It's name means 'shark tooth lizard', and everything with Shark in the name is awesome. :colbert:

You know what I would love to have? A book with just those really awesome colored drawings of dinosaurs. Just the images and nothing else. Would be so sweet.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 13, 2008

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Tank_Sledgehammer posted:

I would watch a movie about a team of soldiers going back to retrieve the shaving cream can from the original island, but only if they made replicas of a bunch of the sets from the first movie and aged them about 10 years in the jungle environment.
I want to see more of the original Jurassic Park.

And soldiers vs dinosaurs would've been loving awesome.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

I've always wondered if mythologies about dragons could be connected to surviving dinosaurs. I mean, it's in a lot of cultures after all, even though many cultures describes them differently, and they usually could breathe fire.

Then again, breathing fire was also a major attribute of ninjas of the past, so maybe it's the same thing with exaggeration and making exciting fire-side stories.

I remember reading that some researchers believe that some dragon stories stem from people finding old dinosaur bones. Very much like Mammoth skulls were believed to be the skulls of the cyclops.

Speaking of surviving dinosaurs if we peek into the field of cryptozoology aka the study of hidden animals we find a couple of stories of surviving dinosaurs. Mokele-mbembe from Africa is one, who according to eyewitness looks like a Sauropod. (Although looking it up seems that it isnt alone to be a surviving dinosaur in Africa.) And of course there's always the Loch Ness monster and other lake and sea monsters who are usually thought of being plesiosaurs.

And remember. Ninjas can't catch you if you're on fire!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Heh. Yeah some of those books can get a bit ridiculous.
Although I've always been slightly fascinated by Cryptozoology. I mean there's always that off chance that just something special is alive out there. Especially in the oceans. With how much we know of them there might just be a slight chance that there's something down there. I mean we know of the giant squids and such. So why not something else really. Although I can agree that some are perhaps going a bit overboard with it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Even if a living Megalodon would have been interesting I'm very doubtfull the'll be able to live in our oceans and be able to sustain itelf. Which gets even more complicated if you wanna toss in enough of them to allow them to procreate without causing inbreeding. Even if you could say it could be done through Parthenogenesis.
And really, a shark that big would've been noticed somehow. Especially if their behaviour pattern is similar to modern day sharks. The thought is fun but not that plausible. Although the idea of chumming for Great White and suddenly see this loving huge shark instead of a White would have been interesting and very pants filling.

One of my favorites quotes regarding this subject is probably the one that the series Animal X usually ended with.
"It is said that there are stranger things between heaven and earth than we can think of."

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Apr 14, 2008

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Hasnt there been talks about cloning a mammoth recently? Or maybe they just havent reached a good breakthough yet to report about it.

Is there actually enough genome to successfully clone a Dodo? I mean it's been ages now since they got extinct and I havent really read anything about any preserved specimen other than taxidermed ones. Which beckons the question that can you really pull DNA from those?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

In the removed InGen boardmeeting clip from the movie I think they also mentioned that she's okay but hospitalized. And of course her parents were pissed off as hell and sued them. Which they just filed in their lawsuit folder alongside half a dozen other lawsuits.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

And one of the viddler ads for that video is Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo. :raise:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Evil Tim posted:

In the book, the park is destroyed by the not-at-all-imaginary Costa Rican Airforce which blasts the poo poo out of everything with attack helicopters. Accuracy is strictly optional.

I thought they napalmed the poo poo out the island or something.

Its funny though. I barely have any memory of the books but I can remember stuff from the movie without too much trouble. And I definatley dont regret buying the DVD box with all three movies. Even though I wont be rewatching the third one ever.

And I'm suprised that no one has linked to this. I mean it is Jurassic Park related and everything.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Lost Lore posted:

They're still doing those?

Yup.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Olibu posted:

Seriously, it really grates on my ears every time the "music" starts up. Clearly they didn't have the budget to get John Williams, but they could've at least gotten somewhat who wasn't a piece of poo poo.

Apparently they used Bill Brown for the music from what I've read. He's the composer most known for the Rainbow 6 soundtracks and he did the music for C&C Generals among other things.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Wiki doesnt say anything about it but I saw it being mentioned on a rip of the soundtrack at one place. But of course their info could be wrong as well.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Apparently there's a Jurassic Park mod in the works for source called Jurassic Life. Makes me wonder how far it'll ge before before it ends up like the rest of the JP mods. Dead like the dinosaurs.
It does look spiffy though.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Well some games makes you stow away your weapon to let you climb ladders. (FEAR, OFP, R6 among others) The second mechanic would be a bitch to either have to do I would suspect. For that you could just switch to a pistol and have it ready for emergencies. Climbing with an assault rifle or SMG in hand would just be a huge bother. Better to hang it on your back and start climbing normally.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

It's interesting to note that some of the names are true while some have been changed. Like they say Heckler and Koch at one point for the Assault Rifle but then ignore it for the MP5K.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Evil Tim posted:

while the scene of a platoon of US Marines versus a T-rex versus a Spinosaur got cut. Imagine it, watching massive, slow-witted, cold-blooded killing machines versus two dinosaurs.

What?! They omittied such an awesome sounding scene? JP3 would have been ten times as awesome if that was left in.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Lache posted:

I think this is where you write in to Discovery and have them pay you ridiculous amounts of money for them to have you as narration for the next episode of Man vs. Wild (or whatever network it's on).

Screw that. Make him a narrator for a new Walking with Dinosaurs series. Or something similar to what they did with Nigel Marven.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Terashell posted:

I think, between everyone in the thread, we could pony up a copy of the DVDs of Walking with Dinosaurs and the one about before dinosaurs, and just have RI redub the narration.

Easier, and it would still be awesome.

Perhaps, but the narrator for those was okay so there's barely any reason to do that. But RI is perfect to narrate a Dinosaur documentary. That's for sure.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Guess I have to echo the sentiments of others and say that it was a bloody excellent job. I may be as bold to say that this one probably one of the finest video LPs to date that I have seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

tiercel posted:

Richard Attenborough. David Attenborough wouldn't have been reading poetry, he would have been crouched in front of a grazing stegosaurus, saying something like, "Very little is known about these marvelous creatures."

And that would've been really really awesome. Nigel Marven did a good job though for the Walking with Dinosaur spin offs.